Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole trader & car finance

Options
  • 21-10-2015 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, hubby is a sole trader builder he drives a van to work everyday. We thinking of changing our family car ( due to expansion ) some kind of jeep thing & wondering if this can be a business expense? The car is used 50 % of the time for his business use, & he's put up serious mileage in our old car because of his business. I know if he changed to a business he could get a company car but that's a whole other ball game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You can claim something like €23.5k on a car as a sole trader.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭adrianw

Sole traders who use their own private car can claim actual expenses incurred.

Yes, you can claim the €23.5k in buying the car plus 50% of all car expenses. When he's doing his books, split car expenses from travel expenses like cabs etc and at the end of the year just deduct the 50% from the car total. If he's VAT registered you can only claim VAT on diesel but not petrol.

Gloomtastic, I don't think that is correct. There has to be a justification for the expenses claimed. Maybe 50% is too high or even too low.
    Also with the €23.5k are you referring to Capital Allowances? That only applies on the basis the vehicle meets CO2 emission requirements?

adrianw wrote: »
    Gloomtastic, I don't think that is correct. There has to be a justification for the expenses claimed. Maybe 50% is too high or even too low.
    Also with the €23.5k are you referring to Capital Allowances? That only applies on the basis the vehicle meets CO2 emission requirements?

If he uses the car 50% of the time for business then claim 50% of the expenses.

I did check with my accountant, when I had one, that if the vehicle was branded with company logo/details then it is working for you 100% of the time so 100% of the car expenses are claimable. He agreed. However, even though my car is branded I'm still only claiming 85% as business usuage, as I have done before it was branded and that too was ok with my accountant.

Never heard of CO2 conditions when buying a car before. I don't spend anything near that amount when I buy a car so maybe that's why I've never had a problem.

• Advertisement

The livery thing is interesting. I've never come across that. It sounds like a good argument to me.

Advertisement