Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decorations...when is it too early?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Any time before December is too early. People putting up Christmas stuff the day after Halloween drives me mental. What's next, feckin' Paddy's day decorations going up in January??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Any time before December is too early. People putting up Christmas stuff the day after Halloween drives me mental. What's next, feckin' Paddy's day decorations going up in January??

Paddys day is like halloween. Not everyone decorates and it's only for a few days. Christmas is a month to 6 weeks normally. Some people put up early to get more enjoyment, some people leave it late becuase thats the way they are,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not really pushed when people put up their decorations but my one rule is they should remain up for the twelve days of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Anything before December 1st is too early, imo.

We usually wait til around the 16th or so. We get a real tree so any earlier than that and it'd be dead by Christmas Day even in a water stand.

My sister-in-law ended up buying a second tree one year because she got hers on December 1st and it was so wilted by Christmas week she couldn't bear to look at it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

SMJSF wrote: »
    Well, i haven't waited this year... They had started creeping out of boxes recently, and broke in to my apartment last night, and I have a tree and the lights up now... And it wasn't planned... I was in a fowl mood yesterday, and had to do something to calm me down!!
    Turkey? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Aputernut

My inside is 95% decorated will finish today, now if only weather would cool down to start outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

endacl wrote: »
    Turkey? :pac:

Foul, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

This seems appropriate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

In my own personal opinion, any time before December 1st is too early BUT then again, it's none of my business when people put theirs up.
    It's their home and their choice, but I always put mine up around December 1st or 2nd...whenever I get a chance.

I can relate to what someone said a few posts back when they said they can get tired looking at the tree and decorations if they're up too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I think my mam is going to start decorating I'm late November.

By the first week of November she will have the house kitted out and 3 Christmas trees decorated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Only 3 weeks left, I'm itching to get them up!

Only 3 weeks left, I'm itching to get them up!

I know ! Especially when all the Christmas adds are on TV !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Last week of November at the earliest for me.....don't want to dilute the vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Ok I seen a house yesterday evening with lights on it!!
    I was in such disbelief (and was heading out on a rare night of drinking that I thought I had imagined it even though I was sober going out) I actually got into the car this evening to go and see... Yup icicle lights switched on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Expected to have decorations up at this stage but with a family funeral end of last month have to wait until after months mind (28th) picked up a new tree and some new decorations today in the shops though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

We got our first Christmas card last week, whatever about trees going up, a card in mid November was a surprise!!

I had planned to get a lot more decorating done this weekend but to be honest weather been so bad Im afraid to put anything outside yet ! Inside is being done slowly but steadily normally after kids are in bed ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I had planned to get a lot more decorating done this weekend but to be honest weather been so bad Im afraid to put anything outside yet ! Inside is being done slowly but steadily normally after kids are in bed ! :)

I wouldn't blame you not doing outside yet it sounds wild out, I'm still ticking off my cleaning to do list before the decorations go up, we need some decluttering too, Hope to be on schedule for the day before the toyshow, we cant do lights I just can't cope with them so My lovely aunt volenteers every year to do our lights, she's a pro

SarahLil wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame you not doing outside yet it sounds wild out, I'm still ticking off my cleaning to do list before the decorations go up, we need some decluttering too, Hope to be on schedule for the day before the toyshow, we cant do lights I just can't cope with them so My lovely aunt volenteers every year to do our lights, she's a pro

Oh no ! Is it the detangeling (sp? ) of the lights !? :o I got a lovely reindeer in Lidl earlier in the week for the garden but as I type this a wheelie bin from 5 doors down has just blown past my garden so don't think my little deer would stand a chance ! :)

Oh no ! Is it the detangeling (sp? ) of the lights !? :o I got a lovely reindeer in Lidl earlier in the week for the garden but as I type this a wheelie bin from 5 doors down has just blown past my garden so don't think my little deer would stand a chance ! :)

Awh he poor little deer I remember it from your post it defo wouldn't stand a chance, We just can't cope with fairy lights, I even bought a couple of things from Kleenez catalogue that's brilliant for storing fairy lights but for the mean time I will leave it in my aunts capable hands, she secretly loves us relying on her Lol it's tradition now

• Advertisement

SarahLil wrote: »
    Awh he poor little deer I remember it from your post it defo wouldn't stand a chance, We just can't cope with fairy lights, I even bought a couple of things from Kleenez catalogue that's brilliant for storing fairy lights but for the mean time I will leave it in my aunts capable hands, she secretly loves us relying on her Lol it's tradition now

I know it sounds odd but try wrapping them around a clothes hanger for storage! Works a treat :) haha yea my deer would make rudolph proud soaring through the skies at 100kph :pac:

I had to decorate my grans tree for a few years and I used to have nightmares about trying to untangle the lump of lights that had been slung into a box! After the second year I insisted I'd take them down if I was the one detangeling them the following year ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My mother is very traditional and doesn't put them up until Christmas Eve. Then they come down on Jan 7th, so she gets the twelve days of Christmas. The poor old wise men don't get put into the crib until Jan 6th, so they only get a single day out in the entire year.

I like the idea of keeping Christmas "constrained" so that I can get a real kick out of it. I'll probably put them up after Dec 18th. I'm planning to finish work for two weeks that day so it's a good time to put them up. They'll stay up then until Jan 7th.

I know it sounds odd but try wrapping them around a clothes hanger for storage! Works a treat :) haha yea my deer would make rudolph proud soaring through the skies at 100kph :pac:

I had to decorate my grans tree for a few years and I used to have nightmares about trying to untangle the lump of lights that had been slung into a box! After the second year I insisted I'd take them down if I was the one detangeling them the following year ! :)

Brilliant the poor deer! Even Rudolph wouldn't go out in that weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I'm really restraining myself, this time last year I had glass stickers up but kept main decorations until the toy show week. I'm doing it all that week this year, partly because my hubby is away and I can't wait to see how excited my girls are to show him when he comes home that Friday

I'm really restraining myself, this time last year I had glass stickers up but kept main decorations until the toy show week. I'm doing it all that week this year, partly because my hubby is away and I can't wait to see how excited my girls are to show him when he comes home that Friday

Awh that sounds lovely ! I noticed my neighbour had snow flake stickers up on their windows ... I instantly felt territorial :o oh no you didn't get your decorations up before me :pac:
    (At this point id like to add she is actually a lovely woman and I swear I'm not that insane really ) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Anything before the weekend before Christmas day is too early.
    Options for tree erection, and general decoratings, wreaths etc are :
    - the Sat/Sunday before Christmas
    - the 23rd
    - the 24th

keeping it to the 23rd or 24th really makes the Christmas period worthwhile rather than front loaded where its blows out on the 25th/26th and the rest of the holiday proper is just a flat drag that you are just waiting to see the end of.

Before 8th Dec, or worse, November, is just madness altogether.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Whenever is special to the individual is the right time to put them up. There's no right or wrong time or madness.

The world needs more Christmas cheer in it than less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Lola18 wrote: »
    Ok so my partner has been tormenting me for the last week about putting the decorations up! I tried my best holding off until at least after halloween....hes rooting them out right now!!
    Is it ever really too early??

Seriously? I thought this was a **ss take tbh.
    Anytime before December is a crime against humanity imho. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

The way things are going with Xmas starting earlier every year by 2085 decorations will go up in January giving up Xmas all year round.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

21st December is soon enough.

Advertisement