Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Note Post 7373

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

MEN have said there were no discussions or talks today about LVGS future, Woodward was at a meeting in London for a "commercial-related discussion".

Ah here, would they not have had some clue earlier he was at a meeting in London? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

MEN have said there were no discussions or talks today about LVGS future, Woodward was at a meeting in London for a "commercial-related discussion".

looking more and more likely that he will be the manager against Stoke and Chelsea, i think its time to move on and accept that he aint going anywhere yet.

Do you think it will ever be time for people to not allow themselves to get hyped up every time the media start speculating ****?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Its a sad sight alright.

Theres only maybe 2-3 players between the 21s and 18s that you would think might have a chance.

I remember a few years ago watching the likes of rafael, fabio, macheda and king.

Now its gone to ****e

and people will blame Jose in a year or two (if he gets that job) that no players are coming through. its only a matter of time before our ~80 year record of having a former youth player in every squad goes, as the vast majority of players in the ranks now are not up to top level standard and it doesnt look like theres many more coming through either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ed signing up the official taxi service for United, first job is to take Louis to the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Do you think it will ever be time for people to not allow themselves to get hyped up every time the media start speculating ****?

of course, but the last 24-48 hours has been insane and it looks so far, its all been based off fake twitter and articles from the sun and the mirror.

his job is on the line, but it does look like he is getting one more last chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

There was no sign of LVG at uniteds trip to a childrens hospital this week, usual he goes to these things.

Maybe he is going and hopefully not Mourihno coming in.

a sign of how bad things are with the first team, the u-18s have lost 8 league games in a row and not many people have mentioned it. they are losing games to Boro, Wolves, Blackburn, Derby and Sunderland.

thats another worrying sign, we are supposed to be sorting out the academy over the last few years but looks like we are actually regressing at an alarming rate after a couple of good u-21 teams

2 years.

It will take a bit more then 2 years to sort out the academy particularly if the stories of how reliant everything was on Fergie and his contacts. By all accounts since the club is way behind other top teams.

So again. 2 years.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

and people will blame Jose in a year or two (if he gets that job) that no players are coming through. its only a matter of time before our ~80 year record of having a former youth player in every squad goes, as the vast majority of players in the ranks now are not up to top level standard and it doesnt look like theres many more coming through either.

Its been coming a long time, but I agree it will be a sad record to say goodbye to.

We have been learning a lot about the youth recruitment at the club int he last couple of years and how we have lost so much ground, even locally to City where so much of the prospective talent is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Very few academies of the top sides in England are performing well though in terms of producing players. Last Arsenal player to come through the academy and be consistent starter is Jack Wilshere about 6 years ago, Chelsea haven't had one in a long while despite their U18 successes, same goes for City.

Unfortunately it's more cost effective now with all the money in the game for clubs to wait and see young players develop before buying them.

Obviously the club should be looking to be excelling at all age groups no matter what but we've clearly lost focus in this regard.

From a financial point of view I suspect the United academy is still doing well. In terms of integrating players into the first team it is becoming increasingly tougher because there is no patience, there are certain minimums that must be achieved and the luxury of bringing youth players through is not one a top level manager always has. It depends on how competitive a league he is operating in naturally and how good the rest of the team is, but this kind of transitioning from youth to first team is now seen more at clubs on the level of Southampton for example, or lower of course. There will always be some exceptions of course but in terms of the norm you can see the pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Your reason for calling him a colossal a-hole is you don't like our brand of football and our legue position.

No it is not.

As usual in your haste to defend all things MoyesVan Gaal you have read what you wanted to read instead of what is actually there.

My opinion of Van Gaal has zero to do with what is happening on the field because unlike some I judge that on its merits. I dislike Van Gaal because I find him to come across as pompous and arrogant in his interviews, I dislike how he publically slates his players, I dislike how he treats many of his players, and I think he is smug and condescending in general.

You have been completely hypocritical as usual. You think Mourinho is an arsehole and say so, but I can't think the same about Van Gaal? Even though I have had the same opinion for months upon months now? All to do with how he comes across in the media, zero to do with league position.

An irrational child who resorts to name calling? Listen to yourself mate.

Jose wants Snedjier if he joins

Metro is the source, so obviously...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jose wants Snedjier if he joins

Metro is the source, so obviously...lol

woohoo
    #SneijderON...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

i think its yourself that needs a cuppa. gotta love these lads coming on here all high and mighty giving advice, yet they are doing exactly what they are giving out about.

I had my tae and a buttered blaa with smokey bacon crisps long ago. Delish. I wasn't giving out. I was virtually sighing and pointing out that there's too many bullsh!t tweets that get too much attention and retweets )

You can choose to listen and comment on all of these, but I'd advise not to. That's all.
    LVG is the biggest story in world sport at the moment, people dont need to be told what they can or cant follow.

40357d2cfe77e117770f6a706700a9a5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Granted an full of porter on work Chrimbo night but a thought struck me.....

Realistically Pep won't come cos both City and Chekski have FAR more money to offer to buy players

And Jose M is prob too divisive a character and don't develop young players,

So why not Mark Hughes....doing well with feck Al money at Stoke and playing attacking football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Really hope we win this weekend as it will give us confidence going into the Chelsea game where hopefully we can get another result then we can get to January and sign some good forward player out of the blue

Granted an full of porter on work Chrimbo night but a thought struck me.....

Realistically Pep won't come cos both City and Chekski have FAR more money to offer to buy players

And Jose M is prob too divisive a character and don't develop young players,

So why not Mark Hughes....doing well with feck Al money at Stoke and playing attacking football.

Yep its easy to see you're on the beer suggesting Sparky
    Enjoy the rest of your night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mark Hughes was mentioned to me a few times as well, people saying Giggs needs to prove himself first before he gets the United job, Hughes has already done a great job at Stoke.

Played at the highest level, Man Utd Barcelona bayern Munich as well. Don't think he would get the job though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ah lads, are we really gone that backwards that Mark Hughes is even been mentioned?

Did we not learn from the Moyes experiment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ah lads, are we really gone that backwards that Mark Hughes is even been mentioned?

So we rule Hughes out, is it only someone that has won something that's in the mix then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

jayo26 wrote: »
    So we rule Hughes out, is it only someone that has won something that's in the mix then??

Yep definitely.

No manager is ever going to get enough credit managing lower teams in England its impossible for them to win enough, so they will have unimpressive cvs.

Better off going to Spain, Italy and working up to a job where you could get top3/4 and progressing far in the Uefa cup.

Don't want Hughes myself but he is doing a good job no doubt.

bangkok wrote: »
    Mark Hughes was mentioned to me a few times as well, people saying Giggs needs to prove himself first before he gets the United job, Hughes has already done a great job at Stoke.

Played at the highest level, Man Utd Barcelona bayern Munich as well. Don't think he would get the job though

Dont think he will ever be considered for it. This was what I was trying to get at earlier like what the hell do you take into consideration because there are managers of every level we would say no to for various reasons.

We say Giggs has to go away and prove himself with a lesser team so going by what others are saying he has to perform a miracle with a midtable team to be in consideration because Hughes has done everything but win a trophies and he shouldn't be in consideration.

I dont see why Hughes would be such a bad choice if none of the so called elite managers were available he has always done a good job even at city he was harshly treated.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Yep definitely.

Going by that logic then di matteo would be a better choice then say pochetino but I tell you who I would prefer to have managing united out of them two and its not di matteo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Shooting down Hughes just highlights how utterly absurd it would be for Giggs to get the job.

Giggs qualification for the role is that he is a club legend who has coached at the club and will know it inside out. Some people seem to think thats good enough for the job.

On the other hand we have a club legend with 15 years of international and Premier league management experience, who somehow isn't experienced enough for the job...

I'm not suggesting Hughes as yet, but if he isn't a viable candidate then by god Giggs certainly isn't.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Going by that logic then di matteo would be a better choice then say pochetino but I tell you who I would prefer to have managing united out of them two and its not di matteo.

If they are managing one of the biggest teams in football, surely having won trophy is a requirement. Doesn't have to be the coach with the most trophies but they should have a solid track record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Brilliant!

If they are managing one of the biggest teams in football, surely having won trophy is a requirement. Doesn't have to be the coach with the most trophies but they should have a solid track record.

I think this is the thing; weirdly, a lot of people don't seem to view United as one of the top teams in the world when it comes to looking at managers. Bayern, Barca, Real, PSG, hell even City or Chelsea....they would never look at Hughes or Giggs or Neville. They wouldn't get a second glimpse if they submitted CVs. But some fans are so obssessed with the romantic notion of a home-grown manager, be it based in England or from the club, they take a smaller mentality than a club of United's stature should.

United deserve one of the top managers in the world. Hughes, Giggs et al shouldn't even be on the list. Pep, Jose, Carlo...thats the level of manager we should be discussing.

I would personally be curious to see how Sparky got on at the job, but I am a huge fan ever since the playing days, pretty sure my first jersey was a Hughes one.

I don't see him ever being seriously considered for the job though, and as bucketybuck points out, that in itself further highlights the insanity that would be appointing Giggs to the role!

Of that tier of manager Pochettino also interests me, but barring them doing something incredible they will never really get into the conversation properly.

The City stint didn't trouble me with Hughes, too many draws, a lot going on at the club in terms of changes and his first crack at that sort of level were his downfall, particularly the draws. His time at QPR is a massive negative for me, but he did great at Blackburn and he is doing a very good job at Stoke while changing their style at the same time.

Is that his level? Possibly, but impossible to know and we probably never really will tbh

Yes but it has to be flexible tho, maybe I'm wrong I don't know everything but if we rule out managers because they don't fit every box then the choices are limited.

Management isn't just about who has won most in the past ect. Some of It is down to luck and the current circumstances in the league extra, alot of managers that have won't trophies have failed in big Jobs and alot of managers that have never won a trophies have been very successful they all have to start somewhere.

If pochetino got the job I wouldnt be up in arms about it I think he is a damn fine manager but that same manager left a team in Spain in relegation zone where as say Hughes has alway done a good job on English football from what I can remember and has managed internationally too. I just think if a manager can show a clear vision and a plan he should be considered if he has a good back ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I was only thinking tonight that Hughes is not a bad shout at all, his work at a number of clubs has been excellent and he was a top player.

Realistically, if someone like Hughes isn't considered good enough then the only chance Giggs has of taking over is if he takes it direct from LVG as the chances of Giggs having a similar or better managerial career to Mark Hughes away from United are pretty slim.

Lots of United legends have had very respectable managerial careers and they are never considered yet one with zero experience is.

I think this is the thing; weirdly, a lot of people don't seem to view United as one of the top teams in the world when it comes to looking at managers. Bayern, Barca, Real, PSG, hell even City or Chelsea....they would never look at Hughes or Giggs or Neville. They wouldn't get a second glimpse if they submitted CVs. But some fans are so obssessed with the romantic notion of a home-grown manager, be it based in England or from the club, they take a smaller mentality than a club of United's stature should.

United deserve one of the top managers in the world. Hughes, Giggs et al shouldn't even be on the list. Pep, Jose, Carlo...thats the level of manager we should be discussing.

Hard to argue with that alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

markc91 wrote: »
    Brilliant!

No, no where near brilliant. Next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Hard to argue with that alright.

Only thing I would argue about is that many of those clubs have hired some absolute Turkeys as managers and plenty with no experience.

Still have absolutely no interest in Ryan Giggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

user2011 wrote: »
    No, no where near brilliant. Next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The stuff Chelsea played before Christmas last year was brilliant, I don't know how you could have said otherwise watching it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not sure thats true at all.

Would Giggs not be a kinda similar appointment to Pep for Barca in 2008? That was a fair old punt. Or Enrique going from getting Celta to Top10 then becomes Barca manager (Hughes equivalent maybe). Barca definitely have a history of taking these sort of managerial chances, they don't always go for the proven top class.

Not sure thats true at all.

Would Giggs not be a kinda similar appointment to Pep for Barca in 2008? That was a fair old punt. Or Enrique going from getting Celta to Top10 then becomes Barca manager (Hughes equivalent maybe). Barca definitely have a history of taking these sort of managerial chances, they don't always go for the proven top class.

But managing a team with Messi/Xavi etc in a league with 2 teams isn't going to take half as much as skill as taking us back to one of the most competitive leagues in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

But managing a team with Messi/Xavi etc in a league with 2 teams isn't going to take half as much as skill as taking us back to one of the most competitive leagues in history.

Atletico Madrid are better than every team in England and a true match for Barcelona and Real Madrid, it's a 3 horse race for the title, and there are many talented teams outside that top 3 too, the top 3 just happen to be probably 3 of the best 5 or 6 teams in Europe.

Atletico Madrid are better than every team in England and a true match for Barcelona and Real Madrid, it's a 3 horse race for the title, and there are many talented teams outside that top 3 too, the top 3 just happen to be probably 3 of the best 5 or 6 teams in Europe.

Your claim is that at the time Barcelona appointed Pep Atletico were better then every team in England, a true match for Barca and Madrid and it was a 3 horse race for the title, that themselves Madrid and Barca were at the time 3 of the best 5 or 6 teams in Europe.

Cause your post holds zero relevance otherwise. We can get into the inaccuracy of it after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Yup not biased at all......

Yeah Hughes has done a great job at Stoke, sorta like Moyes had done at Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Yup not biased at all......

He's right to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Whatever about your own personal levels of dislike for LVG this is just uncalled for, and false. LVG is quite a humble and reasonable man, things are not working out right now, he has made some misjudgements but thats the nature of football. Do you think he doesn't want to be a success?

Comments as nasty and plain dumb as that would really put you off this place sometimes.

The way he burns bridges with former players would lend some evidence to the statement.

There are lots of stories out there anyway, our Louis is no angel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

beno619 wrote: »
    The way he burns bridges with former players would lend some evidence to the statement.

There are lots of stories out there anyway, our Louis is no angel.

Neither was the greatest manager of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Article in the Times saying Mata and Herrera might leave if LVG stays because they are stifled by his tactics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

dubmick wrote: »
    Article in the Times saying Mata and Herrera might leave if LVG stays because they are stifled by his tactics

There is a story about Herrera every few months about him leaving to Barcelona.
    All the fans love him and think he is the shining knight to save the team so it's easy to write about and get the fans riled up.

He isn't as good as we think he is which is sad becuase he is reall likeable but I don't think lvg is the villain 'shackling' those 2.

There is a story about Herrera every few months about him leaving to Barcelona.
    All the fans love him and think he is the shining knight to save the team so it's easy to write about and get the fans riled up.

He isn't as good as we think he is which is sad becuase he is reall likeable but I don't think lvg is the villain 'shackling' those 2.

Exactly this Gowl, we've had a string of players like this over the past number of years who've been deemed the messiah who'll make the team sooooo much better and they've delivered in brief patches or not at all due to injury, lack of a consistent run etc....

You could put the names Berbatov, Rafael, Kagawa, Janujaz or Fellaini in place of Herrera or Mata and the story would ring true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Neither was the greatest manager of all time.

Agreed 100%, so why can't we call out the fact LVG is a bit of a ass ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭ericzeking

stankratz wrote: »
    Yeah Hughes has done a great job at Stoke, sorta like Moyes had done at Everton.

And Blackburn and Fulham and Wales....not so great at City (at a difficult transitional time) but he did sign Kompany.The way the conversation about potential successors has developed it seems it's either Pep or Jose or Giggs.If they're the only 3 in contention it's pretty narrow minded imo.In saying that Pep would be my own personal preference but if he's not gettable I would prefer us to think a little bit more outside the box.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement