Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

distant cousin

• 21-10-2015 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

A friend of mine has been textin and seein someone for the last few months, he just found out that the girl and him are distant cousins, fourth cousins! he is confused on what to do cos he likes her alot. is distant cousins a big no no? or is fourth cousin considered distant? i dont know any of my fourth cousins!that i know of anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

From a genetic perspective they would not be considered related, so no problems there. From a social perspective I would think there wouldn't be any problem but I wouldn't be 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

So they share a great, great, great, grandfather. That seems pretty removed from me. No problems legally. I'd say this is probably common enough in a country as small as Ireland but nobody realises. How did they find out?? You'd have to do a family tree to have that much detail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Well it's legal to marry your first cousin, so there's no legal or genetic issues.

However, how close is his family? Would her parents know his? If the families don't know each other, I wouldn't see it being a problem. I'd suggest they tell the families though because it may be something that could cause aggro in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Ah for goodness sake! Only in Ireland :rolleyes: My eldest recently discovered he's second cousins once removed (whatever that means) from his ex headmistress and was disgusted. I can't even work out what relationship that is, but apparently we're now related!

I mean, ok....so it's great when you walk into a shop in the parish and people start tracing who you "belong" to and what way they're married in, etc. and it gives you a great sense of place and community, but in terms of people taking up with some very distant relative who wouldn't be in any way close enough to even be invited to the same wedding then nobody bats an eyelid.

These things I have discovered after 20 yrs in a tiny rural village, so I think the couple in question are safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Fourth cousins only share 0.195% of dna so they're grand. It's more the "ick" factor, which is only in their minds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement