Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time skiing/snowboarding holiday, wish to go for 2 weeks, need suggestion.

• 21-10-2015 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, I am 22 and I have 2 weeks of holidays at work available which are not transferable to next year nor they are compensated if not used, I wish to go for Snowboarding/Skiing holiday but I haven't been to such before.

I don't know any resorts or locations and most websites I searched were either not working or only showing packages for 1 week. Has anybody gone on skiing holiday for 2 weeks? Any suggestions?

What price would I be looking for on average to pay for 2 weeks of accommodation?

Destination doesn't really matter but snowy/mountainous surroundings would be very great (Apparently I am into cold and that kind of environment).

I am looking at 20th of December up until 3rd of January.
    Also I assume accommodation is the most expensive part of holiday, right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Have a look here: https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/, if you are going on your own it might be ideal and you could book two weeks back to back, you'd only need to organise your flights on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Have a look here: https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/, if you are going on your own it might be ideal and you could book two weeks back to back, you'd only need to organise your flights on top of that.

Action outdoors will be as good value as you can get for the weeks you are looking at going.
    You are looking at possibly the worst time of the year to pricewise. Xmas week and New years week are very expensive and flights won't be cheap either.

Be warned that skiing and boarding is tiring on a beginners legs , so 2 weeks could be too much. The legs have always given up by the time i am flying back home after a week.

You could be better off doing a week of the 12th dec, somewhere high up. I see action outdoors have weeks there in Val d'Isere which should have enough snow to teach ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭cormee

I agree with lbj666, you will be completely knackered after a week. So pick somewhere with a big town, so you can take days off.
    Hit the gym now if you're serious about it, work on your legs and your core (if you are snowboarding), that will stand to you when you get there.

It's a tall order by the way! I love snowboarding, but after a week on the slopes I'm always happy to get on the plane home (a few days after getting back I'll be going mental to get back on the board though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

So a bit more premium 1 week holiday would be better than a bit lower 2 week holiday?
    I am just thinking that if I get instructor - I will spend most of the time learning and barely any skiing/snowboarding myself.

arleitiss wrote: »
    So a bit more premium 1 week holiday would be better than a bit lower 2 week holiday?
    I am just thinking that if I get instructor - I will spend most of the time learning and barely any skiing/snowboarding myself.

A full week, followed by a very long weekend later in the season, is the way I do it. Works out fine.

You wouldn't spend all day with the instructor, you'd probably have the morning or afternoon off to do your own thing.

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    A full week, followed by a very long weekend later in the season, is the way I do it. Works out fine.

You wouldn't spend all day with the instructor, you'd probably have the morning or afternoon off to do your own thing.

Have you ever gone alone to skiing holiday?

Also know anything about these guys: https://www.skistar.com/
    I would love to go to Norway/Sweden for such holiday.

Yes, once. I found it very boring to be honest. After 5.30 pm, or so, I was on my own for the rest of the night, praying for bedtime to arrive.
    If you do go by yourself bring a lot of downloaded films.
    Other people on this forum have done it, and don't mind it, but I probably wouldn't do it again, definitely not for a full week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

2015 I did 1 week and 4 weeks. Took the odd day off when the weather sucked donkey balls.

2016 I'm going for 2 weeks and 2 weeks. I love my bluebird days.

Even if fit you'll struggle after a week. Skiing and boarding is very much about technique. Most last 5 possibly 6 days. Don't forget hangovers will really take their toll too. My first few trips I'd do 4 hour lessons for 5 days. The 6th day is normally the last day of a 1 week trip and I'd able to do a half day on the hill.

Now a days it's only the weather that holds me back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yes, once. I found it very boring to be honest. After 5.30 pm, or so, I was on my own for the rest of the night, praying for bedtime to arrive.
    If you do go by yourself bring a lot of downloaded films.
    Other people on this forum have done it, and don't mind it, but I probably wouldn't do it again, definitely not for a full week.

Total opposite experience here Cormee ha, Did a week with action outdoors last yr, I was bricking it alittle heading over thinking it could be a boring week alone, but 95% of everyone else were solo also. Turned out to be one of the best holidays ever, and great to meet loads of like minded new people. I'm close on booking 3days to VT with them late Nov again, 11 already booked in with them that weekend so I wouldn't bat an eyelid about going solo again. Not for every ski trip though, prb the most important thing is to check with Action outdoors and ask them how many have booked into whatever week and resort you want to go to. I'll certainly have afew downloaded films/tv series for the airplane/travel etc though also ha.

Would you use hotels wifi?

• Advertisement

Tends to be crap enough 2bh, if ya want films etc defo much safer bet to bring them with ya!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Total opposite experience here Cormee ha, Did a week with action outdoors last yr, I was bricking it alittle heading over thinking it could be a boring week alone, but 95% of everyone else were solo also. Turned out to be one of the best holidays ever, and great to meet loads of like minded new people. I'm close on booking 3days to VT with them late Nov again, 11 already booked in with them that weekend so I wouldn't bat an eyelid about going solo again. Not for every ski trip though, prb the most important thing is to check with Action outdoors and ask them how many have booked into whatever week and resort you want to go to. I'll certainly have afew downloaded films/tv series for the airplane/travel etc though also ha.

You're probably a lot more sociable than me!

I stayed in a regular hotel, so it wasn't really a "group type" place, just a couple of octogenarians and a few French families in the breakfast room. I wouldn't dream of going to an apres ski pub by myself, so there was none of that. I'd have a few pints in the hotel bar, and chart rugby with the French barman, and that was the height of it! I'd be in my room by 6pm, and be there until breakfast the following morning.

Ha nay I wouldn't be fantastic at putting myself out there, at least with age my social skills seem to be improving, but I would have prb felt the very same if I was in a normal hotel, and wouldn't really fancy it at all, the key is finding places with loads of other solo skiiers like the ucpa.

Okay I looked around https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk
    I have few questions:
    There are many options which say there are training sessions every day, are you allowed to go free skiing/snowboarding during when there is no training?
    Is there perhaps such packages which have every day morning instructions/guides and then all afternoon is off for free time?

Pick the 1/2 time option, 2 1/2hr lessons in the morning only, 12hrs in total. In general 1/2 time lessons cost 50 extra, and full time 100e. 50e is an utter bargain, and I'd advice all levels of skiers to do it, they do grade everyone fairly well according to ability, so everyone can learn something. Also great for solo skiers, you get to know your group well. No pressure to attend every single day either, I skipped them one day to do a huge full day ski tour the far side (that was actually utterly epic, up the glacier from Val D'Isere if anyone knows it, was all a fresh dump of pure powder!).

Actually the only negative, the instrutors can bit alittle hit and miss, Mine was very good, but another group had one whole talked in French most the time, in that case I'd be changing group fairly quick.

You should consider going with these people: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057506897

Alpe d'huez is a grand place to learn. I learned there myself, so I can attest to it.

You should consider going with these people: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057506897

Alpe d'huez is a grand place to learn. I learned there myself, so I can attest to it.

That's in January though, my holiday days must be used by end of this year.

That's in January though, my holiday days must be used by end of this year.

look over on the solo thread on snowheads.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭hognef

Skistar is definitely a reputable company through which to book a holiday in their destinations. Have booked with them before (Trysil and Hemsedal). As a Norwegian I would have no problem recommending both. Some considerations:

Both generally have proper snow early each season (Hemsedal, for example, have opened in November each of the 12 years, according to the website), so that should be pretty much guaranteed. Both have lots of accommodation (chalets/cabins) on or very near the slopes themselves (no need for transport each day), though if you're alone you'll probably stay in a hotel, which won't be quite as convenient.

Norway is generally much less busy than the Alps, so less queuing for lifts (probably less nightlife too). The resorts are smaller, however, with fewer (particularly advanced) slopes (not a problem for a beginner, though).

Norway is also expensive (particularly alcohol and food). And both resorts are a good distance from airports (but public transport should be fine from OSL to either - do check times though).

You also won't find many Irish or English people in Norwegian resorts (mainly Scandinavians).

Don't think Skistar does flights, they're accommodation only. Do fly to OSL (Norwegian or Scandinavian Airlines) rather than RYG (which rules out Ryanair) unless you have a lot of time to spare.

hognef wrote: »
    Skistar is definitely a reputable company through which to book a holiday in their destinations. Have booked with them before (Trysil and Hemsedal). As a Norwegian I would have no problem recommending both. Some considerations:

Both generally have proper snow early each season (Hemsedal, for example, have opened in November each of the 12 years, according to the website), so that should be pretty much guaranteed. Both have lots of accommodation (chalets/cabins) on or very near the slopes themselves (no need for transport each day), though if you're alone you'll probably stay in a hotel, which won't be quite as convenient.

Norway is generally much less busy than the Alps, so less queuing for lifts (probably less nightlife too). The resorts are smaller, however, with fewer (particularly advanced) slopes (not a problem for a beginner, though).

Norway is also expensive (particularly alcohol and food). And both resorts are a good distance from airports (but public transport should be fine from OSL to either - do check times though).

You also won't find many Irish or English people in Norwegian resorts (mainly Scandinavians).

Don't think Skistar does flights, they're accommodation only. Do fly to OSL (Norwegian or Scandinavian Airlines) rather than RYG (which rules out Ryanair) unless you have a lot of time to spare.

Yeah I was looking at Hemsedal, it looks nice but accomodation is expensive as all accomodation is for 4 people minimum it seems, there is no single rooms.

+ Distance to it from major airports seems like a big inconvenience.

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone.
    I ended up getting Val Thorens 7 days full time instruction.
    Total holiday worked out at 930 Euro.
    19th of Dec till 26th of Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

you should go to Kiltiernan (Ski Club) or the Ski Centre (In Sandyford Industrial Estate) and get lessons before you go - id recommend anyone to go do them as everyone always finishes their first week with their technique coming on loads but they ran out of time to enjoy the mountain properly.

If you have a handle of the basics before you go then this process will be easier and quicker.

Plus your first few days in the ski boots wont be so sore - your muscles will be somewhat used to the pressure of skiing. the gym is great but doesnt replicate the exercises in the same way

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

granty1987 wrote: »
    you should go to Kiltiernan (Ski Club) or the Ski Centre (In Sandyford Industrial Estate) and get lessons before you go - id recommend anyone to go do them as everyone always finishes their first week with their technique coming on loads but they ran out of time to enjoy the mountain properly.

If you have a handle of the basics before you go then this process will be easier and quicker.

Plus your first few days in the ski boots wont be so sore - your muscles will be somewhat used to the pressure of skiing. the gym is great but doesnt replicate the exercises in the same way

Enjoy

Agree big time with this. Get three or four lessons in Kilternan before you go and you will have a far more enjoyable holiday as you will progress much faster.
    My first ski holiday I did three lessons in Kilternan before the holiday and was skiing blues and reds by the end of the first week where my friends who had not were still on the nursery slopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭trashcan

maddness wrote: »
    Agree big time with this. Get three or four lessons in Kilternan before you go and you will have a far more enjoyable holiday as you will progress much faster.
    My first ski holiday I did three lessons in Kilternan before the holiday and was skiing blues and reds by the end of the first week where my friends who had not were still on the nursery slopes.

Opposite with me actually. I went to Kiltiernan for a day before I first went skiing. Honestly, If I hadn't booked already would have thought again about going. Those falls in Kiltiernan bloody hurt:(. Didn't think it helped a huge amount when over there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭mulbot

Were they doing ski school?

Yes, we all did but I progressed quicker as I had been for the lessons here before we went.
    Different strokes but I found Kilternan great when I was a beginner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭mulbot

Yes, we all did but I progressed quicker as I had been for the lessons here before we went.
    Different strokes but I found Kilternan great when I was a beginner.

Yea I've seen some people who've came along on a few trips over the years do a bit better when they've had a few lessons there- the ski school thing though isn't great for people wanting to progress quickly,good for meeting people,having craic,but you can't beat a private lesson with an instructor,and still at a reasonable price

trashcan wrote: »
    Opposite with me actually. I went to Kiltiernan for a day before I first went skiing. Honestly, If I hadn't booked already would have thought again about going. Those falls in Kiltiernan bloody hurt:(. Didn't think it helped a huge amount when over there either.

Can I ask when you were there? Was it on the big slopes (dendex) or the new white nursery slopes (snowflex)? (the first is a diamond shaped pattern, the second does not have any gaps in the design)

Reason I ask is that the old surface on the two main slopes is Dendex and yes that can bloody hurt if you fall on it repeatedly.

The new Snowflex slopes there on the other hand are heavily cushioned and are very hard to hurt yourself on. Since they came in, we have moved Freestyle to them on Friday nights and the progression as a result of people not hurting themselves doing fairly advanced tricks is impressive.

The snowflex is really nice to learn on - beginners and freestyle enthusiasts alike

im just a regular member of the place btw

Can I ask when you were there? Was it on the big slopes (dendex) or the new white nursery slopes (snowflex)?

In fairness it was 2009, so the old surface I'm assuming. Ouch. I wasn't the quickest learner either to be honest. Probably took me 2/3 holidays to become competent on skis. Holiday no.8 next Feb. How time flies. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Skistar are excellent, they run some of the best resorts here in Norway !

For example Hemsidal and Trysil are probably two of the best in Norway.
    Now you cant compare to Alpine skiing, but there is more than enough to keep you busy skiing for a week.

Just know that food and drink in Norway is quite expensive !

I live in Telemark so If you have any questions about skiing in Norway just give me a shout :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Can I ask when you were there? Was it on the big slopes (dendex) or the new white nursery slopes (snowflex)? (the first is a diamond shaped pattern, the second does not have any gaps in the design)

Reason I ask is that the old surface on the two main slopes is Dendex and yes that can bloody hurt if you fall on it repeatedly.

The new Snowflex slopes there on the other hand are heavily cushioned and are very hard to hurt yourself on. Since they came in, we have moved Freestyle to them on Friday nights and the progression as a result of people not hurting themselves doing fairly advanced tricks is impressive.

The snowflex is really nice to learn on - beginners and freestyle enthusiasts alike

I'd been snowboarding about 7 times, and one year a new guy was planning to come with our group, he was nervous about going with people who were fairly confident, so I offered to go to Kiltiernan with him so he could get a days lessons done ahead of the trip. He got on grand, but I couldnt for the life of of me get the hang of the dendex or the snowflex. It was kinda bruising for my ego as well as I was hoping to wow him with how good I (thought) I was. :pac::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Overflow wrote: »
    Now you cant compare to Alpine skiing, but there is more than enough to keep you busy skiing for a week.

Can you expand on that a little? How is it different? I've only skied France and Andorra.

Seifer wrote: »
    Can you expand on that a little? How is it different? I've only skied France and Andorra.

I think and correct me if i am wrong, the different in altitude from top to bottom in norway is a lot less than your typical alpine resort. I imagine since norway is very coastal that the snow is wet , so icier and the weather generally would be a lot more inclement that the alp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I meant in terms of size, run lengths and altitude of the resorts. You also wont find nice restaurants dotted around the mountains.

For example this is how Hemsedal and Trysil looks, two of norways biggest resorts:

Hemsedal
    Hemsedal_Norway_1.jpg

Trysil
    trysil_skistar6.jpg?maxwidth=750&maxheight=2147483647&mode=max

I'd been snowboarding about 7 times, and one year a new guy was planning to come with our group, he was nervous about going with people who were fairly confident, so I offered to go to Kiltiernan with him so he could get a days lessons done ahead of the trip. He got on grand, but I couldnt for the life of of me get the hang of the dendex or the snowflex. It was kinda bruising for my ego as well as I was hoping to wow him with how good I (thought) I was. :pac::rolleyes:

Ha yeah that happens to so many good boarders/skiers who come to KT. I was exactly the same. Its more obvious with boarders.

There are some downsides to it for an experienced person - mainly if you have never been before, you really need to slow down turning (take your time getting the board back to neutral down the slope) you can't carve as hard or stop as fast as you can wash out easily compared to snow. Its easier to catch an edge as well.

But once you take your time and get used to it, I do think it has benefits before a trip - just leave your ego at the door for the first few runs!

The adage goes, that if you can do it in KT, you can do it anywhere.

I did a freestyle coaching course a few months ago there and I actually learned so much about my technique (or lack there of) as my switch riding on the dry slopes was just awful. This was probably due to being a ex skier who taught himself how to snowboard... should have gotten the lessons when i started, but at least now I know the breakdown and reasoning of the mechanics as opposed to just feeling it

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    In fairness it was 2009, so the old surface I'm assuming. Ouch. I wasn't the quickest learner either to be honest. Probably took me 2/3 holidays to become competent on skis. Holiday no.8 next Feb. How time flies. :)

Yea that stuff just hurts.. Where are you off to?

I'd love to try the freestyle night up in Kilternan. Has anyone done it and is it any good?

I'd love to try the freestyle night up in Kilternan. Has anyone done it and is it any good?

yeah i'm up every Friday from 7

Its gotten very good in the last few years with the backing of the Ski Club. They have invested in its now and we bought some new features from Scandinavian Shapers - a box and a rail. Both are a great addition to the kicker and Wav pipe (local favorite)

We regularly get 15-20 people a night. Serious range in abilities but everyone's friendly and encouraging, the ski club provided coaching courses for a few of us (skier and boarder) from the ex GB half pipe coach so we have started giving coaching to anyone who asks (or doesnt!)

If you have any questions, lemme know or get in touch with Snowpark Ireland on fb

What kind of skis do they give you for the freestyle nights and is the cost the same as an open session?

DoraDelite wrote: »
    What kind of skis do they give you for the freestyle nights and is the cost the same as an open session?

Ski club only has standard skis available, twin tips could be available in the future but I dont know.

Plenty of people have learned a lot on those skis so I wouldnt knock them but generally people are quite easy going with letting others try out their own twintips if they are interested

Cost is the same for an open session - you just need to bring a helmet

• Advertisement

I do have my own skis but I'd imagine they'd get wrecked up there? or is it different for the freestyle night?

Whoever has their own equipment - uses it there. As long as you keep the bases waxed then its the same as being on snow.

More of a risk with Sintered bases as the pores in the base can seal off a bit with excessive heat when they havnt been waxed in a long time. But as long as you regularly wax them this wont happen. All of my boards are sintered and I have no issue using them there.

If you land very tail heavy off the jump then its possible to snap it, but that is the exact same as snow.

What skis do you have? I say, if you have twins, bring them as they have a big advantage over whats up there if you want to give freestyle a go

Sounds good, I have twins and I'd prefer to use them. I was thinking of heading up next week to give it a go so keep an eye out for me!

Sounds deadly, I must try to get up before my Decmeber trip to the snow.
    I'm a good piste skier and am starting to ski more off piste but have only ever done small jumps etc in the snow parks so would love a bit of practice before getting on snow this season.

Yea that stuff just hurts.. Where are you off to?

Heading to Westendorf in Austria. Love the place.

Would I be better off with getting bus transfer from Airport to Resort for 150 Euro or renting car for a week for 220 Euro?
    I would kind of love to be free to travel to anywhere and just visit places when I am off snowboarding.

Would I be better off with getting bus transfer from Airport to Resort for 150 Euro or renting car for a week for 220 Euro?
    I would kind of love to be free to travel to anywhere and just visit places when I am off snowboarding.

I'd just get the bus. You're going for a week and the only time you'll be off the slopes is the evenings when you'll be wrecked :p Not really sure where you would go driving to anyway.

There are amazing views to take in while you're on the snow so bring your camera then!

On a related note: I paid €92.80 for bus transfers from Geneva to Val Thorens with Action Outdoors in April this year so that's a crazy price increase if that's what it is now.

Is your transfer not included with the package?

Does the car rental include the price for winter tyres? (not standard last time I rented) your 220 will end up more with that and petrol.

Just checked the site there; I think you're looking at the price to bus all the way from London maybe (£150)? It's £80 (€104) for the airport transfer (Geneva or Grenoble).

Just checked the site there; I think you're looking at the price to bus all the way from London maybe (£150)? It's £80 (€104) for the airport transfer (Geneva or Grenoble).

I wouldn't bother with renting a car , the added stress of driving on alpine roads in snow and ice isn't worth it. Are you sure that quote for rental even covers the fact you are under 25?

It would be worth considering if there was a gang of you to split the costs and you planning hop around different resorts. But you are on a course in one resort , anytime that could be spent on the mountain that you aren't is a waste of your trip, you'll be or at least should be too tired in the evenings to do anything.

You might be able to find a cheaper transfer from one of the other shuttle companies but you'll have to look that up yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement