Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panniers on a Stevens Road Bike

Options
  • 21-10-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, few months back I purchased a San Remo Stevens Road bike. I now am looking at doing a long extended cycle for a few weeks/months and want to find out can you get panniers to fit a bike like this? If so any recommendations? I am aware this bike wasnt necessary built for panniers but it would save my investing in another new bike. Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How large or heavy?

Topeak do a range of seat post mounted ones which should do the job nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

You could fit a narrow rack like the one below, and use regular panniers (I can recommend the €15 ones from Aldi - great value)

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2213/tortec-pannier-rack

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ajck1984

i am not too sure of weight etc. Suppose depends on how much i want to pack for a few mths travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

a few mths travelling.

This is not a suitable bike for this kind of luggage I am afraid. You're risking damage and surely really bad handling under load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

You can get P clips and use your front brake mount to fit a rack that'll take two panniers and a handlebar bag to your fork, if it's not carbon. I'd imagine similar is available for the rear. Both of these will have an effect on the handling of the bike if it's not made for luggage.

Carradice do a range of saddlebags that'll work with their Bagman system. But again, not recommended with a carbon seat post.

If you're doing long distance/touring and the weather looks variable, you'll need mudguards to keep water off yourself and your bike parts.

But if none of those look like options, you may be best off with a new bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Also, do bear in mind the wheel set on your current frame may not be suited for carrying loads. And for comforts sake, if you're currently on 23's, it'd be worth looking at 28's or 32's.

Again, if they won't fit on your road bike, might be worth investing.

Also, with 23-25mm tyres you are risking a lot of pinch flats - going over a pothole you are unable to lift your luggage like yourself off the the saddle.

For long distance touring, the minimum I'd recommend is 32mm and this will rather not fit your Stevens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You might squeeze 28mm tyres on that bike. Looks like it has short reach brakes so your options are limited. Get the loan of a 28mm tyre and try it out on the rear before purchasing. The front won't really matter if you don't carry a load there, if you're travelling in Europe.

The best solution for panniers: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-adapter-set-for-qr-axle-mounting/

You need to couple that with a Tubus rack. With 2 holes at the bottom. It won't work with other racks.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-cosmo-rear-rack/

And one of these in the correct size.
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m-wave-seat-clamp-with-rack-mount-prod23745/

That's the sturdiest solution. But all in all, it's the wrong bike for the intended job.

You could buy a trailer, like the bob yak. If you kept it in good nick you could probably sell it after the trip and recoup some money.

Anyway if this is an extended holiday I would spend money getting the equipment right. The wrong solution is just going to ruin your holiday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

You'll have no heal clearance with panniers on a road bike ie. You'll be banging your shoe heels off the panniers constantly.
    You'll pop alot of rear spokes with a load on.

• Advertisement

Could a bike trailer be more suitable? And then maybe a cross bar bag also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ajck1984 wrote: »

How long is your trip and where?

I've credit card toured with a similar bike with a topeak bag mounted on seat post, grand for a week maybe, but you'd want to like hand washing☺.

Just get a more suitable bike, with mounts,longer chainstay, mudguards, stronger wheels etc.

Try UKEU websites for something second hand. Lots of touring bikes have very easy life's and you can pick up something nice for handy money

This is a good and light alternative, you can keep the heaviest stuff there and light things on the bike:

http://www.extrawheel.com/

Bike handles very naturally from what I've heard.

I am contemplating an east to west trip across the states or vice versa. Intend to bring along tent and sleeping bag. Thats the plan anyhow

ajck1984 wrote: »
    Because you are limited in the size of tyres you can use on your bike, I'd say the trailer is probably a better option than the tubus mount system. Do a search on youtube for Bob Yak, revolution cargo or Extrawheel and you'll have idea of what people use for trailers. There are handling and storage considerations with trailers, so it's worth researching the downsides too.

I have a bob yak I got cheap. You are welcome to take it for a spin around the Phoenix park if you're in Dublin. In saying all that, a suitable bike is the way to go.

Yo, Check this hip dood. y'all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I spent a month last summer touring+camping with my family on normal road bikes not unlike yours. Fitted standard panniers held in place with p-clips on two bikes, and the tubus adaptor on another. All worked fine. For the bikes with no holes drilled for the upper fixing of the back carrier, I fitted seatpost clamps with extra threaded bits - you'll find them online for a tenner or so. Ran 23s or 25s on factory stock wheels (some sort of bontrager thing on a Trek, and a set of Racing 7s from Fulcrum were two of the bikes. Ortlieb panniers and handlebar bags. Extra bag across the top of two of the bikes. Tents, sleeping bags, etc.

Over four bike-months, we had one broken spoke, which meant I spent five minutes tweaking the neighbouring spokes, and then an hour or two in a bike shop getting it fixed. We did a similar trip last year, with similar results (one pinch flat between us)

Handling is not improved by carrying panniers. But you won't be racing or doing anything too daft if you have a load of luggage on board, and you soon get used to the top-heaviness.

Before you race out to go shopping, I'd suggest you try the easier, cheaper option. You'd be surprised how well this works.

If you are really bothered, look at Rose's selection of touring wheels (up to 36 spokes, range of hubs and rims, decent prices).

Enjoy the trip - bike touring is great.

Advertisement