Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

care doc jobs

Options
  • 21-10-2015 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

im always on the lookout for a better job..so it bugs me when i go to caredoc in carlow nearly all the drivers are retired public servants with their pensions ..gardai ..station master ..army..etc then the office workers are the same..is this typical around the country...are these type of jobs word of mouth or only on public service sites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What?

Is Caredoc not a private company?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stonebob

probably in the way irish water is meant to be a private company ..involving the public service unions .and insider information about the jobs..

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Its not very fair but the people come with a wealth of experience and training . Also a lot of them are used to doing shift work . Agency nursing is also any area that is populated by people that have taken the golden shilling plus increments while our young people head off to the UK or the emirates to ply their trade .
    A retired School principle was teaching locally after getting in excess of €90000 retirement lump sum . In my opinion she was a greedy bitch when so many young people could have done with the experience and a start on the working ladder .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    A retired School principle was teaching locally after getting in excess of €90000 retirement lump sum . In my opinion she was a greedy bitch when so many young people could have done with the experience and a start on the working ladder .
    The DES take a very dim view of this. Can you pm me a school or a name?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

I have seen vacancies for caredoc advertised in the nationalist over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Drivers jobs seem to be advertised in the Nationalist at least once a year.

Anytime i looked in the nationalist there was only jobs for volunteers or leaflet distributers..theres lots of well trained motivated people on the dole as a result of the recession..the ex public servants have added to dole queues by hovering up these type of jobs ..they are to be found doing invigilating exams in my local college ..one of them uses her holidays for gods sake..and still works in the dole office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you want a different job then start knocking on doors and let people know you're available and what skills you can bring. Many vacancies are filled from word-of-mouth or from candidates already on file and don't even go to public advertising.

You must be looking in the wrong paper, the carlow nationalist frequently has paying jobs advertised in it, including all of the ones you have mentioned. I know from personal experience the invigilating jobs in college were advertised last year, a panel was drawn up & people called for work this year. You didn't have to be an ex public servant (I'm Not) but you did have to have a 3rd level qualification or similar experience. There were people there from all walks of life!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

denis160 wrote: »
    You must be looking in the wrong paper, the carlow nationalist frequently has paying jobs advertised in it, including all of the ones you have mentioned. I know from personal experience the invigilating jobs in college were advertised last year, a panel was drawn up & people called for work this year. You didn't have to be an ex public servant (I'm Not) but you did have to have a 3rd level qualification or similar experience. There were people there from all walks of life!

Hard to see why you'd need a third level qualification to be an exam invigilator.

• Advertisement

take your point about invigilating not being ex public servants (moneys not as good)..but its the cardoc jobs which seem to be full of ex public servants and spouses ..if they were advertised in the nationalist there would be non P S people working there...as for the superior training ...one an ex garda in his 70s and one was in a quiet railway station all his life...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

I have a close family member driving for care doc Carlow. They are not retired, never were a public servant and were lucky to secure the job part time after being made redundant. Thanfully they are now full time. Don't tar everyone with the same brush!
    stonebob wrote: »
    take your point about invigilating not being ex public servants (moneys not as good)..but its the cardoc jobs which seem to be full of ex public servants and spouses ..if they were advertised in the nationalist there would be non P S people working there...as for the superior training ...one an ex garda in his 70s and one was in a quiet railway station all his life...

ok maybe theres one....would you admit nearly everybody in there is ex public servant ...im just going on what i see...do you think im making this up?...also i would like to hear from other areas and caredoc recruitment...i would like to know if the public service unions regularly inform members of jobs .ones that the public never hear about or else they are gone before they are advertised..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

I can only comment on my own experience which thankfully is not as negative as yours. Why not contact Caredoc directly about their recruitment policy if you have concerns?
    ok maybe theres one....would you admit nearly everybody in there is ex public servant ...im just going on what i see...do you think im making this up?...also i would like to hear from other areas and caredoc recruitment...i would like to know if the public service unions regularly inform members of jobs .ones that the public never hear about or else they are gone before they are advertised..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I know 3 of the non-medical employees there and none of them were ever public servants. How is it that you see that nearly everybody in there are ex-public servants (I take it you're referring to non-medical staff as your first post mentioned driving jobs). Do you have evidence or is it just your perception?

Also, what is it that makes you think a driver job with Caredoc is such a good job? You just drive and sit in the car while the doc is attending.

Advert in this weeks nationalist for jobs at caredoc!

Advertisement