Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest Beag 2015

• 21-10-2015 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Going to this tomorrow, anyone else heading?

http://oktoberfestbeag.ie/

Anyone have any idea about the prices of food, drink etc at it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Looks interesting.
    As with most Irish events I'd estimate pricing to be somewhere between "no change outta that no?" and "if you have to ask, then you can't afford".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Beer is supposed to be €6, not sure the size. Food I'd imagine expensive also. Hoping to head myself also but with the Limerick match switched by RTE to Friday night I might not make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

€6 for a pint. €12 for a stein.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Vanquished wrote: »
    €6 for a pint. €12 for a stein.

Same as the one in Dublin so, also it was free in (the night I went anyway) but after 9.30/10 you had to buy a food voucher for 5 or 6 euro if you wanted anymore booze. They said it was something they had to do to comply with the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The tent at the Christmas Market in Eyre Square was free in. €10 deposit for the stein. €10 or 12 to fill it iirc.

• Advertisement

Ya they were giving free tickets when first announced. Then did a buy one get one free for €10. Also a free beer if you get in before 6pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Its all heineken products.
    Not sure id pay into it if free might chance one and see
    Also think you have to buy vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

bigpink wrote: »
    Its all heineken products.
    Not sure id pay into it if free might chance one and see
    Also think you have to buy vouchers

Paulaner munchner hell, paulaner, orchard thieves and cute hoor, that's it

Have wine.warm cider.mulled wine prosecco too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'm going Saturday night, hoping it will be a great event especially as it's in the castle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I went along with some friends. We were late enough so it seemed like we were crashing a wedding party that was drawing to a close. I'd say if you got there early and there was a good group of you it could be fun alright.

It's good to see the castle being used for events. It's the first time I've seen Nicholas Street buzzing.

Notice on there website a link to say become a volunteer hope not taking advantage of free labour

Yeah it is but a few people had events ideas not even listened too so the promoter has an inside track there😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

bigpink wrote:
    Yeah it is but a few people had events ideas not even listened too so the promoter has an inside track there😉

That's often the case in Limerick unfortunately.

Anyone go? Few friends thinking of us going in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Loved the one in Dublin down by the IFSC

Great to see Limerick finally getting one.

It was a great night! Food was lovely too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

What a ripoff! €6 for 500ml beer, €12 for 1l stein.
    Shlage music on an mp3 player for hours til the band came on. The MC was an English bloke who actually dropped the 'f' bomb continuously, abusing the crowd, eg: "what the f, last night's crowd were much f'n better, c'mon for f's sake"...

No table service ala Germany, kids running the bar who didn't know what a Pils was, or a stein for that matter.

Welcome to Limerick - pffft...

g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

godfrey wrote: »
    What a ripoff! €6 for 500ml beer, €12 for 1l stein.
    Shlage music on an mp3 player for hours til the band came on. The MC was an English bloke who actually dropped the 'f' bomb continuously, abusing the crowd, eg: "what the f, last night's crowd were much f'n better, c'mon for f's sake"...

No table service ala Germany, kids running the bar who didn't know what a Pils was, or a stein for that matter.

Welcome to Limerick - pffft...

g

Christ that is poor by the sounds of it.

Red King wrote: »
    Christ that is poor by the sounds of it.

Dont let one person cloud your opinion!

It was great craic, yes there was table service, although you did need to get your own food.

Once the oompa band started it was great atmosphere, sure we were half cut but everyone on my table had a great time

• Advertisement

Beer was €1 more expensive than most pubs which was to be expected. The location of the castle was excellent, especially when you went out into the courtyard. The atmosphere was decent but like all things you it depends on the crowd you were with. I was with lads and we were having great craic. Most the prices were available to view online also so if price of beer was a problem then it could have been avoided by not going at all.

What was the beer?

I was going to go but something came up in the end and I had to give it a miss.

Was raging though as I have been to the official Oktoberfest in Munich and it was brilliant. Even there it is expensive. 10 euro for a litre but in saying that it was the Augustiner Oktoberfest brew which is strong.

Food was excellent. Half a roast chicken for a couple of euro and it was divine. Sliced salted cheese and giant pretzels for a few bob also.

The DJ thing above sounds out of place and the bar staff not knowing what a stein or a pils are is bad if true. Those things are simple and should not be issues at an Oktoberfest event.

Hope they keep it going though, venue is excellent and if they take on board the feedback then there is no reason why this cannot be an annual event in Limerick.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Slightly off topic, but Nancy's have their annual beer festival this weekend. Looks like I'll be missing it for the first time in 3 years, but some of ye might like to compare/contrast it with Oktoberfest Beag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

Red King wrote: »
    Even there it is expensive. 10 euro for a litre

That's €2 cheaper than Limerick event, in a major European city, at the real event!

There was also an €8 entrance fee. I don't know whether that applies to Munich or not.

godfrey wrote: »
    That's €2 cheaper than Limerick event, in a major European city, at the real event!

There was also an €8 entrance fee. I don't know whether that applies to Munich or not.

Indeed. There is an entrance fee in Munich too but cannot honestly remember what it was.

Advertisement