Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 - Mod Note Post 7373

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

two tabs, watching the nfl too, simple mistake to make

Not for me. I'm perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Wrong thread I think. Go Packers :pac:

Bye week this week! but yes, go Pack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

two tabs, watching the nfl too, simple mistake to make

Sounded like you were watching dortmund in the match thread your a busy man :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Anthony martial is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

We were at home in the derby coming off a great result and City were missing their two best attacking players. But a point is a great outcome apparently. No lads. No it isn't. We'd a chance to go ahead of City this afternoon and that was the performance we turned in. Appalling game and performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Some people seem to think we only had to turn up today because City were missing their 2 best players. It's not like they lined up with a joke front 3.
    They have the best squad in the league and haven't really missed either player until today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Decent result and performance, especially considering the opposition and it being after the Russian away trip. But the main problem that's been there for so long is still the same. The attack is too blunt, it's the same in nearly every game. Plenty of sharp passing, hard work and good defensive organisation, but very little that clicks in the final third.

I'm starting to think the problem is that the attack are all too spread out. Martial and Rojo; Mata and Herrera; Herrera and Valencia; Rooney and one of Schweinsteiger, Herrera or Mata - these small pods of players are having to do it all with the others looking on from too far away. And then there's the times it's just a long ball up to Rooney, Martial or whoever is on the right wing and they haven't a United player near them to lay it off to.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Sounded like you were watching dortmund in the match thread your a busy man :):)

that was just a brain fart, meant herrera but couldn't think of his name for the life of me and the commentators didn't say it all match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Pro. F wrote: »
    Decent result and performance, especially considering the opposition and it being after the Russian away trip. But the main problem that's been there for so long is still the same. The attack is too blunt, it's the same in nearly every game. Plenty of sharp passing, hard work and good defensive organisation, but very little that clicks in the final third.

I'm starting to think the problem is that the attack are all too spread out. Martial and Rojo; Mata and Herrera; Herrera and Valencia; Rooney and one of Schweinsteiger, Herrera or Mata - these small pods of players are having to do it all with the others looking on from too far away. And then there's the times it's just a long ball up to Rooney, Martial or whoever is on the right wing and they haven't a United player near them to lay it off to.

When United get the ball on the wing in the final third there is absolutely no movement and I think it is down to the system LvG has them playing.
    He wants all players to hold their positions in case they lose the ball but that means very little movement off the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pro. F wrote: »

Same thoughts, the little triangles that gave us so much joy last year are basically none existent this season

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

because id do the same job for 100th the cost thats why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

because id do the same job for 100th the cost thats why

Now you're just being silly.

Now you're just being silly.

not shoot? not set up a shot? give the ball away a ton? Pretty sure I'd be well able for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I just cant understand how LVG a man that normally has no issues for dropping players, is persisting with Rooney

Same thoughts, the little triangles that gave us so much joy last year are basically none existent this season

Tbh I think that type of play - that we were all so happy with towards the back end of last season - was similar to what's going on this. It was just a relief at the time because it was better than what had come before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

United's next 5 PL games:

Crystal Palace (A)
    West Brom (H)
    Watford (A)
    Leicester (A)
    West Ham (H)

Don't think we will get 15/15. Palace, W.Brom and Leicester have caused us problems in the recent past so we need to be careful going into those games.

West Ham and frickin 3rd in the table so they're definitely doing something right. They've beaten Arsenal, Pool, City and Chelsea this season and it's only October so that won't be a walk in the park.

If we want to continue pushing for a title challenge and keeping the gap to a minimum with City and Arsenal, we should be aiming for atleast 10+ points from those 5 games imo. Our next set of fixtures aren't as easy as some are making it out to be.

For some frustrating reason, LVG seems to struggle against some of the weaker sides. But if we want to win trophies that needs to change and we need to be putting in performances we had against Everton and even today against these types of sides.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Headshot wrote: »
    I just cant understand how LVG a man that normally has no issues for dropping players, is persisting with Rooney

It has to be a contractual thin. It's the only thing I can think of :(

Lord TSC wrote: »
    It has to be a contractual thin. It's the only thing I can think of :(

Ah stop. Leave that tin fool hattery to the window lickers.

He was never going to be dropped for a game against city. He will be on the bench in the next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Don't see many of us defending Rooney now.. His decline in form is shocking he has been atrocious for us for a long time

Don't see many of us defending Rooney now.. His decline in form is shocking he has been atrocious for us for a long time

I've given up defending him because the level of discourse coming from those criticising him isn't worth bothering with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If LVG hasn't the balls to drop Rooney then he should be sacked. What sort of a message does it send to the rest of the players when he's constantly picking a guy that hasn't performed in quite some time?

I wouldn't even put Rooney on the bench in his current form. He's a complete liability on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

55% passing accuracy is just not good enough. Rooney needs to be dropped and replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I have strong suspicions that there are commercial engagements which preclude any dropping of Rooney. He can't be dropped so there's no real point in subbing him either as that'll only annoy him.

The last goalless draw between the two teams:

Gameweek 12
    Wednesday the 10th of November 2010
    City of Manchester Stadium
    Hart
    Boateng Kompany Kolo Toure Zabaleta
    Milner Yaya Toure De Jong Barry Silva
    Tevez

Berbatov
    Park Ji Sung Scholes Carrick Fletcher Nani
    Evra Vidic Ferdinand Rafael
    van der Sar

Substitutes:
    Given, Richards, Lescott, Kolarov[Boateng - 81], Vieira, Johnson[Milner - 73], Adebayor[Tevez - 90]
    Amos, Brown[Rafael - 49], Smalling, O'Shea[Evra - 69], Gibson, Obertan, Hernandez[Berbatov - 78]

This afternoon was an improvement on that game, incredibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

glued wrote: »
    If LVG hasn't the balls to drop Rooney then he should be sacked. What sort of a message does it send to the rest of the players when he's constantly picking a guy that hasn't performed in quite some time?

I wouldn't even put Rooney on the bench in his current form. He's a complete liability on the pitch.

A h now he deserves to be sacked? Ah Ted come on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Headshot wrote: »

Rooney is the last of the 'big' players to remain. He is the clubs top paid player, the English captain but has clearly lost his mojo so will be very hard to move on.

LVG has given the rope to Rooney, and he is busy hanging himself. LVG needs to be sure that there will be no dissent when Rooney is sold, the best way to do that is to make it clear to everyone, particularly the fans, that Rooney is finished.

Rooney can then be sold off at a cut price in the summer and Rooney will accept a pay cut as it will be clear even to him that he is gone at the top level.

My bet is a sale back to Everton next summer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Actually relieved now I missed the match.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Actually relieved now I missed the match.

It was a great game imo with great atmosphere. There were bursts of great football and it was a game with not many mistakes. People on here I swear love to look at negatives more than the positives.

Yes Rooney didn't have a great game but what about Rojo's performance, Lingard's chance on goal, Valencia's performance, Martial's trickery and skills etc.

No goals but it was a great game imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Rooney is the last of the 'big' players to remain. He is the clubs top paid player, the English captain but has clearly lost his mojo so will be very hard to move on.

LVG has given the rope to Rooney, and he is busy hanging himself. LVG needs to be sure that there will be no dissent when Rooney is sold, the best way to do that is to make it clear to everyone, particularly the fans, that Rooney is finished.

Rooney can then be sold off at a cut price in the summer and Rooney will accept a pay cut as it will be clear even to him that he is gone at the top level.

Ha. That is just too bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

adox wrote: »

Not too bizarre at all, makes sense tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

scudzilla wrote: »

So you think Van Gaal knows Rooney is a liability to the team and is playing him so the fans can see how bad he is so they won't be pissed off when he is sold for little money next summer?

Some lol worthy conspiracy theories about Rooney today tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

adox wrote: »
    scudzilla wrote: »

Remember when LVG was getting quizzed over Rooney earlier in the seasonand being a striker?

Van Gaal: "I have listened to you, you have more knowledge than I. Now Rooney is there."

Think that is when Rooney hadn't scored and LVG was getting questioned over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It was a great game imo with great atmosphere. There were bursts of great football and it was a game with not many mistakes.
    No goals but it was a great game imo

A great game of football ? What were you watching ?
    It was a terrible game of football.

Both sides had one shot on target in 90 minutes .One
    Utd's only shot on target came in the last five minutes.
    Both teams had 7-8 players behind the ball for most of the match and committed very little players forward.

It was a game littered with mistakes,poor control ,poor passing and insipid attacking play.
    The atmosphere was as flat as a pancake.
    It was garbage.

Hope we get Mane, put him on the left since Memphis is not in favour or form (defensive form duty anyway).

A great game of football ? What were you watching ?
    It was a terrible game of football.

Both sides had one shot on target in 90 minutes .One
    Utd's only shot on target came in the last five minutes.
    Both teams had 7-8 players behind the ball for most of the match and committed very little players forward.

It was a game littered with mistakes,poor control ,poor passing and insipid attacking play.
    It was garbage.

Both sides played not to lose, but United did the most in trying to win, I know the last bit is being generous, but Hart had more to do than De Gea.

It was garbage.

What mistakes???? :confused::confused::confused:

No LVG wantsRooney to succeed, as then the team succeeds.

But, Rooney doing badly gives LVG licence to do what he wants. He forced RVP out by giving the Capt to Rooney, he is doing the same. The only thing to save Rooney is himself, he was all talk about about 25 goals and finally being given his chance in his best position.

If that worked out LVG is a genius who got Rooney to click, if not, as is the case, Rooney will have to accept he was given the chance and can't do it. Much easier to sideline him on that basis.

The worst case is the Rooney digs his heels in and won't ove as he won't get the pay anywhere else, but the LVG is well wihtin his rights to basically dump him. And if the season continues on form like this none of the other players is going to raise an eyebrow.

Remember, as recently as 2 years ago Rooney basically had the club over a barrel, it takes a while to reverse that position.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Remember when LVG was getting quizzed over Rooney earlier in the seasonand being a striker?

Van Gaal: "I have listened to you, you have more knowledge than I. Now Rooney is there."

Think that is when Rooney hadn't scored and LVG was getting questioned over it.

You think we/the media have more knowledge of Rooney than his manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What mistakes???? :confused::confused::confused:

Poor passing ,poor technique ,poor first touch ,poor control ,poor decision making etc.

Poor passing ,poor technique ,poor first touch ,poor control ,poor decision making etc.

Technique?
    There was loads of sexy little first touches in that match from both sides.

You think we/the media have more knowledge of Rooney than his manager?

No, I think he was saying 'shut up asking me questions about Rooney, I am playing him where you always wanted him to be played'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A point before the game really wasn't a bad shout at all, but just as the game transpired I feel disapointed afterwards. Thought we were the better side and just failed to create some clear cut chances. Obviously Rooney is the topic again for a reason. Really abject today. Fails to win aerial duels, blal boucnes off him with his inability to hold it up, and losing possesion with simple passing. I don't remember Falcao being this bed.

Van Gaal very much might be sick of it, but he needs to address the situation. Martial looks entirely more competent to play as the lone striker. Even today his hold up play, linkup play and ability to turn on the spot is far beyond anything Rooney is doing at the moment.

There is unfortunately no room for Rooney in my preferred team. Depay back on left, Martial through the middle, Herrera at 10.

Playing this system requires a mobile, competent number 9. Rooney is failing to do this drastically at present. Far beyond a blip. I was a vocal advocate to have him at 9 thinking all will be well, but it's clearly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

At least Liverpool didn't win, which is unusual considering they have the greatest manager in the world.

Wow pessimism at it's finest. Quite a scene :cool:

• Advertisement

Don't know what you are on about. There was some sexy technique and control today bar Rooney and the passing was solid.

Can you be a bit more specific with your negativity. I'm really struggling to understand :P

RobertKK wrote: »
    No, I think he was saying 'shut up asking me questions about Rooney, I am playing him where you always wanted him to be played'.

Oh right. Ya I agree with you. I remember that presser and he was sarcastic about it.
    Lvg has done all he can for Rooney. Next step is being dropped and martial up front and Memphis/young out wide.

Rooney just hast adapted his game to his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭da gamer

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not defending Rooney,I find him an over rated, over paid player who willnever be seen as a utd legend in my eyes. His form has been shocking and the amount of times he lost the ball today was not acceptable.

However, what people here dont seem to realise is that this team is creating jack sh*t for any striker you put in that team. Every player is so afraid of making a mistake and not applying van gaals 'philosophy' that they just play it safe. Our two most attacking threats (with the exception of maybe Martial) were our two full backs. Everyone is slating Valencia yet he is the only player other than martial that will actually leave his position and run at players. How many clear cut chances were created for Rooney today? Unless we had a striker who is willing to win the ball and creat his own chances there are very few strikers that will score the way that utd team is set up. I'd still drop Rooney, but his form is only half the story, the problems run deeper than him.

We are stuggling to create chances all right, but a lot of this is also down to the lack of movement from Rooney. Today, it should have been Rooney making that run for the chance (not the exact run obviously). It was Martial that created the chance on Wednesday. Rooney has shown a complete inability to either control the bal or hold it up so why would other players be trying to pass to him knowing that he will lose it and so there is no benefit. Better to turn back and keep the ball.

Stick Martial in there and see how it changes. Mata/Herrera will have a target that they know has a good chance of making the play.

It is amazing to me that anybody is even slightly claiming that having Rooney on the pitch is anything but a negative

da gamer wrote: »
    Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not defending Rooney,I find him an over rated, over paid player who willnever be seen as a utd legend in my eyes.

Every player is overpaid. No player is worth what they make in a week, what I earn in a year.

Over rated and not a legend? Don't be an idiot. Close to being top scorer for the club and his country. Captain of both.
    2nd highest scorer in the league.

He has been a fantastic footballer for the last decade and the best team player we have had.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement