Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Note Post 7373

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yis are losing the run of yourselves. I know this thread is about gossip and rumours but Messi talk goes beyond that.

Anything is possible. The money in the PL will be the highest in world football with the new TV deal that will be coming in next year.

I remember when people said 'Schweinsteiger will never leave Bayern'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I'd say Manchester would definetely be his destination if he were to come to England but which club is the question. There is no doubt the his national team mates at City such as Aguero, Zabaleta would try to lure him over but hopefully that doesn't affect him and he chooses us over them.

What makes you think he would choose Manchester over london?
    His Missus is good mates with Fabregas's missus.

For the record, cant see him leaving barca at all for a good few years.

Apparently Messi is getting a lot of bad press in Spain over that €4 million tax liability, and his father could yet go to jail.

Everything is not rosy in Spain for the Messi family.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

I wouldn't be too shocked if fabregas wasn't in London next season.

On a separate subject, I read quotes attributed to lvg this morning that it's would sign another player. Was this what he said? I assume this is in January?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

RobertKK wrote: »
    Apparently Messi is getting a lot of bad press in Spain over that €4 million tax liability, and his father could yet go to jail.

Everything is not rosy in Spain for the Messi family.

Yes it is getting Messi over there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

hogandrew wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too shocked if fabregas wasn't in London next season.

On a separate subject, I read quotes attributed to lvg this morning that it's would sign another player. Was this what he said? I assume this is in January?

There was talk of Cresswell to backup Shaw, but with West Ham up in the top 4 I think WHU will be unwilling to deal in January. Maybe LVG will go back for Mane again at Southampton?

Hard to see where else players might be available in January that will be an upgrade on what is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Sand wrote: »
    There was talk of Cresswell to backup Shaw, but with West Ham up in the top 4 I think WHU will be unwilling to deal in January. Maybe LVG will go back for Mane again at Southampton?

Hard to see where else players might be available in January that will be an upgrade on what is available.

The Guardian have us going back in for Mane. He's not worth the amount there saying and it'd be utter madness for us to pay that for him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/657897096691879937?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Anything is possible. The money in the PL will be the highest in world football with the new TV deal that will be coming in next year.

I remember when people said 'Schweinsteiger will never leave Bayern'.

Schweinsteiger would never have left Bayern in his prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Just out of curiosity, if Jose continues acting the way he is, picking up fines after fines and bans, will the FA just continuously continue giving him more fines and bans or can they actually go a step further to remove him from the club??? Just wondering

No hope of that. Don't see how they could legally fire an employee of a club just becuase he won't take part in their rules when his employment contract is with Chelsea.
    At the most, Chelsea could fire him for not partaking in them but they obviously won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

It's unlikely Jose will get the sack unless he's lost the dressing room?

• Advertisement

It's unlikely Jose will get the sack unless he's lost the dressing room?

To be honest, if the players lose faith in a manager the likes of mourinho, it's certainly not his fault, it's their fault.

We can all laugh and joke about him being childish or whatever and get the paddy power banter train on full steam.
    The truth is he is one of the best managers around and this little blip dosent mean he is now literally the worst.
    It's very easy to hate the man but very easy to see he is a great manager who will get results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

To be honest, if the players lose faith in a manager the likes of mourinho, it's certainly not his fault, it's their fault.

We can all laugh and joke about him being childish or whatever and get the paddy power banter train on full steam.
    The truth is he is one of the best managers around and this little blip dosent mean he is now literally the worst.
    It's very easy to hate the man but very easy to see he is a great manager who will get results.

That's utter bollocks. As a manager I have no doubt in his talent. It's his longing for attention and his circus acts that are the problem. It's a major distraction for the players. He lost the plot at Madrid and the press weren't fawning around him like the English media do.

He failed at Real Madrid and he couldn't handle the pressure. He's feeling the pressure now and is acting like a spoiled brat in the media. He's a complete sideshow and should not be the manager of a major club until he sorts his mental issues out.

He has been a manager at top clubs for the past 10 years with his 'mental' issues.

glued wrote: »
    That's utter bollocks. As a manager I have no doubt in his talent. It's his longing for attention and his circus acts that are the problem. It's a major distraction for the players. He lost the plot at Madrid and the press weren't fawning around him like the English media do.

He failed at Real Madrid and he couldn't handle the pressure. He's feeling the pressure now and is acting like a spoiled brat in the media. He's a complete sideshow and should not be the manager of a major club until he sorts his mental issues out.

That's a little OTT - Mourinho has won something like 8 titles out of the past 13 seasons. That's a ridiculous record. Up there with Fergie at the height of his powers. He won the CL with Inter and had the players sobbing as he left. Let alone Porto.

I think his style of play is incredibly negative and poor, and there is definitely doubts about his ability to build a dynasty or to handle pressure...but if you are a good player and do what Mourinho tells you to do you will more than likely end up with a medal by the end of the season. Hard to see past Mourinhos needless drama this season as a core problem, but if the players have any self respect or discipline they ought to be delivering more than what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

He may be a top manager but his time at Real and now Chelsea, the cracks are showing. This season espcially he seems to lose his nerve very easy, a professional like himself should not be doing that. The way he has been acting is clearly having a knock on effect on the squad. Only for the fact he is who he is, he'd be gone.

He has been a manager at top clubs for the past 10 years with his 'mental' issues.

No doubt he is a good manager his record speaks for itself but man management wouldnt be his best skill, Mourinho wants to be the star man the one that everyone loves but when things go wrong he has to blame someone and its usually one of his players or even a medical woman for god sake.

I think the last big achievement as a manager jose had was with inter he has not done anything since that would make you say he is a world class manager.

I wouldn't even call his style negative, it's more pragmatic.
    I'm probably in the minority by liking some of his park the bus tactics against big teams rather than puff out the chest tactics most fans want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

jayo26 wrote: »

I think the last big achievement as a manager jose had was with inter he has not done anything since that would make you say he is a world class manager.

In fairness a feat like that is a freak of nature. He can hardly be expected to repeat that every year, or win another champions league.

He did well to win La Liga ahead of Barca that one year, and for the first 5 or 6 months of last season Chelsea were on fire, there was talk of an unbeaten season etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wouldn't even call his style negative, it's more pragmatic.
    I'm probably in the minority by liking some of his park the bus tactics against big teams rather than puff out the chest tactics most fans want.

If you wouldn't call Mourinho's style negative it's hard to predict what managers you might describe as such.

• Advertisement

In fairness a feat like that is a freak of nature. He can hardly be expected to repeat that every year, or win another champions league.

He did well to win La Liga ahead of Barca that one year, and for the first 5 or 6 months of last season Chelsea were on fire, there was talk of an unbeaten season etc.

I wouldnt expect him to do that but if you look at his squads has he improved any chelsea player or madrid player or pulled a player from nowhere and integrate them in the squad.

He has won the title with chelsea but then stagnated when he needed to build on it same as he did with madrid.

Ah come on now - Guardiola has built a reputation as a world class manager by winning the CL twice with possibly the greatest football team ever assembled. Mourinho has won it twice with Porto and Inter sides that were very average by comparison. And he took a title against Guardiola and the side hailed by the world as reinventing football. Mourinho is the definition of a world class manager - he may not be what a club like MUFC wants or needs, but he is very definitely one of the if not the best managers in the game today.

Sure, he has personality issues but talk to Roy Keane about Alex Ferguson. Let alone all the other players Fergie fell out with over the years. Fergie was definitely more stable than Mourinho, but he was also unquestionably backed by the owners after he began delivering success. Its odd, but Mourinho doesn't seem to have that same backing from Chelsea.

Sand wrote: »
    Ah come on now - Guardiola has built a reputation as a world class manager by winning the CL twice with possibly the greatest football team ever assembled. Mourinho has won it twice with Porto and Inter sides that were very average by comparison. And he took a title against Guardiola and the side hailed by the world as reinventing football. Mourinho is the definition of a world class manager - he may not be what a club like MUFC wants or needs, but he is very definitely one of the if not the best managers in the game today.

Sure, he has personality issues but talk to Roy Keane about Alex Ferguson. Let alone all the other players Fergie fell out with over the years. Fergie was definitely more stable than Mourinho, but he was also unquestionably backed by the owners after he began delivering success. Its odd, but Mourinho doesn't seem to have that same backing from Chelsea.

I wouldnt trust pep to build as team either a you say he won the champs league with one of the best teams ever assembled but would he take a team like liverpool or united from last summer and rebuild a team and win a league with them again? He as never proved that.

Jose has done that in the past they were remarkable achievements. With Porto and inter but as i said firstly i think he has taken a step back once he left inter he has not come close to his goal of building a dynasty in madrid and it looks like he wont with chelsea either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The one major difference between fergie and Jose was once you fell outta favour with fergie that was it there was no way back! With Jose at Madrid and even now at Chelsea he seems too drop players and then revert back too those same players in time. I think an odd surprise first teamer been sold is needed too keep squads fresh and keep players on their toes ala Stam becks Keane ince etc under fergie. I don't think lampard and cech moving on were in the same bracket!

Schweinsteiger would never have left Bayern in his prime.

No because he said he wanted to win the CL with Bayern before he would leave, and he only won it in 2013.

I wouldnt trust pep to build a team either a you say he won the champs league with one of the best teams ever assembled but wouod he take a team like liverpool or united from last summer and rebuild a team and win a league with them again? He as never proved that.

Yeah, but I still hope Guardiola takes over from LVG. LVG is definitely building a team, and may yet prove to be playing the John the Baptist role. And Guardiola is definitely from the same school as LVG so the whole strategy and squad wont be thrown out the window should a manager with wholly different views be appointed. If not Guardiola, the club definitely needs a manager with basically the same views and philosophy.

But you're right - its yet to be proven that Guardiola can build a good side into a great side. If Guardiola is lucky and keeps getting good gigs in his career, he may never be tested in such a fashion.

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    The one major difference between fergie and Jose was once you fell outta favour with fergie that was it there was no way back! With Jose at Madrid and even now at Chelsea he seems too drop players and then revert back too those same players in time. I think an odd surprise first teamer been sold is needed too keep squads fresh and keep players on their toes ala Stam becks Keane ince etc under fergie. I don't think lampard and cech moving on were in the same bracket!

Ince was sold because of a clash where Fergie called him a bottler in front of the team and Ince furiously challenged Fergie to call him a bottler again - so Fergie stepped up and called him a bottler again, with players having to separate the two. No way back from that but it had more to do with Fergies temper than any master plan.

Becks was again Fergies temper getting out of control in a dressing room and creating a rift with a player who still had a lot to offer United.

Keane was probably a little more ruthless - Keane was not irreplaceable anymore. There might have been a gap left in Uniteds midfield for years, but Keane was not the man to fill it anymore in any case. But again, it was Fergie reacting to an incident rather than planning it.

Stam - again, probably Fergies temper with Stam being unwisely honest in an autobiography. Fairly ironic that Fergie has repeated Stams mistake by dishing the dirt on past and present United players despite certainly not needing the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I wouldnt trust pep to build as team either a you say he won the champs league with one of the best teams ever assembled but would he take a team like liverpool or united from last summer and rebuild a team and win a league with them again? He as never proved that.

Jose has done that in the past they were remarkable achievements. With Porto and inter but as i said firstly i think he has taken a step back once he left inter he has not come close to his goal of building a dynasty in madrid and it looks like he wont with chelsea either.

Like Tiger Woods, he has simply lost his mojo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

No because he said he wanted to win the CL with Bayern before he would leave, and he only won it in 2013.

So why didn't he sign in 2014?
    No offence mate but you need to get your head out of the gossip columns. The majority of your posts seem to be about United being linked with Müller, Bale or Ronaldo, now we have Messi thrown into the mix. All pie in the sky stuff.

I'm delighted we have him and I think he's been better than everyone else seems to think but if Schweinsteiger was guaranteed to start 90% of Bayern's games this season he would still be there. Let's not kid ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hahahaha

Mourinho's M.O. -

Season 1 - Inherit a strong squad
    Season 2 - Win stuff
    Season 3 - Go off the rails
    End of Season 3 - Leave or get sacked.

I hope everyone who wanted Mourinho to manage United is hanging their head in shame right now. Not just because of his current situation but because of his total lack of class.

David Moyes must be happy though, no longer the worst PL title defence ever.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

gosplan wrote: »
    Like Tiger Woods, he has simply lost his mojo.

After ridin' 3000 women that sort of thing tends to happen.

Scrap the cap!

After ridin' 3000 women that sort of thing tends to happen.

Not a bad way to lose your mojo.

Did the players always stay in that hotel the night before home games?
    Or was it something LVG brought in?

So why didn't he sign in 2014?
    No offence mate but you need to get your head out of the gossip columns. The majority of your posts seem to be about United being linked with Müller, Bale or Ronaldo, now we have Messi thrown into the mix. All pie in the sky stuff.

I'm delighted we have him and I think he's been better than everyone else seems to think but if Schweinsteiger was guaranteed to start 90% of Bayern's games this season he would still be there. Let's not kid ourselves.

I don't believe Ronaldo returns.
    It is clear United have tried to sign Muller for the past two summer transfer windows.
    Bale is a player United have tried to sign, and still want.
    Messi, I wouldn't put money on him joining United, but we support United, our team is good enough for any top player on the planet.
    Guillem Ballague: "The fact that one of the reported clubs approached him and his representatives twice in the last week suggests something is going on."The receptions have been interesting because it has been like 'OK, we are listening, what do you have to say?'. It doesn't mean he is coming, but it means he is more open to the idea, which you couldn't have said two or three years ago."

Schweinsteiger: "I was looking forward my whole career to once playing somewhere else to get the experience and if I thought about moving to England, I always had Manchester United in my head,"

"I am looking forward to this challenge in my life. I won everything in Munich and had an unbelievable time there, we had big success, won the Treble, and also with the national team we won the World Cup, and now I was ready for a change.

"In 2010, I also had the possibility to change to another club, but I was not ready as I wanted to win the Champions League with Bayern Munich first.

"Now I had a feeling that I deserve it, to see something different, and so in the end I have to say that the timing was perfect! And also to play for Manchester United is a really big honour."

I don't know why some think certain players are too big for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Dream: Pep takes over from LVG, brings Messi with him to reunite the two.

Nightmare: Pep takes over from Pelligrini, brings Messi with him to reunite the two.

Pep and Messi don't get along though

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think Jose needs some mental help, his time in Spain has done something to him and he is cracking up completely

still think they'll win the league next season, you'd fancy them to finish ahead of Derby and Birmingham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

My fear is now with Chelsea struggling and United end up having a woeful season van gaal could be moved on and Jose could be available. Stranger things have happened and I doubt the Glazers could ever be tempted by anyone anymore from hiring unproven managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

My fear is now with Chelsea struggling and United end up having a woeful season van gaal could be moved on and Jose could be available. Stranger things have happened and I doubt the Glazers could ever be tempted by anyone anymore from hiring unproven managers.

United won't have a woeful season, and Van Gaal won't be moved on.. There was a time i wanted to see José in the manager's dugout, but now given his recent antics, i rapidly changed that opinion.

You need not worry about that even if we did struggle i think Mourinho has tainted his image over the past year with his attitude and the issues with the medical team, i think he could end up at psg next or back in italy.

• Advertisement

12039322_1036384889715104_3215872613535172178_n.png?oh=70186f99c13e3f215e97604be17f56c3&oe=56860E21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

zerks wrote: »
    12039322_1036384889715104_3215872613535172178_n.png?oh=70186f99c13e3f215e97604be17f56c3&oe=56860E21

4000 of which are between them two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Funny that we've got less goals this year than we did in the same game week last year, just conceded 6 less

Hahahaha

Mourinho's M.O. -

Season 1 - Inherit a strong squad
    Season 2 - Win stuff
    Season 3 - Go off the rails
    End of Season 3 - Leave or get sacked.

I hope everyone who wanted Mourinho to manage United is hanging their head in shame right now. Not just because of his current situation but because of his total lack of class.

David Moyes must be happy though, no longer the worst PL title defence ever.

Hahahaha

Good thing sport is so easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

zerks wrote: »

I know that's supposed to be a good thing but......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Mourinho is a 3 season manager, spend spend spend win a few trophies, fall out with the media and some of his players and then leave. No long term plan for the club. Would hate him at United, such a horrible manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

bangkok wrote: »
    Mourinho is a 3 season manager, spend spend spend win a few trophies, fall out with the media and some of his players and then leave. No long term plan for the club. Would hate him at United, such a horrible manager

In fairness, the club's he has been at over the last decade are nothing but toxic when it comes to management and how they are run -

Inter - 7 managers since Jose left
    Chelsea- 9 managerial changes since he left the first time.

Madrid - 12 managers in 12 years.

Jose has been a complete Muppet last two months but the club's he has been involved in are complete circuses with or without him.

A club like United would give him the stability he needs but I can Never see him getting the job now, after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

To me, Jose is still awesome. Just needs a time out.

His attitude is rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

His attitude is rotten.

He's become increasingly bitter.

The result seems to be that he can't motivate all the players the way he used to or he's falling out with them or something.

He's sold Mata, De Bruyne, Cuadrado, Schurrle, Salah.

Now Hazard seems to want out.

That's three world class AMF options he inherited and three he bought himself.

Pedro can't make the team.

So we're basically saying of five wingers he's purchased, Willian was a success.

I always compare this to his first spell when he had Duff, Cole, Robben and SWP all rotating in and out and chomping at the bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement