Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog doesn't want to get into car

• 20-10-2015 9:46pm

So my dog (springer cross, 8 yrs) doesn't want to get into the car anymore. He used to run and dive up into the boot, he loves his walks and knew getting into the car meant walks. He used to cry with excitement until we got wherever we were going.

Now he goes mad in the house to go for a walk but when we go out and I open the boot, he just sits on the ground looking sad. He won't even jump in after a ball or treat, and he loves them! Then when I put him in he just cries.
    He enjoys his walks just as much as ever when we get there.

I recently started driving a different car & I'm wondering if it could be that? The make of car is the same, just slightly different models. He is still in the boot, its a hatchback with a grill up between it and the back seats.

His tail is between his legs & he looks sad when I want him to get in, I just don't know what's wrong with him.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oooohhh... given his age, I'd be getting him checked at the vet, especially for any musculoskeletal discomfort. Something may be jagging him as he makes the leap. It might be something that's not really bothering him during normal movement, but just tweaks when he jumps up.
    Another thing to consider is that there's nothing wrong with him now, but one of the times he jumped in a couple of weeks ago, he may have got a jag of pain if he twisted or landed awkwardly, and the memory of this is stopping him from jumping in now.

DBB, yea I did think maybe it was something like that too, I have noticed him get a lot slower around the house and sometimes after a long run he is a bit grumpy.
    I was worried he was maybe in pain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That pretty much confirms that you need to get him checked out! Your vet will most likely be able to tell you pretty quickly if there's a problem. Keep us posted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

My springer (who's not one yet) puts the breaks on when she knows she's getting in the car, I think (guessing) with her it's more a travel sickness thing, she drools a bit and it's about the only time she's ever subdued! We have to lift her in but she is happy to jump out, and she's back to 100 mph after that. She's never liked the car for some reason.

Yea, its a recent thing with mine, that's why I thought it could be the change of car! He's not great with change.
    I'll ask the vet what he reckons, he did have cruciate problems couple years ago so maybe he's just getting old and sore.
    I'll try him with a bit of a step up to the car as well, see if that makes any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Jumping in/out of a boot is a big leap for the older dogs. I always lift my guys in/out, but they are smaller... My friend has one of these for her lab -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Plastic-Folding-Lightweight-Transport/dp/B015R9I03W/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1445425224&sr=8-8&keywords=dog+ramp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

if theres 1 thing I have learned with springers over the years as the get older they can start to develop little hip issues that were not noticeable in their younger years and jumping in to a car boot would just be the trigger for a little twinge

so as dbb has rightly advised above a trip to the vet may be in order

Advertisement