Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan for Christmas

• 22-10-2015 3:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

I am looking for advice..

We have a big Christmas this year, between Santa and presents we also need to buy all new decorations. Our current ones are completely totalled they were cheap because it's all we could get and the tree is just falling apart for example. I want to take out a loan of just a few hundred euro but would prefer to avoid the likes of provident. As much as their sick APR interest I don't like the idea of them calling to my house every week for 6-12 months. Is there any other services that lend money on a short term basis? Banks are obviously a no go since the minimum loan is usually 1,500 which I don't need. I don't really want to ask my family for money but I would if there was no other option. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Are you a member of a credit union? They do short term Christmas loans and I know in my one there's no minimum amount to borrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Have you tried "peer 2 peer" lending? Google it and see if it is possible for what you are looking for. There are 2 companies that offer this service at present, Linked Finance and Grid Finance. Grid I think just look after business loan finance but LinkedFinance may be an option for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Would it be possible to make your own decorations? Or even not give presents? Its two months or so away would you be able to make any cut backs or work a part time job and save some money? These are cheaper than a loan. If a loan is the only way to go then the other posts give helpful ideas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

It looks like LinkedFinance only lend to businesses I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

Are you a member of a credit union? They do short term Christmas loans and I know in my one there's no minimum amount to borrow.

I'm not no. But I don't have anything stopping me joining! I just never needed to. Thank you I will enquire about it with them :)

• Advertisement

PaulM1977 wrote: »
    It looks like LinkedFinance only lend to businesses I'm afraid.

Ah thanks! What does peer to peer loan mean anyway?

etoughguy wrote: »
    Would it be possible to make your own decorations? Or even not give presents? Its two months or so away would you be able to make any cut backs or work a part time job and save some money? These are cheaper than a loan. If a loan is the only way to go then the other posts give helpful ideas

We can do but we need a new Christmas Tree and lights etc. Not really no, we didn't have any time to buy presents last year and our family really went all out on gifts for us. So we want to try return the favour! I have most of the money I need I'm short like 300 euros. Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    I am looking for advice..

We have a big Christmas this year, between Santa and presents we also need to buy all new decorations. Our current ones are completely totalled they were cheap because it's all we could get and the tree is just falling apart for example. I want to take out a loan of just a few hundred euro but would prefer to avoid the likes of provident. As much as their sick APR interest I don't like the idea of them calling to my house every week for 6-12 months. Is there any other services that lend money on a short term basis? Banks are obviously a no go since the minimum loan is usually 1,500 which I don't need. I don't really want to ask my family for money but I would if there was no other option. Thanks for any help.

Why not take out a €1500 loan with a bank, draw it down and immediately pay off €1000, keeping only the €500 that you need? (As a last resort, obviously)

Why not take out a €1500 loan with a bank, draw it down and immediately pay off €1000, keeping only the €500 that you need? (As a last resort, obviously)

Are you able to do that? I thought you had to pay by month I didn't realise you were allowed pay back a lump sum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Variable rate loans generally let you repay in full without penalty at anytime.

Fixed rate loans tend to have penalties attached for early closure or extra payments.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Variable rate loans generally let you repay in full without penalty at anytime.

Fixed rate loans tend to have penalties attached for early closure or extra payments.

Ah thank you BuffyBot. I've never gotten a loan before

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah thank you BuffyBot. I've never gotten a loan before

Do you actually "need" a Christmas tree and lights? Have you very young children?

I can't remember the last time we had either, and certainly wouldn't consider borrowing for either. Is there an element here of you trying to keep up with the rest of the family when you are not in a position to do so?

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you actually "need" a Christmas tree and lights? Have you very young children?

I can't remember the last time we had either, and certainly wouldn't consider borrowing for either. Is there an element here of you trying to keep up with the rest of the family when you are not in a position to do so?

Yes I do have a 1 year old. My wife and I like having a tree up! It's not like I can't afford to pay back a loan, I would have enough saved up but I was a bit foolish and didn't save properly earlier in the year. (Learned my lesson.) not really, but last year we were having a bit of trouble finding a house to rent so few suitable houses within our budget and any that did suit wouldn't take us because we had a baby. So we didn't get a chance to do much Christmas shopping but my wife's family really went mad with all the presents they bought for the three of us. We both agreed we'd like to return the favour. As I said I'm literally just short of a tree and some decorations. The stand on our current tree is broken (was a cheap Argos one we bought when we lived in our first apartment) so we need a new one. It keeps falling over. We had to tape it to the floor and the presents we got were underneath to keep it in place. One present moved and the tree tipped. I laugh now, but I won't be if I deal with that again this year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes I do have a 1 year old. My wife and I like having a tree up! It's not like I can't afford to pay back a loan, I would have enough saved up but I was a bit foolish and didn't save properly earlier in the year. (Learned my lesson.) not really, but last year we were having a bit of trouble finding a house to rent so few suitable houses within our budget and any that did suit wouldn't take us because we had a baby. So we didn't get a chance to do much Christmas shopping but my wife's family really went mad with all the presents they bought for the three of us. We both agreed we'd like to return the favour. As I said I'm literally just short of a tree and some decorations. The stand on our current tree is broken (was a cheap Argos one we bought when we lived in our first apartment) so we need a new one. It keeps falling over. We had to tape it to the floor and the presents we got were underneath to keep it in place. One present moved and the tree tipped. I laugh now, but I won't be if I deal with that again this year.

Your one year old will have no idea what Christmas means.
    If you can afford gifts for the family you've covered what's important.

Your one year old will have no idea what Christmas means.
    If you can afford gifts for the family you've covered what's important.

I know what Christmas is... I want a tree... I like Christmas trees. It wouldn't feel like Christmas with no decorations

I know what Christmas is... I want a tree... I like Christmas trees. It wouldn't feel like Christmas with no decorations

Want is not the same as need.

Indeed it's not. I don't need to buy any gifts, but I do want to. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4Marie

You should invest in a tree after Christmas , or just before . Dunnes etc sell them for half price on xmas eve.
    You'll save yourself a bomb and the decorations and wrapping paper too. They mark them down on the last few days before Christmas.

I never taken out a loan myself, my brother had those provident people calling out to the house. Your right to avoid anything like that and of them high interest loans . The credit union need you to save for a number of weeks before you can get a loan my sister needed 11 weeks for a car loan it was her first loan for 9k.

I recommend asking a family member in passing in case they have an extra few bob or even better a Spare tree.

You can also sell of a few bits and bobs your not using anymore on adverts :)

Could even pick things up second hand

And for presents for the grown ups in the family we introduced a christkindl.
    Its easy to set up and you can set a limit on the spend.

4Marie wrote: »
    You should invest in a tree after Christmas , or just before . Dunnes etc sell them for half price on xmas eve.
    You'll save yourself a bomb and the decorations and wrapping paper too. They mark them down on the last few days before Christmas.

I never taken out a loan myself, my brother had those provident people calling out to the house. Your right to avoid anything like that and of them high interest loans . The credit union need you to save for a number of weeks before you can get a loan my sister needed 11 weeks for a car loan it was her first loan for 9k.

I recommend asking a family member in passing in case they have an extra few bob or even better a Spare tree.

You can also sell of a few bits and bobs your not using anymore on adverts :)

Could even pick things up second hand

And for presents for the grown ups in the family we introduced a christkindl.
    Its easy to set up and you can set a limit on the spend.

Yeah I find that a little weird. Them calling out every week. I suppose it's a way to be sure you're paying them. But still it's a bit off all the same. I could ask my nanny but I hate asking her for anything. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yeah I find that a little weird. Them calling out every week. I suppose it's a way to be sure you're paying them. But still it's a bit off all the same. I could ask my nanny but I hate asking her for anything. Haha.

With this one sentence I am getting a little suspicious if this is real.

However to answer the question as a poster said need is not want and sometimes need has to come first. It seems like you want to do a big lavish Christmas because you think you have to because of last year. You don't, you family understand your predicament if not they would have been grumbles last year.

• Advertisement

My feeling is to avoid those loans if you can. The rates are shocking and not worth it the Agro

Christmas is ages away anyway

See if nanny has an extra tree

And put a few bob aside each week as though you were paying back a loan

With this one sentence I am getting a little suspicious if this is real.

However to answer the question as a poster said need is not want and sometimes need has to come first. It seems like you want to do a big lavish Christmas because you think you have to because of last year. You don't, you family understand your predicament if not they would have been grumbles last year.

My nanny raised myself and my brother since I was 8 and he was 4. She has given us anything we ever wanted from then till now and I don't like to ask her for money or anything infact because she's done so much for us already. I want a good Christmas this year because I've had 4 **** ones. My girlfriend and I lived together 3 years ago but she went to her parents because she promised her sister she would for Christmas and I was alone for it, the year before my auntie was diagnosed with cancer, she died two years ago and last year we didn't get to have much of a Christmas because we were just in our new house on the 19th of December we were living in a B&B for months before that.. Yes I do want a lavish Christmas, because I haven't had a good one for years now.

It sounds like you deserve a good Christmas. Family is what makes it so special. Make the most out of everything you have and enjoy it. It sounds like your granny would do anything for you and your brother , you obviously want to make her proud. Good luck and if you don't ask she'll never know :)

4Marie wrote: »
    My feeling is to avoid those loans if you can. The rates are shocking and not worth it the Agro

Christmas is ages away anyway

See if nanny has an extra tree

And put a few bob aside each week as though you were paying back a loan

I am doing that, but it won't add up to enough you feel me. She doesn't. She's got like one wee baby tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

Credit union the best bet, worth inquiring further.
    Rather than going to the expense of a fake tree ~ some I saw priced for several hundred euro incl already decorated trees - would you consider getting a real tree for around 50/60 euro just this year and save up for a decent replacement fake tree during next year?
    Lidl have some nice decorations this week, also worth checking out some garden centres for their Christmas shops (they might also have a Halloween shop atm) as well as diy shops and some home department stores e.g home store + more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Folks, there is a line between financial advice and value judgements over what Christmas means. The former is welcome here, drop the latter

Advertisement