Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Recruitment Campaign - November 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭PCplod2014

thekopend wrote: »
    Its a group group called garda entrie groupies. Its a page where people just ask questions and give advice. Few people seem to know that the next intake is april and think that there is only 75-100 people left from 2013 campaign and the 600 being recruited this year is for new campaign. Alot of people giving false advice and info like just like the other pages.

Just had a look at it there. The majority of these people have never even been threw the process yet they're able to say how many people are waiting from 2013 campaign forgetting about those from band 2 (waiting to do PCT/Medical). Also who will be going in in MARCH and MAY. They don't even have the intakes properly. It's April and July. Some people eh. And it's a public group for everyone to see. I know boards is also public but our names are not plastered all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

Well just under 16,700 applied to become trainee garda. Quite a drop since the last campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Where was that figure announced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

On the Irish examiner this morning. Though on the Irish times the article it says almost 17,000 applied and that there were around 30 applications for every position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

With the drop in numbers and 1 less competitive stage the odds are alot better for ye this time around. Also newspaper reporters dont know how the recruitment work so i dont know why they said 30 for every position. There will be seemless recruitment from now on. The 600 being recruited is just the number that the minister has got sanction for this year (basically guaranteed to be recruited) no doubt that there will be more recruited next year and the year after.
    As said before the 600 this year will be 50/50 from 2013 campaign and 2015 as there is atleased 300 left from 2013. The 2015 campaign will go on to fill places in 2017 and 2018 possibly just like the previouse campaign have done. It was said by media when the last 2013 campaign started that there were 24,000 for 300 jobs but 300 was only the number being recruited for that year 2014. By the time the rest of the 2013 campaign get into the college this year there will have been 1100+ taken from it. So dont listen to the media listen to the people who have been through it and know how it works. In a nutshell if ye pass every stage ye will get in eventually be it this year or next etc provided recruitment dosent stop but i dont see that mistake being made again. Its not just a case of them cutting down the numbers until they have 600 people as some might think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

17,000 is still a lot of people. Everyone was saying they were short of applicants. I don't think that was the case unless thousands applied in the final few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

azure wrote: »
    17,000 is still a lot of people. Everyone was saying they were short of applicants. I don't think that was the case unless thousands applied in the final few days.

Like last time many of them would have filled out the application form and you'll never hear from them again. You also have to remember many will be only chancers just applying for the craic.

The reserves must be delighted as it will be even easier for them to join with the drop in number. Out of 17,000 atleast 700 - 800 must be reserves?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Achilies

carzony wrote: »
    Like last time many of them would have filled out the application form and you'll never hear from them again. You also have to remember many will be only chancers just applying for the craic.

The reserves must be delighted as it will be even easier for them to join with the drop in number. Out of 17,000 atleast 700 - 800 must be reserves?

I would agree there will be a lot of people who just joined up for the craic or people who might not meet the standards, so really that number is not that high. I would also expect that there would be probably not a very high amount of graduates of third level degrees in this campaign compared to the other campaign, as with the improving economy many companies are improving their graduate positions in relation to pay and perks, and also there are more opportunities for them.

I know that this job is not about the money, but you shouldn't be doing a job that will cause you financial hardship, Im surprised that the Government has the wage so low, because many other countries keep their police force on a decent wage so that there will be less corruption, and it is something the Howlin and Fitzgerald should be looking to rectify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Achilies wrote: »
    I would agree there will be a lot of people who just joined up for the craic or people who might not meet the standards, so really that number is not that high. I would also expect that there would be probably not a very high amount of graduates of third level degrees in this campaign compared to the other campaign, as with the improving economy many companies are improving their graduate positions in relation to pay and perks, and also there are more opportunities for them.

I know that this job is not about the money, but you shouldn't be doing a job that will cause you financial hardship, Im surprised that the Government has the wage so low, because many other countries keep their police force on a decent wage so that there will be less corruption, and it is something the Howlin and Fitzgerald should be looking to rectify.

Re the corruption point other countries would have corrupt officers because their force is much bigger (60,000+) officers so it wouldn't be as close-knit as AGS therefore you could get away with wrongdoing.
    A Garda in Donegal who steps out of line will be talked about in a co cork station the very next day, AGS is so small in them terms, everyone knows everything about everyone

• Advertisement

Not a hope..I would imagine 400-500 max as there is a lot of reserves who aren't eligible due to age, personal circumstances and also not meeting the required criteria.

I would hazard a guess that at the moment there is only around 900 reserves in the country.Anyone within the job can see on the transfer/resignation list how many are resigning due to FT employment or simply leaving.

There is a lot over 35 also and then you have those still within their probation period..perhaps another 60 plus not too sure on that though and there is also the few that don't have the hours done in the last few years due to emigration/work/family etc. I do believe that those eligible in this stream have a massive chance.

rocky911 wrote: »
    Not a hope..I would imagine 400-500 max as there is a lot of reserves who aren't eligible due to age, personal circumstances and also not meeting the required criteria.

I would hazard a guess that at the moment there is only around 900 reserves in the country.Anyone within the job can see on the transfer/resignation list how many are resigning due to FT employment or simply leaving.

There is a lot over 35 also and then you have those still within their probation period..perhaps another 60 plus not too sure on that though and there is also the few that don't have the hours done in the last few years due to emigration/work/family etc. I do believe that those eligible in this stream have a massive chance.

Actually your right, Many were also succesful in the last few recruitment drives so not many reserves in the competition this time round. The small few reserves will be in a very good position though i'd imagine.

The actual reserves will have to recruit big time as the number of them is getting small fast.

17,000 people and of that maybe 1200 will be taken from that over 2 years and a good few will be reserves. Still tough competition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

Actually your right, Many were also succesful in the last few recruitment drives so not many reserves in the competition this time round. The small few reserves will be in a very good position though i'd imagine.

The actual reserves will have to recruit big time as the number of them is getting small fast.

17,000 people and of that maybe 1200 will be taken from that over 2 years and a good few will be reserves. Still tough competition though.

Anyone got idea if they have the number of applicants how quick will the stages commence. I take it it could be in the next two weeks. Any thoughts.

smiley963 wrote: »
    Anyone got idea if they have the number of applicants how quick will the stages commence. I take it it could be in the next two weeks. Any thoughts.

Stage one prob done in the next 2 weeks..stage 2 beginning in the second week of Feb..interviews beginning in March...prob first lot through for Meds and PCT and some in an intake in July/August.

rocky911 wrote: »
    Stage one prob done in the next 2 weeks..stage 2 beginning in the second week of Feb..interviews beginning in March...prob first lot through for Meds and PCT and some in an intake in July/August.

Thanks. I wonder with the numbers been 17,000. Will anything change. In previous campaign after stage 1 numbers were cut in half. It also stated there are two online assessments.

smiley963 wrote: »
    Thanks. I wonder with the numbers been 17,000. Will anything change. In previous campaign after stage 1 numbers were cut in half. It also stated there are two online assessments.

There is a minimum pass sandard in the apptitudes. The reason nearly half were cut last time is because they failed so weather there is 17,000 applying or 1700 you will still have to 'pass' the aptitudes. Having said that i got a good bit over the pass standard but i was still waiting for 1.5 years to get to stage 2 so the higher you get the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Can anybody tell me did it say in the information booklet that the Reserve stream would be in the beginning of February? I've gotten an email from one of the prep companies stating that this is the case.. however I don't remember reading this nor can I get my hands on the booklet. Thanks

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me did it say in the information booklet that the Reserve stream would be in the beginning of February? I've gotten an email from one of the prep companies stating that this is the case.. however I don't remember reading this nor can I get my hands on the booklet. Thanks

I remember february being mentioned. I presume they will just start at stage 2 when all the regulars are doing it in february after stage 1.

Would I be right in saying that there won't be a huge amount of reserves eligible for that stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Does anyone know what the online test will consist of?
    Is it just Verbal Reasoning and Inductive Reasoning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone have some good links for aptitude test practice please?

• Advertisement

Public Jobs are like the CIA. They don't give any information out what so ever. Like how hard is it, to state when stage one is going to commence. !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ciarraiabu

Quick question what are people doing to prepare for the report writing? Have searched online and nothing jumping out at me.

ciarraiabu wrote: »
    Quick question what are people doing to prepare for the report writing? Have searched online and nothing jumping out at me.

Wouldn't be worrying about that now. Stage 1 and 2 is what need to be worried about. !!!!!

I'm in the Reserve stream got in the top 1000 last time but failed my report writing and it was the one exam I was happy with on the day. So unsure of where to go from here.

The website i did was <mod snip>. The ukcat tests are very similar to garda ones and you can do both logical and verbal tests. The yare actually harder which is good practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 swim teacher

Does anyone have information on whether they accept language certificates/diplomas as proficiency in a second language?

Thinking that familiarisation material will be sent this week. Anyone else.

Just got my email for Reserves stream

Things could move very quick for the reserves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

PeteK* wrote: »
    Anyone getting this when they try open the .doc file from PublicJobs?

ibcakx.png

mine opened fine,

if your stuck i can send it to you in a PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭LadyLucinda

Thought there would be a lot more discussion going on here, all seems very quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Question about the Assessment Questionnaire, it just a questionnaire? Or is it a work based scenario questionnaire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What do we need to bring with us for the Reserve stream? I haven't been in the station in a while, have emailed asking about the form but heard nothing back regards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭LadyLucinda

TallGlass wrote:
    What do we need to bring with us for the Reserve stream? I haven't been in the station in a while, have emailed asking about the form but heard nothing back regards it.
    You had to submit the form with your application.
    RedmondHR wrote:
    Question about the Assessment Questionnaire, it just a questionnaire? Or is it a work based scenario questionnaire?

I'd be guessing that it's a work based questionaire but I'm open to correction on that. Is the report writing included in the assessment centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

You had to submit the form with your application.

It mentioned something and said it would send me a form! I never got a form or heard anything about it. Now I can't get a hold of anyone in my station to fill out the damn form.

Can anybody clarify for me what the assessment centre for the reserve entails? Is report writing included?

Was wondering the same myself. Was talking to someone in C. S. in Cork and he said that the report writing will be done with interviews but that's only hearsay. On a separate note is the rest of the reserve stream getting all the general stream info on public jobs ie. assessment questionnaire as well? I'm assuming we just ignore this information?

Anyone done the tests yet?

Hey can anyone recommend some good book on aptitude test to buy. Was in easons today and they had a few books on apptitude but was just wondering if someone could recommend a book cause I'm not really sure which one I should get.

• Advertisement

Do them online mate.. i have no links but everyone else seemed to have practised online last time.

Do them online mate.. i have no links but everyone else seemed to have practised online last time.

I've been doing that for years with not much success really think I need to get a book/s on them, see I can practice them online fine but I think I need something that goes into detail explains the answers and gives tips and techniques, ul find loads on the internet about it but it can be quite vague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Anyone else complete the assessment questionnaire for this campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hupp15

Quick Q guys.....
    This questionnaire we need to do by this week, does that contain the verbal reasoning etc too or is it just a questionnaire and scenario to begin with?

Thank guys

Just after doing it. Just a personality questionnaire and the scenarios

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Just after doing it. Just a personality questionnaire and the scenarios

So the verbal reasoning and numeracy aren't in it, r we getting them later? A after this is submitted.

• Advertisement

Nope, they're not for another 2-3 weeks. check the timeline email on your public jobs account

fin12 wrote: »
    So the verbal reasoning and numeracy aren't in it, r we getting them later? A after this is submitted.
    There is no numeracy, its verbal and abstract reasoning.

azure wrote: »
    There is no numeracy, its verbal and abstract reasoning.

Oh right I think numeracy last time, I remember doing graphs, am I right in thinking there was numeracy in the tests in the last campaign?

fin12 wrote: »
    Oh right I think numeracy last time, I remember doing graphs, am I right in thinking there was numeracy in the tests in the last campaign?
    If I remember correctly it was verbal, abstract and job sumulation in stage 1.

What happens if u didn't complete the questionnaire within one hour? I lost my internet connection just when I was doing the scenarios and when it eventually came back it said the session had timed out so I just logged back into public jobs and was able to complete the rest of the scenarios but I've exceeded the 1 hour in completing the whole thing..,..

It's ok I read the pre testing booklet information and it says it's ok to exceed the hour once it's completed by the deadline.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement