Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26-year-old female looking for accommodation in Dublin

Options
  • 20-10-2015 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,

I decided to post here as I am desperate for accommodation in Dublin. I'm sure there are other like me as I'm competing for houses which is ridiculous as it feels like a job search. I would like to live somewhere close to the city centre. The maximum rent for me is €500. If anyone has a single room available, could you please let me know? I would like to live in a safe area as well. If you have a room and there are others competing for it, please don't contact me, I'm fed up of competing with others for a roof over my head. What I want is somewhere with no competition. If there are bills in addition to the rent, please let me know as I'll will just assume the bills are included in the rent. I'm from Laois, I commute to Dublin everyday to work. I've been looking for accommodation for nearly three weeks and I never had this much difficulty before looking for a house here. Sorry for the rant, I'm just so frustrated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

500 including bills is rare for somewhere safe and central. No wonder you're up against hordes of others. You'll probably need to extend your search area or budget. Saw a room in a house on the Navan Road advertised at 350 plus bills last week so they are there if you look further out.

Competition is par for the course so you'll have to be realistic and deal with that. I recently rented a room in my place and had over 100 replies to my ad on daft. And my room would have been outside your budget when bills included so that's what you are up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

OP, I feel your pain. I was in your shoes last week but don't worry, something will turn up soon!

For your requirements I would recommend Dublin 3 (Fairview, Marino, etc) and Dublin 7 (Stoneybatter, Navan Road, etc) and there are definitely places out there within your budget.

Also, if you haven't already got one, set up an account on Daft so that prospective housemates can contact you as well as vice versa- it makes life so much easier and it's what worked for me in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If I was looking for a room now, I’d expect to pay at least 80 euro per week, plus bills, ESB, gas. There’s just way more tenants looking for rooms in Dublin than there is available. Banks are also taking back houses from some landlords, and selling the house, which reduces the stock of rental units. The government needs to do something with tax credits, to encourage or help landlords to stay in business. Look on rent.ie, buyandsell, room for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

Even before this 'rental crisis' you would always have been competing for a room with others, that's the way it goes in Dublin.
    Unfortunately your price range is unrealistic for what it seems you want, unless you go for something like a bedsit maybe with a shared kitchen, that type of thing.
    If you are sending messages to ad's with that type of attitude as you have in your post, I'm not surprised you are getting no where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Constructive posts only please. Some posts deleted.

Do not respond to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If I wanted to rent a room in a house I expect to be interviewed, show ID, pay slip, I work in job x. my wage is x euros per week. I work full time. I’m not an intern. I have a full time job. I work for company x. It was never easy to find a flat in Dublin.

For every flat advertised there is 10 plus potential tenants. It’s like dating, finding a flat, room has always been chaotic and difficult. It’s not pleasant.

There’s a column in the Sunday times, home section, about a woman looking for a flat in Dublin.
    It’s not easy. She’s having a hard time finding anything at all.

And bedsits are illegal now, so finding a single room flat is even harder now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

riclad wrote: »
    IF i was looking for a room now , i,d expect to pay at least 80 euro per week, plus ,bills, esb , gas . Theres just way more tenant,s looking for rooms in dublin than there is avaidable . Banks are also taking back houses from some landlords , and selling the house, which reduces the stock of rental units . The government needs to do something with tax credits ,to encourage or help landlords to stay in business . Look on rent.ie , buyand sell , room for rent.
    80 euro a week would be good in Galway or Cork, not a hope of something decent in Dublin for that at the minute, can barely get that in Bray or other commuter towns these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

'Safe' areas of Dublin are all areas of Dublin bar one or two isolated pockets. If you're going for the traditional 'Big Smoke safe areas' you'll have to up the rent. Go North on the DART line and take a good look around the areas people are telling you are 'bad' areas. Most of them as a myth. <mod snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Try Raheny, on the DART line, good bus service, and room in shared house should cost between €400 and €500. I know an owner/occupier and that's what she charges depending on size of room. Also, if you can hold out till December or January, may be easier to find something. Anecdotally (again from my landlord friend) this time of year is particularly good for landlords, lots of people looking to rent, whereas just before/after Christmas always a bad time to be looking for a tenant.

Advertisement