Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Cheers for that, think I'll take the plunge!

Okay, so played it for the last week or so, and completed the main mission last night. This is not a bad game at all.

There are a good few positives:

Nice setting. Better than I thought it was going to be. London can be quite pretty.

Great great music, really fantastic stuff. And sound design.

The gameplay is typical enough, but the grapple is a nice addition. The fighting is quite brutal, but very very simple once you get the hang of it. Like an easy batman.

The murder mysteries are more difficult than Unity, hence more satisfying.

No multiplayer.
    A great little few side quests in WW1 London with Jacob's granddaughter and Winston Churchill. It wasn't signposted, just appeared on my map and I had a gawk. London bridge and Zepplins.

There are new missions for the queen after the main story.

Above all, they've made the best lead characters since Ezio. Especially Evie. Jacob is a little too flat by himself but the two of them work well together.

Negatives:

I'll get castigated for this. I actually liked the modern day stuff. I can understand certain criticisms, but it got way over the top, and the reaction from UbiSoft is a distillation down to tiny cut scenes. The severe lack of it makes it all a little strange, story-wise. (Well...more strange)

The dialogue gets clunky at times. Quite a bit. The bitty nature of the narrative and quests doesn't help. Some decent voice acting though.

Item hunts. A good few of them. My issue is the lack of difficulty with any of them (except one, the musical boxes). And a good few of them....I have NO idea why I'm collecting them. It's just not explained well.

The carriage riding is a mix of sublime and ridiculous. Causing havoc and flying at high speeds around corners is hilarious, but the controls can by annoying, especially during chases, or when you are chased.

The idea of Evie and Jacob having different skill-sets is a great idea, BUT they aren't different enough. Yes, maxed out Evie is more stealthy (satisfyingly so), but she can also tank it. She needed to be more fragile in an all out brawl.

Solid 3.5/5 for me. Ubisoft really really need to stop bringing out one a year. If they stepped back and planned a route for this story, it could work well and they could end up with some very polished games, rather than games that never really live up to AC2/4 (delete as appropriate). Even every two years could do it.

Anyway, if you like the series, I'd recommend if you can get a lend of the game, or when it gets cheap after Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I finally got around to playing this after buying it a while ago. I'm sorry that I didn't play it sooner before the nominations for Boards games of the year. This is easily the best game of 2015. I am a big fan of the AC series admittedly but this is a great game.

The city environment is extremely well done and despite the fact that it is quite big it is easy to traverse. Driving carriages around is fun and the new quick climbing tool is a god send.

Having two characters to switch between is a nice new feature and if you choose different skills for each character you will notice a difference in the gameplay. Some of the fight moves are even more violent that past AC games and that is saying something. My favourite has been Evie doing her best impression of a famous neck breaking scene from The Raid.

The gang building feature is great too. Initially I wasn't too bothered with recruiting gang members to follow me around. But once I did I can't stop doing it. Its is like the old function from Brotherhood where you can call in a troop of Assassin's to murder everyone on screen. It's not quite as cool in Syndicate but it is still as effective. I also like the train as your headquarters. The trains running around the city and the busy Thames makes the city feel alive in a way that Paris in Unity didn't. Overall this is just streets ahead of AC Unity.

I've yet to finish Syndicate but my current top 3 AC games are:

Brotherhood
    Syndicate
    Rogue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Being playing this now for a couple of weeks and i really like it. Haven't played an assasins game since AC 2 so im quite enjoying this.

What has me baffled is when you
    go to World War 1, you amount money fairly quickly but i cant seem to be able to do anything with this money or am i missing something? i thought when i would go back to the 1800's that i would have a shed load of money to spend.

not sure i needed the spoiler thing but better safe than ruin the game on someone.

etxp wrote: »
    Being playing this now for a couple of weeks and i really like it. Haven't played an assasins game since AC 2 so im quite enjoying this.

What has me baffled is when you
    go to World War 1, you amount money fairly quickly but i cant seem to be able to do anything with this money or am i missing something? i thought when i would go back to the 1800's that i would have a shed load of money to spend.

not sure i needed the spoiler thing but better safe than ruin the game on someone.

Never noticed that...strange one. I jumped in and out once I cleared that area. I assume you can buy gear there, perhaps that's what it's for? Just so you don't run out of items if you want to run around
    WW1 London
    for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Having Evie fully upgraded is great craic. Nothing better than hiding out in the open.

http://blog.ubi.com/a-message-from-the-assassins-creed-team/

There'll be no new AAA Assassin's Creed game this year.

Good. Hopefully they've all been given a copy of Undertale, and sent to Poland to study under CDP Red for 12 months.

Having Evie fully upgraded is great craic. Nothing better than hiding out in the open.

Until you do the ripper dlc and she forgets she has that skill :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

sheep? wrote: »
    http://blog.ubi.com/a-message-from-the-assassins-creed-team/There'll be no new AAA Assassin's Creed game this year.

Wonder if there is any chance of Rogue on PS4/Xbox One.

Until you do the ripper dlc and she forgets she has that skill :(
    Noooooooooooo! :pac:
    I'm planning on downloading that next week, have everything done except for the music boxes and the carriage races.

Oh well as long as she still has the throwing knives skills I'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I'm playing this now and it's great craic I guess the only complaint is the combination of the knives (Evie can carry ~34 with the large pouch and certain outfits), the rope launcher and the "valley"* nature of some of the areas like the gang strongholds have so far made it sometimes too easy to pick off every blighter in an area without ever being detected.

I have completed the first memory in sequence five but have been doing a lot of side missions (hijacks, train robberies and destroying cargo) and clearing out the blighters (think I've cleared Whitechapel, Lambeth, Southwark, The Thames and The City) it's good fun just running round.

* i.e. most enemies are standing around at street level surrounded by the buildings so they usually can't see you but you can see/target/kill them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Picked this up last week and I'm enjoying it so far, but one thing that baffles me is I'm only on sequence 4 but I've just took over my third borough and it's already giving me acccess to sequence 8? Would it ruin the whole story if I tried it now or is it just supposed to happen so soon?.

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Picked this up last week and I'm enjoying it so far, but one thing that baffles me is I'm only on sequence 4 but I've just took over my third borough and it's already giving me acccess to sequence 8? Would it ruin the whole story if I tried it now or is it just supposed to happen so soon?.

that triggers when you do 3 boroughs.

Something tells me to leave it until you're up to and finished sequence 6 but I don't think it messes anything up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

that triggers when you do 3 boroughs.

Something tells me to leave it until you're up to and finished sequence 6 but I don't think it messes anything up.

Seen a post of Reddit that says it just gives you rewards and doesn't ruin the story, but might just leave it off anyway and do them in order.

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Leave it off for now it might require skills or abilities you don't have yet.
    Take over as many boroughs as your level will allow, let the money build up and take your time with the story.
    That way you won't be underpowered xp wise and if you come across any gang upgrades or weapons you want it won't take you too long to get your hands on them.

Advertisement