Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycle against suicide 2016

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I think it is only a minority who do these type of events purely because of the charity element, be it a personal challenge or wherever else draws people in. Or perhaps I'm just speaking for myself there but either way once ive made a decision to part with money in the name of charity I don't worry about it because its a bit like paying taxes. Where the money goes is no longer in my control.

even if its going to line some chancers pockets under false pretences ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Can we not question without being PC or cynical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Given the scandals and the ambiguity surrounding what exactly the purpose of the charity is, other than "raising awareness", I cant help but be suspicious of their motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think it is only a minority who do these type of events purely because of the charity element, be it a personal challenge or wherever else draws people in. Or perhaps I'm just speaking for myself there but either way once ive made a decision to part with money in the name of charity I don't worry about it because its a bit like paying taxes. Where the money goes is no longer in my control.

No doubt there are many that do these events for the challenge and the charity side of it is never given a thought.

But, clearly there is a reason why the charity angle is attached and that is to give the event additional substance. People can feel better that they are doing something, even though in reality they are actually more interested in the challenge than the charity.

It is hard to say no to someone raising money for charity, but if someone came up to you looking for sponsorship for the entry fee to an event so that Paul Kelly can go on holiday or pay for his shopping I don't think many would oblige.

That is the difference

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you have questions about their finances ask them directly.

This forum is for discussing cycling, and not speculating over the underlying charity when, AFAIK, there have been absolutely no suggestions of impropriety.

Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Beasty wrote: »
    If you have questions about their finances ask them directly.

This forum is for discussing cycling, and not speculating over the underlying charity when, AFAIK, there have been absolutely no suggestions of impropriety.

Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread.

Thanks

amen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Advertisement