Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Note Post 7373

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

The two games seems so arbitrary to me. Especially being instructed by a billion dollar business.

What if we win in convincing fashion in game one and have an unlucky game in the other? If his faith is tied to the winning of a single game, he is already dead. The die is cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads will Jose play Mata in Europe or is he cup tied?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

MrMac84 wrote: »

Huh ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

From Reddit (too big to embed)...

https://i.imgur.com/gHshgov.png

When's he back? He seems quite important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

The thoughts of Mourinho taking over actually worries me a lot. He has a young squad at the club and a history of relying on older established players. I just can't see Martial and Depay flourishing under him. We beat LVG with a lot of sticks due to the poor attacking end of our game but I don't see José dramatically improving it.

I'm still onside with LVG but feel the tide has turned with the majority of fans who now want him gone. I believe there is a massively exciting and talented squad of players and really don't see José as a better option to LVG in extracting that talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭larchielads

Think he's takin the mick from when mata signed for utd. José sold him to us in Jan after playin in Europe already. Think that's what hes gettin at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

LVG probably won't be sacked until 4th is mathematically impossible, just like Moyes. So unless he walks, then he's going nowhere imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Wonder would Mourinho keep Giggs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Poor Mata wouldn't be seen!

Just watch Mata score a hattrick in each of the next 2 games to keep Louis in a job!!

I wonder would Jose realistically be the end of Mata or would he get a game. Jose probably won't happen anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Think he's takin the mick from when mata signed for utd. José sold him to us in Jan after playin in Europe already. Think that's what hes gettin at

People forget what a bargain he was, imagine what he'd have been worth if he wasn't cup-tied for our last serious run at that comp, or if Chelsea weren't openly trying to flog him. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Korat wrote: »
    People forget what a bargain he was, imagine what he'd have been worth if he wasn't cup-tied for our last serious run at that comp, or if Chelsea weren't openly trying to flog him. :)

He cost nearly £40 million from a club that openly didn't want him, he was never a bargain.

He also never made a blind bit of difference to our fortunes so I tittered quietly at posts wondering what would happen to Mata if Mourinho came because really, who gives a shit.

• When I think back over the last couple of performances what pisses me off the most is that I get the feeling the players are not getting enough of the blame and it's solely LVG who taking the brunt of it.

It's actually a very similar situation to Mourihnio / Chelsea squad other than the fact LVG hasn't stirred up any controversy during his tenure with Utd (Except the birth of Mike Smalling)

Regardless of what people say about tactics it just feels like the players have also just given up

I wanted it to work out for him but the writing is on the wall. For a man with such a decorated career it's a sad end tbh

• Jones having his say this morning.

Moyes may want to ignore the papers :P

http://www.football365.com/news/phil-jones-it-could-be-worse-moyes-could-be-here?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    When I think back over the last couple of performances what pisses me off the most is that I get the feeling the players are not getting enough of the blame and it's solely LVG who taking the brunt of it.

It's actually a very similar situation to Mourihnio / Chelsea squad other than the fact LVG hasn't stirred up any controversy during his tenure with Utd (Except the birth of Mike Smalling)

Regardless of what people say about tactics it just feels like the players have also just given up

I wanted it to work out for him but the writing is on the wall. For a man with such a decorated career it's a sad end tbh

Its been 18 months of this. If they aren't playing for him now then they were never playing for him, because we haven't played cohesive football since he arrived at the club.

He hasn't lost the players, he simply never used them effectively and was never able to communicate any meaningful "philosophy" to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

The best young defender in Europe was good at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

J. Marston wrote: »
    From Reddit (too big to embed)...

https://i.imgur.com/gHshgov.png

When's he back? He seems quite important.

Hes been on bench last 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Just curious but how can you still be "onside" with LVG? Have you seen our stats ? Also do you have an example where LVG has improved a player in the past 18 months?

te="duffman13;98150389"]The thoughts of Mourinho taking over actually worries me a lot. He has a young squad at the club and a history of relying on older established players. I just can't see Martial and Depay flourishing under him. We beat LVG with a lot of sticks due to the poor attacking end of our game but I don't see José dramatically improving it.

