Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 MVP Candidates

• 21-10-2015 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

So we are a fair chunk of the way through the season. Who do you think is a shout for MVP?

The big two quarterbacks are obvious places to start. Brady is playing lights out any time I have seen him, and it is pretty impressive what Rodgers is doing without his favourite targets. I would shade it to Brady. I haven't seen any betting, but I would imagine these two are way ahead of the field.

But on numbers, and performances I have seen so far, I would have to give a shout out for my old friend Andy Dalton. The Red Rifle is absolutely smoking this season. I think he might struggle to keep his current level up, but if he can he is right in the conversation. A completely different QB, but playing nearly as well is Cam Newton. He has been seriously clutch, running superbly and winning games with mediocre weapons.

And how about other positions? Freeman is punching in touchdowns, running big plays, catching 60yds a game. Ivory is shredding defences. Pick any one of Denver's defence, but let's go with Ware and Miller for the hell of it. Matthews has been a beast for Green Bay.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Right now I think Tom Brady is leading the way just ahead of Dalton and Rodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Outside of QB its hard to pick because they need to have a stellar year

MVP
    Brady
    Dalton
    Rodgers
    Cam

Offensive MVP
    Freeman
    Ivory
    Julio Jones
    Hopkins

Defensive MVP
    Aaron Donald
    Clay Matthews
    Demarcus Ware
    Von Miller

Comeback player of the year
    Chris Johnson!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

eagle eye wrote: »
    Right now I think Tom Brady is leading the way just ahead of Dalton and Rodgers.

That is precisely how I see it at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Comfortably Brady for me, at the moment.

Side note, what Hopkins is doing is absolutely insane, and arguably more impressive than Brady's work, considering the situations. He won't get the MVP credit for it, though.

I don't see how anybody could be comfortably ahead of the Red Rifle at the moment.

• Advertisement

D9Male wrote: »
    I don't see how anybody could be comfortably ahead of the Red Rifle at the moment.

Perhaps, but I just feel like that Pats offense is a lot more unstoppable, and I do think Brady is playing better. He's on his own level this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

It’s neck and neck between Brady and Rodgers for me and the bookies reflect that.

Dalton and Cam need to be respected for what they’ve done but Cam’s numbers, which are pretty pedestrian, and Dalton’s surrounding talent count against them. Dalton has one of the best surrounding casts I’ve ever seen. Exceptional pass protection, 2 good runners, an elite tight-end and an outstanding set of wideouts.

Outside the quarterbacks there are plenty of outstanding performers but no-one who will sniff MVP. The honey-badger, Hopkins and Bell all look especially good.

The Bengals have the best roster in football. Its frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

In the last 4 yours they’ve averaged 10 wins. That’ll likely be bettered this time around.

To maintain that consistency without anything resembling a hof quarterback is amazing. Their drafting and roster management is exceptional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

No matter how brilliant Brady is playing he'll not be winning the MVP. He's been passed up before and I expect it to happen again. In fact, Peyton would probably win it quicker this year than he would......:pac:

• Advertisement

The way this year is going, Peyton would fumble it. But his D would get it back for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If Brady can finish the season in the same form then he'll definitely get it. Dalton has improved but the Bengals roster is amazing. Brady is doing more with a lot less IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tom Brady ahead of Aaron Rodgers in second for me at the moment. It'll be neck and neck between them for the duration I'd imagine.

When all is said and done Andy Dalton has about as much chance as me of winning the award really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

No matter how well Dalton does he won't get it. Brady or Rodgers right now is much of a muchness. Their stats are similar and they've both done pretty much everything asked of them. Brady's probably got the better receiving corps right now but Rodgers has probably had better protection. Whoever's team ends up with the better record will probably decide the award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Probably will be Brady, but Cam has to be up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Brady is great and prob the favourite if not for what has gone before. Rodgers & the Red Rifle have been fantastic too. I know Dalton has probably the most balanced surrounding cast in football but he is making big plays in big moments.

Only way you will get it on D is breaking Strahans record and taking your team to the playoffs so can't see anyone there. (The Broncos D collectively for putting a team with one of the worst QB's in the league at 6-0 but no one player is standing out)

It'll come down to Rodgers/Brady and would be hard to argue against either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

matthew8 wrote: »
    No matter how well Dalton does he won't get it. Brady or Rodgers right now is much of a muchness. Their stats are similar and they've both done pretty much everything asked of them. Brady's probably got the better receiving corps right now but Rodgers has probably had better protection. Whoever's team ends up with the better record will probably decide the award.

He spends half the game running for his life!!

Brady is mvp for me so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

He spends half the game running for his life!!

Brady is mvp for me so far

He spends a lot of time running for his life because he holds onto the ball a long time. I'm sure he's doing that partly because guys are struggling to get open but the line protects well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seems to have all day to throw any time I've him this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

HigginsJ wrote: »
    (The Broncos D collectively for putting a team with one of the worst QB's in the league at 6-0 but no one player is standing out)

Von Miller has been a destructive tornado - he is so dangerous that teams are overcompensating against him leading to the rest of the Broncos D having a field day - and Miller is still getting to the QB.

• Advertisement

It seems that this will go to Tommy Touchdown or Superman, with Newton the favourite ahead of Brady with the bookies.

Palmer and Peterson the only other ones that have staked a realistic claim, but the two favourites have had better years, particularly given the lack of firepower around them.

How about the other awards?

Offensive Rookie will probably go to Winston or Amari Cooper, but Gurley and Mariota are a big game or two away from doing it.
    Defensive Rookie will probably go to Chiefs' corner Peters. The Packers' safety (name escapes me) has had a good year from what I have seen, too.
    Defensive Player of the Year would be Donald or a Panther (Norman or Kuechly I guess). I haven't seen much of the Rams, but Donald has been getting rave reviews and I guess he will be the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Newton or Palmer for me.

Hate to say it... But Russell Wilson is putting on a serious case for MVP in recent weeks.

He's, for once, not actually getting the attention he deserves.

Good shout. Considering the lack of protection his line gives him and the lack of quality receiving options he's putting in some serious numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Knex. wrote: »
    Hate to say it... But Russell Wilson is putting on a serious case for MVP in recent weeks.

He's, for once, not actually getting the attention he deserves.

Recent weeks where as Cam and Brady have been doing it for 13 weeks now. They are the only two that should be talked about tbh

I think it's clearly cam to be honest and if be shocked if he does not win it

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Cam by a country mile

Recent weeks where as Cam and Brady have been doing it for 13 weeks now. They are the only two that should be talked about tbh

Carson Palmer has done it every week too. His throwing numbers are better than both Brady and Cam this year and he has produced in every game.

I expect it to be Cam but Palmer deserves to be in the conversation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not Really

| Yards|TD|INT|YPA|Rating
    Cam |3062|28|10|7.71|96.9|
    Brady|4138|33|6|8.84|103.6|
    Palmer|4003|31|9|7.77|107.2|

Pretty close, but Brady has more TD's, less INT's and more yards.

Obviously with Cam you have to include rushing too (480Yards plus 7 TDs)

Also there is more to consider than cold stats, but for my money, given his receiving corp etc I'd go with Newton.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Carson Palmer has done it every week too. His throwing numbers are better than both Brady and Cam this year and he has produced in every game.

I expect it to be Cam but Palmer deserves to be in the conversation.

Palmers been outstanding but I think he has had far more weapons around him than the other two same reason I never thought dalton would win it

Advertisement