Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School rules conflict with religious beliefs

Options
  • 21-10-2015 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am a student of Moate Community School in Co.Westmeath and I am a Muslim. My yearhead has asked me to have a clean shave by tomorrow saying it is in the school rules sure enough it is "Boys must be clean shaved." I am not sure if my yearhead is aware that I am a Muslim but next time she confronts me about the issue I will tell her. I think this is a rule is very hypocritical from my bearded principle and I really don't see how it affects my education. On the other hand I am trying to avoid confrontation with the school as I have younger siblings
    Who the school I know will dislike more even after I am gone as a result of me. Muhammad doesn't exactly say not to shave but it is a religious tradition I want to keep. Or should I just shave and fly below the radar. To shave or not to shave? Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Years ago ,when I lived in the Middle East, most men were clean shaven. It varied by area. In Yemen, Saudi and the Gulf states there were more beards, but quite a few men shaved there also, it is a personal choice. It really depends on how strongly you feel about it. You don't have to make it part of your religious identity if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the Prophet didn't say you should not shave, why have you stated (in the thread title) that shaving is against your religious beliefs? How can you assert that not shaving is a 'religious tradition' when millions of Muslim men shave daily?

You say that having a beard doesn't affect your education which of course is true but the girls in your school could say the same about wearing make-up which I'm pretty sure is also forbidden in the same school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The code of behaviour says you should be neat and tidy in appearance. I didn't see anything in relation to being clean shaven only haircuts.

What have your parents said?
    I know Muslims who shave so it's really down to you and your families position on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

There is no conflict with your religion.

To be honest, for the sake of integration and co-operation, I'd just get on with it and have a shave. It'll make your beard grow faster once you get out of there anyway.

The alternative is to argue your case and get permission. But in that case you are getting special treatment under a false pretense. I'm pretty sure your religion will have something to say about that.

Straw-man argument is made of straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Shaving conflicts with adolescent rule testing...?

The beard is a cultural tradition. Not a religious one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

I remember being asked to cut my hair in school (I had long hair). I talked to the principle and reached a compromise. Maybe a neatly trimmed beard would work?

If you feel verrrrry strongly maybe look into a different school but I wouldn't kick up too much of a fuss as long as the rules are applied equally to all students. If not then it might be time to kick up and complain.

Advertisement