Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nail Lamps

Options
  • 21-10-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Ive bought a few bits to do my own gel manicures at home on myself, the final thing I need to get is the lamp.

Can anyone tell me which is the better option please?

9w LED? Or 36w UV?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

I wouldn't recommend DIY without proper training.
    It looks easy but if you're not very good at doing your dominant hand, you risk becoming allergic through over exposure to the acrylates in the gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Hi, I bought this a few weeks ago and I love it. I disagree that you need formal training - it is literally easy peasy.

LED lamps cure all polishes but UV lamps do not so bear that in mind. Best thing I have ever bought!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

LED bulbs emit UV light.

No, they don't cure all gel polishes but you can't tell just by looking, if it's fully cured. DIY messers and lack of proper certified training is why allergies to acrylates are on the increase.

Just ask any consultant dermatologist.

Sorry MinnieMinx, I think I picked up on this wrong; I am talking about gel polishes as opposed to acrylic based gel nails.

OP, I would 100% recommend buying your own gel polish kit, I don't know anything about gel nails.

Also worth noting LED basically emits tiny/no amount of UV light, and LED light will cure UV gel due to the wavelength absorption spectrum. UV will not cure LED polishes for the same reason; lower absorbance wavelength emitted by UV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's quite funny when clients will come into a salon to have their nails "fixed" that have been ruined by their sister/auntie/cousin/friend who does shellac from their house.

• Advertisement

It's quite funny when clients will come into a salon to have their nails "fixed" that have been ruined by their sister/auntie/cousin/friend who does shellac from their house.

Not entirely sure why you are throwing this scathing comment at me; OP asked a question and I am simply giving my opinion. I do my own, I also do my sister's and my mother's occasionally as a nice way of spending girls time together, and they have never had any problem. Careful application, research and practice. Hardly rocket science. Your condescending tone isn't helpful to OP in any way.

I'm merely stating that from actually being in a salon on a daily basis, a lot of women do actually come in for the professionals to fix their destroyed nails, caused by unprofessional application and removal.

My response directed towards the post that stated it's absolutely fine for somebody to do their own nails, untrained. That's misinformed, and incorrect.
    I've been doing this for 6 odd years and have done hundreds of nails, this year alone. So I think I know what I'm talking about thanks.

I'm merely stating that from actually being in a salon on a daily basis, a lot of women do actually come in for the professionals to fix their destroyed nails, caused by unprofessional application and removal.

My response directed towards the post that stated it's absolutely fine for somebody to do their own nails, untrained. That's misinformed, and incorrect.
    I've been doing this for 6 odd years and have done hundreds of nails, this year alone. So I think I know what I'm talking about thanks.

Did I say it was fine? I said it was easy, I said I love doing my own nails, and I have never experienced any damage to my nails at all having done them for months in a row. I don't doubt you don't know what you're doing, but I do think you are being melodramatic. OP didn't say she was going to set up shop in the middle of a green in a housing estate, she wants to do her own. My kit is Gelish, a well known and reputed brand who are not going to damage their image by putting what is marketed as an "At Home Starter Kit" which isn't safe for use.

I appreciate this is your career and that's fine, but I also cut my own hair. Probably don't do as good a job as a hairdresser who has trained and worked for 20 years would, but I haven't chopped any fingers off yet and I'm happy with my mock job 90% of the time. No malice intended in my post, but I think with some educated research OP (and myself!) can do a decent and safe job with an at-home kit.

Also OP, beware of buying fake products.
    The gelish lamp on its own is 299 euro, and the gelish kit with 4 colours and a lamp is 325. So if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

Thanks for the link Aine92. Much appreciated :) and I agree with you, its not rocket science :)

To the other ladies; thank you for your input; Im not completely untrained; Ive done two nail courses with Astonishing Nails and have received my certs... My full time job is in a completely different sector but Ive always had an interest in nails and so, done these courses before I considered starting to work on my nails or anyone elses. Was just looking for a bit of advise on a lamp was all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement