Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinect for Xbox One - is it worth getting?

Options
  • 20-10-2015 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

As above, noticed that they are quite cheap now in cex and thought about picking one up.

New price seems quite high though, on amazon at least.

What's the verdict on them from a usability point of view? I've one on the 360 but never use it.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

amadablam wrote: »
    As above, noticed that they are quite cheap now in cex and thought about picking one up.

What's the verdict on them from a usability point of view? I've one on the 360 but never use it.

Useless for games, but great for controlling your console with your voice. The voice control is probably going to get better too, what with Cortana coming next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Thanks CIAB :)

I think ill hold off for a while and use the money for HD upgrades on the Xbone and PS4 as they are probably more of a priority.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't pay more that €50 and keep your expectations in check and it's a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I recently bought one from CEX following some of the lads recommendations on boards. I have to say I am loving it. It adds so much to the console. I never thought I would like it or want it but now that I have it, I can see what I was missing.

I watch alot of Twitch and TV on the XO and it is great when just lying on the couch, you don't have to move to change channel etc. The voice commands are very responsive.

Also, it is good for some games, it actually adds some nice features to some games. I admit that it is not being utilized as much as it should be for gaming but for example, I bought Alien Isolation and it really adds to this game. The fact that the alien can hear you though the kinect and come find you is unreal. Infact all the AI in the game reacts to the sound you make in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

amadablam wrote: »

My Kinect recently died and I quickly learned how much you miss it when it's gone.

OK, there are seriously few games that utilise it at all (Battlefield 4, Alien Isolation, Kinect Sports, Just Dance, Xbox Fitness, Boom Ball) but it is the other features that it does that make it worth it.

Voice Controls - Absolutely useful: Pause or play a video without needing to find the remote, switch to another App / Game, Snap something to the side of the screen.
    Device Controls - Brilliant: I missed this so much when the Kinect broke. Turning on the Xbox will automatically power on all the connected devices that are configured - TV, Saorview box, Surround Sound system. Likewise, turning off the xbox does the same.

It felt so antediluvian having to go and switch on the TV myself, or to switch it off when I was finished playing. Just an "XBox, On" and the whole lot is fired up before I've even found the Xbox Controller.

Luckily, I got the Kinect replaced for free by Xbox support. But, I would thoroughly recommend it for anyone - €50 is about the right price, though. I wouldn't pay the €160 that most shops are looking for a new one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement