Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Hanley wrote: »

We tend to remove people from our private groups too when they leave the gym.

If someone leaves on "good terms" (eg we have a lot of students train over the summer and leave when college starts back cos of funds etc like you outlined) we tend to leave em in the groups.

But if someone just stops showing up and starts training elsewhere or whatever, of course we're going to remove them from a beneficial resource other members are paying for.

This is true, I think it was moreso their attitude along the way that annoyed him more than the being cut off.. he would have gone back if they had acted maturely about it, but there was a build up of things all the way along that pissed him off. It wasn't just him either, they have lost a lot of original members (me included) the last while due to similar reasons.. I could tell a hape of stories but I won't go there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Some jacked up Polish dude was sipping his drink and spitting it on the ground between his sets on the chest fly machine. Looked at me as if I was mental when I asked him to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Cazale wrote: »
    Some jacked up Polish dude was sipping his drink and spitting it on the ground between his sets on the chest fly machine. Looked at me as if I was mental when I asked him to stop.

WTF !! why did he think this was ok ? :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Gym culture in general is just creepy. Pull ups and a few other exercises are all you need, when I see some tryhard deadlifting I just have to wonder what the **** he thinks he's going to achieve. Stop reading bbing.com articles and do a normal fit person workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

BabyE wrote: »
    Gym culture in general is just creepy. Pull ups and a few other exercises are all you need, when I see some tryhard deadlifting I just have to wonder what the **** he thinks he's going to achieve. Stop reading bbing.com articles anddo a normal fit person workout.

To achieve what?

Also what is a "normal fit person workout"?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Gym culture in general is just creepy. Pull ups and a few other exercises are all you need, when I see some tryhard deadlifting I just have to wonder what the **** he thinks he's going to achieve. Stop reading bbing.com articles and do a normal fit person workout.

The health benefits. Google scholar is your friend there.

The practical, genuinely useful benefits of being stronger in your day to day life.

The fact that you're more physically attractive.

The confidence boost; that you actually achieved something that you should be proud of through hard work and discipline, with a bit of the old consistency.

The exercise/dopamine buzz you get when yous do a lift correctly.

Sometimes just good old, out compete the other lad over there.

All of that be where it be at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

its actually this part of gym culture that bugs me, people judging other people based on their work outs, oh you lift but dont do proper cardio.
    oh you only do cardio?

how give a ****, if their happy their happy why care about someone elses workout.

as an FYI strength work is scientifically proven to help with longevity and health in later life.

its actually this part of gym culture that bugs me, people judging other people based on their work outs, oh you lift but dont do proper cardio.
    oh you only do cardio?

how give a ****, if their happy their happy why care about someone elses workout.

as an FYI strength work is scientifically proven to help with longevity and health in later life.

Tell me how many of the population can do pull ups and other functional movements, you don't need to pick up a heavy af metal bar from the ground in set repetitions to achieve this.

Tell me how many of the population can do pull ups and other functional movements, you don't need to pick up a heavy af metal bar from the ground in set repetitions to achieve this.

no ones saying that.

my point is you are judging someone purely on how they workout. that lad doing deadlifts could be able to do weighted pull ups for all you know. the same as the guy doing 10 pulls up might not be able to run a mile. its all relative.

im still waiting for you to tell the rest of us what a ''normal fit person'' workout is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just after reading the thread, good laugh. I have a few stories myself which I'll return to at another time but re the guy pee'ing in the shower, there was once a dump taken in a shower cubicle in DCU. I had the joy of discovering it. When I said it at reception (very politely) the look of disbelief and horror on the receptionists face was priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

A lot more people can do pullups than pull 2x bodyweight off the ground. I deadlift and squat heavy to A) help me with sport I practise B) it will help me greatly later in life C) It's fun.

Also, how is deadlifting not functional? Do things float into your hands all the time without having to bend over?

What is your example of a good routine??

TheSegal wrote: »
    A lot more people can do pullups than pull 2x bodyweight off the ground. I deadlift and squat heavy to A) help me with sport I practise B) it will help me greatly later in life C) It's fun.

Also, how is deadlifting not functional? Do things float into your hands all the time without having to bend over?

What is your example of a good routine??

^^^ This!

Being able to dead lift a weight is more functional in the real world than being able to do a pull up.

^^^ This!

Being able to dead lift a weight is more functional in the real world than being able to do a pull up.

THIS!!

lets put if this way, if i was trapped under a car id prefer a dude who can deadlift over someone who can do pull ups any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Fat old man rubbing the antibacterial hand wash on his sack and under the folds of his fat belly. Right beside the water fountain. 7:30 in the morn. I've seen him do it four times this week.

Fat old man rubbing the antibacterial hand wash on his sack and under the folds of his fat belly. Right beside the water fountain. 7:30 in the morn. I've seen him do it four times this week.

gawk

Can beat it

Very thin lad in George St flyefit every morning, does not shower but chooses to wash himself (undercarriage and all) in the sinks!

THIS!!

lets put if this way, if i was trapped under a car id prefer a dude who can deadlift over someone who can do pull ups any day.

Bahahaha gymcels will justify any way they can as to why they do the most aspergers workouts imaginable.

''I do deadlifts to rescue people from beneath cars'' says Paul the accountant.:D

Bahahaha gymcels will justify any way they can as to why they do the most aspergers workouts imaginable.

''I do deadlifts to rescue people from beneath cars'' says Paul the accountant.:D

this post doesnt make any sense.

whats an aspergers workout?

whos gymcels?

what has paul the accountant got to do with anything? leave poor paul alone. :o

When was the last time you had to lift something?

When was the last time you had to do a pull up?

Still waiting for you to tell us what a "normal fit person workout" is?

i saw a guy lift a cart of apples off a kid today... he stole a loaf of bread...

oh no wait,,. that was the opening to les miserables... damn it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Why are people entertaining this trolling. The guy doesn't see the point of doing deadlifts and doesn't seem open to the idea of doing anything other than pull ups. I'm certainly not going to try to persuade him otherwise if he's closed off to it. Best of luck to him, keep doing the pull ups mate, it's better than nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I can deadlift my body weight +50%. Can't do a single pull up. I've never been able to. Funnily enough, I've always been able to pick stuff up... I don't care. Why?

Deadlifts are useful because sometimes I have to pick up heavy stuff. Pull ups are not because I never have to pull heavy stuff down.

Don't get me wrong. Given the choice, I'd like to be able to do a pull up. I'll keep trying...

Does the lack of sense in my post (all true, btw....) highlight the lack of sense in yours?

;)

An excellent post from one of the few fitness youtube channels worth a salt.

https://kinobody.com/workouts-and-exercises/squat-or-die-group-think-exposed/

Far removed from the others who make it seem fitness is the most groundbreaking thing in the world, Kinobody advocates that its just something to allow the rest of your life to flourish,that is that working out is a means to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

An excellent post from one of the few fitness youtube channels worth a salt.

https://kinobody.com/workouts-and-exercises/squat-or-die-group-think-exposed/

Far removed from the others who make it seem fitness is the most groundbreaking thing in the world, Kinobody advocates that its just something to allow the rest of your life to flourish,that is that working out is a means to an end.

I've had to deadlift in real life more often than I've had to Bulgarian split squat.

And most good people in fitness don't make it seem groundbreaking - it's the opposite.

And every exercise is a means to an end. His end is aesthetics, other people want to get stronger.

I've had to deadlift in real life more often than I've had to Bulgarian split squat.

And most good people in fitness don't make it seem groundbreaking - it's the opposite.

And every exercise is a means to an end. His end is aesthetics, other people want to get stronger.

But he put it in an article on the Internet with pictures. You can't argue with articles on the Internet with pictures.

And of course, neither position addresses those of us who just like going to the gym, lifting as much as works on the day as many times as works on the day, because you come out feeling great after the shower....

:pac:

endacl wrote: »
    But he put it in an article on the Internet with pictures. You can't argue with articles on the Internet with pictures.

And of course, neither position addresses those of us who just like going to the gym, lifting as much as works on the day as many times as works on the day, because you come out feeling great after the shower....

:pac:

Cope, you've lost what the gym is meant to be about and deep down the reason you go, to be deemed attractive by females. LOL bro yeah the cutie on the bike cares about your ****ing PR on your 'BIG 3':rolleyes:

Cope, you've lost what the gym is meant to be about and deep down the reason you go, to be deemed attractive by females. LOL bro yeah the cutie on the bike cares about your ****ing PR on your 'BIG 3':rolleyes:
    Dafuq are you talking about anyway?

:confused:

I'm going to drop it now, you can't reason with some people.

Well maybe explain what you mean as you have been asked several times instead of just insulting people and maybe you will get a discussion .

• Advertisement

Okbye

Well maybe explain what you mean as you have been asked several times instead of just insulting people and maybe you will get a discussion .

Probably something to do with...

"But we live in a society where weakness is embraced and celebrated, people should be empowered to recognise their faults, their weaknesses, their insecurities etc. and respond accordingly."

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100702130&postcount=153

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Serious question, how are pull ups any more functional than deadlifts?
    And why is it one verses the other. I do both, I'd consider ignoring either to be a flawed routine.

Let's go back to whingeing about the gym instead

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

bluewolf wrote: »
    Let's go back to whingeing about the gym instead

Lads wearing baseball caps, I don't understand it. I read earlier in the thread that people may wear hoods to isolate themselves from distractions but baseball caps don't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭VulcanRaving

No Matter how ripped you are, if you lift up your tshirt in front of a mirror out on the floor to check out your abs or take a photo, you are a douchebag...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I seen a guy down the pool have his phone on a towel at the edge. After every length he'd go onto Facebook.

Mellor wrote: »
    Serious question, how are pull ups any more functional than deadlifts?
    And why is it one verses the other. I do both, I'd consider ignoring either to be a flawed routine.

Why would I do deadlifts? You assume everyone wants to get big and strong, nope people find the likes of the mountain disgusting and ill be damned if i look like some powerlifter fatass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Why would I do deadlifts? You assume everyone wants to get big and strong, nope people find the likes of the mountain disgusting and ill be damned if i look like some powerlifter fatass

That lad Hugh Jackman is in awful shape from all those deadlifts alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why would I do deadlifts?
    You assume everyone wants to get big and strong, nope people find the likes of the mountain disgusting and ill be damned if i look like some powerlifter fatass

You didn't answer my question. You claimed you want functional training, I was asking what makes one more functional than the other?
    What do you do other than deadlifts.

I've no idea why you think being a fat powerlifter or the mountain are the only options? They are a tiny minority tbh. And a product of much more than one exercise.

But that logic, why do any exercise, unless you end up like a strongman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Ok
    The gym I am in has some serious lifters a lot do competitions and would spend hours in the gym..I cant lift heavy because of a bad back so all my sets would be very light with high enough reps..I do a lot of classes in the gym like step classes and circuits...on two occasions in the last few weeks I have told by two different people I should not be taking up room at free weights area and should go back into the woman's class..the little ****s who said are in the same group of 20 something year olds who like to be heard and seen in the gym and always work out in a group..I have seen them standing beside benches repeatedly asking people if they are nearly done ...I told them to **** off but they do intimidate a lot of people.
    I have spoken to manager and he said he will watch them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Yah! Like you're gonna accidentally wind up looking like The Mountain after a few deadlifts?

Suppose your're gonna tell us you get warts from the air in bicycle pumps or Facebook is going to start sharing our personal info if we don't copy and paste this message.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Serious Q - is everything ok?

It's unusual to see this level of zelatory without some deep seethed self loathing going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Yah! Like you're gonna accidentally wind up looking like The Mountain after a few deadlifts?

Suppose your're gonna tell us you get warts from the air in bicycle pumps or Facebook is going to start sharing our personal info if we don't copy and paste this message.

.... is that definitely not true, though?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hanley wrote: »
    Serious Q - is everything ok?

It's unusual to see this level of zelatory without some deep seethed self loathing going on.

Lol

But seriously Babye let it go. If your happy with your own health/training/appearance then be content with that and get on with it, different strokes for different folks and all that jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    .... is that definitely not true, though?? :confused:

It's only possibly true if someone with the papillomavirus has used the pump before you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Thanks... That possibly makes him a bigger pr*ck because now I'm wondering would he have done likewise if you were a bloke? Hmmm...
    Thats crazy, Id have laughed in his face.

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Fella in my gym stinks, always wears what look like the same clothes so I'm guessing they're not washed after each use. It's beyond BO, that horrible gagging smell. Doesn't use a towel either, brings a gammy bit of tissue around to half wipe down machines and benches.

The usual not putting equipment away and hogging it are the most annoying things. The general odd behaviour is more bemusing than annoying. One lad only uses the water fountain and never brings a bottle, seems strange to me, spends half his time walking over and back from it.
    Im guilty off this :o, purely I train with the rugby guys and weve lost our sense of smell, plus the wife said shes not cleaning all the gym gear anymore:(

If the posters hobby is free mountain climbing were all going to look really silly :pac:

Nokotan wrote: »
    Lads wearing baseball caps, I don't understand it. I read earlier in the thread that people may wear hoods to isolate themselves from distractions but baseball caps don't make sense to me.
    I wear a baseball cap in the gym, purely cause I dont trust the bastards not to steal them :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Charizard wrote: »
    Im guilty off this :o, purely I train with the rugby guys and weve lost our sense of smell, plus the wife said shes not cleaning all the gym gear anymore:(

Do you not know how to wash your own clothes.......?

• Advertisement
Advertisement