Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Recruitment Campaign - November 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

You just apply as normal, you are not a reserve yet. I am further on in the reserves going into training but I am not a reserve yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

EveAlex wrote:
    23,171 before PAYE, PRSI, USC, Pension Contribution as well as your Medical Aid (if you subscribe) GRA Sub (if you subscribe), District Social Fund (if you subscribe) and Benevolent Fund (if you subscribe). but they are the general deductions for a new joiner

Can I ask EveAlex..where there many in your phase who were having second thoughts about signing up when the pay became a reality ?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

rocky911 wrote: »
    Can I ask EveAlex..where there many in your phase who were having second thoughts about signing up when the pay became a reality ?

the pay didnt become a reality until everyone started actually earning it!

so i hope people see the reality of it now rather than it being speculation like it was for the newbies

Is the big cheque really only worth the 300?. I guess the rent allowance is a huge loss but always thought the allowances for lates, nights and working 7/10 weekends would bump it more?

Is the big cheque really only worth the 300?. I guess the rent allowance is a huge loss but always thought the allowances for lates, nights and working 7/10 weekends would bump it more?

thats all its worth

Christ...Rapheals and Pauks must 've getting good business

Christ...Rapheals and Pauks must 've getting good business

they got many students trooping in while in the college. 184 a week doesnt go far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

EveAlex wrote: »
    23,171 before PAYE, PRSI, USC, Pension Contribution as well as your Medical Aid (if you subscribe) GRA Sub (if you subscribe), District Social Fund (if you subscribe) and Benevolent Fund (if you subscribe). but they are the general deductions for a new joiner

your allowances do not include Rent allowance. you may add about 5k a year in allowances (according to the Minister for Justice on Dail record)

realistically speaking, you will get 330 a week with an extra 200 a month in allowances - roughly 1500 a month into your pocket

with the FEMPI legislation being enacted and with the GRA rejecting Lansdowne agreement, all increments are being frozen for Gardaí. You may be stuck in 23,171euro for a while

Don't forget many will have to pay rent depending on where they have been stationed and also I'd imagine most would need a car for the long commutes:eek: Add those in and you'd be really struggling to get by.

Is it fair to say this is the worst pay Garda recruits have ever recieved or is this pretty normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

carzony wrote: »
    I'd imagine most would need a car for the long commutes:eek: Add those in and you'd be really struggling to get by.
    What I want to know is that at any stage will we be asked if we have a full driving licence? Is there any Garda recruits who don't know how to drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

As a Reserve with 3 years service behind me I have a couple of queries:

1. On the Garda Reserve Verification form, is there a way of finding out how many hours we have done for our previous years claims (stupid enough not to take a note myself)?

2. Is there an allowance for having a Masters?

3. Do reserves get the option of going back to their current stations if they become full time members?

• Advertisement

Also are there any courses you can do to prepare for the questionairre part of the assessment? I passed the numerical and literary tests for both the Garda and Civil Service campaigns but failed on the last part on both occasions!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

The best tip anyone could give you for the questionaire is to put yourself in the boots of a garda when answering the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

1. On the Garda Reserve Verification form, is there a way of finding out how many hours we have done for our previous years claims (stupid enough not to take a note myself)?
    Answer: Check with your liasion Cig , he or she will have a copy in their files

Answer: Dont know

3. Do reserves get the option of going back to their current stations if they become full time members?
    Answer: Hasnt happened in the past but may be possible

1. district office. ring

2. No. Only a degree in which case you skip 3 increments once you have completed your 2 year probation

3. theres a chance but a slim one

Thanks EveAlex much obliged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

I applied today, hope I did it correctly. It didn't ask for any CV or any background info at all, is that correct? It only asked for name, address, DOB, phone number and a few questions on the reserve that didn't apply to me. Sign your name and date it. Was that really it? Will they cut numbers from that or will everyone that applied go through to the next stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

azure wrote: »
    What I want to know is that at any stage will we be asked if we have a full driving licence? Is there any Garda recruits who don't know how to drive?

there are lots of gardai who don't know how to drive. there are others who don't have a full licence :pac:

it's not an issue. new recruit on my unit doesn't drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Here is the latest payscale everyone.

the pay is not great especially with the rent allowance cut but hopefully that will be restored.

you can add roughly 25% to the gross pay to give you a better idea of salary p.a. i worked this out methodically for my mortgage application years ago. this is for your allowances covering nights Saturday Sunday and bank holidays. the rate per hour or day is a percentage of gross pay so it increases as your salary does.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

wilmet wrote:
    Well spotted. Gives hope to all who didn't get through last campaign. Time to get into practice with the aptitude tests. Also noted that the Minister indicated that 600 garda would be recruited on an ongoing basis each year to keep up with the demands of the force. Very positive news I believe.

Those who didnt get recruited last time should not be allowed to apply for the next time. There is a reason those guys didnt get the job. Its only clogging up the next process with substandard applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Puibo wrote: »
    Those who didnt get recruited last time should not be allowed to apply for the next time. There is a reason those guys didnt get the job. Its only clogging up the next process with substandard applicants.

I wouldn't agree, some applicants may not have got through for various reasons, not necessarily for being substandard.

For example, a person may perform poorly at interview stage due to nerves etc. This person may in fact be one of the best people out on the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

jesus that pay is atrocious for guards. How do they survive? With paying rent and food?! You get paid the same working in a chipper and for the job they have to do that is insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

WarZ wrote: »
    jesus that pay is atrocious for guards. How do they survive? With paying rent and food?! You get paid the same working in a chipper and for the job they have to do that is insane.

This type of pay is common place now. The mentality with employers is work the balls off people and sure you know where the door is and if you won't do it sure someone else will.

The days of high pay are over for people born from 1986 on-wards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

I wouldnt mind the low pay bit as it is supposed to go up but the increments being frozen for a few years is annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Aerospace Engineer Was Rejected By NASA 15 Times Before Finally Going To Space

http://www.businessinsider.com/clay-anderson-was-rejected-by-nasa-15-times-2013-7?IR=T

yourpics wrote:
    For example, a person may perform poorly at interview stage due to nerves etc. This person may in fact be one of the best people out on the job

What im saying is tbat people were not good enough last time and by reapplying they constantly they lessen the chances of fresh applicants.

They also have an unfair advantage because they know exactly what to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 lyonsie01

What im saying is tbat people were not good enough last time and by reapplying they constantly they lessen the chances of fresh applicants.

its not about been good enough, you can be book smart and get through and be a terrible guard once you get on the beat or you can not do so well in the exams but would make the best guard in the country. Do you always give up if you fail something once??????
    you should really wait and see how you get on before leaving a comment like that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lyonsie01

its not about been good enough, you can be book smart and get through and be a terrible guard once you get on the beat or you can not do so well in the exams but would make the best guard in the country. it dosnt matter how many apply, everyone will get a chance to sit the exam.

Do you always give up if you fail something once??????
    you should really wait and see how you get on before leaving a comment like that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

By your logic, people that fail their driving test should not be aloud retry it. There are plenty of garda out there that tried 2 3 even 4 times before making it down to the college. Does that mean that they are sub-standard?

lyonsie01 wrote:
    Do you always give up if you fail something once?????? you should really wait and see how you get on before leaving a comment like that.....

By your logic, people that fail their driving test should not be aloud retry it. There are plenty of garda out there that tried 2 3 even 4 times before making it down to the college. Does that mean that they are sub-standard?

Im sure you guys will do just fine. Who knows, I might even take ye under my wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

Im sure you guys will do just fine. Who knows, I might even take ye under my wing.

Ahh I see. Time to stop feeing the troll. Back to the topic at hand. Anyone have any speculation on a timeframe for the tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Ah sure the system isnt perfect and people who would be good dont get through, on the other hand it weeds out people like you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wilmet

wilmet wrote:
    Well spotted. Gives hope to all who didn't get through last campaign. Time to get into practice with the aptitude tests. Also noted that the Minister indicated that 600 garda would be recruited on an ongoing basis each year to keep up with the demands of the force. Very positive news I believe.

Add your reply here.
    That is a very mean spirited and unfair comment. There are many fine officers who didn't suceed the first time they applied. The same is true of all selection processes which use these type of tests. Candidates still have to succeed in all stages and everyone is equal until the testing begins. There is no standard until it is set by the group actually doing the tests.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator comment:

I'm inclined to agree with wilmet in the above comment.

@Puibo - Give it a rest.

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 H_A_G_H

Just wondering with regards to the fitness I know what it involves broadly, however how long does it take to reach the level for the beep test i.e what length of time during the actual tests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kidasa

Can anybody explain to me the following?

If applicant A has an outstanding aptitude test and applicant B has just scraped into an interview, are both A & B in a level playing field now or is it aptitude score + interview performance factored?

Kidasa wrote: »
    Can anybody explain to me the following?

If applicant A has an outstanding aptitude test and applicant B has just scraped into an interview, are both A & B in a level playing field now or is it aptitude score + interview performance factored?

level playing field

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

Is there parking available above at the garda hq im on at 9 in the morning and my safest bet is to drive up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Is there parking available above at the garda hq im on at 9 in the morning and my safest bet is to drive up

Not the best artist but you can make it out. :o
    It's free.
    311t5dj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭u2fanatic

Hi folks.. does anyone have any views on the preparation courses that are out there... Are they worth taking and which one's would people recommend. .?

• Advertisement

u2fanatic wrote: »
    Hi folks.. does anyone have any views on the preparation courses that are out there... Are they worth taking and which one's would people recommend. .?

Not worth it from my experience and that of some trainee guards. They are overpriced. You can get most of the stuff for free online.

The stage 3 course is defo worth doing. They give you a good idea of what you will be facing. Dont bother with the aptitude test course get stuff online and pratice the siht out of it. Thats the onlu way you will pass.

Not worth it from my experience and that of some trainee guards. They are overpriced. You can get most of the stuff for free online.

I agree

money for nothing in my opinion. i did one and got zero from it

but if you get something out of it.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

Would you recommend any good websites for practicing the garda aptitude tests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

weadick wrote: »
    Would you recommend any good websites for practicing the garda aptitude tests?
    This was posted a few times; http://pas.cut-e.com/home/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Achilies

Has anyone noticed that they have extended the closing date by one day it was meant to close on the 5th of January but now its the 6th. Not a big issue or anything, just wondering if they are not getting the numbers that they hoped for.

Achilies wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that they have extended the closing date by one day it was meant to close on the 5th of January but now its the 6th. Not a big issue or anything, just wondering if they are not getting the numbers that they hoped for.
    Where did you see this? Its probably a error. You can be sure they are getting the numbers. I reckon at least 15,000 will apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭gavdolfini

I failed honours English in the LC, will i have to resit this? :mad:

Ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

New campaign closing date changed to the 6th Jan Anyone ideas why this??

Advertisement