Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle against suicide 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

2014 accounts- 2 employees in total- wages and expenses 118k, thats an average of 59k each

what exactly are these two people doing for 59k a year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Andalucia wrote: »
    2014 accounts- 2 employees in total- wages and expenses 118k, thats an average of 59k each

Does the figure include emoloyers PRSI and pension contributions etc ?

The accounts are for 18 months and have an average of two staff, they may have had extra staff during the events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Andalucia wrote: »

59k a year is more than the top salary scale for teaching, which is only reached after about 25 years of service, or thereabouts.

JK.BMC wrote: »
    59k a year is more than the top salary scale for teaching, which is only reached after about 25 years of service, or thereabouts.

See my edit it's for 18 months . And there may have been more staff for periods.
    the fact.

59 - employers PRSI =53k, /18*12. Gives 35k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

velo.2010 wrote: »
    On the website it says that the 2015 accounts would be published before the 30/6/2016. Still no sign.

It says 11/7/2016 for the 2015 Annual Review.
    http://www.cycleagainstsuicide.com/governance/

When did you look the website up (when it said 30/6/2016)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Great bit of amateur sleuthing. Why aren't these people on the boards.ie cycling page answering you i wonder. Too busy is a fine excuse.
    In the meantime keep asking insinuating questions, seems to be working a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

will be interesting to see what the 2015 accounts look like for staff costs - due to be listed 11th July, should be a calendar year

its a bit dubious - it states the average number of employees employed during the period is 2, doesn't go into any further detail, so it could be just one person getting the chunk of this

ted1 wrote: »
    See my edit it's for 18 months . And there may have been more staff for periods.
    the fact.

59 - employers PRSI =53k, /18*12. Gives 35k a year.

That's mad Ted.
    Are you on the payroll yourself?

That's mad Ted.
    Are you on the payroll yourself?

No , I just don't like to see people spreading absolute rubbish about a organisation that is doing good work.

No , I just don't like to see people spreading absolute rubbish about a organisation that is doing good work.

Ah here, I think that is unfair. Nobody is knocking the fact that mental health is being addressed by this work- but lots of people I know, like myself, do wonder about how such money is then spent.
    Not sure that I have spread 'absolute rubbish' but when I am asked and encouraged to support any enterprise, with my money and time, I do like to know who gets the money in the end. Family, friends, cycling buddies have been involved over the years so I have a fair idea what actually happens. I would describe myself as curious rather than cynical by the way.

• Advertisement

Ah here, I think that is unfair. Nobody is knocking the fact that mental health is being addressed by this work- but lots of people I know, like myself, do wonder about how such money is then spent.
    Not sure that I have spread 'absolute rubbish' but when I am asked and encouraged to support any enterprise, with my money and time, I do like to know who gets the money in the end. Family, friends, cycling buddies have been involved over the years so I have a fair idea what actually happens. I would describe myself as curious rather than cynical by the way.

You stated that the average wage was 59,000 when in fact it's 35,000.
    You then ranted about it being more than top level teachers after 25 years of service

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

To be fair, you accused him of being connected to the organisation. His reply was hardly 'unfair'.

You stated that the average wage was 59,000 when in fact it's 35,000.
    You then ranted about it being more than top level teachers after 25 years of service

I didnt and I ain't ranting.
    And I'm not getting answers either.
    I will read the accounts next week so.

I ain't ranting.
    And I'm not getting answers either.
    I will read the accounts next week so.

Why bother ? you couldn't read the 2014 ones, you missed employers PRSI and the fact that they were for 18 months.

cjonesy1 wrote: »
    To be fair, you accused him of being connected to the organisation. His reply was hardly 'unfair'.

Im not accusing him of anything bad at all, am I?
    I don't think so. It is a bit unfair to suggest that asking a question in a public forum equates to 'spreading rubbish.' An answer here is unlikely so best to leave it till the organisation itself speaks.

Why bother ? you couldn't read the 2014 ones, you missed employers PRSI and the fact that they were for 18 months.

OK Ted.
    As Bill would say 'Okey Doke: We will leave it there so....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

In the off chance the charity employees/directors don't use boards, why not ask them straight up?

http://www.cycleagainstsuicide.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Feedback-and-complaints.pdf

info@cycleagainstsuicide.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

ford2600 wrote: »
    In the off chance the charity employees/directors don't use boards, why not ask them straight up?

http://www.cycleagainstsuicide.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Feedback-and-complaints.pdf

info@cycleagainstsuicide.com

I have emailed them ....
    I'm still waiting for a reply...

Why are people getting hurt about us asking where the money we pay/paid to raise awareness is going? The company/organisation should at least inform people where all the money goes.
    Especially now, with all the scamming/robbing going on with other 'charities' !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

greenspurs wrote: »
    I have emailed them ....
    I'm still waiting for a reply...

Why are people getting hurt about us asking where the money we pay/paid to raise awareness is going? The company/organisation should at least inform people where all the money goes.
    Especially now, with all the scamming/robbing going on with other 'charities' !

well i started this thread about this years cycle and i had one of the best 2 weeks of my life . so i have nothing but positive things to say about the cycle but i had no interest in anything financial , i just saw the effect of what went on in the schools and out on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

https://youtu.be/Kb-dhzSPFiU

They only have one of the above.

The people involved may be the best of people, but like most, hate book keeping.

Call them if you want to know sooner.

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    well i started this thread about this years cycle and i had one of the best 2 weeks of my life . so i have nothing but positive things to say about the cycle but i had no interest in anything financial , i just saw the effect of what went on in the schools and out on the road

I totally agree, I have done it since it started and it is an amazing experience , until this year when their over exhorbitant pricing made me think twice. And I didn't do it ...

I have been involved in organising some of their spin off events locally also, but until I see the accounts next week, I will decide then..... But we are suspicious because of mismanagement in other charities, the best way for charities to regain the trust of those that contribute is transparency !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I don't understand why posters are getting upset with people asking where the money is going. The more news that keeps coming out about Console I kind wonder how many people were actually helped by them as it just seems to have been a massive gravy train for the Kelly family to fund their lifestyles. In light of all the revelations around Console last week I got a txt from a friend asking for donation for another suicide charity that I had never heard of. My first reaction was WtF.
    It seems people like to take part in events cause they are good fun, its makes them feel good about giving something back but it doesn't matter where the money is going.

groovyg wrote: »
    I don't understand why posters are getting upset with people asking where the money is going. The more news that keeps coming out about Console I kind wonder how many people were actually helped by them as it just seems to have been a massive gravy train for the Kelly family to fund their lifestyles. In light of all the revelations around Console last week I got a txt from a friend asking for donation for another suicide charity that I had never heard of. My first reaction was WtF.
    It seems people like to take part in events cause they are good fun, its makes them feel good about giving something back but it doesn't matter where the money is going.

Why do you think asking pointed questions on a cycling forum would result in answers? This thread was set up to celebrate the good work they do and the enjoyment to be got from being involved.
    They're effectively being forced to prove themselves innocent of all kinds of things by people who haven't bothered to do the most basic of research. Suddenly they "have questions to answer". It's a cheap way to cast aspersions on anyone, let alone a charity.

Why do you think asking pointed questions on a cycling forum would result in answers? This thread was set up to celebrate the good work they do and the enjoyment to be got from being involved.
    They're effectively being forced to prove themselves innocent of all kinds of things by people who haven't bothered to do the most basic of research. Suddenly they "have questions to answer". It's a cheap way to cast aspersions on anyone, let alone a charity.

How can you do research , when the latest accounts are from 2014???
    A lot of money raised since then !!!

How can you do research , when the latest accounts are from 2014???
    A lot of money raised since then !!!

Good on them isn't it.
    They've obviously been working hard to raise that money.

Good on them isn't it.
    They've obviously been working hard to raise that money.

Not the answer you expected ?

.....and we'd like to know how much, and where it went....

or do you prefer the "Ignorance is Bliss" method........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Don't ask questions, they do great work, they raise awareness etc etc thats all you need to know .....

This thread reminds of this one in the athletics forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057569238

God you foxed me on that one allright.

groovyg wrote: »
    Don't ask questions, they do great work, they raise awareness etc etc thats all you need to know .....

This thread reminds of this one in the athletics forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057569238

Bressie... Bit of a cute Hoor huh ?
    ... and he was 'involved' in CaS at the start of it too.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I think it is only a minority who do these type of events purely because of the charity element, be it a personal challenge or wherever else draws people in. Or perhaps I'm just speaking for myself there but either way once ive made a decision to part with money in the name of charity I don't worry about it because its a bit like paying taxes. Where the money goes is no longer in my control.

Advertisement