Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Options
  • 21-10-2015 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

So is anyone going to pick this up? Or has the AC fatigue hit you hard?

The very first one was a so/so game, and 2 was an amazing improvement. I was very disappointed with 3 but 4 was a pleasant surprise.

Unity was a box of bugs.....going by form syndicate should be good.

I'll be waiting for reviews though. Even then, the previews/trailers look uninspired and very very tired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Will probably pick this up, but yeah the yearly schedule is starting to grate a bit. They should take a couple of years off and think things through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Cool name OP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nah. Too fatigued by AC and the standard Ubisoft model of game. Plus too many of the last few games have had serious issues at launch.

Unless this gets absolutely amazing reviews, I'll likely just wikipedia or youtube the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I will pick up last years one this year and get this years next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm completely jaded with them. I usually end up buying them when they go down to about a tenner but I haven't finished the last two, I just lost interest. They were both good games, all unities problems were gone by the time I got around to buying it and 90% of me says it's a very good game. I just can't be arsed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Loved Unity and Black flag, Will get this eventually, Probably not next week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Skipped the last 1 or 2 AC games, due to getting bored of the series, looking forward to this for some reason! Only bad thing is its not out till November for the PC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Loved Black Flag, in fact I'd say it's the best of the bunch and probably one of the better games from recent memory.
    Wasn't too impressed by Unity, honestly I found it to be a bit boring and lacking on the whole assassination thing. Also considering how bad the state of the game was on release it really put me off too.

I'll wait until it's been out a while, check out the reviews and probably wait until it's a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Only finished Rogue on PC there recently, having not played an AC game in about 18 months. I still have Unity to get through, but it's not going to happen on my PC, so i've to get it on PS4 at some stage, and that's not going to happen any time soon, with BlOps 3, Fallout 4, Tomb Raider and a helluva lot of other games to go first!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Loved Black Flag, but didn't touch Unity after all the issues. Are they still doing the random and seemingly pointless modern day story, or have they scrapped that yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Remember AC 2? That was class wasn't it? Ah the good ol' days.

Anyway, this is getting great reviews across the board with most reviewers saying it's the best time to get back to the series. I haven't touched Unity, even though it's supposed to be fully fixed and actually a good game but just couldn't be bothered. Same with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Hmmmm...

Reviews seem to be hovering around the 80-90 mark. One reviewer said it was better than Black Flag. I'd be skeptical. Think I'll wait until after Christmas for this one.

Should be about half way through The Witcher 3 by then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I watched the Gamespot review. They gave it a 9/10 and loved it but NOT ONE second of the footage looked interesting to me in the slightest. Very average looking assassins game. Some of the animations looked last gen, no beautiful scenery, same mechanics of fistfighting, smoke bomb, poison dart. Run down a hallway at a guard full pelt. He is staring at you with a puzzled look waiting for his detection meter to reach full even though you are right in front of him, just awful looking mechanics.

Might be just me being cynical but this does not look like a 9/10 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I loved 2, and have swore to myself that I'll play each game through to completion. I have only started Brotherhood though, so I've a long way to go!

Game spot review text said this "The modern day elements are more toned down than they were in previous Assassin games, so much so that they're barely present"

How was that even possible after Unity? SO they have pretty much given up all pretence of an over all story now?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Isn't it pretty rare for AAA titles to get bad reviews these days regardless of what the game is like? I reckon I'll wait to see what folks here think of it after they play it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Isn't it pretty rare for AAA titles to get bad reviews these days regardless of what the game is like? I reckon I'll wait to see what folks here think of it after they play it first.
    Depends what you consider a bad review I guess? Off the top of my head we've had the likes of AC: Unity, Thief, Mad Max, The Order: 1886, Sim City, The Crew, Knack, Colonial Marines and Tony Hawk 5 in the last while. They started around the 7/10 mark on average and go all the way down into the deep red score wise.

It also depends on what you look for in a review. In the case of Syndicate, one of the opening paragraphs from the Eurogamer review told me more about the game than any arbitrary numerical score could.
    First things first, here are all the things Assassin's Creed doesn't have this year. There's no bolted on multiplayer mode or any co-op options. It doesn't have any connections to a broken web service. It doesn't require you to play a companion app to acquire everything in the game. It's like a human being actually sat down to design a game with the simple requirement that it felt fun, rather than it being a £50 experience designed by a committee to link up a web of interconnected transmedia nodes. It's a huge relief.

All that being said, if you're looking to get it on the PC I still think it's safe to wait to see how platform specific reviews and customers rate it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Well that goes to show how much I've come to expect from AAA games these days. I had no idea there was no multiplayer on this.

I'd almost speak with my wallet and buy this day one to voice my disapproval of online shtuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The AC series has become so over saturated, that's it only now (when I clicked on a review) that I realised that this is a major release. Thought this was another add on, or mobile game or some other fork of the brand. Anyways, Ubisoft killed the golden goose for me ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm glad it's getting better reviews that Unity, but I've had Rogue sitting there the last few weeks so I'll finish that before getting the PC version, and Rogue is waiting for me to finish MGSV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mickeroo wrote: »

I suppose from a reviewers point of view, they have to treat each game as its own thing, and how it stands up for a new player who would be picking it up for the first time. You'd judge all its parts on their own merits, and then give your opinion on how well it serves franchise entries that have gone before it - i.e. a return to form from a previous entry, or more of the same old same old.

Far Cry 4 would be like this for me, I'd recommend it to anyone, even though I nearly had to force myself to finish it as it was so much of a rehash of 3.

Argos cheapest B+M as usual 65.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Have the Gold edition pre-ordered on Steam , only 4 weeks to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TweekeewT

Perhaps foolishly, I preordered the Big Ben edition directly from Ubisoft back in May.

I may be wrong, but I don't think even the most charitable could define 5 days after release as being "on time".

Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Argos cheapest B+M as usual 65.99.

http://www.hmv.ie/Assassin-s-Creed-Syndicate-/movies-games-entertainment/pd/116389

This might be a better option for 69.99. You get some extra missions I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Far Cry 4 would be like this for me, I'd recommend it to anyone, even though I nearly had to force myself to finish it as it was so much of a rehash of 3.

In that case you'd be better reccomending Far Cry 3. Would save em' some money :pac:

Played the 1st two missions earlier, more of an introduction to controls as usual but certainly feels better and looks better than unity. Combat feels much smoother , though that said it's been a year since I played unity :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Batclawing your way up the side of big ben and then zip-lining your way across the Houses of Parliament, Epic moment

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Looks really good but the Assassin's Creed games drop so quickly in price that it's probably worth waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

None of them have ever been great, which is a terrible pity. Such a brilliant concept, diluted by wishy washy development.

Open world and free running aside, the often clumsy and uninspiring combat system coupled with the fact the assassinations themselves are completely boring and repetitive makes the series a complete bunch of meh.

It needs more Hitman and less GTA IMO. Black flag was fun but only because you got to be a pirate. That's pretty ironic because the assassinating was the worst part.

Advertisement