Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Note Post 7373

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭ericzeking

As mentioned that presser is enthralling, from a results/style of football point of view I think he may be goosed and I wouldn't be overly bothered if we got a freshening up with a new coach.

But as a character and a man I think he is absolutely first class and I would love if it turned for him.

Louis...Louis...Louis....Louis!!

OOOP already posted..

Too much wine not enough mince pies for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ah here,

Ya can call him few things and plenty of bad things but to call him a coward is wrong.

Simply wrong. And I'm annoyed as anyone on situation

what bravery does his United side exhibit?

We have looked a side trying to actually attack the opposition with verve and pace at one stage - during that improbably City/Spurs/Liverpool period last season, which fell apart soon after and hasn't been seen since.

Herrera should be a starter in this side, as the only central player who plays offensively and with pace - but no, its two from Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Carrick more often than not, because he is afraid to take the brakes off the side. Everyone must play with the defensive aspect of the game first and foremost in their minds.

I don't mind a defensive side when it is called for - sometimes you simply have to accept you need to play defensively because the opposition are just that much better - but with LVG it is defensive nine times out of 10. West Brom, at home, and he starts with two holding midfielders. A cowardly selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

Whatever about should he leave or stay giving the press a good roasting is always great loved it fair play to him :) was really like when the teacher used to come in and rant :)

And lvg is a lot of things but he's no coward stupid comment to make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

what bravery does his United side exhibit?

We have looked a side trying to actually attack the opposition with verve and pace at one stage - during that improbably City/Spurs/Liverpool period last season, which fell apart soon after and hasn't been seen since.

Herrera should be a starter in this side, as the only central player who plays offensively and with pace - but no, its two from Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Carrick more often than not, because he is afraid to take the brakes off the side. Everyone must play with the defensive aspect of the game first and foremost in their minds.

I don't mind a defensive side when it is called for - sometimes you simply have to accept you need to play defensively because the opposition are just that much better - but with LVG it is defensive nine times out of 10. West Brom, at home, and he starts with two holding midfielders. A cowardly selection.

I'm not sure I could name a side in the world I would call "bravery". Are Barca or Bayern brave, no, but they are gifted players with proper setup

IMHO I think he is a fighter, but one who is stubborn to change his ways

I agree with what you say, but just don't agree he is a coward.

sjb25 wrote: »
    Whatever about should he leave or stay giving the press a good roasting is always great loved it fair play to him :) was really like when the teacher used to come in and rant :)

And lvg is a lot of things but he's no coward stupid comment to make

So why is his football so defensive all the time? Why are they so safe and boring and predictable? Why is there no bravery on display in his United side for the vast majority of his tenure?

IMO he was looking to create an attacking side at the start, but that 5-3 humiliation at Leicster last season was a tough result for him and he has been afraid to play attacking football since - safety first in all aspects since.

If United were not a cowardly side under him, I would not see him as a coward.

He shows bravery in front of the press, and whoopee for that, but until he shows bravery in how United actually play it will count for nothing, and we won't have a hope of winning anything.

I'm not sure I could name a side in the world I would call "bravery". Are Barca or Bayern brave, no, but they are gifted players with proper setup

IMHO I think he is a fighter, but one who is stubborn to change his ways

I agree with what you say, but just don't agree he is a coward.

Everton play attacking football, looking to get in behind and play risky passes.
    Arsenal do the same.
    Liverpool are trying to.
    Southampton were last season.
    Leicster are a very brave side.
    Even Norwich at the weekend showed more bravery when the opportunity arose. Their second goal came from their central player pushing and running at us - not something you will see from United cause Herrera is benched.

United play a safety first, defensively minded cowardly game of football, and we are getting the performances and results we deserve because of it.

Man for man I simply don't believe Leicster have a better team than us, but they play far better and more effective football, because there is a bravery to their game - they don't mind taking risks because without taking risks you're going to have a hard time winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

MD1990 wrote: »
    Man Utd for years have failed to buy any top class players besides Di Maria. Its there biggest problem since 2013. Getting rid of Di Maria & Hernandez was a mistake though.

What has that got to do with people trying to justify Van Gaals record by labelling us a 7th placed club? Are Chelsea a relegation place club? Of course they aren't, and we aren't a midtable club either so stop judging Van Gaal by midtable standards.
    Alex Meier wrote: »
    He's looks very hurt and his appeal to the media over there for apologies . . . . He can forget about that - This is the scumbag UK press he's dealing with

Scumbag UK press? They might be scum but like I pointed out again yesterday, Van Gaal shouldn't look to the press for salvation not because they are scum, but because he poisoned that well plenty of times himself.

I said it more than once, all those bombastic and condescending press conferences are fine in the honeymoon period but come the bad times he will wish he had the media on his side. Well, here we are and he is reaping what he has sown.

Man for man I simply don't believe Leicster have a better team than us, but they play far better and more effective football, because there is a bravery to their game - they don't mind taking risks because without taking risks you're going to have a hard time winning.

Yes but Leicester have a settled team and a manager there years who has had time to bring in all his own players and imaprt his own philosophy to the club. It takes 2 or 3 years at least for a manager to get a team playing effective football, Leicester wouldn't be top now if they had to change manager last season like we did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Full presser tweeted by the club:

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/679708943241760768

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Yes but Leicester have a settled team and a manager there years who has had time to bring in all his own players and imaprt his own philosophy to the club. It takes 2 or 3 years at least for a manager to get a team playing effective football, Leicester wouldn't be top now if they had to change manager last season like we did.

Wtf

Didn't CR join this season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Wtf

You new here or just never noticed His posting style before :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Woops

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Wtf

Buckey only speak Sarcastlish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Only heard about the press conference on the news on the way home but what I took from it, from his final words at least, was a man who knew his days were numbered.

As I say that's from a news report on it so I'll have to have a listen myself but I'm surprised there hasn't been more comment on it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I would absolutely love it if Van Gaal went balls to the wall and got the team to just attack, he could turn this around if it wasn't for his terrible philosophy. What has he got to lose, the majority of fans have turned on his septic football

His philosophy works on the assumption that the other team will press the ball with all of the lateral passes and leave space in behind but if the other team decides not to the philosophy is absolutely useless. A child could figure out what's going wrong, and it doesn't help that his plan B is route one stuff

From that conference it seems like he has backing but I believe he will be gone either way within the next 5 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

adox wrote: »
    Only heard about the press conference on the news on the way home but what I took from it, from his final words at least, was a man who knew his days were numbered.

As I say that's from a news report on it so I'll have to have a listen myself but I'm surprised there hasn't been more comment on it here.

My last post has full video of it.

Here's a summary.

https://twitter.com/robsmyth0/status/679710007399739392

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Louis needs the strong support of the fans and an early United goal on Saturday.

Who knows?

It could be The Great Escape at Xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ericzeking wrote: »
    and I would love if it turned for him.

there isnt one man on this forum that doesnt want him to turn it around - if he gets the sack, it more than likely means we have dropped another 5 or 6 points in the next two games which puts us in a very very poor position in the league.

i.e. LVG being sacked means our title challenge is over (it probably already is) and we are into January with a mountain to climb to reach top 4.

Now there's a purple nose!

• Advertisement

I would absolutely love it if Van Gaal went balls to the wall and got the team to just attack, he could turn this around if it wasn't for his terrible philosophy. What has he got to lose, the majority of fans have turned on his septic football

In fairness, the team have been trying to play attack-minded football for a few matches now. The issues are...

1. The players aren't preforming well enough, aren't creating chances and aren't finishing the few they are.
    2. As soon as we go "balls to the wall", our defense gets exposed and torn to shreds.

Ultimately though, if the players don't want to play for him, and now know failing to win in 1 of the next two matches gets rid of him, they might not be motivated to play :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

adox wrote: »

I watched it all and I think LVG played a blinder in the circumstances. He came out of that presser as well as he possibly could have imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Losing to Wolfsburg and going out of the Champions League has clearly been the turning point.

The day before that match United were level with City and one point off Arsenal (three points off Leicester).

I would absolutely love it if Van Gaal went balls to the wall and got the team to just attack

The problem is that you can't train and play one way for 18 months and then suddenly say "attack" and expect there to be an immediate change. Our performances didn't just turn sour for no reason, they are the end result of 18 months of coaching decisions and tactical choices. We are no different recently than we were this time last year, this isn't a blip, this is what Van Gaal has created.

Even if it was all about attacking, we can't just flip a switch and expect it to be any better.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Fair play to LVG imo. F**k the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think van gaal is more annoyed at the constant speculation and has just had enough of the press. I can totally see why.

He's getting worse treatment then a lot of managers has had before him at this point. Moyes and Rodgers weren't getting this much press coverage near the end of their reigns. A lot of it is because he is foreign and because he doesn't allow much input into the club. I think that's way the press have been so critical more so then in other cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

BMMachine wrote: »

Should have dropped his pants, and showed them who's boss! Great to see some conviction from the man!

All well and good saying, but the knives will be out from them even more now :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Everton play attacking football, looking to get in behind and play risky passes.
    Arsenal do the same.
    Liverpool are trying to.
    Southampton were last season.
    Leicster are a very brave side.
    Even Norwich at the weekend showed more bravery when the opportunity arose. Their second goal came from their central player pushing and running at us - not something you will see from United cause Herrera is benched.

United play a safety first, defensively minded cowardly game of football, and we are getting the performances and results we deserve because of it.

So Jack Charlon, big Sam and Italian football is 'cowardly' whereas people like tanned Phil and Brendan Rodgers are brave?

What an astonishingly incorrect thing to say.

Are defenders by nature cowardly and strikers brave?

True, but if Im honest I think hes gone within a month anyway. If they have a good christmas he will stay but definitely gone by Summer. Jose and United seem like a perfect mix in a lot of ways, the only problem is that if Utd lose form Jose will go mental again :s Gaurdiola - I imagine city will deliver him dumpsters full of cash.
    LVG standing up to them is something they needed to hear. Personally, I think the press have a lot to do with why English teams and players suffer so much in Europe and Internationals. There was a good period there for about 5/6 years where teams did well in the CL, but to me the press and reactions are part of the problem and they are treated like sacred cows. "oh dont take on the press" and all that, f**k them. If they are reporting bullsh*t they need to be called on it and less of this "oh thats just the way it is" attitude

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Has there been any other managers who dosent care about the press like fergie or Louis?

All Louis needed to say at the end of that presser was on saturday we will play 423 ****ing 1

Also if anyone here hasn't watched Mike Basset English footballl manager they should.

Mike Basset clip Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfpyD3xYjDg

Imagine if he just sat there and waited for someone to apologise instead of walking out.

That would have been brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Imagine if he just sat there and waited for someone to apologise instead of walking out.

That would have been brilliant.

He give enough time for a response, and probably saw a bunch of bottlers. It's incredible how no one has copped onto how he just LOVES to talk about tactics and FOOTBALL stuff. Anyone of his bad conferences have been dealing with the nonsense the English press pack crave.

His best conferences have been the ones were someone asks him specific football ****. He is even happy to have a proper debate with people that question his stuff, once its an actual tangible question.

Lord TSc mentioned above how the knives will be out more for him now. I do be genuinely fearful that opinions in England can be forged by the papers, genuinely fearful. Barely a clue between them, and most of the best opinion pieces you read on United come from outside of the country....

TheDoc wrote: »
    He give enough time for a response, and probably saw a bunch of bottlers. It's incredible how no one has copped onto how he just LOVES to talk about tactics and FOOTBALL stuff. Anyone of his bad conferences have been dealing with the nonsense the English press pack crave.

His best conferences have been the ones were someone asks him specific football ****. He is even happy to have a proper debate with people that question his stuff, once its an actual tangible question.

Lord TSc mentioned above how the knives will be out more for him now. I do be genuinely fearful that opinions in England can be forged by the papers, genuinely fearful. Barely a clue between them, and most of the best opinion pieces you read on United come from outside of the country....

He asked them did they want to apologise - and one asked "What have we done wrong". Did he answer that?

You'd swear the results at United weren't really poor or the football wasn't horribly dull, or that we hadn't got knocked out of the CL by PSV and Wolfsburg, and the league cup by Boro.

You'd swear the fans were being completely unreasonable being unhappy with United and LVG.

He asked them did they want to apologise - and one asked "What have we done wrong". Did he answer that?

Cowardly not to answer.

TheDoc wrote: »

That's exactly it. They get paid to write about football but would rather pander to the knuckledraggers who lap all the drama up and want it all summarised in buzzwords and cliches.

Reading over on the subreddit, a lot of people are attacking the journalist for asking that. I don't get that though. LVG was ranting and attacking the press. The journalist was within his right to ask the very logical question, in terms of asking did LVG not expect the pressure from such a poor run of results.

I cant help but feel that if that was the City manager or Pool manager or Chelsea manager, we'd be laughing that they were having a breakdown....

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Reading over on the subreddit, a lot of people are attacking the journalist for asking that. I don't get that though. LVG was ranting and attacking the press. The journalist was within his right to ask the very logical question, in terms of asking did LVG not expect the pressure from such a poor run of results.

I cant help but feel that if that was the City manager or Pool manager or Chelsea manager, we'd be laughing that they were having a breakdown....

Yep, we would.

The press haven't just decided to treat the foreigner like crap and target him for sh1ts and giggles.

He is under pressure because:

1. The football United play is horribly boring.
    2. The results over the last month have been poor, and the results since April have been generally poor too.

Its been 18 months and apart from looking a little less sieve like defensively it really hasn't improve much under him, especially if you consider the amount of money he has spent to create a squad that should be in his image.

People can give excuses such as poor form and injuries but....

1. LVG wanted and created a very small squad, which will struggle with injuries more than a larger squad.
    2. He is the one who decided Rooney would turn his poor for round and be able to spearhead our attack as one of only two strikers in the squad.

Poor form, poor results and poor decisions are why he is under pressure.

I would also say that it very likely to be a fact that United have spoken to Mourinho, and that there have been discussions regarding the future of LVG. If you take those issues to be true, then what grounds can you have for attacking the press? Are they to not report on his position or Mourinho?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Calling LVG a coward is an exceptional low point for here - disgusting! :(

irishfeen wrote: »
    Calling LVG a coward is an exceptional low point for here - disgusting! :(

aaawwww, didums.

His football is cowardly.

Watch out for the micro-aggressions, wouldn't want to offend you.

United play an utterly cowardly brand of football. Safety first and risk-averse protect the 0-0 and hope to nick one, conservative mentality.

The press haven't created Van Gaals problems. He's done it himself with boring football. He's clearly a man under pressure and can't handle the criticism by the looks of it.

The gutter tabloid press love a story and he's wrote their backpage stories tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have supported LvG but that presser was horrendous. He played it so wrong & the press will maul him even more. I can hear the opposition chanting "he's cracking up ".

He is telling the press not to speculate, to only print what they know to be true, which is utterly ridiculous. His upset regarding his wife & family reading the comments is pathetic. As has been shown here many of us totally agree with the press comments regarding our performance.

All he had to do was be humorous & joke about it. If he genuinely has the support of the Board & isn't about to be sacked, then he should of been happy & confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

It's clear that some people are just not cut out for supporting a team unless they're dominating all the time.

• Advertisement

It's clear that some people are just not cut out for supporting a team unless they're dominating all the time.

Ah, stop.
    "Supporting a team" does not need to mean you have blinkers on and cannot criticize things when they aren't working, nor is it to not want any upgrades when they are readily available.

Its clear some people are happy with mediocrity as long as they can hang their hat on some misguided notions to make them feel superior.

I want United to be the best side they can be. I want United to be progressing toward such aims at least.

But sure, you take you pot shots. Bully for you.

yup. exactly that. why do you think that is :)
    I dunno though, the behaviour actually seemed pretty normal of van gaal for me. He doesnt seem to take crap.

yup. exactly that. why do you think that is :)
    I dunno though, the behaviour actually seemed pretty normal of van gaal for me. He doesnt seem to take crap.

He's avoided answering any questions with regards to the poor results or poor performances and people are talking about him being defiant and and awesome. he's played it well, to be fair. you've people on here somehow balming the press for all of this - well played LVG, well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Ah, stop.
    "Supporting a team" does not need to mean you have blinkers on and cannot criticize things when they aren't working, nor is it to not want any upgrades when they are readily available.

Never said that at all. You can criticise without name calling and throwing toys out of the pram like a spoilt child.

I think his time is up myself and I've been a "fanboy" according to some.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement