Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Can't remember where I read it but didn't Ubisoft kinda get screwed over on the modern day parts of the game due to some voice actor giving away major plot points regarding the ending of AC 3 and causing them to have to redo large parts of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I don't have series fatigue because I skipped Rogue as it didn't look interesting and I watched a friend play Unity then watched a walkthrough of the story on Youtube.

This looks fun might pick it up in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Black Flag was great. I'm still waiting for them to make "Pirates Creed" or something. I'll probably give this a miss. Fallout 4 is 2 weeks away and I have a game backlog that is so big I think I need a plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I suppose from a reviewers point of view, they have to treat each game as its own thing, and how it stands up for a new player who would be picking it up for the first time.
    Exactly, they have to be fair to the developers. If I had never played an Assassin's creed game I'd probably be blown away by Unity. It ticked all the boxes, by the time I played it, it looked good and played good. But once you put it into the context of it being one in a flood of AC games, it's just not worth the effort for anyone that's played more than 3 or 4 of the other games.

They are killing the series with all these games. They should really give it a rest for a few years. There's no way I'll be buying the new one with two unfinished games in my backlog. I really don't see myself finishing the other two either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I bought this, because I loved Assassin's Creed back in the day and was very interested in the Victorian era setting.

However, especially since I've dived into this after finishing MGSV, it's distinctly average. The setting is remarkable, and as a piece of historical tourism it's a lot of fun to explore the world. But once that novelty wears off you're left with dull, repetitive missions, floaty combat, poorly implemented stealth, and a host of unlikable characters. The gameplay mechanics feel a generation or two older than the visuals and overall presentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I bought this, because I loved Assassin's Creed back in the day and was very interested in the Victorian era setting.

However, especially since I've dived into this after finishing MGSV, it's distinctly average. The setting is remarkable, and as a piece of historical tourism it's a lot of fun to explore the world. But once that novelty wears off you're left with dull, repetitive missions, floaty combat, poorly implemented stealth, and a host of unlikable characters. The gameplay mechanics feel a generation or two older than the visuals and overall presentation.

This is how I feel about AC lately. I love the franchise but nothing improves. Its getting a bit stale for me...i couldn't even finish unity. Ill pick it up preened eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Kirby wrote: »
    Black Flag was great. I'm still waiting for them to make "Pirates Creed" or something. I'll probably give this a miss. Fallout 4 is 2 weeks away and I have a game backlog that is so big I think I need a plumber.

Black Flag was the dogs gonads.

Swinging onto a ship, landing and taking out two enemies with arms spread eagled with pistols... EPIC....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Keyzer wrote: »
    Black Flag was the dogs gonads.

Swinging onto a ship, landing and taking out two enemies with arms spread eagled with pistols... EPIC....

They were insane not to use Black Flag to spin off a new Black Flag pirate/naval franchise (without anything about assassins, Abstergo etc) and alternate annual releases between AC and the new franchise. It'd keep the AC franchise fresher with more time to properly develop gameplay between releases, allow the Black Flag games to develop further (without the need to tie it in to the AC games), and they'd still meet their annual release schedule using largely the same game engine.

They're fools I tell you! Damned fools!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

I wouldn't be surprised if some ship game was in pipeline. Prince of Persia's Navy Dogs Crew.

My Xbone died the other day but I've been enjoying Syndicate. Though having the option to play memories out of sequence is a bit jarring. I should just play them in order but
    I want moar Piece of Eden
    stuff.

Henry Green being the lone Assassin for London is all the more impressive when he's the only Indian in town. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Black flag is the only one of these I've enjoyed, all others just felt repetitive and dull..

Is this game a big glitch mess on release like unity was? or did they have a complete game on release this time? judging by the time it took to make it, i doubt it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

nix wrote: »
    Black flag is the only one of these I've enjoyed, all others just felt repetitive and dull..

Is this game a big glitch mess on release like unity was? or did they have a complete game on release this time? judging by the time it took to make it, i doubt it :D

I haven't had any issues with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I should find out tomorrow what this is like, i've wanted to get it, and i was going to wait until Unity was finally optimised for the PC. However, i've also wanted to get the Uncharted HD Collection, and i've wanted to upgrade my HDD (PS4) to 1TB. To do all that would have cost me about €220, whereas Argos are doing a deal for a 1TB PS4, Watch_Dogs, AC: Syndicate and the Uncharted Collection for €380. Trade in my current PS4 and i'll get €250 for it in CEX, plus a few games i don't play anymore, and i'll get that deal for about €50. Win!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

ShaneU wrote: »
    I haven't had any issues with it

Two game freezes and a guy on a bench decided to do a circuit around a fountain while remaining in the seated position.

Can't say I minded too much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭cython

TweekeewT wrote: »
    Perhaps foolishly, I preordered the Big Ben edition directly from Ubisoft back in May.

I may be wrong, but I don't think even the most charitable could define 5 days after release as being "on time".

Pathetic.

Yeah, but pretty sure UPS don't care about release dates, just SLAs for delivery once they've been handed over to them ;)

Black flag was a great game but folks seem to have forgotten all the tail and eavesdropping missions it had those were seriously painful. I think there have only been 2 in Syndicate so far and I'm up to sequence 8 , guess all those 1* rating I made for them in Black Flag paid off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

But it had pirates. I was a pirate tailing other pirates! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Black flag was a great game but folks seem to have forgotten all the tail and eavesdropping missions it had those were seriously painful. I think there have only been 2 in Syndicate so far and I'm up to sequence 8 , guess all those 1* rating I made for them in Black Flag paid off :D

Oh yeah almost everything on land in Black Flag was pure dung, it's just that the pirate stuff was so damn great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Having played this for the last few days, I'm thoroughly impressed. It feels very different to the last few games, even though it's still familiar. I haven't played Unity, so I don't know if the changes were started with that, but having a button for going up and one for going down makes this feel more fluid, once you get the hang of it.

The combat is harder, it could take me ages to die in combat in the last few games, but this can get you right in the first half hour. Being surrounded is now something that you actively avoid.

The characters are all likeable in my opinion, with Jacob and Evie being stand outs. And the story is actually good.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this. It feels different enough to keep me playing, and the RPG elements really add to it, it's no longer just upgrading of weapons, it's loads of different weapons with different stats.

I'm only 20% in, but I will be trying to finish this well before Thursday!

Finished this one up last night, over all I enjoyed it though it has it's improvements it really is just another AC game. At least this time there was more of a payoff in terms of overall story.

Game was much easier I found than previous one, don't think I used any of the bomb types even the smoke ones which I relied upon in previous games. In this the throwing knives are ridiculously overpowered and the fact you can carry 20 at a time and their pretty long range makes clearing out areas unseen a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Penn wrote: »
    They were insane not to use Black Flag to spin off a new Black Flag pirate/naval franchise (without anything about assassins, Abstergo etc) and alternate annual releases between AC and the new franchise. It'd keep the AC franchise fresher with more time to properly develop gameplay between releases, allow the Black Flag games to develop further (without the need to tie it in to the AC games), and they'd still meet their annual release schedule using largely the same game engine.

They're fools I tell you! Damned fools!

And it's...
    Windy weather, boys, stormy weather, boys,
    When the wind blows, we're all together, boys;
    Blow ye winds westerly, blow ye winds, blow,
    Jolly sou'wester, boys, steady she goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Keyzer wrote: »
    And it's...
    Windy weather, boys, stormy weather, boys,
    When the wind blows, we're all together, boys;
    Blow ye winds westerly, blow ye winds, blow,
    Jolly sou'wester, boys, steady she goes.

To the tune of Born Slippy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Think the song I enjoyed the most was when I rocked up to some random island and Star of the County Down was playing.

im doing a templar mission and it says to walk in among a crowd to get close, i try this and any people i end up walking near or twards get pushed out of the way/fall cause a commotion, i literally cant get close to the mark without giving myself away, so i just run in kill him quick and run out with his guards chasing me...

WTF am i doing wrong? or is it just this bug ridden?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

as someone who tried to play the first 2 games and didn't like them would I enjoy this?

Skerries wrote: »
    as someone who tried to play the first 2 games and didn't like them would I enjoy this?
    It may be far enough removed from the first two that you would like it. I thought Unity was a decent game all said and done (I played it long after it had been patched). But it lacked something from the originals and wasn't different enough to hold my interest.

If you haven't played any since the first two I think it's mutated into something different by now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Skerries wrote: »

If you didn't like AC2, i'd say you won't like any of the series. AC2 was probably the best of the lot (maybe Brotherhood?).

I found AC1+2 boring

Black flag on the other hand i loved and im enjoying syndicate despite the odd bug

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Kiith wrote: »
    If you didn't like AC2, i'd say you won't like any of the series. AC2 was probably the best of the lot (maybe Brotherhood?).
    AC 2 seemed more steeped in the history. I remember enjoying exploring the historical sites more in those games. I know it's still there in the newer games but I didn't enjoy it as much, could be just the periods covered though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Agreed, AC2 was never a chore to look about the place because of the setting imo. Venice at night was pretty special, especially coupled with the music. I think it's easy to forget how brilliant AC2 was in comparison to AC1, a genuinely excellent improvement in all the right places. Revelations was maybe one too many, but on a second attempt at it, I really enjoyed Constantinople and seeing Ezio off.

The history felt shoved down my throat in AC3. HERE'S GEORGE WASHINGTON. Meh. The city hubs were nothing special either. I liked the idea of Conor as a character, but voice acting, dialogue and scripts let him down.

AC4 was brilliant. What a fun game! Gorgeous setting with a decent character and great pirate mechanics.

Unity wasn't so bad for me, but I only played it after the patches and the 180 on the companion app. Lovely looking game, but could transplant the main character with a cabbage and the personality transition would be seamless. It's a pity, too. I think the angle they went with (star crossed lovers etc.) wasn't a bad one, and could have been lovely.

Advertisement