Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Podscast/vo equipment - query

Options
  • 22-10-2015 10:20am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    So I'm investing in some equipment so I can do podcasts and some VO work. I have to admit that the technology side of things is completely foreign to me but I have carried out research for about a week. I won't be using it for anything other than voice work.

Mods, if this is better elsewhere, please move thanks!

A few questions...

1) For the microphone I have settled on Rode but I am unsure whether to opt for the NT-1A kit (comes with shock mount and pop shield) or the newer NT-1 kit (comes with shock mount and pop shield) which is about 70-80 more expensive. From what I understand the NT1 is a better microphone but is it 80 euro better?

2) I'm also going to need a phantom power source and it seems that Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Usb Computer Audio Interface comes well recommended. Horever, for what I need (recording just vocal and perhaps adding sound effects), surely I can use the 2i2 or the solo?

3) I'm also going to be buying a new PC or Mac. Would you recommend one over the other for podcasting/ease of use/programs available?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

1 - NT1A is perfect for both. Especially if just starting off. Good for podcasts, decent for VO stuff too. As it's a condenser mic though, it will pick up a lot of sound from the room, so as much soundproofing/noise-dampening as you can manage will be important.

2 - You could use the solo but if you ever wanted to add another mic or a guest to the podcast, you're scuppered. Better off with the 2i2. The Focusrite stuff is good quality though.

3 - I can't say, I've always used Mac so would prefer it, but I don't think there's a huge difference between them and available software these days. Comes down to personal preference/price, I guess.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

mang0 wrote: »
    1 - NT1A is perfect for both. Especially if just starting off. Good for podcasts, decent for VO stuff too. As it's a condenser mic though, it will pick up a lot of sound from the room, so as much soundproofing/noise-dampening as you can manage will be important.

2 - You could use the solo but if you ever wanted to add another mic or a guest to the podcast, you're scuppered. Better off with the 2i2. The Focusrite stuff is good quality though.

3 - I can't say, I've always used Mac so would prefer it, but I don't think there's a huge difference between them and available software these days. Comes down to personal preference/price, I guess.

Good luck.

Thanks a million for the reply.

1) I had read that NT1 has a better Frequency Resonse than the NT-1A ( example of that) ) and that it was better for VO (which is primarily what I will be using it for). Yes, sound proofing and noise dampening is going to be absolutely crucial. Thanks.

2) Yeah I think I'll opt for the 2i2 as it will futureproof me better.

3) Yeah I spent an hour chatting with a guy in CompuB and it looks like a Mac might be good given I can use bootcamp to get a PC running on it too.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

I've used NT1A for VO stuff, I'd say the difference between the two in a non-studio environment would be negligible.

Advertisement