Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease Question

Options
  • 21-10-2015 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Good evening,

Signing a yearly lease for a house in Ranelagh that me and four friends are moving into.

In the lease it states that we have to pay the property tax and stamp duty. I thought this would be the landlords issue.

Am i incorrect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Good evening,

Signing a yearly lease for a house in Ranelagh that me and four friends are moving into.

In the lease it states that we have to pay the property tax and stamp duty. I thought this would be the landlords issue.

Am i incorrect?

Owner/landlord is the liable person for LPT.

Unless rent per annum is very high I do not believe stamp duty is payable. Think it's 30k.

Maybe find the relevant sections on the Revenue website and send them to whoever you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Good evening,

Am i incorrect?

Its an old contract. Stamp Duty used to be paid on a contract. It no longer is the case. I dont its enforceable to get you to pay the LPT if you refuse to pay it.

IMO he sounds like a sly landlord if he is only bringing this up to you at the time of signing a contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Its an old contract. Stamp Duty used to be paid on a contract. It no longer is the case. I dont its enforceable to get you to pay the LPT if you refuse to pay it.

IMO he sounds like a sly landlord if he is only bringing this up to you at the time of signing a contract

LL, is not being sly, just not very bright.

Every tenant in the country is paying the LPT, it's just that in virtually all cases the LLs make the tenant pay by increasing the yearly rent to cover it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

davo10 wrote: »
    LL, is not being sly, just not very bright.

Every tenant in the country is paying the LPT, it's just that in virtually all cases the LLs make the tenant pay by increasing the yearly rent to cover it.

It's sly. It should have been made clear from the onset that any potential tenant had to pay LPT, as it's not the norm. Yes every other landlord includes it in more expensive rent. But that's factored into the price from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

newacc2015 wrote: »
    It's sly. It should have been made clear from the onset that any potential tenant had to pay LPT, as it's not the norm. Yes every other landlord includes it in more expensive rent. But that's factored into the price from the start.

Stamp duty if applicable is always payable by the person taking the property. It is very unlikely landlord would agree to pay it if it does apply.

The property tax clause sounds like a remnant from an old lease. I would just tell the landlord you want to strike it out before signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Owner/landlord is the liable person for LPT.

Unless rent per annum is very high I do not believe stamp duty is payable. Think it's 30k.

Maybe find the relevant sections on the Revenue website and send them to whoever you need to.

Yes it's 30k, according to Citizen's Information, but 30k isn't that much when you're considering a house for 5 people in Ranelagh.

Advertisement