Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reclose

The bag draggers in the gym I go to aren’t carrying around gear/equipment to use during their workout.

I also have an irrational dislike of people super setting using two or three different pieces of equipment. It just comes across as selfish. I fully accept it’s relatively normal for people to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

It is for people that lift enough for it to matter

I actually fully agree with your superset opinion. I don’t think it’s acceptable to do that unless the gym is basically empty.

haha nice! I guess my 500kg bicep curls don’t matter 🙂

It’s probably a generational thing. I’d find it weird to see someone with a camera set up to record their workout in my gym.
    I’d probably understand it more in a more private setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

During Covid, our gym closed the changing rooms and encouraged (insisted in fact) that users carry a bag with them.on the gym floor. The showers where still open during this covid restriction period but with restrictions so you had people carrying bags around containing towels , toiletries, a change of clothes etc. After having no access to the gym for several months everyone was just happy to be back in the gym and got on with it...

After Covid became a thing of the past and restrictions had long since been lifted I continued to carry a bag around with me, albeit just with a hand towel, water, a few straps, gloves and my own personal resistance bands. Signs went back up saying 'due to health and safety reason no bags allowed on the gym floor'

... Somehow the gym went from been perfectly fine with every single user having a bag on the gym floor to have q zero tolerance policy in the space of 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I assume you meant 50kg not 500kg. 😉 I'd consider that pretty high.

But yes, 50kg curls don't matter, at least in that context. Bicep curls are not a competitive lift in weight lifting or power lifting. I don't think I've ever seen any videos of technical analysis of bicep curls (could be filmed for other reasons though).

For competitive lifts like squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches, etc. To get the most out of your potential, it's almost a prerequisite that you record and do at least some analysis. For a competitor, or any person/gym taking strength training seriously. Recording is totally standard in those instances and has been for a long time.

That's not to say every video ever in the gym as analysis btw. But that was the context specifically mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Amazing how people lifted big weights with good form before camera phones and tripods eh

People also used to lift without bars and weight plates. Amazing how as technology advances, people who want to progress optimally use it to their advantage 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I've trained with some monstrous competitive powerlifters who have never even brought a phone onto the gym floor!

It's deffo a generational thing!

It's standard now for the tiktok insta gym newbie! They all think they are the next Larry or Callum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭funkyuser

People managed to be fit and strong with very little in the past.
    But I imagine if you applied that to all your training you'd find quite a few holes in your logic.

TikTok/Insta bro nonsense videos are very different to training/technique videos referenced above. There's absolutely a toxic subculture around training and social media. Not hard to spot though. Some poser recording every single set of every exercise and expecting everyone works around them. lol. GTFO.
    Recording a squat PR attempt after 12 weeks program, check depth etc. Not even remotely the same as the poser.

I'm sure there are elite powerlifters who don't ever record their training. But probably don't need to if they have coaches or elite training partner providing feedback in real time. I'd associate it more with solo training.

Post edited by Mellor on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Filming lifts for analysis has become super common the last ten years but its been going on since the 00s. It just got a lot easier as smart phones developed. It goes hand in hand with more online and remote coaching.

I'm 40+ and I've been doing it for yonks, know a lot of others in the same age bracket doing it so I don't think it's 'generational'.

...Tik tok, fitness influencer content, that's generational alright.

Anyway- another bag carrier here, on lower body days anyway.

Wraps, belt, logbook, wedges,water, phone, straps etc. It's a no brainer. That doesn't mean you leave it where someone's gonna trip over it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,623 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A lot of people that powerlift would record their lifts and look for issues that you cant see when you're squatting, benching or deadlifting, in particular.

Usually on the heavier sets but if you're changing something, you might record earlier sets to see if you're getting it right and it's consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Recording your lift to study and improve your technique is absolutely normal and should be done by everyone now and then. You don't have to be a powerlifter to want good technique; lift light till you get the technique right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Theres a nappy arse in my gym lately. Every now and again there's a bang of **** off every machine. I'm well sick of it now. If you've a problem wiping your arse please stay at home you disgusting pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Ah ffs, that's rotten.

Turning up to the gym smelly is never OK.

I never go near gym without freshening up first. Clean gym gear, deodorant, I even have a weak but clean smelling cologne just for the gym. Never be the smelly cvnt in the gym.

Nothing worse than being stuck next to a person like that, if you're lifting it's bad but worse if you're doing cardio while breathing in someone's stench. I've given up on cardio a few times thanks to there being a smelly person beside me.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Same same... Sometimes I have to go straight from work and I'd rather shower before I go on the gym floor. I don't wanna be that guy. But honestly I'm sick of it now, once every 4 or 5 times I go there's a literal smell of sh1t off machines, the seats, the handles, on ropes. It's driving me absolutely insane because it's on MY OWN CLOTHES before I know it. It's vile. I've made a complaint to management and they've pointed me to the satitizer spray, which isn't good enough, there's enough staff there to clean machines. They can't physically sniff everyone's arse going in like but they could try cleaning equipment. It's 100% someone who can't wipe their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Christ! That would make me not want to go to that gym

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Dirty bastard he'd be turfed out of my gym for that shite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

☺️☺️ Awful though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Okay, a prime example of dick behaviour. I'm in the gym, doing my thing. Ten squat racks, all used, gym packed, peak time.

Girl occupying one rack. Empty barbell racked at squat height, bench in rack area about a foot forward, gym yoga mat out beside bench, medicine ball, two sets of light dumbbells.

She does a few squats with the empty bar, rests a couple of minutes, does chest flys or press with DBs on bench, rests, does twisty situp things with ball on mat, rests, does shoulder flys with DBs, rests, couple of other exercises, rests. Basically uses the rack once every 10 mins. Circuits. Worse than supersets for a hey-f-u I'll do what I like behaviour.There about 40 mins. People waiting for racks. Oblivious. Me, fcuking fuming. Take your bench and weights and f-off and do your circuits and leave the rack to people that need it, then come back, get a rack, and do rack work on the rack FFS.🤬🤬🤬

I think staff should have told her to stop hogging the rack.

That really where a member of staff should politely introduce her to a rackless squat variation. No need for it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Interesting Video from Clarence Kennedy regards some topics discussed above!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hold My Hand

The only problem I have with phones in the gym is gym goers talking on them. I’m guilty of bringing mine In solely to stay distracted by listening to my playlists while jogging

• Registered Users Posts: 24,623 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He goes full man-shouts-at-cloud at people listening to music and using earphones.

That's a serious mid Atlantic accent he's got going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

One way or another entertainment breeds complexity , one more devise to cause you issues trying to train.Short of doing an hour on one or 2 aerobic machines they tend to cause more hassle over time and just become an annoyance

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I actually agree there's something to the argument we're too focused on seeking the next media stimulation. Smartphones are addictive as ****, so no surprise.

Before smartphones, and media on tap, in your pocket, there were much more periods of time during your day where you'd pretty much have to pass the time with whatever was in front of you, or what you were working on. If you were on a bus, or in a waiting room, you were looking around and you were waiting. You couldn't whip out the oul phone and tap into pretty much the entire history of human knowledge and entertainment.

It was more boring. Was it more virtuous? I don't know, but I probably would have to say I find the addicitive aspect of smartphones, in any context, a bit worrying.

Were people more focused / productive on tasks? I don't know about that, if we're talking about just a bit of background music while they study, or they wait. If it's literally just during periods of waiting I don't think having a phone on hand should matter. We should probably acknowledge though that people use their phones instead of focusing on driving their cars… Instead of focusing on their gym workout at times… Instead of doing their paid work at times…

But in a gym context it's only if it takes away from your training that it's a problem, and that line to me is where you're literally spending more time on the phone than on your workout. If I'm training then, yes, I'd like some music on, for sure. The ubiquitous of personal devices and wireless ear buds now means that there's no reason for anyone not to listen to their own preferred music, rather than having to put up with whatever is being looped through the speakers by the gym.

I've listened to podcasts when training but yeah, I think educational/talky type stuff is best reserved for when you're driving or commuting, and can focus on it a little more. Maybe during LSD cardio is fine.

Advertisement