Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Note Post 7373

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

It's only know I'm really starting to appreciate SAF.

Dont get me wrong even from early age I knew we has soothing good. When he was meant to leave around 2001, I was gutted. But now I realise he was just supreme individual.

only now?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Coat22 wrote: »

Ill just never understand why people create fake twitter accounts like this one to try get a few retweets sad little people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

SAF is also part of the reason we're in this mess.

- Underinvestment in players.

- Buying average players for the last 3 or 4 years of his reign.

- Allowing the squad to age together so that 3 or the back 4 needed replacement at the same time.

- Selecting Moyes

sky88 wrote: »
    Ill just never understand why people create fake twitter accounts like this one to try get a few retweets sad little people

Probably because its funny???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

worst still, people going to the bother of making fake tweets and them copying them into the real accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Ok did this thread just get me excited for no reason? :(:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I don't think anything is going to happen this week, not until after the Stoke game anyway.

Stand down lads...stand down.

py2006 wrote: »
    Ok did this thread just get me excited for no reason? :(:o

almost everybody is expecting him to be sacked today, i think he will be our manager into the weekend at least.

after that, he is a dead man walking i think unless we have two super results against Stoke and Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Yep, I'm now officially old.

I've no idea what you're not understanding. :o

• Advertisement

- Allowing the squad to age together so that 3 or the back 4 needed replacement at the same time.

- Selecting Moyes

Hilarious.

Average players? RVP the best striker in the league, Kagawa one of the best players in German league, Zaha and Powell 2 of the best young English players at that time, season before that de gea, now the best keeper in the world, phil jones highest rated young defender in England at the time, Ashley young signed that season as well. Before that Chris Smalling now the best centre back in England, hernandez one of the best signings of the summer.

He had Rafael Jones Smalling already there and shaw would have been signed anyway so I don't know how you can say 3 or 4 needed replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Apparently Ryan Giggs is going to be appointed and not Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Alex Meier wrote: »

source?

well thats what i am expecting, temporarily.

Giggs takes over short term and then somebody comes in. IF, we give Giggs until end of season then its nailed on we are getting Pep IMO.

if would be an absolute disgrace if Giggs got the permanent job, but given everything thats gone on in recent years, would anybody be surprised if it happend?

well thats what i am expecting, temporarily.

Giggs takes over short term and then somebody comes in. IF, we give Giggs until end of season then its nailed on we are getting Pep IMO.

Hasn't Pep already said he was going to City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

My God are people still sprouting this nonsense?

Are people still completely clueless?

I've heard it all now

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    Hilarious.

Average players? RVP the best striker in the league, Kagawa one of the best players in German league, Zaha and Powell 2 of the best young English players at that time, season before that de gea, now the best keeper in the world, phil jones highest rated young defender in England at the time, Ashley young signed that season as well. Before that Chris Smalling now the best centre back in England, hernandez one of the best signings of the summer.

He had Rafael Jones Smalling already there and shaw would have been signed anyway so I don't know how you can say 3 or 4 needed replacement

RVP & De Gea the only success in that lot.

Kagawa didn't set the world on fire. Zaha and Powell - LOL - they did?

Jones - don't get me going. Smalling - coming good in 2015 but jury still out for me, no way in hell he's the best CB in England.

Chico - bought in 2010.

The back 4 he left Moyes was Rafael / Vidic /Rio / Evra - 3 of those needed replacement and the 4th was johnny average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Any source or were you in carrington today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

py2006 wrote: »
    Hasn't Pep already said he was going to City?

source?

he just said he is leaving his current post.

German media have already stated that Pep is going to Manchester City.

I'd say that's a done deal.

idnkph wrote: »
    source?

he just said he is leaving his current post.

Not sure, it was mentioned earlier. Did he not say it over weekend on German TV?

• Advertisement

RVP & De Gea the only success in that lot.

Kagawa didn't set the world on fire. Zaha and Powell - LOL - they did?

Jones - don't get me going. Smalling - coming good in 2015 but jury still out for me, no way in hell he's the best CB in England.

Chico - bought in 2010.

