Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bressie

Options
  • 21-10-2015 4:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭

Guys- I've been tooling around on Bressie's website having read his book about his mate Jeffery as well. He has some advice about Tri but should I trust it? Is he considered a reputable source w/in the community? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Guys- I've been tooling around on Bressie's website having read his book about his mate Jeffery as well. He has some advice about Tri but should I trust it? Is he considered a reputable source w/in the community? Thanks.

I've worked with him and while he is relatively new to the sport in the past couple of years, he was a professional sportsman at one stage and has dedicated himself in as much as possible as anyone else to becoming the best triathlete that he can himself.

In saying that he does not have the limitations that some of us have in terms of the capabilities of the people who are coaching and training him.

People will mock the 'celebrity' status of the guy, but he works with well reputed coaches and gives a lot to his training.

I think his mental approach and positivity is the key. I haven't read the lust for life site fully, or the articles on triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'd say his plenty credible - from starting out as a typical beginner at 3 provinces to doing the Dublin 70.3 this year he's consistently improving and seems to be enjoying it.

As a bad point - He did get a lot more cheers than me in the phoenix park :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd say his plenty credible - from starting out as a typical beginner at 3 provinces to doing the Dublin 70.3 this year he's consistently improving and seems to be enjoying it.

As a bad point - He did get a lot more cheers than me in the phoenix park :)

He went by me and the girl I was watching with cheered for him. I asked '' who is he? is he in the club?''
    I was being serious. She did say Niall rather than Bressie, I wouldn't have recognised him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I beat him in Kilkenny :p I wouldn't take advice off me though :D

Seems to be a sound fella and I'd imagine he gives an honest approach. In saying that he does have a lot in his favour when it comes to training. Watt bike/coaches etc.

Plenty of reputable coaches/programmes and books out there and there's a few lads on here who will give advice also some whether you want it or not :)

What kind of advice are you looking for anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

I seen him doing press-ups before the 2 Provence's. Lets hope that's not one of his top tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

rooneyjm wrote: »
    I seen him doing press-ups before the 2 Provence's. Lets hope that's not one of his top tips.

Push ups in triathlon seem to be de rigeur :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

AKW wrote: »
    Push ups in triathlon seem to be de rigeur :)

The real 4th discipline of triathlon...

cjt156 wrote: »
    The real 4th discipline of triathlon...

I thought that was looking the part closely followed by acting the part :)

All will be revealed next Sunday on Bressie's Ironmind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

rooneyjm wrote: »

why do you think this is such a bad idea
    its not be right for everybody but can be a good idea for some if you cant do wu swim imediately before the race
    ( i have no idea who that bressie guy is but i think he is awfullly slow - is that correct ? )

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    ( i have no idea who that bressie guy is but i think he is awfullly slow - is that correct ? )

Top third I'd imagine better than the average joe.

Branched into long distance last year I think, maybe it was only middle distance.

He's in a band or x factor from all accounts a down to earth good skin. No visions of grandeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

its not be right for everybody but can be a good idea for some if you cant do wu swim imediately before the race

He finished just ahead of me in Dublin 70.3 - 5.07 I think. (I think he was carrying an injury too, but not sure how much impact it had on his performance on the day)

Seemed to be sound enough to acknowledge all the shouts he was getting from the crowd, which must have been a pain in the arse for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

He finished just ahead of me in Dublin 70.3 - 5.07 I think. (I think he was carrying an injury too, but not sure how much impact it had on his performance on the day)

Seemed to be sound enough to acknowledge all the shouts he was getting from the crowd, which must have been a pain in the arse for him

ok 5.07 certainly not awfully slow , more like ok club level

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

had to look him up there on wikipedia, he has more sporting talent than most:

Breslin represented his native county team, Westmeath, in Gaelic football at Minor, Under-21 and Senior Championship levels.[7] He won a Leinster Under-21 Football Championship medal with Westmeath in 2000. He was also a professional rugby player with Leinster Rugby.[citation needed] He had a scholarship in UCD for rugby and also represented Ireland at Under21 level in the World Cup.

W.r.t the press ups I just think to fatigue your pecks, shoulders and triceps just before you get in the water is not something I would advocate but I'm not a swim coach so I'll stand corrected. I know his background was gaa and rugby so there is a good chance he used pull himself thro the water with his upper body much like myself (bad body position).
    Other than that he's probably grand, people in Ireland like to knock you if your remotely successful. I think he gets a bit of free gear because of who he is but sure you can't hold that against him, I'd take it myself.

Advertisement