Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Recruitment Campaign - November 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

smiley963 wrote: »
    New campaign closing date changed to the 6th Jan Anyone ideas why this??

Can't think of a reason why they'd do that. Someone here said probably because the numbers applying are low but one more day wouldnt make much difference..

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

Yea it does not seem like one day would make a difference. I'm interested to see how much his campaign will pan out !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

It says on garda.ie the 5th. Where does it say the 6th?

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/24833.htm

Follow the link for public jobs and look at closing date !!!

Yea it does not seem like one day would make a difference. I'm interested to see how much his campaign will pan out !!!!

i said before this recruitment will give a true reflection on how many actually wanna join because it's a fresh campaign. Also the economic circumstances improving will filter out a lot of time wasters..

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    i said before this recruitment will give a true reflection on how many actually wanna join because it's a fresh campaign. Also the economic circumstances improving will filter out a lot of time wasters..
    Yes it will be interested and the fact that they have taken a stage away also !!

Yes it will be interested and the fact that they have taken a stage away also !!

A stage away for everyone?

Yes!! There are only 4 stages instead of 5.

Yes!! There are only 4 stages instead of 5.

I guess it will get easier as demand for the jobs decline.

Well let's be honest there is people applying that do not even want to be guards and there just applying cause they cannot find anything else.

• Advertisement

Does the numbers applying really make much of a difference? Everyone will have to get a certain mark in each stage to pass.

azure wrote: »
    Does the numbers applying really make much of a difference? Everyone will have to get a certain mark in each stage to pass.

Not to sure but if they don't get the numbers they may reduce qualifying grade or so. Anyone else any assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

It makes a huge difference. It will decide how competitive the tests are. There is a qualifying standard but just qualifying wont guarantee that you will progress. Last campaign after stage one they only brought forward the top 5000 candidates to stage 2 even tho 12,500 met the standard. The more people the harder it is to get high up in the results. They brought forward the other 7,500(bands 2/3) but it was 1.5 years after stage 1. Your results will decide weather you progress to stage 2 after 1 month or 1 year or later and maybe not at all, bands 2/3 were left in the dark for 1.5 years with no guarantee that we would ever get any further. The less candidates the better for ye. But try to do as well as possible in the tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

sorry for going off topic,

my brother recieved a fine in court for possession of drugs at a festival in, stupid stuff I know:confused:

would this hamper my application to join AGS id make regarding vetting etc???

he has no other bad marks against his name, and i have nothing against my own name,

any advice appreciated

mods please feel free to move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Canyon86 wrote: »
    sorry for going off topic,

my brother recieved a fine in court for possession of drugs at a festival in, stupid stuff I know:confused:

would this hamper my application to join AGS id make regarding vetting etc???

he has no other bad marks against his name, and i have nothing against my own name,

any advice appreciated

mods please feel free to move

Won't affect your application once you are up front about it on your forms and meetings with your local gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

You will be asked only about the things that they have about you on their records...if you where in a car accident...reported a crime etc...of they are not too serious you should be fine. Don't think about it toouch concentrate on the tests and interviews first

D Trent wrote: »
    Won't affect your application once you are up front about it on your forms and meetings with your local gardai
    If it doesn't affect your chances of getting in then why do they bother spending so much time on background checks? Surely there must be some logic to it?
    It worries me cause I have a uncle and a cousin who have convictions.

If it doesn't affect your chances of getting in then why do they bother spending so much time on background checks? Surely there must be some logic to it?
    It worries me cause I have a uncle and a cousin who have convictions.

They do it to make sure the family have no connection to criminal gangs, terrorists ect. It's basically trying to prevent the wrong people getting 'sensitive' information.

They do it to make sure the family have no connection to criminal gangs, terrorists ect. It's basically trying to prevent the wrong people getting 'sensitive' information.
    So if a candidate had a brother in the IRA for example, he would not be allowed in even though he is innocent?

So if a candidate had a brother in the IRA for example, he would not be allowed in even though he is innocent?

Yes that would be correct. You would have no way to prove it but. There would be other issues such as access to uniform, etc....

• Advertisement

If the person was a known ACTIVE member of such an organisation then there'd be no chance simply because of the security risk.

It's very unfair on innocent family member but how can you prove you have no relationship with a cousin, uncle, ect...

I reckon a persons family could be in all kinds of trouble like public order, shoplifting, drug users or just general scumbags ect.. As long as they are not in a position to compromise you or part of some kind of gang then i'm sure it'd be fine..

You can't pick your family at the end of the day.

If the person was a known ACTIVE member of such an organisation then there'd be no chance simply because of the security risk.

It's very unfair on innocent family member but how can you prove you have no relationship with a cousin, uncle, ect...

I reckon a persons family could be in all kinds of trouble like public order, shoplifting, drug users or just general scumbags ect.. As long as they are not in a position to compromise you or part of some kind of gang then i'm sure it'd be fine..

You can't pick your family at the end of the day.

Spot on Carzony.
    5 days left until application closes. !!!

Spot on Carzony.
    5 days left until application closes. !!!

This campaign doesnt seem to have been advertised as much as the last one. Even here on boards is quiet enough. I remember when the last one opened there was a great buzz about it all over the place..

This campaign doesnt seem to have been advertised as much as the last one. Even here on boards is quiet enough. I remember when the last one opened there was a great buzz about it all over the place..

Yea I did hear it in the radio etc and Facebook constantly advertising it. But we will know soon enough the volume of people that have applied.

thanks for your reply Trent

You will be asked only about the things that they have about you on their records...if you where in a car accident...reported a crime etc...of they are not too serious you should be fine. Don't think about it toouch concentrate on the tests and interviews first

thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Hey Im just doing my application now, can someone please help me, there are three options that you can apply for, I just want to ask a question about the 3rd option that you can apply for which says: Eligible serving Garda reserve member, can you apply for that if you want to apply for the Garda reserves or is that for people who are already in the Garda reserves, I've tried before to apply for the Garda reserves but find the whole application process really confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

fin12 wrote: »
    Hey Im just doing my application now, can someone please help me, there are three options that you can apply for, I just want to ask a question about the 3rd option that you can apply for which says: Eligible serving Garda reserve member, can you apply for that if you want to apply for the Garda reserves or is that for people who are already in the Garda reserves, I've tried before to apply for the Garda reserves but find the whole application process really confusing.

Serving reserves only I am afraid as serving members need to get a verification form completed by the District Office that they are serving in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

rocky911 wrote: »
    Serving reserves only I am afraid as serving members need to get a verification form completed by the District Office that they are serving in.

Ok thanks. I know I cant apply now thanks but I'm just confused what are those serving reserves apply for in this 3rd option? Is it higher ranking in the reserves?

• Advertisement

There maybe two separate processes happening. Reserves may go ahead.
    Nothing can be confirmed until the familiarisation material is released.

Will the only difference between stage 1 and stage 2 be that stage 2 is supervised? Are the tests identical or does it get harder?

The stage 2 will have the supervised tests plus your report writing and job simulation don't worry about it until you get called for stage 2. Take it one stage at a time. Seriously you could end up waiting like 2 to 3 years to get to stage 2.

The stage 2 will have the supervised tests plus your report writing and job simulation don't worry about it until you get called for stage 2. Take it one stage at a time. Seriously you could end up waiting like 2 to 3 years to get to stage 2.
    But job simulation was included in stage 1 last year? Are the tests in stage 1 identical to stage 2?

Ya apart from the report writing. Dont think about that until you have stage 1 passed. Concentrate on the aptitude tests. The job simulation is BS in my opinion. Id love the commissioner to take that test and see if she would fail it. I know a guy whos a reserve 6 to 7 years and he failed it....its your own opinion. I scraped a pass myself and im in it 6 years...

Is it just me or is there no hype on this recruitment drive?

• Advertisement

It feels a bit quiet. I want to no the proper date there will to start the campaign. I no they said the end of the month. But still. It would also be good to know how many applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Well why would there be a hype when you think about it?
    I mean something like 75% of workers/ professions are in line for a pay rise this year, while first year Gardai will be in receipt of 23,171 before allowances.

That's awful pay and I know it was same for 2013 campaign but country was in a much worse economical state then.

I don't want to be a nark but it's nothing to get too excited about.

I mean something like 75% of workers/ professions are in line for a pay rise this year, while first year Gardai will be in receipt of 23,171 before allowances.

That's awful pay and I know it was same for 2013 campaign but country was in a much worse economical state then.

Well for me it's not about the money. It's about the job if your looking to get rich from been a guard. Find a new career. Ha ha cause u won't be rich.

No all very valid points to be fair and I do agree. I think when you see how much they were advertising the campaign through social media it kind of says to me that numbers applying are low but could be wrong. For example in Scotland now they are crying out for members as they cannot fill training classes, I wonder would that happen here.

No all very valid points to be fair and I do agree. I think when you see how much they were advertising the campaign through social media it kind of says to me that numbers applying are low but could be wrong. For example in Scotland now they are crying out for members as they cannot fill training classes, I wonder would that happen here.

We will know soon enough. Also we will know how many apply when we see what the tests are like. There is a reason why they have changed the stages from 5 to 4. Also they need approx 10,000 applicants to fill the bands.

• Advertisement

We will know soon enough. Also we will know how many apply when we see what the tests are like. There is a reason why they have changed the stages from 5 to 4. Also they need approx 10,000 applicants to fill the bands.

Yep that is true, I imagine it may not be until end of next week that there will info sent by PAS..but then a part of me is thinking that it could move quickly particularly for GR's, but god only knows.

Yep that is true, I imagine it may not be until end of next week that there will info sent by PAS..but then a part of me is thinking that it could move quickly particularly for GR's, but god only knows.

Yea it will be interesting. The next intake is April so I wonder will any of the new campaign make it.

Yea it will be interesting. The next intake is April so I wonder will any of the new campaign make it.

Jesus that would be pushing it, personally if I was lucky to get through under the GR stream and that was the plan not a hope I could go that soon..I was even think late 16 at the earliest but god only knows.

I said that in a previous post a few days ago mate. I know facebook was advertising the campaign like crazy but other than that there was no real buzz about it. Even on boards it's been very quiet.

I might be wrong but something tells me not many will apply this time round.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

For those who missed my post about starting in Templemore versus starting in Garnerville, feel free to have a read.

The big sticking point for me is the €184 per week when JA is €188. I know there are allowances and you get to live in Templemore during training, but then again, if you're on JA, you can apply for Rent Supplement. The point I'm making: Would it really have killed the Government to give the Trainees the extra €4? Even just to show the world that we value Trainee Gardaí equally as much as we value those on the dole?

For those about to make the above sacrifice, you have my auto-respect.

Shield wrote: »
    For those who missed my post about starting in Templemore versus starting in Garnerville, feel free to have a read.

The big sticking point for me is the €184 per week when JA is €188. I know there are allowances and you get to live in Templemore during training, but then again, if you're on JA, you can apply for Rent Supplement. The point I'm making: Would it really have killed the Government to give the Trainees the extra €4? Even just to show the world that we value Trainee Gardaí equally as much as we value those on the dole?

For those about to make the above sacrifice, you have my auto-respect.

It's a very strange figure to come up with in the first place 184. I can't even figure out how they came up with that figure. A person under 25 would not get 188 JA but this competition is for people up to their 30's so that's irrelevant i suppose.

I think the worst thing is the scrapping of the rent allowance and I said before how anyone from the country stationed in Dublin could afford it is beyond me without leaving a mountain of debt.

In 2018 the pay scale will have to be increased massively or I could picture many recruits walking away. I'm actually suprised we have not heard of any recruits leaving due to the poor wages on offer. Most are not in it for the money but lets be honest you'd get better pay in most jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭PCplod2014

That's been a bit to optimistic. The last campaign has taken 2 years for us to get to the stage of completion and we are still waiting to be called in. I would say people from the new campaign are looking at earliest 2017. The stages are spread out and after stage 1 it only starts with top group from band 1 and this time obviously a proportion of reserves who have met the standards. There was a lot of hype over the last recruitment campaign as the embargo was finally lifted after years.

New campaign can hope for end of year at best and that will be the candidates that top each stage. The rest will be waiting 1 to 2 years like everyone has. And where is april coming from? People on facebook who havent a clue about how it works and seem to think the 600 this year will be solely from new campaign? Haha they will get an eye opener when they realise how long it actually takes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭PCplod2014

thekopend wrote: »
    New campaign can hope for end of year at best and that will be the candidates that top each stage. The rest will be waiting 1 to 2 years like everyone has. And where is april coming from? People on facebook who havent a clue about how it works and seem to think the 600 this year will be solely from new campaign? Haha they will get an eye opener when they realise how long it actually takes

Totally agree with you. Is there a Facebook page? I couldn't find one but have heard about 1??

Its a group group called garda entrie groupies. Its a page where people just ask questions and give advice. Few people seem to know that the next intake is april and think that there is only 75-100 people left from 2013 campaign and the 600 being recruited this year is for new campaign. Alot of people giving false advice and info like just like the other pages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement