Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Broker or No ??

• 21-10-2015 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

About to start down the course of selling our first home to move and gain some space.

First time we went with a mortgage broker and can't say it was a bad experience but that was many years ago.

What I am wondering is whether based on peoples experiences would they recommend going to a mortgage broker or go down the root of contacting the various mortgage sellers themselves?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Depends on how strong the lending proposition is I reckon.

If you've decent income(s), savings, and equity, together with a clean record for repaying things and the mortgage to value ratio is say 75% or less it's a D.I.Y. thing if you can put up with the hastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

We have a decent lump saved hope to make some profit off the house and we are both in work and have managed not to miss any payments even in the tougher times.

I would say we are in decent shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

to be honest i found that a broker done the same thing if you dealt with the bank yourself - places like ulster bank send out their own mortgage person to discuss - aib have a mortgage online portal to manage everything through! Just seems as easy to do it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

Thanks for the opinions guys just wanted to get it clear in my head f I was missing something looks like I will try the DIY route and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

is it normal for broker to charge fee (1% of the amount borrowed) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

There are plenty of good brokers out there that do not charge fees however they are entitled to charge fees so shop around.

bbari wrote: »
    is it normal for broker to charge fee (1% of the amount borrowed) ?

Advertisement