Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the dungarvan valley caves project?

• 21-10-2015 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Do you think it's in anyway promising ? Will they find anything , I've been paying close attention to the project since 2013 and I don't see why they wouldn't find any paleolithic artifacts ..its a bit of a mystery really .

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh I have high hopes that they find something paleolithic there or in other cave systems that survived the scouring of the ice. There surely must be some surviving layers that go back into the last 100,000 years and caves seem the obvious possible time capsules. I'm so jealous of England having those layers. Then again paleo archaeology has been found as far north as Scotland(various flint lithics, bifaces and such), so it really is puzzling nothing has been found here yet. I reckon that on top of the lack of obvious layers from that time it's partly because few have been actively looking.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Compare any findings to the Creswell Crags on Derbyshire-Nottingham border, evidence of population for over 50'000 years.

Also contain Europe's most northerly cave-paintings!!

Very cool,

Hopefully something will be found in the Dungarvan Caves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Fighting leprechaun 20

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh I have high hopes that they find something paleolithic there or in other cave systems that survived the scouring of the ice. There surely must be some surviving layers that go back into the last 100,000 years and caves seem the obvious possible time capsules. I'm so jealous of England having those layers. Then again paleo archaeology has been found as far north as Scotland(various flint lithics, bifaces and such), so it really is puzzling nothing has been found here yet. I reckon that on top of the lack of obvious layers from that time it's partly because few have been actively looking.

I completely agree wibbs , if u want to know more *search.. *Excavation Reports and Pictures for 2014 - Royal Irish Academy*

The problem as you pointed out is layers , the ice age did a number of the surface landscape , strip Eire almost clean , not so sure about Scotland it's fairly northerly ..

Sadly this area of research is so poorly founded that I suspect it may take a very long time and as far as l know this project is the only one of its kind for paleo Eire , it's a fairly small team too, I'll be watching carefully anyhow.

I also have no doubt that given enough time they will find something. .

Advertisement