Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Note Post 7373

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

brinty wrote: »
    Lads

I’m stuck in a rut here trying to get my head around what we should be doing.

Should we appoint
    1 – Ryan Giggs – no managerial experience, no track record, learn nothing from how we fell off after Matt Busby and slide away for 20+ years..
    2 – Jose Mourinho – proven manager, poor style of play, likely to leave within 3 to 4 years, not a man to bring through youth team players, caustic relationship with the media
    3 – Pep Guardiola – proven manager, exciting flowing football, never built a team, always takes successful teams to the next level, will leave within 3 to 4 years
    4 – AN other – not sure what other options there are.

Or do we

Retain Van Gaal – keep playing poor football, slide further away from the pack, put another investment of money into the squad in which is unbalanced and lack in leadership..

I really don’t know what the next step should be as there’s as many question marks hanging over each proposed candidate as there are positive factors..

Great post and a decent summary of my thoughts on the four primary possibilities. We are going backwards at a rate of noughts with LVG in charge. I'd have argued that he had steadied the ship, but the displays (and results) over the last 6 games have been terrible. I don't have any faith in him, and anytime he opens his mouth I consider screaming. In short, he should go (today if at all possible).

I'm a big fan of Giggs, as a player. He's done nothing as a manager or a coach to suggest he should get the job.

Pep is the superstar a lot of people want, but I get the impression that City will be his destination, and unless we do a deal with him in the next few weeks, we'll only be a bargaining chip in his dealings with City.

Jose reminds me of Cantona. He's clearly a pain in the a**e but he's also one of the most successful managers in world football. Cantona had a number of clubs before United, and from recollection fell out with most of them. Best case scenario with Mourinho is that he falls in love with the place, the players respond to him, he stays for seven or eight years, and we win (a lot of) trophies. Worst case is he wastes a load of money on players, falls out with everyone, and leaves after three years. He will still win a lot of trophies.

I'd sign him up today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If we sign Jose, as looks likely now, who do you think he'd want to sign and who'd be realistic?

Stones seems obvious; he was after him at Chelsea, and we've been linked heavily.

Pogba seems another with similar links but is that unrealistic?

Would think he'd want a Willian-like player for the right wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

astradave wrote: »
    Just looking at his twitter there he is basically saying that Giggs for Permanent manager is what he was told. Kevin Palmer of the Sunday World told him that word over in England is that Mourinho is in talks to take over and his reply was that well he basically didn't even know that Mourinho was available now. Palmer referred him mourinho's statement basically saying he wants to get straight back in.

I hope it's true.

I hope Mourinho gets the job.

Previous comments from Charlton and Ferguson suggest that he won't though. . . and they're on the Board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Alex Meier wrote: »
    I hope it's true.

Previous comments from Charlton and Ferguson suggest that he won't though. . . and they're on the Board.

They are both non voting executives, looking at Bobby giving Rooney his 500 appearance trophy there the weekend, he really looked like he is starting to lose it a bit. Sad to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If we sign Jose, as looks likely now, who do you think he'd want to sign and who'd be realistic?

Stones seems obvious; he was after him at Chelsea, and we've been linked heavily.

I'd say Mane would continue to be a target for the right. He seems a bit more gettable now as Southampton aren't really doing much this year.

Stones is the obvious one alright and Jose is supposed to be a big admirer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Probably bring in Drogba and Frank Lampard:)

• Hloy ****....10+ pages

What happened!?

On mobile at moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hloy ****....10+ pages

What happened!?

On mobile at moment

Nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hloy ****....10+ pages

What happened!?

On mobile at moment

Nothing really. Maybe a few more rumours popping up but nothing concrete from any source as far as I can tell. Same as it was last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Coat22 wrote: »
    I think Shcneiderlin is a bit like Carrick was at the start. Doesn't really stand out because he does nothing flash but when he's not there all of a sudden its a case of "what the hell has gone wrong here?"

Somebody should tell Van Gaal this, its him that keeps dropping him to the bench.

• Advertisement

I really don't see LvG going before the end of the season, or possibly at a similar time to Moyes if he drops out of the top 4.

For me at the moment it's impossible to see Utd making the top 4 if things keep going as they are. You can't do it without scoring goals. And the defence has started to leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Somebody should tell Van Gaal this, its him that keeps dropping him to the bench.

Isn't he injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Isn't he injured?

On the bench on Saturday so sideshow bob could play alongside Carrick

I really don't see LvG going before the end of the season, or possibly at a similar time to Moyes if he drops out of the top 4.

He'll be gone by the end of the season.

Could be after Stoke. . . He could limp on for another month or so until some seriously bad result comes along.

In the end Van Gaal may decide to call it quits himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the amount of Jose reports as approaching a "done deal" is now incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

the amount of Jose reports as approaching a "done deal" is now incredible.

Any reliable? If confirmed in this week, would be interesting to see game against Chelsea.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Any reliable? If confirmed in this week, would be interesting to see game against Chelsea.

not really, alot of them would be secondary sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Meanwhile, someone a few pages threw doubt on the importance of Schneiderlin, but...

http://i.imgur.com/gHshgov.png

Games played with him: 9 games - 6 wins, 3 draws, 0 losses.
    Games played without him: 8 games - 2 wins, 2 draws, 4 losses.

He's probably one of my favorite signings this season, and hope Jose could do wonders with him.

Something wrong with those numbers, he's started 10 games in the league and 3 in the CL. Edit: He started and played 70 minutes of the loss against Swansea. Somebody has been massaging the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Also on bench against Bournemouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Pro. F wrote: »
    Something wrong with those numbers, he's started 10 games in the league and 3 in the CL. Edit: He started and played 70 minutes of the loss against Swansea. Somebody has been massaging the numbers.

It says at the bottom that it only counts games where he played 90 mins although the stats are still skewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Stones, Kane or Benzema & that chap from Leicester ripping up the league on the wing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

billyhead wrote: »
    Stones, Kane or Benzema & that chap from Leicester ripping up the league on the wing

Mahrez? He's said today he isn't going anywhere. Obviously, money talks, but I think it'll be summer before they let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

I hope it's true.

Fergie is a huge Mourhino fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Maybe Chelsea will take Mata back :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Isn't he injured?
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Also on bench against Bournemouth.

Nine games this season he started on the bench, an unused sub in eight of them.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Fergie is a huge Mourhino fan.

Such a fan that he gave the job to Moyes over Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

After a few days debating it I would sack him and appoint Mourinho. I would love to see LVG do well but at this point I can't see it happening, he is still fully behind his philosophy.

To prevent a slide into a potential decline I think UTD need to win the title or at least come very close in the next year or two. I think with Mourinho we would get that and I would accept all the circus that goes with Mourinho in the short term. Giggs could stay in for a year or so and then go off and prove himself to put himself into contention to be next in 2/3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Depends on which story you believe.

I really don't like Mourinho, if I said what I thought of him I'd be banned but the more I think of it, the more I feel we could be genuinely back in the title race come the last few weeks.

You said previous comments from Ferguson would suggest that he won't be in favour of appointing him, or intimated that at least. I pointed out that Ferguson is a huge fan of Mourhino.

Whatever happens in the past doesn't dictate what will happen with the next appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I really don't like Mourinho, if I said what I thought of him I'd be banned but the more I think of it, the more I feel we could be genuinely back in the title race come the last few weeks.

Exactly - especially with a signing in Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Korat wrote: »
    If the King of Saudi Arabia bought Utd tomorrow and decided he wanted to put the emirates in their place there isn't a person at the club who could say they've proven their worth in the last two years and couldn't be replaced overnight with someone better.

Smalling and degea say hello

do you think this group of players can make back a 9 point difference?

Do you think Leicester will be the team to be ahead of in May?

Just imagine the derby games 😂 and the pool matches... sign mourinho up should be hilarious the burn everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Can see Van Gaal resigning if I'm honest. I'd say he would be the sort that gets the picture and he might just pack it in.

Thought it was very sad to hear him correct himself to say how he "was" a good manager. Such a pivotal figure in European management. Would have been fitting for him to finish on a high.

Pulling the trigger on him(having calmed down from the weekend) still feels premature at this point. I don't think we have seen the proper ruthless van gaal. Might still happen and ignite the squad.

Regardless of what happens, he cleared the squad of a lot of ****, got us back into CL and while plenty of signings arnt firing right now, there was plenty of good signings made IMO.

For his sake he must be throwing holy water on Schneiderlan to get him fit. He's been excellent since arriving and shores us up massively. If I have to see Carrick again in DM I'm going to ****ing lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I think under the right management with less rigidity and more attacking play we could easily overturn a nine point deficit on Leicester.
    A 9 point deficit on Citeh or Arsenal, I'd not have much hope, but stranger things have happened.
    Leicester will hit a ticky patch and if one or both of Mahrez and vardy get injured they're well and truly goosed..

Do you think Leicester will be the team to be ahead of in May?

thats irrelevent, we have to make up 9 points to pass them out, as things are going they could be 12, 15+ points ahead of us before we get our act in gear.

they look fantastic, as we are sliding down the table on the worst run of results in 27 years. not saying they will win the title, the probably wont but we dont look like a team that will even catch them right now, let alone then improve enough to also pass out City and Arsenal.

right now our title "challenge" is over IMO, alot can change but we are playing nowhere near well enough to even be considered for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Mourinho will not get in to talks with us while Van Gaal is still the manager, will only commit to talks when the job is vacated..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

TheDoc wrote: »
    Can see Van Gaal resigning if I'm honest. I'd say he would be the sort that gets the picture and he might just pack it in.

Thought it was very sad to hear him correct himself to say how he "was" a good manager. Such a pivotal figure in European management. Would have been fitting for him to finish on a high.

Pulling the trigger on him(having calmed down from the weekend) still feels premature at this point. I don't think we have seen the proper ruthless van gaal. Might still happen and ignite the squad.

LVG tends to speak quite plainly and bluntly and he knows how things go. He knows there is no defence he can offer that the media will not attempt to attack and mock. The only way to hold on to his job is to win and keep winning. He *might* resign if he thinks he has lost the backing of the club, but I think he is still convinced he knows what he is doing.

I think its down to LVG and the club to sort out. There is clearly a very bad run of results over the past 10 games or so and no club is going to sit on its hands in that situation. If LVG can clearly identify the problem and outline the solution to the clubs satisfaction, then I would give him another transfer window to put things to rights. If he cant explain the problem or the solution to his mind, then he ought to go.

The alternative for the next 6 months is Giggs, or Mourinho. Replacing a proven manager with an unproven trainee who was part and parcel of the failing regime would be madness. If Giggs had the answers, or could motivate the squad to better performances why isn't he doing it today? Mourinho is certainly one of the best managers of the age but if Van Gaal is heavily criticised for boring, defensive football then Mourinho is not the answer.

• Advertisement

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Mourinho will not get in to talks with us while Van Gaal is still the manager, will only commit to talks when the job is vacated..

How do you know that? If he is approached and told that Van Gaal will be leaving then I wouldn't be sure he wouldn't enter negotiations.

Anyway there are some reports that he has gone back to Portugal to be with his family and his father is quite ill.

I keep feeling sorry for van gaal then remembering the terrible football we are playing under him. He just seems to restrict the players to no end terrible really such a shame his philosophy is a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

It's only know I'm really starting to appreciate SAF.

Dont get me wrong even from early age I knew we has soothing good. When he was meant to leave around 2001, I was gutted. But now I realise he was just supreme individual.
    The greatest of them all! I was born in 1991 so he WAS Manchester United for me growing up..

As a club we are still lost without him unfortunately :(

thats irrelevent, we have to make up 9 points to pass them out, as things are going they could be 12, 15+ points ahead of us before we get our act in gear.

they look fantastic, as we are sliding down the table on the worst run of results in 27 years. not saying they will win the title, the probably wont but we dont look like a team that will even catch them right now, let alone then improve enough to also pass out City and Arsenal.

right now our title "challenge" is over IMO, alot can change but we are playing nowhere near well enough to even be considered for the title.

Leicester will drop off. We still have to play them at OT. Obviously we can't let them get any further ahead but I wouldn't see it as a monumental task, with a new manager in immediately and a good January window there's a decent chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

adox wrote: »
    How do you know that? If he is approached and told that Van Gaal will be leaving then I wouldn't be sure he wouldn't enter negotiations.

Anyway there are some reports that he has gone back to Portugal to be with his family and his father is quite ill.

They are good friends and go back along way.. Will not try to undermine Van Gaals job..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Leicester will drop off. We still have to play them at OT. Obviously we can't let them get any further ahead but I wouldn't see it as a monumental task, with a new manager in immediately and a good January window there's a decent chance.

That used to mean something but not anymore.

The Stoke match will be the most watched Man U game in a while. . . Awful place to have to go for a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Mata must be bricking it. Jose to send him packing for a second time.

Everyone thinking negative of jose all you have to do is forget the drama and remember his porto days, chelsea first stint, inter milan and early real days. Without a shadow of a doubt a world class manager i think he could be amazing for us.

And before gives van gaals stats he is past it imo completely out of ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Forget the drama?

The drama has literally always been there, always been part of him even back to Porto! He has gotten worse lately, nastier in his spell at Madrid and Cheslea mark II but he has always been much the same tbh. Its just his personality.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement