Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Note Post 7373

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

brinty wrote: »
    Guardiola has a two club managerial reign with 2 of the best 3 teams in Europe over the last 5 years!!!!

He's never built a team from scratch
    He's never taken over a team in need of drastic reshaping
    He's never spent more than 4 year at one club
    When took a year out to ease the stress after managing the best team in the world….

I don't think it is fair to denigrate Guardiola's achievements at Barcelona just because they're not Stoke. He started at the top managerially. That's fine.

He certainly didn't leave them just three points above the relegation zone which is where Van Gaal left Barcelona before being sacked in January 2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

#Jose in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Alex Meier wrote: »
    The point is that Van Gaal has a history [snip] in a way that Guardiola does not. . .

Fixed your post there.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    To be fair to the man , he also has an extensive list of success which very young teams at the time...what he did with Ajax is nothing short of immense.

Verdict still out on Guardiola for me , I think he's a good manager yes but his Barcelona team included some world class talent , Messi , Pedro , Iniesta , Xavi no matter who managed that team they were going to be successfull...His Bayern team is the same Lewandowski , Gotze , Muller , Robben , Ribery , Lahm they would always dominate in Germany but he hasn't done a lot in Europe with them has he...

There is no guarantee that because you have great players that you will end up having great success.

When Van Gaal was sacked (after 29 of the 34 Bundesliga 2010-11) games at Bayern Munich he had lost seven matches and drawn seven matches and Bayern were on their way out of the CL spots. . . They weren't taking that risk so they fired him. . . . turned out to be the right decision.

That Bayern team had Lahm, Badstuber, Ribery, Robben, Muller, Klose. . .All great players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I wasn't being suble.
    People overrate players becuase they like them.
    It's hardly a problem.

Ah, it was kind of subtle. You didn't explicitly say that people are overrating him because they like him. Instead you couched it in conciliatory terms, including yourself in the group of people who rate him so highly (even though your whole point is that you don't) and only saying that it was sad that he isn't that good because he is so likeable, rather than saying that you think his likeability is why people overrate him.
    Herrera is good, but he isn't the answer.

Being an excellent player and being the answer to this cluster-fūck that Van Gaal has created are not interdependent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I really hope Guardiola goes to Man City, my head hurts.

There is no doubt that if it came down to United or City he would go to City. It is the easier route.

Fixed your post there.

Guardiola has won the Champions League more times than Van Gaal and has been in the game, as a manager, for a lot less.

You'd swear Van Gaal invented positional play.

No you wouldn't. But the fact that LVG was doing it long before Pep would debunk your silly notion that he is copying Pep.
    There are many managers at the top who like to complicate the game.

Alex Ferguson, the most successful manager in English football, had a simple "philosophy" in getting the best players in their positions with free flowing attacking football based on a strong centre midfield with wingers with the freedom to attack. . . . Usually supported by the L/R defenders. Nothing complicated. Most opposing teams couldn't hack the pace demanded by Ferguson.

This is not relevant to the question of whether LVG influenced Pep.
    Van Gaal influenced Guardiola simply because Guardiola played for him. Nothing more.

I don't see anything common in how Guardiola and Van Gaal approach football.

Then you don't watch football at all closely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I don't think it is fair to denigrate Guardiola's achievements at Barcelona just because they're not Stoke. He started at the top managerially. That's fine.

He certainly didn't leave them just three points above the relegation zone which is where Van Gaal left Barcelona before being sacked in January 2003.

Well you're denigrating all of Van Gaal's achievements despite the success he has had.. based on his reign at United..

All managers fail

Even Fergie got the boot in his early managerial career...

And BTW you're first line answers your points....
    Guardiola started at the top... not having success from that basis would've been a failure

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Then you don't watch football at all closely.

Are you in favour of retaining Van Gaal at United?

How is that relevant?

Guardiola has won the Champions League more times than Van Gaal and has been in the game, as a manager, for a lot less.

As you said he started at the top...

Failure to not win a European cup twice with one of the greatest club sides ever would've been regarded as failure

If Barca win it again this year, does that make Enrique the best manager out there as he'll have won it twice in a row...Pep never did that!!!!!

Well you're denigrating all of Van Gaal's achievements despite the success he has had.. based on his reign at United.

Van Gaal has had some success. No doubt about that.

No shame in experiencing failure either.

My point is that he should never have been made Manchester United manager but, in the end, got the job because there was no one else high profile enough to take it.

It hasn't worked out for him at MUFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

There is no guarantee that because you have great players that you will end up having great success.

When Van Gaal was sacked (after 29 of the 34 Bundesliga 2010-11) games at Bayern Munich he had lost seven matches and drawn seven matches and Bayern were on their way out of the CL spots. . . They weren't taking that risk so they fired him. . . . turned out to be the right decision.

That Bayern team had Lahm, Badstuber, Ribery, Robben, Muller, Klose. . .All great players.

Yeah He shouldn't have dropped his pants in the dressing room ... He lost all credibility with the players after that (according to Van Bommel in an interview)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Your back must be sore from moving the goalposts so much

If Barca win it again this year, does that make Enrique the best manager out there as he'll have won it twice in a row...Pep never did that!!!!!

Nah, Pep will just get the credit for it. He made Barcelona, dontcha know?

As you said he started at the top...

Failure to not win a European cup twice with one of the greatest club sides ever would've been regarded as failure

When I stated he started at the top I meant at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

It is perfectly plausible for a manager to take charge at a very big club and then to go and screw it all up pretty quickly. . . As Van Gaal has proven at United.

Van Gaal has had some success. No doubt about that.

No shame in experiencing failure either.

My point is that he should never have been made Manchester United manager but, in the end, got the job because there was no one else high profile enough to take it.

It hasn't worked out for him at MUFC.

You may have made that point as well. But the point that people are disagreeing with you over is your claim that LVG is copying Pep.

astradave wrote: »

Alex today.....

[img][/img]Badger_montage[1]-435548.jpg

• Advertisement

You're the one shifting the goalposts.

Same oul story on this forum. . . . the usual lick arses liking each others posts.

I asked Pro F a simple question on Van Gaal . . . Since we were discussing, er, Van Gaal.

Seems to me he has refused to answer it. . . Therefore he comes on here supporting LVG whilst simultaneously appearing to want him to be sacked.

When I stated he started at the top I meant at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

It is perfectly plausible for a manager to take charge at a very big club and then to go and screw it all up pretty quickly. . . As Van Gaal has proven at United.

Van Gaal started at the top with United and screwed it all up quickly.

372497.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He's still a better poster than AIG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I'm happy he cleared the club out

Brought on young players from outside and within.

Get rid of Rooney will be the task of the new manager

You may have made that point as well. But the point that people are disagreeing with you over is your claim that LVG is copying Pep.

rope-a-dope football was the term I used to describe Van Gaal. . . Possession football until the opposition make a mistake. Don't give the ball away.

Pep, LVG and every other manager believe in possession football.

Same oul story on this forum. . . . the usual lick arses liking each others posts.

I asked Pro F a simple question on Van Gaal . . . Since we were discussing, er, Van Gaal.

Seems to me he has refused to answer it. . . Therefore he comes on here supporting LVG whilst simultaneously appearing to want him to be sacked.

Saying that LVG influenced Pep and is not copying him is supporting LVG now. Yep, that makes sense.

Saying that LVG influenced Pep and is not copying him is supporting LVG now. Yep, that makes sense.

Do you support retaining Van Gaal at United??

Hi I'm a non-sequitur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Alex is having a Meier.

rope-a-dope football was the term I used to describe Van Gaal. . . Possession football until the opposition make a mistake. Don't give the ball away.

You also said that LVG has tried to copy Pep and you tried to deny that LVG influenced Pep.
    Pep, LVG and every other manager believe in possession football.

Tony-Pulis-laptop-300x182.png

• Advertisement

Do you support retaining Van Gaal at United??

What relevance does that have to the question of whether LVG tried to copy Pep?

Alex is having a Meier.

:rolleyes:

What relevance does that have to the question of whether LVG tried to copy Pep?

Why won't you answer the question?

Why do squirrels collect acorns for the winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

question-cycle.jpg

Because it is irrelevant to the issue being discussed.

What the hell are you talking about? You came in and said that LVG was copying Pep. Then when you were called on it you proceeded to move the goalposts into a discussion on how LVG is a terrible manager in your opinion without acknowledging that influence. Even ****in AIG acknowledged that Pep was influenced by Van Gaal.. sure as **** even Pep acknowledged that Pep was influenced by Van Gaal..

Hi I'm a non-sequitur.

I laughed loudly in work at this :pac:

What the hell are you talking about? You came in and said that LVG was copying Pep. Then when you were called on it you proceeded to move the goalposts into a discussion on how LVG is a terrible manager in your opinion without acknowledging that influence. Even ****in AIG acknowledged that Pep was influenced by Van Gaal.. sure as **** even Pep acknowledged that Pep was influenced by Van Gaal..

I've never read or heard Pep express huge admiration for Van Gaal.

Can you provide a link?

• Advertisement

• We have finally figured out why you hate him.
    This girl has you friendzoned as Fellaini waltzed in with his lovely head of hair and took her from under your nose.

Plenty more fish in the sea

This has made my day

Spread the Xmas cheer more often gowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

"HOW?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwRX1urYQJI

9 years ago today.....legend

bangkok wrote: »
    "HOW?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwRX1urYQJI

9 years ago today.....legend

God I miss so many of the people in that video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This has made my day

Spread the Xmas cheer more often gowl

Poor Bangkok.
    We are all here for him at this time of year.

Can you provide a link?

Astradave didn't say that Pep had expressed huge admiration for LVG, he said that LVG had influenced Pep.

Here's a quote from Pep expressing that for you:
    “I’m not sure he is the best coach in the world as he keeps saying, but certainly one of the best. I learned a lot with him. I would have to ask him, though, would he do things the same way if he had to do it all over again?” link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Can you provide a link?

FWIW he [Pep] raves about Van Gaal in his autiobiography.

God I miss so many of the people in that video.

Van der Saar
    Evra
    Vidic
    Rio
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Giggs
    Saha

some bunch of players alright....

and they could do it on a cold windy Tuesday night in Stoke

Van der Saar
    Evra
    Vidic
    Rio
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Giggs
    Saha

some bunch of players alright....

and they could do it on a cold windy Tuesday night in Stoke

Not to mention SAF himself pops up in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Exqap0n-lNk

All Paul Scholes goals outside box.

Sit back, enjoy, but have tissue ready cause we ain't seeing nothing like that for while. :(

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Exqap0n-lNk

All Paul Scholes goals outside box.

Sit back, enjoy, but have tissue ready cause we ain't seeing nothing like that for while. :(

Might actually uhh... need two tissues. You don't want to be using the same one... :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement