Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle against suicide 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brianefox

Hi Thinking of doing the cycle against suicide next year , anybody wish to share their experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Was thinking of doing a leg or two myself. Wasn't on it this year, but know a lad that was. It isn't tough by any stretch. Speed is slow (around 20km/h), with lots of stops on each leg to bring their message to schools, etc. So very relaxed by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Did one leg of it last year,, Birr to Limerick, very relaxed pace, probably too slow for anyone that does 70km+ regularly.

It was my first group spin, and I enjoyed it immensely. It's a great message they are spreading.

Would love to do the whole route, but don't have enough holidays unfortunately. Might try do 2 days this year,

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

Hi Folks

well worth doing and different from other group spins. its very well marshalled and the local support in the host towns along the routes is amazing, everyone comes out to support and clap as ya pass. weve all been touched by suicide in ireland and the awareness that this event creates is invaluable. l did three stages last year and really enjoyed it. its a very friendly event and made loads of friends. as mentioned the pace is a steady 20-25km depending on the wind. expect to eat your weight in cakes and goodies...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Had planned on doing a few days but the lack of Cork-Kerry stages has put the Kaibosh on that. Waterford and Tipperary are included but the logistics of Time off Work and family commitments means i'll leave it until another year.

• Advertisement

Had a decent look at the Route last night, thinking of doing Sligo to Roscrea (3 days) over the bank holiday weekend, just need to get the gf to agree to drop me to Sligo on the friday night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brianefox

Tks foe all replies. I might do Roscrea to waterford or maybe wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Did a leg this year and it was very enjoyable, the marshals were sound and they often pulled up for a chat, food stops were excellent and the message being delivered is an important one.
    If anyone reading this has the time then maybe get a friend to join you and help spread the word, it was one of the best days I spent on a bike this year for many reasons, it's well organised and great craic so don't hesitate if your considering it !

Signed up to the Ballinasloe to Roscrea leg on the Bank Holiday monday(2nd May)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

was chatting to one of the marhsalls , the distances are shorter this year , from a rough average of 100km per day to 80

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

so as to make it easier for the average joe??

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

so as to make it easier for the average joe??

Think so , the weather was pretty bad at times last year and some were struggling

bump!

so who's doing it this year??? might do the bank holiday monday leg myself

i'm doing the whole thing

peteeeed wrote: »

Jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Half tempted to try the Carrick leg on Sunday the 1st (coincides with my only day off). What time do they set out in the morning, conscious of the fact that I'll be setting off from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

I cycled the first leg yesterday. While i thought it was overall quite good and well organised i found the pace to be painfully slow. It was also very tightly packed which makes it difficult to cycle if we are moving so slowly. I suppose its probably geared towards people who are cycling a few legs or the full 14 days.

^^^^^^^^^^

well alot of people struggled last year, so i suppose they've made a concious effort to make it as easy as possible...bit of a pain for experienced riders, but then again its not a race

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

peteeeed wrote: »

any chance you could give us updates peteeeed ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Too much money involved now ......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

What charity does the money from this cycle go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Solobally8 wrote: »
    What charity does the money from this cycle go to?

Cycle Against Suicide is a registered charity itself and publish their accounts online

The most recent accounts (2014) are here http://www.cycleagainstsuicide.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/annaul_review_2014.pdf

greenspurs wrote: »
    Too much money involved now ......

sure its going to a good charity

very little coverage in the media this year

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

2 people to run a cycle once a year? And be paid 50k each for that?

Sorry, but we are talking about raising 500k+ in donations. Raise awareness seems a lot like the LAF foundation. Not actually doing anything but putting up a few posters.

Instead of giving money to a PR firm why not give it directly to the charities that actually help, either those suffering from mental health issues or possible to those charities that provide solace and support for those left behind.

So it seems that many people are involved, many people give up their time and money but what actual effect does it have? I'm being cynical of course, but we have seen many examples of charities that seem to be more about the charity than the actual cause itself. They have fulfilled the statutory obligations but the accounts tell you nothing.

What work are they doing, what are they achieving, what do they need the money for and where is the money being spent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Leroy42 wrote: »
    2 people to run a cycle once a year? And be paid 50k each for that?

Sorry, but we are talking about raising 500k+ in donations. Raise awareness seems a lot like the LAF foundation. Not actually doing anything but putting up a few posters.

Instead of giving money to a PR firm why not give it directly to the charities that actually help, either those suffering from mental health issues or possible to those charities that provide solace and support for those left behind.

So it seems that many people are involved, many people give up their time and money but what actual effect does it have? I'm being cynical of course, but we have seen many examples of charities that seem to be more about the charity than the actual cause itself. They have fulfilled the statutory obligations but the accounts tell you nothing.

What work are they doing, what are they achieving, what do they need the money for and where is the money being spent?

The founder, Jim Breen, does a lot of work himself in attracting media attention, sponsorship partners and logistical stuff. He takes no money from the organisation and donates a fair bit of his own money into it.

There are a few staff who do things like sourcing the gear, planning traffic management with local councils/gardai, source homestays for riders along the way, plan events in schools and community centres, meet insurance/public safety obligations and so on.

The charity is active all year doing events in schools, universities and communities across the island giving talks and work shops to young people on mental health issues and how to cope with them, ask for help, help someone out and sign posting services which can help.

It's easy to be cynical but they are extremely active year round and the administration costs are more than justified.

I accept all that, as I said I am being cynical, probably overly so.

But in the current era charities should be aiming to be as transparent as possible.

I am not trying to suggest that anything is wrong, and I fully applaud the work that is being done and all those, both staff and volunteers, that are involved are doing invaluable work.

I suppose my point was really that merely publishing the statutory accounts always leaves more questions than answers due to the nature of the report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

But in the current era charities should be aiming to be as transparent as possible.

I am not trying to suggest that anything is wrong, and I fully applaud the work that is being done and all those, both staff and volunteers, that are involved are doing invaluable work.

I suppose my point was really that merely publishing the statutory accounts always leaves more questions than answers due to the nature of the report.

Well maybe make a request for whatever information it is you would like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Why not join in a leg or two of the cycle and experience it first hand?

I've completed various distances with the cycle since it's first year and I'd support it if for no other reason than the interaction it bring amongst the school kids in the schools they visit along the way.

Perhaps it may not be having the desired effect on a grander scale but tackling mental health starts with small steps.

We all know the issue we are having with mental health and some are trying to make a difference while some will always remain cynical.

• Advertisement

My issue is not with the cycle, the charity or the cause, it is the transparency around where the money goes.

The accounts state that some 579k of money was raised, with only 28k available for surplus.

€294k was cost of sales, which my understanding means the costs required to raise the funds, so I am assuming PR, t-shirts, road closures, insurance etc etc.

Staff costs of 118k (it states an average of 2 people) and a further 138k on operating expenses (rent, rates, accountancy, light & Heat, travel expenses etc etc).

So of the 579k raised we are left with 28k.

Now even taking the cost of sales as being the actual work of the charity (as has been said raising awareness) it still means that only 50% is being used for that purpose.

Is that the best use of the resources? I have no idea, I am merely raising the question. If it saves someone's life than I would yes, it is worth it. If it saves one family from the heartbreak, guilt and trauma of suicide then I would agree that it is worth it.

Advertisement