Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting an ipad to a whiteboard in a classroom

• 20-10-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

hi
    i'm starting a junior coderdojo in the school i work in in the next couple of months. i will have an ipad which i will need to link up to the whiteboard in the classroom. there is internet (but no wifi but we can probably get that sorted) so i'm wondering what my options are?? can use apple tv or would i be better getting a cable straight from the ipad to the projector??
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bungaro79 wrote: »
    hi
    i'm starting a junior coderdojo in the school i work in in the next couple of months. i will have an ipad which i will need to link up to the whiteboard in the classroom. there is internet (but no wifi but we can probably get that sorted) so i'm wondering what my options are?? can use apple tv or would i be better getting a cable straight from the ipad to the projector??
    thanks

Depends on what connections are on the whiteboard? VGA, HDMI? Adaptors are available for each, but they aren't cheap. You'll find them on the Apple Store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

There are a number of options.

It depends on what you are trying to share.

Something like a chromecast would work if the projector had a HDMI input. There are a number of apps that support this.

You would need wifi to connect the two devices.

The apple TV has an option for wireless.

I use an AIRTAME, This allows a variety of devices to connect. I needed it because it works with a corporate network while the other devices are more home devices and not used for a corporate network

Just to be aware there can be a bit of a lag between the display on the iPad and the display on the projector.

I use the AIRTAME to project powerpoints and photos from my iPhone and I connect the display of my windows tablet wirelessly to it as well. I am evaluating it for rolling out to a number of conference rooms at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks for the replies.
    what i'm hoping to do is use the scratch jr app to show the kids how to code. i just want to be able to have the code up on the screen so the tablet doesn't have to be going around with me. i'm thinking a cable might be the best option so??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Cable is probably the best but since when in the hell did whiteboards get connectors :/ I'm feeling really old (also got a 10 year reunion for my secondary school in the post today).

This springs to mind

skinner.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 n.lane

Apple TV is a great option when a reliable wireless network is available. But if you don't need to carry the iPad with you then just the cable will do fine.

I've used AirServer in my classroom but again this relies on a wireless network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

In the past I used a VGA adapter to connect an iPad to a projector. It always worked well, and cuts out any messing with wireless connections.

Make sure you know what connector type is on the projector, most modern ones are hdmi, but there are still LOTS of older projectors out there that will only have VGA.

Advertisement