I'm still onside with LVG but feel the tide has turned with the majority of fans who now want him gone. I believe there is a massively exciting and talented squad of players and really don't see José as a better option to LVG in extracting that talent.[/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Coat22 wrote: »
    The best young defender in Europe was good at the weekend

you talking about Jones?

anybody who i was talkin to who was at the game said he was awful and a few papers & sky rated him 4 out of 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

you talking about Jones?

anybody who i was talkin to who was at the game said he was awful and a few papers & sky rated him 4 out of 10.

Didn't think he had the best game at all. It seemed he was caught out of position a lot. His passing as usual was dire.

Maybe he's being sarcastic

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

astradave wrote: »
    Didn't think he had the best game at all. It seemed he was caught out of position a lot. His passing as usual was dire.

Maybe he's being sarcastic

Maybe we should consider the ratings OUR players got against Norwich!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I just can't get people who are delighted to have been proven wrong on LVG.

Really? I mean I wanted O Neill out of Ireland job after Scotland game Pronto. But bloody delighted he turned it around for now.

United fan, hoping United lost, to not hurt your pride can support Real or Barca.

you talking about Jones?

He was lucky to get a 4 - some argument here during the summer with one seasoned poster proclaiming him to be the "best young defender in Europe".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Coat22 wrote: »
    He was lucky to get a 4 - some argument here during the summer with one seasoned poster proclaiming him to be the "best young defender in Europe".

But he is one of the best young defenders. He is only 23 ffs.

At least when trying to get digs in at other posters, at least be man enough to use their name. It's not against any rules.
    It was myself and adamovic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Really? I mean I wanted O Neill out of Ireland job after Scotland game Pronto. But bloody delighted he turned it around for now.

United fan, hoping United lost, to not hurt your pride can support Real or Barca.

Totally agree with ya said it loads times, how can you support a team but wish they loose or as someone else on here once said "i hope rooney gets injured so he wont be played".

Im not saying one fan is better then the other i just cant understand the mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He hasn't lost the players, he simply never used them effectively and was never able to communicate any meaningful "philosophy" to them.

Everything in the mans past has shown that if he doesn't feel he has the players he goes, what do you think has changed in that regard?

It has been mentioned on this thread more then once that at least the players are showing they are playing for him, unlike when Moyes was in charge for example.

I think he has the dressing room still, but I think players confidence is dropping and along with that will go the faith in the manager, its on him to arrest that situation before it makes his position untenable.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Everything in the mans past has shown that if he doesn't feel he has the players he goes, what do you think has changed in that regard?

It has been mentioned on this thread more then once that at least the players are showing they are playing for him, unlike when Moyes was in charge for example.

I think he has the dressing room still, but I think players confidence is dropping and along with that will go the faith in the manager, its on him to arrest that situation before it makes his position untenable.

He's lost the majority of the fans and he's lost the players also.

His time is up . . . I don't think United will delay on this one they way they did on Moyes.

When players come out in support of the manager its really hard to know if its genuine these days! Feckin hate the PR machine, you would like to think De Gea/Jones/whoever are being honest and aware that they are letting themselves down, they are not doing the job on the pitch and often players enjoy the safety blanket of the manager taking all the flak so it would be nice if that was not the case.

They are right of course, everybody at the club needs to stick together, not going to get out of this rut otherwise, and the fans will play their part also as they always do, the away fans in particular.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Alex Meier wrote: »
    He's lost the majority of the fans and he's lost the players also.

His time is up . . . I don't think United will delay on this one they way they did on Moyes.

Hi

Nice to see you bright and early to dole out your gossip/speculation as fact. Don't worry about backing up your claims, wouldn't want to tax the oul brain at this hour.

Gotta be honest though, the post lacked the usual bitterness toward Van Gaal and I am worried you may be running out of steam :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

What about those who have been proven right? And while I still think Van Gaal has brought some degree of stability and professionalism to the squad, I simply cannot get over, nor forgive, some of the downright strange and unprofessional decisions he has made since taking charge e.g. first and foremost forcing Welbeck out of the club, along with bringing in Falcao, and bizarrely believing Daley Blind is integral to a side looking to challenge for top 4, never mind the title. Aside from Wenger, the best manager in the premier league is Pochetinno, and failing landing Guardiola, I'd love if he was approached with the option of taking over at the end of this season.

• Advertisement

epic rant from Andy again -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Forcing Welbeck out. Ah stop.

Probably not a lot, which is why he looks like a man who will soon be gone.

I have always made the distinction between "losing" the players and actually being unable to use or motivate them. I don't think there is any open rebellion at the club like at Chelsea, but neither do I think the players are necessarily playing for him, certainly in 18 months we haven't seen a team of players moving hell and earth to make things work.

Its more like an episode of the Office. The manager is all talk and bluster while in the background players are looking at each other with confused faces and thinking "what the hell am I supposed to be doing here, surely this isn't right...". Awkward silences and then awkward performances follow.

Its all a moot point anyway. Even if we could be 100% sure that every player in the squad adored Van Gaal you simply cannot ignore what is on the field, and after 18 months of training he cannot get that group playing cohesively and effectively. Thats the real measure of a manager, not his popularity with the players.

who is hoping United lose? aint seen anybody doing this, but if youve come across it then ill take your word for it.

i have seen a few lad say the lose would be acceptable if it meant LVG got the sack, however that is a completely different scenario.

But he is one of the best young defenders. He is only 23 ffs.

At least when trying to get digs in at other posters, at least be man enough to use their name. It's not against any rules.
    It was myself and adamovic.

I honestly couldn't remember who it was and couldn't be bothered searching back to find out who said it so apologies for not name checking you.

Jones is Phil Neville Mk II - he'll be a decent defender at a tier II club but he's never going to be a first choice one at United as he's just not up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

One of the little things which have added to the giant snowball of frustration for me is quick free kicks.

I can understand the idea of trying to catch defenders unaware if the ball is played forward. Very often though, it is being played sideways or backwards and it is Utd that are caught unprepared.

Other teams are almost encouraged to commit fouls around the half-way line because instead of sending players forward Utd often take a quick tap sideways, then another pass sideways, then back, then once all the opposition are set in their defensive formation the ball gets played to an isolated forward who plays the ball back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

When players come out in support of the manager its really hard to know if its genuine these days! Feckin hate the PR machine, you would like to think De Gea/Jones/whoever are being honest and aware that they are letting themselves down, they are not doing the job on the pitch and often players enjoy the safety blanket of the manager taking all the flak so it would be nice if that was not the case.

They are right of course, everybody at the club needs to stick together, not going to get out of this rut otherwise, and the fans will play their part also as they always do, the away fans in particular.

**** happens in football though, I know it's nothing similar but sometimes teams just have a bad spell. I played ball at an okay level for a long time, there was one time we had won 4 back to back leagues and in the 5th season we nearly got relegated, nothing changed, no other teams in the league got better players we were all relatively young, under 30. It just didn't click that year.

But this is different, I can not think of ONE performance where you think, wow we actually just played top class ball and blew the opposition away. no one looks like they want the ball in the team and our forwards look like they're being smothered.

I think at this stage he has to go, if nothing else just to give the players some relief and self belief.

With that said the players need to be held accountable as much as LVG. They have missed some god awful chances in recent weeks which sometimes is the difference in a manager keeping or losing his job.

Hi

Nice to see you bright and early to dole out your gossip/speculation as fact. Don't worry about backing up your claims, wouldn't want to tax the oul brain at this hour.

Gotta be honest though, the post lacked the usual bitterness toward Van Gaal and I am worried you may be running out of steam :(

Gossip/speculation. . . :rolleyes:

Bitterness towards Van Gaal? . . . Not at all - He's shown he's not up to the job and some of you still want him.

How many defeats to Bournemouth & Norwich does it take?

Moyes got United to the quarter final of the CL and the semi final of the League Cup . . . Louis is out of both by Xmas. . . . Closer to 12th in the PL [in terms of points] than top.

It's ok. . . . I don't mind educating you.

When players come out in support of the manager its really hard to know if its genuine these days

Players supporting their manager should be a given . . . Players have no business contacting the media to "support their manager"

This is worse than the dreaded vote of confidence from the board.

Hazard came out and supported Mourinho when he was substituted recently. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Have to agree with Meier here, LVG's time is over, he's completely out of his depth. Best to move on now and try to save our season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Well said Kew oul buddy and spot on. If you support the club then you've got to accept the rough with the smooth. If you want instant success feck off and jump ship to Chelsea, city etc etc...

You support your club no matter what. End of.

• Advertisement

• epic rant from Andy again -

Have to laugh at the bit about LVG getting off his arse :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Canadel wrote: »
    What about those who have been proven right? And while I still think Van Gaal has brought some degree of stability and professionalism to the squad, I simply cannot get over, nor forgive, some of the downright strange and unprofessional decisions he has made since taking charge e.g. first and foremost forcing Welbeck out of the club, along with bringing in Falcao, and bizarrely believing Daley Blind is integral to a side looking to challenge for top 4, never mind the title. Aside from Wenger, the best manager in the premier league is Pochetinno, and failing landing Guardiola, I'd love if he was approached with the option of taking over at the end of this season.

Welbeck...really??....REALLY?!

Falcao didn't work out but at the time was worth the punt and no one on here knew how finished he was when he joined.

Daley Blind is a really good player as well, not world class but very good so don't get that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Welbeck...really??....REALLY?!

Falcao didn't work out but at the time was worth the punt and no one on here knew how finished he was when he joined.

Daley Blind is a really good player as well, not world class but very good so don't get that either.
    Really. Didn't work out? That's putting it politely, and I stated at the time to anyone who would listen that it was a shocking decision to force Welbeck out of the club to make room for Falcao. Daley Blind is a decent player playing in a decent team. Mata, Rooney, Martial, Smalling are really good players who are not world class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

really hope we can ship Fellaini out in January. For all the talk about van gaal getting sacked etc, every time I see the him in a utd jersey it just gets worse and worse. Shocking again on Saturday (along with a few others) but he was the worst by a mile of a bad bunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Canadel wrote: »
    Really. Didn't work out? That's putting it politely, and I stated at the time to anyone who would listen that it was a shocking decision to force Welbeck out of the club to make room for Falcao. Daley Blind is a decent player playing in a decent team. Mata, Rooney, Martial, Smalling are really good players who are not world class.

Well that's down to opinion, I rate Blind , you don't. I think he's a really smart player that's reads the game very well and is an asset.

Welbeck is injury prone and useless in front of goal, he was sold on to make way for others and I agree it was the right choice. In saying that , I think Wilson and Adnan should have been stepping in around then.

I stand by the Falcao choice , it was a punt and it didn't work. One Chelsea also took and it hasn't worked out , the man is clearly finished but when we signed him he was a world class player coming off a bad injury.

In saying that , LVG has made some odd and bad choices, he's also made some good one's but highlighting the above wouldn't be on my 'bad' bucket list for him. Be more concerned about the players he signed this season and the treatment of Di Maria/Rooney still playing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

bangkok wrote: »
    really hope we can ship Fellaini out in January. For all the talk about van gaal getting sacked etc, every time I see the him in a utd jersey it just gets worse and worse. Shocking again on Saturday (along with a few others) but he was the worst by a mile of a bad bunch

I'd say without a doubt Rooney, Depay and Jones were worse. I'd say Carrick, Mata were poor also.

But there ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'd say without a doubt Rooney, Depay and Jones were worse. I'd say Carrick, Mata were poor also.

But there ya go.

They all probably had bad games .

Fellaini is just bad full stop .

He looks out of place in a Manchester united team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Time a cull on Rooney, Fellaini & Van Boring is done......

These people have no interest in performing in anyway remotely close to the "United way" & the last few months have shown that.

Money for Nothing they're getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah Bangkok.........

.......like clockwork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

He cost nearly £40 million from a club that openly didn't want him, he was never a bargain.

He also never made a blind bit of difference to our fortunes so I tittered quietly at posts wondering what would happen to Mata if Mourinho came because really, who gives a shit.

You're forgetting he was a luxury player. Just because you don't rate Mata doesn't give you a right to "titter quietly" at others posts on an anonymous message board but whatever floats your boat.

I think Mata played well last season though I'll admit not to his best, also he has 5 goals in 18 games so far this season which is good considering our attacking is so poor (which is down to the entire team playing badly). He didn't change our fortunes as you put it but there's far worse players to have in a team. 10 goals in 35 games last season is not bad going. So I think it's a valid to question what will happen to him if Mourinho were to come in.

I wouldn't like to sacrifice a player or his calibre for the sake of a manager who will be short term and potentially leave a trail of destruction behind.

We're talking in hypotheticals at the moment anyway LvG is still in a job and Mourinho may not even take the job if offered.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement