Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban length reduction?

Options
  • 21-10-2015 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there

I was banned from AH for a stupid remark and I won't argue with that. I do however feel that the 3 month duration is disproportionate as it was taken out of context considering my other contributions in the thread. I would like to explain myself and my position.

The thread related to a €60K compensation pay out to a Roma family who's child was wrongfully taken by gardai.

I said...

The gypsy kingpin back home will be pleased with this windfall.

Now I will admit, as a stand alone comment, this does not read well - hence I will not argue with a ban. However, I was not asserting that this family were "kingpins" but rather that due to structures within Roma society, it is highly likely that this family will have to handover some of this money to Roma "authorities" in their country of origin.

I went on to say

I will concede that we don't know the circumstances of this particular family but if they are not subject to some Roma Mafia tax, they are an exception not to mention lucky.

I made these comments based on my experiences living in Romania and that of my long term partner (Romanian). Social structures within Roma society involve a kind of feudal/mafia crossover with "kings" at the top who apply taxes to their subjects who are sent out across Europe to gather revenue, often against their will. These "kingpins" use this revenue to construct lavish palaces and enforce their will through violence, intimidation and shunning.

My position on the story at hand is the this family completely deserve the payment (had it been an Irish family it would have been many multiples of this amount) but that unfortunately given the harsh reality of Roma life, they will be unlikely to keep most of it.

The mod who imposed the ban also commented on my "appalling" record. I did the maths and about a quarter of one percent of my posts have drawn mod action - hardly appalling?

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify my position, apologise for my initial stupid comment and attempt to put it in some kind of context. As I said, I won't argue that a ban is warranted but submit that the 3 month duration is excessive.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hello suicide_circus.

Can you please confirm that you have followed the procedure in the large graphic at the top of this page? It's directly under the blue banner with the white words that read: "What to do if you've been banned".

Once you verify you've followed the above, you can expect to hear from a CMod in due course.

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sorry, I somehow missed the enormous graphic :P

PM sent to mod in question, will report back once they reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Issue resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Super! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement