Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah that bugs me too.
    People should be trying to keep it as clean as possible not adding pissy germs to the mix.
    Same lads probably aren't washing their belts.

I only go no-gi but they do have signs in the gym about washing belts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Someone today had set a bench up parallel to the dumbbell racks and blocking off 50% of one rack. Cue two young lads doing alternating sets of various bench exercises on it - ignoring the many other free benches around the floor of course - and continuing to block off said rack. I politely waited until they were changing over and asked
    ''Would you mind if I just accessed the rack there for a minute?" to which I got an audible tut from one of them and a massive sigh from the other.

One of them somewhat aggressively then said "we're in the middle of a set". In response to this I said "Firstly, I'll be a second. Secondly, maybe if you moved the bench away from the rack people wouldn't have to interrupt your sets to get by you to access the rack".

Then I got an aggressive "the bench was there already". So I replied, "so because someone else was inconsiderate you have to be too?'. Cue another sigh. We left it at that. They didn't move the bench of course.

No doubt they're at home now thinking I'm the tool. Who does that old dude think he is asking us to move when we were beasting it with those 8kg dumbbells today...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

That dude that comes onto me at the end of the gym session (which coincides with the closing of the gym itself at 10pm) who often tries to make conversation and/or explain how to do certain things, like tricep extensions, while I'm with headphones and proceed to ignore, who ends up inviting me to have some pasta at the italian restaurant in the same hotel as the gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

gagomes wrote: »
    That dude that comes onto me at the end of the gym session (which coincides with the closing of the gym itself at 10pm) who often tries to make conversation and/or explain how to do certain things, like tricep extensions, while I'm with headphones and proceed to ignore, who ends up inviting me to have some pasta at the italian restaurant in the same hotel as the gym.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

2pt8mli.jpg

That made me laugh out loud.

Perfec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

whippet wrote: »
    A pretty **** thing to do on your part... if someone doesn’t use a lock it has zero effect on you and the availability of lockers. Just leave it be .. unless you like being an antagonist. If I walked in to the locker room and you were interfering with where my belonging were you’d be regretting it instantly.

Internet hard-man alert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

McCrack wrote: »
    Internet hard-man alert!

Well, he can deadlift nearly 300kg, so he’s prob not that soft in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Did you accept the invitation? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

To be fair the guy could be new to the area and trying to make friends. People are told to join clubs/gyms etc when moving to a new place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Then I got an aggressive "the bench was there already". So I replied, "so because someone else was inconsiderate you have to be too?'

Should of went with " if you needed help moving it you just had to ask"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Reading this thread Id be put off going to the gym. So many idiots out there. Luckily my gym is always empty and the few people I have encountered have been perfectly behaved.
    I left raw sandyford because two girls in particular always used the plyo boxes to put their cameras on for recording themselves. I know I could have asked to use them but I just felt I’d be the one accused of doing something wrong.
    Also three lads, two who worked out together and one thug always on his own would always drop the dumbbells. They would literally bounce all over the place and a few rolled over near me while I was using adjacent bench.

shutup wrote: »
    I left raw sandyford because two girls in particular always used the plyo boxes to put their cameras on for recording themselves. I know I could have asked to use them but I just felt I’d be the one accused of doing something wrong.

People always use the boxes to stand their phones on but I usually just ask for them for whatever I need them for, i.e. "Can I have that box for box squats?" and they usually accede. I don't think anyone has ever minded but if they minded me asking for a box to do an exercise because they had wanted it to stand their phone on, then I'm ok with them being p*ssed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Really? I put it back into the locker and lock the locker before showering. I would have assumed most would do this, no?

Yes, I find it a bit odd. I normally dont put my bag back in the locker but would do if I was in at a busy time or a time outside my normal gym time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Really? I put it back into the locker and lock the locker before showering. I would have assumed most would do this, no?

brownej wrote:
    Yes, I find it a bit odd. I normally dont put my bag back in the locker but would do if I was in at a busy time or a time outside my normal gym time.

I don't. I take my shower items and my towel out and put my used gear/trainers back in the bag and then put the closed up bag in under the bench so as not to take up any bench room or leave a trip hazard...
    ...sure I'm gonna be back 3-4 mins later pulling stuff out of the bag so whats the point in locking it all away again.

The people who leave their gear bag open, their towel, their used gym clothes, flip flops, toiletries bag etc spread out across the bench and floor while the **** off to the sauna/streamroom/shower and shaving area for 20+ mins, there's a special place reserved in hell for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

brownej wrote: »
    I find the few who leave their stuff on the bench are one of two classes;
    a) The items are just that, doesn't matter if they go missing, and although said items look expensive, I'm guessing are cheap knock-offs. This group of people are trying to make others jealous of their wealth.

b) Some sort of bro, who assumes other bro's will keep an eye on their stuff. Said bro's are usually chilled.

Me, I trust no-one, so would lock my stuff back in the locker, but the stuff is already in order so when I reopen the locker I'll be able to take out what I'll be putting on first.

the_syco wrote: »
    I find the few who leave their stuff on the bench are one of two classes;
    a) The items are just that, doesn't matter if they go missing, and although said items look expensive, I'm guessing are cheap knock-offs. This group of people are trying to make others jealous of their wealth.

b) Some sort of bro, who assumes other bro's will keep an eye on their stuff. Said bro's are usually chilled.

Me, I trust no-one, so would lock my stuff back in the locker, but the stuff is already in order so when I reopen the locker I'll be able to take out what I'll be putting on first.

I don't lock away my stuff when I shower. If my bag is stolen when I'm in the shower, the thief will get my sweaty gym gear, clean tshirt shorts joxansox for getting back to work, and a sh*tty old phone handset I use Notes to record my workout on.

Said thief would probably bring it back out of pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Did you accept the invitation? :pac:

The guy seemed alright (apart from the bro style) but as I was on my "peak diet" mindset, I didn't join him.

The guy seemed alright (apart from the bro style) but as I was on my "peak diet" mindset, I didn't join him.

You'd probably have increased your protein intake...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Definitely not 'annoying gym behaviour', this is just an observation but last night I saw a bloke bring a sponge with him into the shower area - not a small personal sponge, this thing was a big yellow car wash style jumbo sponge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

If we're talking about curiosities rather than annoyances, about a year ago I remember seeing a guy drinking protein milk at the gym. The avonnore/glanbia one. Nothing weird about protein during a workout, but the thought of drinking room temperature milk between sets would make me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Girls on Instagram being upset over breaking a nail in the gym.

Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Grow up.

breaking a nail is pretty sore, especially if it tears down too low, I tend to swear pretty f-ing loudly any time it happens to me which more often than not is in the gym. Probably wouldn't post it on insta tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The people who leave their gear bag open, their towel, their used gym clothes, flip flops, toiletries bag etc spread out across the bench and floor while the **** off to the sauna/streamroom/shower and shaving area for 20+ mins, there's a special place reserved in hell for them.

I fcuk their stuff onto the ground if it's in front of my locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

Not annoying but strange, I was going for a shower last night after my session, when I picked up my sponge to go shower, some guy eyeballed me all to way until I got there, eyes down kid is the rule,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

If we’re talking about petty grievances in the gym then it’s taking photos. People updating their insta and other social media crap. Some people cant work out without having some sort of photos taken so they can post them to social media, It’s like their workout is worthless unless you tell the whole world about it.

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Well, he can deadlift nearly 300kg, so he’s prob not that soft in real life

How do you know? Are you his fluffer or something

breaking a nail is pretty sore, especially if it tears down too low, I tend to swear pretty f-ing loudly any time it happens to me which more often than not is in the gym. Probably wouldn't post it on insta tho
    We're talking big gel nails here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Give over. Any more of that and it'll be a ban. Warned

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

We're talking big gel nails here.

They're actually pretty sore too, not to mention expensive

Brian? wrote: »
    Give over. Any more of that and it'll be a ban. Warned

Sorry I had meant to say spotter!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I fcuk their stuff onto the ground if it's in front of my locker.

perhaps you dreamt you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

Not quite 300kg just yet ... but with a few tweaks it will edge up a bit
    More

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Deshi Basara

What's with the excessive dislike of people recording training or taking selfies in the gym?

I record my barbell movements; video analysis to examine potential technical errors or shifting off bar path are extremely helpful when you're training alone. Not to mention; it's extremely satisfying to see a weight that was once a serious task become a warm up weight. Having footage is fantastic for measureable progress.

I've seen it happen & it's happened to me twice; other members waiting until you've started your set, then they walk (or in some cases, stand) in front of the camera.

I don't take up a lot of space, I use a tripod to mount my phone; so I rarely take boxes, benches etc & I try not to get anyone else in the frame when possible.

I honestly don't understand the hostility.

Same for the selfie thing - I don't do it myself, but if someone is proud of what they've worked for & it makes them feel good; who cares?

If you've worked hard for a physique you're proud of, more power to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

What's with the excessive dislike of people recording training or taking selfies in the gym?

I record my barbell movements; video analysis to examine potential technical errors or shifting off bar path are extremely helpful when you're training alone. Not to mention; it's extremely satisfying to see a weight that was once a serious task become a warm up weight. Having footage is fantastic for measureable progress.

I've seen it happen & it's happened to me twice; other members waiting until you've started your set, then they walk (or in some cases, stand) in front of the camera.

I don't take up a lot of space, I use a tripod to mount my phone; so I rarely take boxes, benches etc & I try not to get anyone else in the frame when possible.

I honestly don't understand the hostility.

Same for the selfie thing - I don't do it myself, but if someone is proud of what they've worked for & it makes them feel good; who cares?

If you've worked hard for a physique you're proud of, more power to you.

Nah. If you take selfies in the gym you're a twat. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

people saying they are using equipment when they were no where in sight and sound like you've just walked off with their mobile.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

But how else will they show they’ve been at the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Annoys me when I see people drinking Monster drinks during the gym. You're not some peak athlete that needs .5% energy to get that lift. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Used to love a can of monster, if it wasnt for it feels like im pooring liquid poison into my system id gladly drink it every training day. It's definitely not for athletes though tbf, just a way to get caffeine in for those of us that hate coffee

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thread was locked and a load of petty sniping deleted.

The next person to indulge in attacking other posters on this thread will be banned, no more warnings. I don't care if you're a long time regular or a relative new poster. It degenerates too quickly and ruins what should be a fun thread.

Now, have a lovely Monday morning everyone.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Used to love a can of monster, if it wasnt for it feels like im pooring liquid poison into my system id gladly drink it every training day. It's definitely not for athletes though tbf, just a way to get caffeine in for those of us that hate coffee

I'll on occasion have one of the energy shots from the vending machine before working out. I really notice an improvement in my workout that day. I'll always take one if I'm not feeling the best as it works wonders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Breakfast of champions !!! I love the stuff. :D

I have it occasionally before my workout because I can't drink Preworkout drinks.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Breakfast of champions !!! I love the stuff. :D

I have it occasionally before my workout because I can't drink Preworkout drinks.

I love monster but i'd never have it pre workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Grow up.

If you're talking about who I think your talking about, her nail literally split in 2,half way down the bed.im guessing you'd wince too!

it takes one to know one....as the saying goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

People leaving their soap, or shower gel etc behind in the showers.

You brought it in? Take it the F out with you you monderous bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

id say that annoys them more than you tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

id say that annoys them more than you tbh

Free shower gel. Score.

If you're talking about who I think your talking about, her nail literally split in 2,half way down the bed.im guessing you'd wince too!
    Just a general statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

givyjoe wrote: »
    Free shower gel. Score.

Sometimes when I'm in the shower in the gym and I need to pee and there's a discarded shower gel bottle there I remove the cap, pee into it, and replace the cap. Saves me going to the bathroom. I'm sure no-one would take someone else's shower gel bottle and use it on themselves so what's the harm, right?

Joke.......but any time I see a bottle left behind that's all I can think of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Annoys me when auld lads are there shaving in front of the mirror in the toilets. Shave at home you ass.

Advertisement