Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Note Post 7373

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Look, theres only a few world class managers around who would be available. Anchelotti is going to Munich we know.
    Then there is Jose, Pep.
    I cant see Utd wanting anyone else.
    Pep surely has City lined up so it makes it an obvious choice to get Jose.
    Utd need a manager that has proven he can win things.
    A risk in giving it to Giggs should not be considered now. Let him take another job and see can he prove himself at lower team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I know it goes against perceived wisdom but I’m not sure Guardiola would be a success in the PL.

I’m following the crowd a bit in placing him as first preference, I’d also hate to see him do well at City.

Mourinho is a proven winner in the PL, despite his recent problems at Chelsea. If LVG have taught us anything it’s that what works on the continent doesn’t necessarily translate to success in the PL.

Utd can't afford another dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Everyone thinking negative of jose all you have to do is forget the drama and remember his porto days, chelsea first stint, inter milan and early real days. Without a shadow of a doubt a world class manager i think he could be amazing for us.

I don't doubt his ability. There is a good chance he would get Utd winning again, but I just dislike him, his antics, his interviews and everything that goes on around him. And as Utd manager I'd have no chance of ignoring him.
    I know I'm almost alone on this but success isn't everything. I'd prefer to win one trophy without Jose then four with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I'd prefer to win one trophy without Jose then four with him.

Right...... Why are we looking for a manager again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Right...... Why are we looking for a manager again?

And why do we support Man Utd again...?

And we are not looking for a new manager just yet. God I hate this managerial merry go round, lets go get the next most succesful manager who is available, repeat ad nauseam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

And we are not looking for a new manager just yet. God I hate this managerial merry go round, lets go get the next most succesful manager who is available, repeat ad nauseam.

There is no merry go round of managers we have not and will not replace sir alex the way you want to those days are gone football has changed. We need to get best man for job, moyes was a failure and van gaal is full of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/BumperGraham/status/679039984888848384

scott howard:@BumperGraham hey any chance of man Utd signing pep??

Graham Hunter: Not while they say they don't fancy him, no

Ron Atkinson was a nice guy, before he went all racist, and had a better record than Moyes or LVG but Bobby Charlton had no problem backing Fergie, despite his flaws, after 20 years of being a cup team.

Do we wait another 20 years to appoint a winning coach rather than someone everyone likes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Just looking at the arsenal city game tonight, when you see both managers getting up to give orders to the players, to adjust tactics, in comparison to van gaal who sits there for 90mins, makes a few notes and then after the game is over telling the players what they did wrong. I think he was correct when he said he "was" a good manager, I think the premier league came to late in his career and he is now past it. He should have retired and gone out at the top with Holland. I think it will be inevitable he is going to get sacked which will be sad for him and Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Korat wrote: »
    Ron Atkinson was a nice guy, before he went all racist, and had a better record than Moyes or LVG but Bobby Charlton had no problem backing Fergie, despite his flaws, after 20 years of being a cup team.

Do we wait another 20 years to appoint a winning coach rather than someone everyone likes?

What flaws had fergie got before he joined United?

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    What flaws had fergie got before he joined United?

He's got a few biographies, even his version of events should fill you in.

The big reservation the media had was the interview he gave after the cup final with Aberdeen, it's on Youtube probably.

In an era without the same constant media attention he attracted plenty of controversy. I can only imagine what would have been picked up if some teenager was following him around with a camera phone in the '80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ducker in the Times on United under LvG : "when they attack they cannot defend, when they defend they cannot attack"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He's got a few biographies, even his version of events should fill you in.

The big reservation the media had was the interview he gave after the cup final with Aberdeen, it's on Youtube probably.

In an era without the same constant media attention he attracted plenty of controversy. I can only imagine what would have been picked up if some teenager was following him around with a camera phone in the '80s.

The interview where he gave out about his team's performance after they'd just won the cup, saying it wasn't acceptable and so on? Meh. Nothing like Jose and his eye gouging and whirlwinds of infighting.

zerks wrote: »
    Ducker in the Times on United under LvG : "when they attack they cannot defend, when they defend they cannot attack"

I've been saying it for a while. LVG still hasn't managed to find the balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pro. F wrote: »
    I've been saying it for a while. LVG still hasn't managed to find the balance.

It was so noticeable against Norwich,at one stage we had 4 players in their penalty area and everyone else was so far back you couldn't even see them on screen.There was a gaping hole that Norwich used time and again to flood into.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Nothing like Jose and his eye gouging and whirlwinds of infighting.

Brian Clough punched one of his own fans who invaded the pitch, it's only remembered because the tv cameras caught it.

I loved for Fergie for his combative nature, just like Roy Keane. The sanitisation of the past grinds my gears though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

zerks wrote:

Spot on. This is a massive issue and as long as it isn't fixed our best bet is to keep tight at the back and hope for the best attacking wise.

Utd at their best could draw teams into their half and rely on the defence to match the opposition one for one then break and within a pass or two create a chance for a striker to finish.

That seems a long time ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Atkinson was no racist . . . He did more for black players at WBA when no one else would even consider playing them.

Of course he came out with a stupid comment which the PR brigade never forgave him for and he was made an example of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

*PC

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

*PC

I'm tired. . . ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ron was a Legend off the pitch in many ways if stories about him are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Is there any strong links of Pep to City? Aside from bookies making him favourite I haven't seen a reliable source. Seems odds we wouldn't be interested.

Just the Barca connections, the type of club he tends to pick and the fact that they will probably be changing manager at the end of the season as Pellegrini does not seem to be able to take them any further.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Alex Meier wrote: »
    Atkinson was no racist . . . He did more for black players at WBA when no one else would even consider playing them.

Of course he came out with a stupid comment which the PR brigade never forgave him for and he was made an example of.

Spot on.

It's one of the worst examples of a media witch hunt.

Hopefully everyone's F5 button is in good nick, sure few more Rumours will spiral tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Alex Meier wrote: »

Spot on.

It's one of the worst examples of a media witch hunt.

He called a player a "thick lazy n_gger"

there is practially no way to recover from that lads when you are public figure, no matter how much he has done for black players in the past.

I loved big Ron as much as the next guy but that was the mother of all f_ck ups.

Hopefully everyone's F5 button is in good nick, sure few more Rumours will spiral tomorrow.

I honestly have no idea how people can get so worked up over these kind of rumours. I skimmed through the thread when I got home from work earlier and comments like "Twitter gone into meltdown!!" and "Its happening!" etc though I think the latter was always more in jest are just mad!

Two games is very clearly bull****, its football manager speak. There is no way a decision will be based on them, either the decision has been made and this is the soft opening approach or its misinformation/possibly a motivation though I would be skeptical of its use in that sense.

Anyway, my point is, no need to sit at your computer all day pressing F5, the news, if there is any will make its way to you and it will remain pretty huge news for quite some time, so relax, go outside, enjoy the world. It is Christmas :)

I honestly have no idea how people can get so worked up over these kind of rumours. I skimmed through the thread when I got home from work earlier and comments like "Twitter gone into meltdown!!" and "Its happening!" etc though I think the latter was always more in jest are just mad!

Two games is very clearly bull****, its football manager speak. There is no way a decision will be based on them, either the decision has been made and this is the soft opening approach or its misinformation/possibly a motivation though I would be skeptical of its use in that sense.

Anyway, my point is, no need to sit at your computer all day pressing F5, the news, if there is any will make its way to you and it will remain pretty huge news for quite some time, so relax, go outside, enjoy the world. It is Christmas :)

Oh ya I agree, but won't stop excitement or disappointment.

It's looking like LVG is staying for while yet. I do think he has till new year to sort it out though.

Whatever else, I just don't want Giggs in charge, ever.

• Advertisement

Brian Clough punched one of his own fans who invaded the pitch, it's only remembered because the tv cameras caught it.

I loved for Fergie for his combative nature, just like Roy Keane. The sanitisation of the past grinds my gears though.

I liked Fergie and Keane for their combative natures too. Keane hasn't proven himself as a manager yet so he's not relevant to this conversation. And while Ferguson could be obnoxious, he's never carried on as badly in public as Mourinho has done.

Clough's hitting pitch invaders a few digs certainly doesn't bother me that much, but he was a lunatic. He was also a homophobe, an alcoholic and told disgusting lies about Liverpool fans for a few years after Hilsborough. Since he's not in the running for this particular job I'm not going to bother pondering his suitability for the role.

Oh ya I agree, but won't stop excitement or disappointment.

It's looking like LVG is staying for while yet. I do think he has till new year to sort it out though.

Whatever else, I just don't want Giggs in charge, ever.

I will be disappointed if he goes before the end of the season, but not entirely surprised, football is like that. If Giggs is appointed I may have a **** attack in public never mind on a message board!

If we drop out of the top 4 this season, or even barely scrape in I wouldn't mind him leaving tbh but I can't say I wouldn't be disappointed if he were to leave right now. The form has been poor, excuses are available in some parts and the players need to take plenty of responsibility but the buck stops with the manager as always.

He is running out of time to get it right you feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

From my memory of watching the Clough thing, it was more of a piss weak slap, wasn't it?

Still not on either way.

From my memory of watching the Clough thing, it was more of a piss weak slap, wasn't it?

Still not on either way.

Was like a parent giving their child a clip round the ear for being bold! He was a mad bastard though anyway, plenty to dislike about Clough as well as to admire.

Still not on either way.

Kind of a bit of both:

(warning, maybe, for people with epilepsy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The stuff with the club doctors was brainless, there was no need for it and it played a major part in his downfall. I think if he is given the job it will be under the condition that he doesn't do crazy shít like that again

I will feel a little sorry for Van Gaal if he is sacked, he has always had the best intentions but he simply isn't up to the job at United, it is too big a challenge for him especially at the end of his career. It's a shame to see his career fizzle out, if he had gone to Bayern or Barca after the Holland job he probably would have finished on a high winning another league title

• Advertisement

My Dad got me quite a few autographs of Forest Players when he worked for British Telecom in Nottingham in 1991. Said Clough would hand out gifts to kids before games etc, but he was a nutter, but could be nice as saint too and also spent evenings to shelter homeless.

Was close to being Forest fan over that, but Dads family would have none of it (thank ****)

Funny enough John McGovern the captain of their 2 European Cup wins and league never once played for Scotland.

Sorry for going off topic.

He called a player a "thick lazy n_gger"

You can be sure similarly offensive terms were used about Irish players off camera in the spirit of 'banter'.

I don't think Ron was anti-Irish either.

It's right that racist comments aren't acceptable but be aware that some of the more risqué sentiments we throw around now might someday be just as unacceptable.

Journos need to get the clicks in before xmas :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I would've had a lot of respect for Van Gaal due to his achievements in the game, but I hope he can park his ego and try and make the changes to ri-ignite this team.
    I'd like to think a coach of his intelligence, experience and stature can adapt his methods and not stick to one tried and trusted "philosophy"
    I also think its important that Giggs uses his standing within the club to act as a conduit between the players and manager. They're grown men and experienced professionals. In this day and age they should be able to approach their coaching staff and have an honest and frank discussion on where they are now and how they can salvage the season.
    I haven't much time for Giggs lately, but he has over half his life invested in the club and should be using his influence to try and pull them all together, even if it means upsetting LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is he gone yet?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

• Some amount of bull**** being crapped out this morning

Latest one from the Sun claims Man Utd fans are going to attack LVG at the Chelasea game lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

M!Ck^ wrote:
    Latest one from the Sun claims Man Utd fans are going to attack LVG at the Chelasea game lol

Oh, is that what the "attack, attack, attack" chants mean?? :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Some amount of bull**** being crapped out this morning

It's at these times and with the rumours going around that it starts to breed a culture of hate.

People love to believe the rumours and they get frustrated and embarrass themselves.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Is he gone yet?

Yeah you missed it, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So many possible responses, I can't even choose...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mirror claiming Jose has offered to take a 50% paycut to join United; was on 12m a year at Chelsea, while LVG is on 6m, which Jose will apparently match.

In all the excitement of LVG and his job status, there's been an utter lack of any transfer news, considering the window is about to open. Journalists not even bothering to make anything up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You can be sure similarly offensive terms were used about Irish players off camera in the spirit of 'banter'.

I don't think Ron was anti-Irish either.

It's right that racist comments aren't acceptable but be aware that some of the more risqué sentiments we throw around now might someday be just as unacceptable.

None of the negates the fact that he dug his own grave with that phrase. No one could recover their position in the public eye after a comment like that.

Also the "PC" brigade is a bull**** argument as usual and I always do worry about people who use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I think to want Jose in charge which it seems a lot do is to admit you are really only in it for the glory, and not much else. Something United fans have been getting oh so upset over in the past 20 years. "Hi, I'm not a glory hunter"

Chanting his name at the ground, as is reported, was the most pathetic thing I've heard in relation to United in an age.

All the romantic ****e.... we play exciting attacking football, 'you score 3, we'll score 4' we have traditions with young players, we give managers time... it's all rubbish, people just want their fix of a Saturday, to be able to gloat to their friends that their team won.

I'm not pushed about LVG at the moment because it's pretty feckin septic to watch (heading to the Swansea game as it goes for the first trip in a while) but hiring Jose with all that goes with him for guaranteed wins is just wrong.

Bah Humbug!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Mirror claiming Jose has offered to take a 50% paycut to join United; was on 12m a year at Chelsea, while LVG is on 6m, which Jose will apparently match.

In all the excitement of LVG and his job status, there's been an utter lack of any transfer news, considering the window is about to open. Journalists not even bothering to make anything up.
    If the last few years has shown us anything it's that throwing money a problem doesn't solve anything. Think we need to concentrate on getting the players we currently have to perform somewhere near their level of ability rather than signing more players who won't perform.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ericzeking wrote: »
    I think to want Jose in charge which it seems a lot do is to admit you are really only in it for the glory, and not much else. Something United fans have been getting oh so upset over in the past 20 years. "Hi, I'm not a glory hunter"

Somebody get this guy his "greatest fan ever" badge.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement