Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a movie for me!

• 21-10-2015 8:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 123 ✭✭

I like movies that are a tad slower moving than modern movies... something to take me away from the feelings of this short attention spanned iWorld! I think I possibly like a bit of drama mixed with seduction, and maybe a murder thrown in. I don't like too much violence though.

Please don't recommend anything too well known; like 'Basic Instinct' for example, as I'll most likely have already seen it.

Examples of ones I've enjoyed: Bitter Moon, Malice, American Beaty, Unfaithful, One flew over the cookoo's nest, Rope, K-PAX, Mr Brooks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Cutter's Way should fit your bill.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082220/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Lost in translation.
    wow just wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Top of my head here:

Brick- neo-noir with Joseph Gordan Levitt as a teenager

Stoker - one of them cerebral thrillers with a sense of foreboding about a family with secrets

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - intricate spy thriller based on a famous novel

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - "quirky" film about a TV show host who is recruited by the CIA for assassin missions

Blue Ruin - a vagrant returns to his hometown to exact revenge (there is violent though the lead is almost a pacifist reluctant killer)

Gone Baby Gone - two small time private investigators try to solve a case of a missing baby from a family who likely neglected it (see also Mystic River)

Mystery Road - aboriginal Australian cop investigates a local murder

The Pledge - Jack Nicholson is a retired cop who makes one last promise to sole a murder

Predestination - sort of sci-fi thriller but heavy on dialogue scenes with a good story about a cop making sacrifices travelling through time to catch a serial killer

Recent films in past few years:
    Nightcrawler
    Foxcatcher
    Gone Girl
    Argo
    Captain Phillips
    Fruitvale Station
    Cold In July
    Inherent Vice

If you're not adverse to an old/B&W film:
    All About Eve is quite good - obsessive fan of an actress plots against her;
    Sunset Boulevard -agoraphobic former famous actress reflects on her life and wants a change;
    Double Indemnity is a classic noir about a pact made to commit murder for the purpose of an insurance claim;
    Riffi, slow burn heist French film;
    Tokyo Story might be the best "slow film" I've seen - it's a Japanese film about the life of a family wherebthe camera barely moves and there are not many cuts

Hope some of them might be of interest or maybe ring a bell!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This might tickle your fancy:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3661798/

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

The Prestige - pure cinematic masterclass
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 123 ✭✭Do Me Good

Brian? wrote: »
    This might tickle your fancy:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3661798/
    I don't know if I see anything in common between this and my description. Not to mention; there's Chinese people in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Some i've watched lately, that I'd recommend:

Interstellar

Southpaw

Do Me Good wrote: »
    I don't know if I see anything in common between this and my description. Not to mention; there's Chinese people in it.
    There are at least 4 things wrong with this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Untouchables simply cannot be bate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

A tad slower, hhmmmm
    Gerry springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

You'll be wanting:
    Le Boucher
    Diabolique
    Charley Varrick
    Cutter's Way (already mentioned)
    Thunderbolt & Lightfoot
    The Pledge (already mentioned)
    Death Trap (great fun with Caine and Reeve)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I like movies that are a tad slower moving than modern movies... something to take me away from the feelings of this short attention spanned iWorld! I think I possibly like a bit of drama mixed with seduction, and maybe a murder thrown in. I don't like too much violence though.

Please don't recommend anything too well known; like 'Basic Instinct' for example, as I'll most likely have already seen it.

Examples of ones I've enjoyed: Bitter Moon, Malice, American Beaty, Unfaithful, One flew over the cookoo's nest, Rope, K-PAX, Mr Brooks
    I can suggest two films that fit these criteria, both by John Dahl, who seems to have stopped making films. Both are like old style film noir with strong leads and great femme fatales. The two films are The Last Seduction and Red Rock West.

shazzerman wrote: »
    You'll be wanting:
    Le Boucher
    Diabolique
    Watch out there, might be a few too many cheese eating surrender monkeys for the OP. :pac:
    Le Boucher is a great movie though!

e_e wrote: »
    Watch out there, might be a few too many cheese eating surrender monkeys for the OP. :pac:
    Le Boucher is a great movie though!
    Are you Chinese or something?

rednik wrote: »
    Cutter's Way should fit your bill.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082220/
    I'm afraid I didn't take to it. It's definitely slow moving alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

That list of examples all read like films with a kind of sleepy vibe that you'd stick on at around 2am in the night, which I would say is markedly different to slow pacing and also probably not altogether suited to subtitles. Plus I've a general rule that if the person doesn't list some subtitled films in their examples, they probably aren't looking for that bother, nothing wrong with that at all!

With that in mind, The Last Seduction and Red Rock West as mentioned by Telecaster58 are two fantastic suggestions imo.
    Ageyev's selections are pretty damn on point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

One False Move
    A Simple Plan
    The Friends of Eddie Coyle

That list of examples all read like films with a kind of sleepy vibe that you'd stick on at around 2am in the night, which I would say is markedly different to slow pacing and also probably not altogether suited to subtitles
    You're right, it's not necessarily 'slow moving' that I'm after. You must know you're movie Chain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I liked most of those movies you mentioned.

Sling blade
    United states of leyland

Not slow moving as such but just very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysisjames

A couple of suggestions for films I've watched more than once and really enjoyed.

Aaltra
    Barneys Version
    The Phantom of Liberty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Well, I was going to recommend a few films, but after this post....Nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Paris, Texas

I can suggest two films that fit these criteria, both by John Dahl, who seems to have stopped making films. Both are like old style film noir with strong leads and great femme fatales. The two films are The Last Seduction and Red Rock West.
    Thanks,

I watched The Last seduction and really enjoyed it.

However, Red Rock West simply wasn't realistic. Too many coincidences it in. It was very similar to the other though, but the director didn't get it right this time. As soon as I heard the 'let's go to Mexico' part, I just thought it's time to turn it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

See Heat if you haven't already. It has some of the greatest action scenes on film, but it's long, the best word I would have for it is methodical. The leader of the criminal gang (played by Robert de Niro) is methodical to a fault, but there comes a point where he breaks his own rules has to deal with the consequences.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

The latest 2 hour toy commercial by the Disney corporation Is really good.
    Or you could watch Racing extinction instead.

Advertisement