Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Note Post 7373

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,712 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hello ignore list, my old friend.

I've come to talk with you again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Nalz wrote: »
    Gimme gimme gimme. Need it now :D

Happy Christmas everyone btw. Enjoy the festivities. Keep the red flag flying high!

I'll have a looksie and see if i remember how to set it up properly and let you know, in the meantime, someone who knows more about it might fill you in first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

So your argument has to be:

If Giggs thinks management should be more authoritive during the game, he should just quit. He should sit quietly beside LVG even if he thinks a different course of action might yield better results. Better to play the good pupil rather than do his best to effect the result. Doing otherwise is rat behavior.

I just don't understand the hate Giggs' is getting. I was delighted to see one of the management team looking like they actually cared. Looking like United losing at home is something they can't just sit by and watch happen without doing something about it.

People b1tched (rightly or wrongly) about Yes Men in Phelan and Round, and bitch about people who might just be trying to stand up for the team as well.

My Argument is with all the losses united have incurred, Why does it take " Job is on the line " for the Management to get off there fat asses and instruct the players from the sideline.

Where was he in the Champions League as Wolfburg were scoring 2min after we scored ( Twice )

Did he not think he should be a twelfth man in any other games?

I love Giggs, But he made a fool of himself doing what he did

It made the situation worse either LVG sending Giggs to the sideline or Giggs doing something last seen in 2013/14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    My Argument is with all the losses united have incurred, Why does it take " Job is on the line " for the Management to get off there fat asses and instruct the players from the sideline.

Where was he in the Champions League as Wolfburg were scoring 2min after we scored ( Twice )

It made the situation worse either LVG sending Giggs to the sideline or Giggs doing something last seen in 2013/14

So because he hasn't done it previously, because he has played the good boy (as people deem to demand) previously, he can't decide a tipping point has been reached and a different approach is needed?

Maybe he did make a fool of himself.

Maybe he just felt enough is enough of the stand-off aloof management approach and was practicing the more hands-on version that none of us had any problem with Fergie and his team engaging in when they felt it was needed.

The argument that Giggs must do just as he is told and be a fecking robot is insane to me.

To be honest, I think if LVG stays on, without any changes to "philosophy", Giggs will quit very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I'll have a looksie and see if i remember how to set it up properly and let you know, in the meantime, someone who knows more about it might fill you in first.

Hover over posters name
    left click
    few options appear
    last one is add to ignore list
    click, confirm et voila...
    its a great thing
    I've only used it once
    Its really good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Polo_Mint wrote: »

again, HOW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

bangkok wrote: »
    save himself from what? He is a club legend, even if LVG gets sacked and giggs still wants a job the club will have one for him.

My question to you is why hasn't LVG given any instructions to his players over 17 games. is he not the manager?

I Fully Agree with you on this

We are the only club where our management is just another spectator in the crowd for 90 min

Either Giggs will be a good puppy and sit on the bench v Stoke or he will Man Up and tell LVG that if he doesnt drive the team from the sidelines, He will.

Giggs has laid the brick work now. I expect him or LVG to be in that square for most of the stoke game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

People b1tched (rightly or wrongly) about Yes Men in Phelan and Round, and bitch about people who might just be trying to stand up for the team as well.

I suspect the argument is not whether Giggs is a yes man or not, but that he only did this when it was clear to everybody that Van Gaal was a dead man walking. A rat deserting the sinking ship seems an apt analogy.

If instruction from the touchline is Giggs' thing then why has he sat quietly for 18 months? Why now, why so visible an act only now when Van Gaal appears to be under the most pressure?

Its not about what he did, its about when and why.

brinty wrote: »
    Hover over posters name
    left click
    few options appear
    last one is add to ignore list
    click, confirm et voila...
    its a great thing
    I've only used it once
    Its really good

This is different to the Boards ignore function, this one ignores the poster and hides any subsequent posts that quote the ignored poster

I suspect the argument is not whether Giggs is a yes man or not, but that he only did this when it was clear to everybody that Van Gaal was a dead man walking. A rat deserting the sinking ship seems an apt analogy.

If instruction from the touchline is Giggs' thing then why has he sat quietly for 18 months? Why now, why so visible an act only now when Van Gaal appears to be under the most pressure?

Its not about what he did, its about when and why.

maybe he has been trying to learn a different management philosophy. Maybe he has been trying to trust the methods of the man in charge. Maybe with performances and especially results of late he felt the players needed a more hands on approach, maybe it reached a tipping point for him.

Maybe the manager being under pressure is not more important that United getting a result.

Are you honestly saying that if Giggs felt he could do more from the sideline on Saturday that he should have thought: "No, i've to stay here cause Louis is under pressure and meeting sitting at his side is more important that United not losing".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

This is different to the Boards ignore function, this one ignores the poster and hides any subsequent posts that quote the ignored poster

let me know how that works, I noticed quoted posts still showed up
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Oh well ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Are you honestly saying that if Giggs felt he could do more from the sideline on Saturday that he should have thought: "No, i've to stay here cause Louis is under pressure and meeting sitting at his side is more important that United not losing".

Honestly, as a professional, I'd be thinking that to make such a public display of going against my boss' wishes will be taken as an act of rebellion, especially at a time when my boss is under pressure.

If Giggs didn't know what signal he was sending to the crowd when he did that, he's even more naive than I thought. Its not up to Giggs to make that decision. He's not the boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Or he thought he could expert more influence on the United performance from the touchline and was doing all he could to try help us get a result.

But of course, it HAS to be that he was only acting out of self-interest.

Yeah LvG came out afterwards and said Giggs went to the touchline with his blessing so it doesn't seem like a massive self serving revolt as some places are making it out to be

LvG- "In the last match he had a lot of time on the touchline. He has to give the advice to the players. He can do that because we speak about that. article-> http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-van-gaal-explains-10630763

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Honestly, as a professional, I'd be thinking that to make such a public display of going against my boss' wishes will be taken as an act of rebellion, especially at a time when my boss is under pressure.

If Giggs didn't know what signal he was sending to the crowd when he did that, he's even more naive than I thought. Its not up to Giggs to make that decision. He's not the boss.

LVG was asked about it and said he is fine with Giggs doing as he did.

Do you have anything to back up your assertion that it was specifically against LVGs wishes?

If Giggs did it deliberately to put pressure on LVG then yeah, its a sh1thouse move.

But there is also the possibility that Giggs simply felt the players needed some more hands on encouragement from the sideline and that he was best placed to do so - you don't have any proof what so ever that it wasn't discussed with LVG prior to doing so. It is all just assumptions that Giggs is an utter arsehole which I think is pretty unfair without any proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Mark Ogden ‏@MarkOgden_ 1m1 minute ago

LVG answered two questions in six mins, wished us all a Happy Xmas and then walked out. At least he showed up....
    19 retweets 6 likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

LVG was asked about it and said he is fine with Giggs doing as he did.

Do you have anything to back up your assertion that it was specifically against LVGs wishes?

If Giggs did it deliberately to put pressure on LVG then yeah, its a sh1thouse move.

But there is also the possibility that Giggs simply felt the players needed some more hands on encouragement from the sideline and that he was best placed to do so - you don't have any proof what so ever that it wasn't discussed with LVG prior to doing so. It is all just assumptions that Giggs is an utter arsehole which I think is pretty unfair without any proof.

What do you expect Van Gaal to state?

"No. He shouldn't have been there"

Giggs scarpered off down the touchline at FT and was gone to leave Van Gaal on his own to take the flak from the fans.

We also don't need to go into the details as to the sort of person Giggs is off the pitch.

Perhaps Giggs did indeed feel the team needed motivation . . . Ultimately it's up to the individual to decide.

maybe he has been trying to learn a different management philosophy. Maybe he has been trying to trust the methods of the man in charge. Maybe with performances and especially results of late he felt the players needed a more hands on approach, maybe it reached a tipping point for him.

Maybe the manager being under pressure is not more important that United getting a result.

We have had these crap performances for 18 months, you know that as well as I do. The only difference between now and 3 months, 6 months or 12 months ago is that the noose is tightening around Van Gaals neck, so it would be supremely myopic for Giggs not to realise that doing his touchline routine now is going to look incredibly suspect.

Its been said many times in here that Van Gaal does not like his coaches bellowing from the sideline, he doesn't think it is necessary and thats why Giggs has been glued to his seat for 18 months. That was said plenty, so Giggs standing up now looks for all the world like he is distancing himself from the regime. Maybe his reasons were genuine, but like I said he would need to be pure stupid not to realise how it would come across.

Of course there is another alternative. Perhaps as a response to mounting pressure Van Gaal told Giggs to get up and put on a show so as to pander to the fans and the mounting criticism. I have to believe that isn't true though, because if it was I'd lose any of the little respect I have left.

Rough start to the presser! Sheesh.

Van Gaal said he had received assurances from Woodward, Ferguson and Gill.

Press conference over in 6 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

looks like he has the backing of the board and is going nowhere yet.

this notion of having two games to save his career, doesnt seem as far fetched as some people here seem to believe.

Asked the journalists if they wanted to apologize. SAy this about him, he's a character :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Enjoy the wine and mince pie

Some of the press saying LvG stormed out of press conference... It was more of an amble.

Its really looking like United/Woodward/Glazers are running the same incompetent management style as when Moyes was on his last legs.

I can't understand how LVG is still in a job, to be honest. The Norwich game should have finished him - but yet United stumble onwards.

If it is true he still has the backing of the board, then you have to question the intentions of the board. Do they even care about the football club anymore? Do they care about winning? Do they care about entertaining? Do they care at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dont think Van Gaal is doing that bad in terms of points to be fired. He took over a team in 7th. But the football is boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its really looking like United/Woodward/Glazers are running the same incompetent management style as when Moyes was on his last legs.

I can't understand how LVG is still in a job, to be honest. The Norwich game should have finished him - but yet United stumble onwards.

If it is true he still has the backing of the board, then you have to question the intentions of the board. Do they even care about the football club anymore? Do they care about winning? Do they care about entertaining? Do they care at all?

They may just judge that any alternative that's plausible is worse for the time being - he'll be gone in the summer short of a miraculous turnaround.

Its really looking like

I personally think it did. I want to believe we're negotating now with Jose, but he or the club don't want the hassle involved in the Chelsea game, so are letting LVG finish the year and then we'll bring Jose in.

MD1990 wrote: »
    He took over a team in 7th.

God I detest this mentality.

He took over Britains biggest club and spent a quarter billion pounds, its not like he is managing Everton.

• Advertisement

I personally think it did. I want to believe we're negotating now with Jose, but he or the club don't want the hassle involved in the Chelsea game, so are letting LVG finish the year and then we'll bring Jose in.

If we were interested in Mourinho I would prefer to hear that he wanted to be in place for the Chelsea game. It would be a sign that there is fire and passion there, and a desire to come out fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

that press conference isnt good for anybody that wanted him out, it seems that as i feared, he is going nowhere anytime soon.

He's in last chance saloon.

Keep winning and he keeps his job.

Lose and he'll find out what happened to Moyes when he rang Fergie the day before he got sacked. . . . the phone rang out unanswered.

that press conference isnt good for anybody that wanted him out, it seems that as i feared, he is going nowhere anytime soon.

He's going nowhere and neither are United under him.

A coward of a manager.

Amazingly, I think the exact opposite; strikes me thats a man who knows his days are up, is there cause he has to be, says the only thing he can say (short of "Yeah, obviously I'm ****ed") and then walks out.

The media will eat that up as further proof to go after him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

God I detest this mentality.

He took over Britains biggest club and spent a quarter billion pounds, its not like he is managing Everton.
    Man Utd for years have failed to buy any top class players besides Di Maria. Its there biggest problem since 2013. Getting rid of Di Maria & Hernandez was a mistake though.

Very hard not to look at that interview and not feel sorry for him.

He's looks very hurt and his appeal to the media over there for apologies . . . . He can forget about that - This is the scumbag UK press he's dealing with. . . Any hint of weakness and they'll dig the knife in even further.

It really feels as if it's the end after looking at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A coward of a manager.

What? A coward for not walking away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A coward of a manager.

Can you elaborate on the coward point please? For some reason that has really got my back up

Alex Meier wrote: »
    Very hard not to look at that interview and not feel sorry for him.

He's looks very hurt and his appeal to the media over there for apologies . . . . He can forget about that - This is the scumbag UK press he's dealing with. . . Any hint of weakness and they'll dig the knife in even further.

It really feels as if it's the end after looking at that.

You'd swear the media made up the crap football, terrible results and that his position is under threat because of them.

4 wins in what, 15 games? Yeah, thats the media's fault.
    Out of the League cup to a lower league side? Yeah, thats the media's fault.
    Out of the CL despite a group we should have pissed? Yeah, thats the media's fault.
    Oh, no - sorry, its the fault of the fans for having expectations that are too high for United, according to Teflon Louis.

He should have resigned of his own accord already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

A coward of a manager.

What a ridicolous comment , I am for one not happy how he is performing but a coward ?

Least hes trying to put up some fight for his job... Pathetic comment by you

Anyone know who the journalist was who spoke up midway through his speech?

Asked the journalists if they wanted to apologize. SAy this about him, he's a character :P

That was an absolutely tremendous conference if I'm honest. Totally controlled, some really visceral and definitely had me enthralled. You could hear the laptop keys tapping at the back it was so quiet.....

That felt like a teacher lecturing the class. All extremely brave when they are writing their pieces(which he clearly reads) but when given the open floor absolutely bottling it.

I've absolutely no love for the UK press conf packs, and while I'm resigned to the fact Van Gaal leaving might be for the best, **** me I enjoyed that scowling he gave them tremendously.

It might well be a little to late, the brazen, fearsome Van Gaal really hasn't come across to me too many times during his reign.

One thing is for sure, if what he says is true, that everyone is supporting him, players and staff, I expect the players to run through brick ****ing walls against Stoke

TheDoc wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on the coward point please? For some reason that has really got my back up

His football is cowardly - he plays for a 0-0 with the hope of nicking a scrappy goal and says the fans expectations are too high. He is, imo, a coward forcing cowardly football on the club and we are reaping the 'rewards' of his cowardice.

LVG: "I don’t think I want to do it. I only say now I am focused on Stoke City, I help my players. I wish you a Merry Christmas and also maybe a Happy New Year when I see you."

The word "maybe" there from Van Gaal is interesting.

He probably knows now that defeat to Stoke/Chelsea and he's out.

His football is cowardly - he plays for a 0-0 with the hope of nicking a scrappy goal and says the fans expectations are too high. He is, imo, a coward forcing cowardly football on the club and we are reaping the 'rewards' of his cowardice.

Well that rule out Jose for while so.

Your such a melodramatic its incredible.

A coward......

Would you ever take a walk and get a grip of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

United play cowardly football, and he is the manager pushing those 'tactics'. His football is cowardly, that makes him a coward of a manager.

The players are scared to do anything off the cuff or really attack the opposition, because it is demanded that the play a defensive game of football first, taking no risks to expose the opposition for fear of exposing ourselves.

Ah here,

Ya can call him few things and plenty of bad things but to call him a coward is wrong.

Simply wrong. And I'm annoyed as anyone on situation

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement