Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Recruitment Campaign - November 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭LadyLucinda

I'm in the Garda Reserve stream but just wondering can anybody tell me if there is negative marking present in the assessment centre? No mention of it in information booklet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

I'm in the Garda Reserve stream but just wondering can anybody tell me if there is negative marking present in the assessment centre? No mention of it in information booklet

From the previous intake I remember that there was negative marking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

There has never been negative marking used...

There was definitely negative marking on the last recruitment campaign

There was definitely negative marking on the last recruitment campaign

I highly doubt it as it has never been used since this format came in 1987...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

There was negative marking in stage1 first online tests last campaign but in stage 2 the second online tests there was no negative marking and the supervised test at stage 3 was the same as stage 2 online there was no negative marking. So ye are both right, there was negative in 1st test and none in the 2nd. I did both and did stage 2 only last august. Im certain of this. However im not sure what way it is this time round as there is only one online stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Whats negative marking?

Negative marking is where if you get the wrong answer your score goes minus 1. So u have to be 100 % sure your correct and no guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

I really don't see the point in these cute prep material if they don't give the solutions. I found the shapes easy but the verbal difficult. If you knew where you were going wrong it would be a help. Anyone else notice this? I'm in the reserve stream by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CreamTim

Anyone know if the stage two B is more analytical tests or abstract tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

Anyone got idea what is left in other campaign and when will people be likely be going to temple more for this campaign.

smiley963 wrote: »
    Anyone got idea what is left in other campaign and when will people be likely be going to temple more for this campaign.

My guess is around 300 or more. Id say june at the very earliest for top candidates or september more likely and then next year and so on for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭smiley963

thekopend wrote: »
    My guess is around 300 or more. Id say june at the very earliest for top candidates or september more likely and then next year and so on for the rest.

Thanks for that. Know anything why the change of verbal reasoning test for the new campaign.

So the reserves stream stage 1 is finished today...was surprised by the small amount tested over the last 3 days I imagine could not be more than 200 judging by the testing sessions...what did people make of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Horza

Has anyone received anything from pubjobs in email,text etc as regards Stage 1 part B?..im not referring to the familirisation material or timeline of stage commencement that was sent out before stage 1 part A,more just a reminder notice that it is about to begin..

I haven't got any email/notification yet anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

rocky911 wrote: »
    So the reserves stream stage 1 is finished today...was surprised by the small amount tested over the last 3 days I imagine could not be more than 200 judging by the testing sessions...what did people make of it?

Well considering how disheartened most Reserves where after the last campaign I don't think many had the quota to go the Reserve Stream. For me I totally forgot about the form till the last week and I couldn't get anyone to fill it out. Doesn't bother me too much I will go the normal stream, not much of an advantage to be honest been a Reserve in that sense. Would have been nice to get it out of the way all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leavingin2015

When will we receive the link to the test for stage 1 part B?

It should be by the 10th of Feb,but nothing yet it seems..

• Advertisement

It should be by the 10th of Feb,but nothing yet it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Horza wrote: »
    It should be by the 10th of Feb,but nothing yet it seems..

Do you know if that will be for a test or for material for us to study?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Anyone know when exactly you receive your OOM number?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

After interview

After interview

I would have thought that the OOM would have been given to each candidate after the first stage in order to progress to the next stage and so on,so as each candidate would know what band they are in,and what sort of time frame they can be waiting to take each stage.

dunner515 wrote: »
    Do you know if that will be for a test or for material for us to study?

Hi Dunner515,pubjobs already gave a link to practice tests in the familiarisation material wordpad document that each candidate would have received through their account,they also mention in this material that there will be one practice testlet on commencement of that actual test proper,so when you go and take the test within the time frame given there will be a practice test to take before the main event.

• Advertisement

I passed the interview and it was given to me in the email that said that said i passed.

Horza wrote: »
    I would have thought that the OOM would have been given to each candidate after the first stage in order to progress to the next stage and so on,so as each candidate would know what band they are in,and what sort of time frame they can be waiting to take each stage.

Depends on how well you do in the online tests. If you do well you will go through it very fast. If you pass but dont get the highest score it will be a long drag of a process. I was waiting a year and 6 months before i really got going with stage 2 and the rest. so these tests are really important if you want to get through it quickly

emails gone out...

The oom is only given to you when you finish the last competitive stage and your file reaches the gardai. You will be given you oom after you pass the interview. It decides the order of when people are brought into the college.

In certain cases someone might have a hold up in the last stage and another person who is further down in the oom will get in before them. For example someone who is 600 in the oom is waiting on vetting the they will look at 601 if he she is ready to go into college the they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Achilies

Just did the tests, seemed to be pretty easy,now back to the waiting.

• Advertisement

Achilies wrote: »
    Just did the tests, seemed to be pretty easy,now back to the waiting.

Fames last words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

I did the tests today. They were easier then the last time. Its just the part A that is hard to predict how my results will be....

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

Did anyone else have problems logging into the tests?? It keeps saying that my password is incorrect but I've copied and pasted it and it still says incorrect password. Any help would be much appreciated....sooner the better for obvious reasons O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 11 karl6709

Did anyone else have problems logging into the tests?? It keeps saying that my password is incorrect but I've copied and pasted it and it still says incorrect password. Any help would be much appreciated....sooner the better for obvious reasons O.o

No but i've received a email telling me my log in and pass where incorrect they have reissued me with a new pass since..id reckon pop them a email it might be the same for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭PMMG

Am I the only one who thought the verbal reasoning was really tough????

I haven't done the test yet but can anyone advice if it is exactly like the Verbal Reasoning and Abstract Reasoning tests on Career Services?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭i-ron

PMMG wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought the verbal reasoning was really tough????

yeah they are the same as on career services. I agree i found The verbal a lot trickier with only two minutes per four questions. Abstract I found fine but definitely got three questions wrong in the verbal, between time running out and spotting a wrong answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭PMMG

i-ron wrote: »
    yeah they are the same as on career services. I agree i found The verbal a lot trickier with only two minutes per four questions. Abstract I found fine but definitely got three questions wrong in the verbal, between time running out and spotting a wrong answer.

Jez if you only got 3 wrong you will do very well. I think I might have got about half wrong 😀

PMMG wrote: »
    Jez if you only got 3 wrong you will do very well. I think I might have got about half wrong 😀

Sorry that probably sounded a bit cocky on my part. I just know I got three wrong but no doubt it's more than that. The verbal is where I slipped up last time so if I fail on that again it would be a bitter pill. I suppose time will tell. Best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

I kept getting an error after each one saying my internet connection had dropped during the test and it couldn't be uploaded but I don't see anywhere I can upload the results now. It has "complete" written beside the tests but as you can see here it is in red. Have my results been uploaded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thought Abstract reasoning was really hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Assessment was tricky, guess they are weeding people out with this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

Waestrel wrote: »
    Assessment was tricky, guess they are weeding people out with this one
    17000 people applied and maybe only about 15000 sat the tests. They will need 10,000+ people to fill the bands for the next few years. They will have to go easy on the marking.
    Also only 5000 out of 18000 people failed the tests in 2014 and I thought the tests were a bit tougher back then.

Scirpt wrote: »
    I kept getting an error after each one saying my internet connection had dropped during the test and it couldn't be uploaded but I don't see anywhere I can upload the results now. It has "complete" written beside the tests but as you Have my results been uploaded?

Yeah it should be fine. That's the same that came up on mine (red complete). But if you go back into your familiarisation material public jobs sent you, as far as I can remember there's an email for tech support, might be worth sending an email just to be sure they uploaded. Or even email pas maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

azure wrote: »
    17000 people applied and maybe only about 15000 sat the tests. They will need 10,000+ people to fill the bands for the next few years. They will have to go easy on the marking.
    Also only 5000 out of 18000 people failed the tests in 2014 and I thought the tests were a bit tougher back then.

Really? That seems like a low supply of candidates for a lot of demand... why so? WOuld have thought that even with the economic recovery there would be plenty of people wanting to be gaurds

Verbal Reasoning was tough especially with the 2 mins they gave for testlet...

Can you still be called to stage 2,which is suppose to be going ahead at the end of March, if you did poorly in stage 1?..as in do they stagger the commencement of stage 2 depending on how well you did,so for example if you did extremely well in stage 1 on both parts,you will be called up at the end of march but if you did poorly but still got through to stage 2 it would be at a later date of commencement of stage 2?,or would any of this matter if you did do poorly because you just wouldnt be accepted to stage 2 in the first place.

Only top candidates will be called forward for 2nd stage end of march. You could be waiting as long as 1 year to do stage 2 depending on how you do. Before they brought people in batches of 600 to supervised tests. This is done in order from the top scorers down to those who just passed. Every few months they will bring a batch forward. So even if you get placed 3000 out of 17000 expect to be waiting for months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Good luck to all over the next few months!!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

Very happy with how that went! although I say that now and could have messed it all up lol

Advertisement