Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT6 cabling done but question on wiring setup

Options
  • 21-10-2015 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

I have run 2 cat6 cables to some points and 1 to others where its was not possible to run 2.

I have a cat6 patch panel but would like to wire some of the twin face plates with a single cable 10/100 instead of gigabit as the devices are only 10/100.

Is it easy enough to wire each point on the patch panel with 4 wires instead of 8 and each point? Any diagrams or term?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

durtybit wrote: »
    I have run 2 cat6 cables to some points and 1 to others where its was not possible to run 2.

I have a cat6 patch panel but would like to wire some of the twin face plates with a single cable 10/100 instead of gigabit as the devices are only 10/100.

Is it easy enough to wire each point on the patch panel with 4 wires instead of 8 and each point? Any diagrams or term?

Madness, use the full 4 pair for gigabit, add a switch for a tenner if you need more ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Madness, use the full 4 pair for gigabit, add a switch for a tenner if you need more ports.

Trying to stay away from daisy chaining switches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Trying to stay away from daisy chaining switches

Why, limiting yourself to 10/100 Ethernet is crazy in this day and age

Why, limiting yourself to 10/100 Ethernet is crazy in this day and age

It's only for some ports, not gonna get gigabit anyway the devices are all 10/100 (tv's satellite boxes) I wouldn't sacrifice otherwise

What I am saying is use 1 cable run for gigabit and the second run split into 2 x 10/100

Also adding another switch into the mix is defeating the purpose of the idea, I'd rather wire it rather than throwing extra hardware into the mix. I know where I need the gigabit connections and where I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

if you really want to :

on the first socket on the faceplate , just use the Oranges and Greens

on the second socket on the faceplate, put the Browns and Blues in the places the Oranges and Greens would normally go

ie : only the Oranges and Greens are used for 10/100 ( or 1,2,3 and 6 )

gctest50 wrote: »
    if you really want to - it's easy

on the first socket on the faceplate , just use the Oranges and Greens

on the second socket on the faceplate, put the Browns and Blues in the places the Oranges and Greens would normally go

ie : only the Oranges and Greens are used for 10/100

That's the answer I was looking for :-)

I knew it could be done but no idea how. I can always rewire if I need gigabit but for the purpose of minimizing extra gear lying about.

1 , 2 , 3 and 6 are the ones you are after :

qJIOOVf.jpg.

or you could just wire them all up as gigabit and buy a few splitters

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q3HIS8

dX0tzSf.jpg

gctest50 wrote: »
    or you could just wire them all up as gigabit and buy a few splitters

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q3HIS8

dX0tzSf.jpg

This did come to mind too!

I see a lot of plebs bought those judging by the negative reviews, any personal experience with them? I know how they work but never tried them.

• Advertisement

This did come to mind too!

I see a lot of plebs bought those judging by the negative reviews, any personal experience with them? I know how they work but never tried them.

none at all , but some of them look to be terrible

OKhg8yI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

we have some historical splitter boxes like the ones above that have been there for years with no problems but we are trying to get them removed whenever there is a switch upgrade

Would I be correct in saying each cable should be wired to top and bottom according to the diagram is suggesting? .. Looks like any other pictures I see are wired straight across as opposed to 4 on top and 4 on the bottom.

Would I be correct in saying each cable should be wired to top and bottom according to the diagram is suggesting? .. Looks like any other pictures I see are wired straight across as opposed to 4 on top and 4 on the bottom.

Just wired one and answered my own question

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

Keep in mind that 80% of cables bought online or in brick-and-mortars do not actually meet the CAT6 spec (in some cases, not even the CAT5e spec).

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/is-your-cat6-a-dog.htm

Advertisement