The back 4 he left Moyes was Rafael / Vidic /Rio / Evra - 3 of those needed replacement and the 4th was johnny average

where was smalling, jones, buttner did he not leave them as well? Jury still out on smalling?? stop

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Tyson Fury wrote: »

I've heard it all now

We only had one good midfielder when he left.

- Selecting Moyes

All true but not all Fergie's fault. There was chronic underinvestment until Moyes put the Glazer debt repayment plan in jeopardy.

The tipping point of player aquisition came when we spent £40m on Berba and let Tevez go. It grates even thinking about it now.

The defence was set with Evans, Smalling and Jones. Who could predict how bad they'd turn out to be?

Ancelotti and Klopp were already contracted, Guardiola wasn't interested and the club hierachy didn't want Mourinho... sounds familiar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

And what sources say it's Giggs and not Mourinho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Any source on this?

Tyson Fury wrote: »

I've heard it all now

its not nonsense at all, Fergie said that he left a squad that would dominate for years, withing 2 summers 25 players left the club.

the "success" from 11-13 was based off some sensational individual seasons from Nani, Rooney, RVP and a solid base of VDS, Evra, Rio and Vidic. only one of them was at the club, within 2 years of Fergie retiring.

there is no youth coming through.

weve had to spend £330m since he left and still needs another £200m

he left us with a squad that as many people on here would say was "full of deadwood".

Fergie was unbelievable, but lets not ingore some failings in the last 4 or 5 years of his career also.

where was smalling, jones, buttner did he not leave them as well? Jury still out on smalling?? stop

Will ya stop it now - you trying to suggest to me that when Ferguson left Jones / Smalling and Buttner were some sort of viable alternative???

Smalling has looked very average during the recent run and its no coincidence Schneoderin hasn't been playing.

Credit where its due, he's come on miles in the last 12 months but you still arguing he's the best CB in England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Big challenge for him.
    God knows how he'll turn that ship around and get it pointed in the right direction.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Smalling has looked very average during the recent run and its no coincidence Schneoderin hasn't been playing.

Lol no he hasn't.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Lol no he hasn't.

LOL - yes he has

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Any source on this?

Jan Fjortoft

nullzero wrote: »
    Big challenge for him.
    God knows how he'll turn that ship around and get it pointed in the right direction.

How will Fergie feel if Pep takes up with the noisy neighbours?

That's the last time Pep will get use of Fergies apartment in Manhattan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

German media can say what they want. Pep has told nobody what his intentions are. Honigstein was on second Captains today saying that 3 good sources in Munich gave him three different answers to where Pep is going.
    He may go to City, but it's unlikely anything will be announced while Pelligrini is still there and he's still at Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's more to do with the fact that there has only been one deep midfielder in that period. Different full backs/CB partners every game doesn't help. Schneiderlin hasn't been up to much when played this season imo.

I wanted Smalling out, but he's done the business this season and towards the end of last.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Lol no he hasn't.

in fairness, SMalling has been way below his early season form in the last few games.

very poor against Wolfsburg for example, then got injured which could be effecting him of course.

German media can say what they want. Pep has told nobody what his intentions are. Honigstein was on second Captains today saying that 3 good sources in Munich gave him three different answers to where Pep is going.
    He may go to City, but it's unlikely anything will be announced while Pelligrini is still there and he's still at Munich.

If United are going to replace Van Gaal then they're hardly going to offer the new guy a job until the summer.

I can't see Giggs taking up another stand in job.

Will ya stop it now - you trying to suggest to me that when Ferguson left Jones / Smalling and Buttner were some sort of viable alternative???

Credit where its due, he's come on miles in the last 12 months but you still arguing he's the best CB in England?

since ferguson left the team we could have fielded on Saturday but didn't due to poor management was

de gea

Rafael
    Jones
    Smalling
    Evans

Nani
    Carrick
    Schneiderlain
    Depay

Hernandez
    Martial

But no, we sold Rafael, Evans, Nani, Hernandez and they were not replaced.

If Fergie was still in charge Rooney would have been sold 2 years ago and there was a good chance Ronaldo would have been at United. all ifs and buts I know

Since fergie left, we had the summer he left, the following Jan, the summer again to fix the issues of the squad and its nearly as bad as its ever been.

Smalling maybe looked average to you as he has had Verela, Blind, Ashley young, borthwith-Jackson all playing around him and fellaini ahead of him in some games, but over all Smalling has been the standout centre back this season.

Fergie left a good squad that was a signing or 2 away from regaining the prem league again but a poor transfer summer, fellaini signing on the final hour of deadline day for 4m more than he should of cost was a disaster

Jan Fjortoft

Ah right, them tweets were posted on the last page or 2.. he doesn't say that Giggs is going to be permanent manager either. How would he have that much insight into who is taking over?

He is leaving himself open for interpretation too.. if giggs takes over permanently he can say he was ITK but if he only takes over as Caretaker until someone like Mourinho or Pep come in he can say that he was effectively correct.

Throw enough **** at the wall and some will stick, yadda yadda yadda

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Liam O wrote: »
    It's more to do with the fact that there has only been one deep midfielder in that period. Different full backs/CB partners every game doesn't help. Schneiderlin hasn't been up to much when played this season imo.

I wanted Smalling out, but he's done the business this season and towards the end of last.

Schneiderlin didn't play against Norwich, Bournemouth, Wolsburg (a), Arsenal or PSV(a). Do you see any correlation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Fergie didn't leave a bad squad, but he did leave a team with a massive gaping hole in the middle of the field that by itself dragged down every area of the team.

He left plenty of good players that with good management could still be performing well for the club today, but good management is something that has been lacking since Fergie went so here we are.

astradave wrote: »
    Ah right, them tweets were posted on the last page or 2.. he doesn't say that Giggs is going to be permanent manager either. How would he have that much insight into who is taking over?

He is leaving himself open for interpretation too.. if giggs takes over permanently he can say he was ITK but if he only takes over as Caretaker until someone like Mourinho or Pep come in he can say that he was effectively correct.

Throw enough **** at the wall and some will stick, yadda yadda yadda

Fair enough. He's very well connected due to his media work [which is predominantly done in Germany]

He has the courage to post what he has heard and he's just passing on information.

It's up to the individual to decide for themselves thereafter.

since ferguson left the team we could have fielded on Saturday but didn't due to poor management was

de gea

Rafael
    Jones
    Smalling
    Evans

Nani
    Carrick
    Schneiderlain
    Depay

Hernandez
    Martial

But no, we sold Rafael, Evans, Nani, Hernandez and they were not replaced.

If Fergie was still in charge Rooney would have been sold 2 years ago and there was a good chance Ronaldo would have been at United. all ifs and buts I know

Since fergie left, we had the summer he left, the following Jan, the summer again to fix the issues of the squad and its nearly as bad as its ever been.

Smalling maybe looked average to you as he has had Verela, Blind, Ashley young, borthwith-Jackson all playing around him and fellaini ahead of him in some games, but over all Smalling has been the standout centre back this season.

Fergie left a good squad that was a signing or 2 away from regaining the prem league again but a poor transfer summer, fellaini signing on the final hour of deadline day for 4m more than he should of cost was a disaster

Well Rafael was replaced with Darmain who everyone loved only a couple of months back.

Complaining that Evans was sold is really bizarre. Even McNair was ahead of him in the pecking order.

Nani - people either love him or don't rate him. I belong to the latter but lets not go there.

Hernandez - I agree we should have kept.

If we currently had that back 4 you're suggesting above we'd be fighting with Chelsea for the mid table obscurity by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads

I’m stuck in a rut here trying to get my head around what we should be doing.

Should we appoint
    1 – Ryan Giggs – no managerial experience, no track record, learn nothing from how we fell off after Matt Busby and slide away for 20+ years..
    2 – Jose Mourinho – proven manager, poor style of play, likely to leave within 3 to 4 years, not a man to bring through youth team players, caustic relationship with the media
    3 – Pep Guardiola – proven manager, exciting flowing football, never built a team, always takes successful teams to the next level, will leave within 3 to 4 years
    4 – AN other – not sure what other options there are.

Or do we

Retain Van Gaal – keep playing poor football, slide further away from the pack, put another investment of money into the squad in which is unbalanced and lack in leadership..

I really don’t know what the next step should be as there’s as many question marks hanging over each proposed candidate as there are positive factors..

Fair enough. He's very well connected due to his media work [which is predominantly done in Germany]

He has the courage to post what he has heard and he's just passing on information.

It's up to the individual to decide for themselves thereafter.

Just looking at his twitter there he is basically saying that Giggs for Permanent manager is what he was told. Kevin Palmer of the Sunday World told him that word over in England is that Mourinho is in talks to take over and his reply was that well he basically didn't even know that Mourinho was available now. Palmer referred him mourinho's statement basically saying he wants to get straight back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

brinty wrote: »
    Lads

I’m stuck in a rut here trying to get my head around what we should be doing.

Should we appoint
    1 – Ryan Giggs – no managerial experience, no track record, learn nothing from how we fell off after Matt Busby and slide away for 20+ years..
    2 – Jose Mourinho – proven manager, poor style of play, likely to leave within 3 to 4 years, not a man to bring through youth team players, caustic relationship with the media
    3 – Pep Guardiola – proven manager, exciting flowing football, never built a team, always takes successful teams to the next level, will leave within 3 to 4 years
    4 – AN other – not sure what other options there are.

Or do we

Retain Van Gaal – keep playing poor football, slide further away from the pack, put another investment of money into the squad in which is unbalanced and lack in leadership..

I really don’t know what the next step should be as there’s as many question marks hanging over each proposed candidate as there are positive factors..

i dont think Giggs is ready for the long term yet.
    Would hate to see Maureen given the job. He leaves a trail of destruction everywhere he goes. Players always end up turning on him.
    Pep for me is the best by a long mile. He will take us to the next level, he will attract world class players and he will deliver good exciting football.

VG has to go. Philosophies dont win football matches, Tactics do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I really do think the Mourinho "trail of poison" thing is way overblown. The trail of destruction comprises exactly 2 clubs, one of which is the farce that is Real Madrid. He didn't destroy Inter, he made them winners, he should never have been sacked at Chelsea first time round and he left Porto at the right time.

And even at Chelsea the 2nd time he left them as champions. He isn't toxic, not by a long shot.

If the King of Saudi Arabia bought Utd tomorrow and decided he wanted to put the emirates in their place there isn't a person at the club who could say they've proven their worth in the last two years and couldn't be replaced overnight with someone better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I really do think the Mourinho "trail of poison" thing is way overblown. The trail of destruction comprises exactly 2 clubs, one of which is the farce that is Real Madrid. He didn't destroy Inter, he made them winners, he should never have been sacked at Chelsea first time round and he left Porto at the right time.

And even at Chelsea the 2nd time he left them as champions. He isn't toxic, not by a long shot.

He has moments (eye poking, the Eva situation), but otherwise, yeah. He left Real and Chelsea (twice) amid some controversy....what manager doesn't leave those two teams in controversy though?

Meanwhile, someone a few pages threw doubt on the importance of Schneiderlin, but...

http://i.imgur.com/gHshgov.png

Games played with him: 9 games - 6 wins, 3 draws, 0 losses.
    Games played without him: 8 games - 2 wins, 2 draws, 4 losses.

He's probably one of my favorite signings this season, and hope Jose could do wonders with him.

Korat wrote: »
    If the King of Saudi Arabia bought Utd tomorrow and decided he wanted to put the emirates in their place there isn't a person at the club who could say they've proven their worth in the last two years and couldn't be replaced overnight with someone better.

De Gea and the lad who runs the megastore - never ceases to amze me just how good that thing is at sucking in the cash
    :)

Lord TSC wrote: »
    He has moments (eye poking, the Eva situation), but otherwise, yeah. He left Real and Chelsea (twice) amid some controversy....what manager doesn't leave those two teams in controversy though?

Meanwhile, someone a few pages threw doubt on the importance of Schneiderlin, but...

http://i.imgur.com/gHshgov.png

Games played with him: 9 games - 6 wins, 3 draws, 0 losses.
    Games played without him: 8 games - 2 wins, 2 draws, 4 losses.

He's probably one of my favorite signings this season, and hope Jose could do wonders with him.

I think Shcneiderlin is a bit like Carrick was at the start. Doesn't really stand out because he does nothing flash but when he's not there all of a sudden its a case of "what the hell has gone wrong here?"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement