Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The extras that are worth getting with a new car

Options
  • 21-10-2015 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

I am just wondering which are the most useful accessories that are available nowadays with new cars...

For example, obstacle sensors which warn you with a beep.

I am not talking about gimmicks, such as electronically adjustable seats with memory of each user's settings, just to clarify...

Just throw in your favourites please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Everyone is different i suppose. I usually disregard a car without xenon (or LED) headlights.

Nice to haves are heated seats and some form of upgraded headunit. Heated windscreens are handy and now that Ford's patent is up becoming more commonplace on other makes so I opted for one lately - handy if you're in early/late to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Leather or some sort of upgraded seat upholstery. I never understand why people spend north of 30k on a car and get the standard cloth seats. Cheapens the car in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Electrically adjustable seats are great, only peasants do it the old fashioned way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

A/C is now basically standard. I absolutely hate getting in the lowest spec car, when a 2nd hand with extras generally costs very little more. ie: you wont see the cost of extras reflected in resale value, but will be nice to have while you do own the car.

Xenons are a must, as are front fogs(I don't drive with them on)

Auto-wipers are also great.

Rear parking sensors are an absolute must, since they could very easily save you thousands over the lifetime of a car. Depending on price, a 360° camera system would be great.

Auto-dimming mirror is fantastic, will never buy a car without one. If I shared my car, electric memory seat/mirrors would be a must too. Heated seats are great, would love a heated windscreen, but they're annoying with reflections at night)

Leather, again a must have. So much cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Simple but useful - cruise control/speed limit and even Bluetooth - doesn't go across all ranges, climate control, I have a Ford the fast clear windscreen is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

A/C, becoming more and more standard but really should be standard not so much for cooling but more for demisting.

Cruise control is a nice addition also.

Leather I don't think its as good as people say, too cold when it cold, stick when its warm, I know can be remedied with heated seats and somewhat with a/c but tbh next car don't think I'd be too pushed on it unless I could get ventilated seats, very much like sound of them.

Bluetooth should be standard enough now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Simple, alloy wheels. Anyone who buys a new car in this day and age with steelies should be thrown into the sea. And I see plenty of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Auto wipers, auto lights, parking sensors, keyless entry, leather heated seats, climate control, auto dimming mirrors, guide me home lights, electrically adjustable seats especially if you share with someone who adjusts the height.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,188 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Automatic gear box is a must in certain types of car especially in the premium market. A 5series or Audi A6 it should be standard, ruins the car with a stick. Think Audi drivers are more guilty of going for the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Simple, alloy wheels. Anyone who buys a new car in this day and age with steelies should be thrown into the sea. And I see plenty of them too.

Yeah, the only way to deal with someone whose taste differs from yours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

after my last car 318D with M sport badging

- Leather seats are a must, have paid for themselves with the less effort needed to clean them
    - Climate control (currently air con only) i prefer a set temp rather than switching it on full blast to cool down
    - bluetooth is a must, had to get a parrot installed in the current car
    -Keyless operation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Brian Scan wrote: »

I'd prefer a big fire myself, in case they are good swimmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Llighten up son.

And their taste doesn't "differ", it doesn't exist :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,510 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

These would be in my mind on any new car I would buy, the more the better...
    • Auto dimming rear view mirror
    • Auto folding door mirrors
    • Auto lights
    • Auto wipers
    • Cruise control
    • Dual climate
    • Heated leather seats
    • Remote boot release
    • Steering wheel audio controls
    • Xenon headlights

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've had more than my fair share of new cars and Id say minimise any extras as they don't add any value when it comes to moving it on.

Look instead at a better model that'll have the extras included as standard spec.

A/c, abs, alloys, t/c, bluetooth, alarm, mp3/usb etc. are all things that can be reasonably expected to be included in any decent car these days.

Last 4 or 5 new cars I've had didn't have metallic paint - made no difference whatsoever come resale.

Leather or alcantara seats are nice, but not worth spending thousands more on. Same goes for climate control - manual a/c is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I prefer my punishments medieval style, they should be fired from a catapult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭kooga

rear privacy glass
    sunroof
    leather or alcantara seating
    radio upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I love my armrest and cruise control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

My must needed items are Xenons and all around LED lights, full leather which is heated too plus a good bluetooth handsfree and preferably a sunroof.

Things i don't need are Auto lights and wipers or A/C..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Once there is electric windows and central locking i'm pretty happy.

I think the best advice was to buy a non entry level car, but a higher trim level. It works out much better value for money than adding single items.

Auto lights and wipers are nice imo. They are in the Astra and they are really nice. That said, I never exactly strain in the Celica to move my arm 50mm and flip the switch.

Alloys make the car look a lot more presentable, as do front fogs, but in terms of usefullness, they don't really do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Caliden wrote: »
    Leather or some sort of upgraded seat upholstery. I never understand why people spend north of 30k on a car and get the standard cloth seats. Cheapens the car in my opinion.

my biggest pet peeve of them all. I said this exact thing to a Skoda sales rep - why spend so much on a car and this bench cloth seats. trying to find a used A4 or Passat with leather seats is like hens teeth wtf were people thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

New cars without alloys are like new girlfriends without dress sense. Sure they operate the same way and offer the same functionality, but there is always something a bit 'off' looking about them that niggles away at you and eventually leads you to look for a new one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Can someone explain the grá for xenon headlights? The bulbs I buy for as little as possible are grand and blind no one.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Brian? wrote: »
    Can someone explain the grá for xenon headlights? The bulbs I buy for as little as possible are grand and blind no one.

Xenons don't blind either unless they're bad aftermarket jobs or have a faulty levelling sensor.

The spread of light is better, the quality of the light is better and although the bulbs are expensive they last a lot longer. On some cars ive spent more frequently replacing nightbreakers than xenons. It might not matter much if you're around town but back roads and main road driving are made a lot more pleasant .

Plus most these days most have adaptive xenons meaning they adjust their beam and direction based on speed and steering inputs.

Try them for a while and its noticeable going back to halogens.

CUP HOLDERS

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Brian? wrote: »

Had car with xenon and done 100,000 miles over 4 1/2 years and they only failed few weeks ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

CUP HOLDERS
    Oh yes - not little holes down near the gear stick - proper window level ones. If there's one thing I miss from my old Micra it's the proper cup/bottle holder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

For me now it has to be:
    Leather seats (heated if I can for my back!)
    Parking front and rear
    Zenon and I have the intelligent lights now so thats even tastier!
    Auto lights
    DLRs
    Bluetooth audio
    Steering wheel controls
    And a hitch!!! (For my bike holder!)

Advertisement