Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

You can superset using two different weights, depending on the exercises your combining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can superset using two different weights, depending on the exercises your combining.

2 different weights is reasonable imo.
    4 sets of dumbells, a few barbells and a bench is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Mellor wrote: »
    2 different weights is reasonable imo.
    4 sets of dumbells, a few barbells and a bench is not.

In leggo's case, I'd imagine possibly they each needed 2 sets of dumbbells, one per exercise, so 4 total.

No excuse for the picture though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

leaving bags around the gym is a bit ignant as well

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I might be asking too much from my fellow gym-goers, but if I'm using a single dumbbell for any exercise, I always make the effort to put it back on the rack beside another dumbbell of the same weight so that there's a pair side-by-side.

It annoys me when there's random, unpaired dumbbells dotted around the rack and I have to look for the one I want twice! Especially as the writing on the side is mostly rubbed off/faded on all of them so you can't just skim your eyes over the rack easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MSGSM

I once done a set with a 7kg DB and a 6kg DB for that reason. I was surprised I didn't notice right away. The 7kg was in my strong hand but as you said, it was annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

MSGSM wrote: »
    I once done a set with a 7kg DB and a 6kg DB for that reason. I was surprised I didn't notice right away. The 8kg was in my strong hand but as you said, it was annoying.

you used three dumbbells at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

silverharp wrote: »
    leaving bags around the gym is a bit ignant as well

and asking for a claim, I'd take a well choreographed dive over a bag if my gym was stupid enough to let people leave them on the gym floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

El_Bee wrote: »
    and asking for a claim, I'd take a well choreographed dive over a bag if my gym was stupid enough to let people leave them on the gym floor

Good lad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Deano7788 wrote: »
    In leggo's case, I'd imagine possibly they each needed 2 sets of dumbbells, one per exercise, so 4 total.

Yeah this, it’d be me and my mate so two each. And we’d be doing different exercises so need different weights for each. Often we’d be on the same so grand, but there’d be times when we’d be on different for everything and I’d be getting anxiety wanting to be done as quick as possible, even though we trained at around 2-3pm in a gym that’d be well stocked so probably inconveniencing nobody. But there’s always the fear of having a photo of your stuff taken and ending up on this thread!

stecleary wrote:
    you used three dumbbells at once?

Haha crap. Typo.

Was pretty clear. 4 or 5 sets. Between two people is different to one person.
    But I was taking about the hoarder in the photo.

Why would you need multiple dumbells for supersets?

Do you mean drop sets? I think they’re pretty annoying tbh. Cable would be a better option if you need them.
    Was pretty clear. 4 or 5 sets. Between two people is different to one person.
    But I was taking about the hoarder in the photo.

You literally questioned why he needed 4 sets when he said exactly that...

You literally questioned why he needed 4 sets when he said exactly that...
    A superset is two exercises. So hoarding 4 or 5 sets is non-typical, so I asked why - as clearly that was a logical reason. It's pretty simple question.

You suggested he meant 4 DBs total, sounds like he means 8-10. So I think it's fair to say there was some ambiguity.

leggo wrote: »
    Ah here. When my mate and I used to train together we’d be doing supersets sometimes, so you might have 4 sets of different dumbbells, with maybe a 5th if one of us might fail on one. Even at that I’d be mortified and quick to be done. That’s taking the absolute piss though and I’d have no issue taking one set on him if needed (the fact that someone was able to snap a pic means he just left them there too while filling up the water bottle). That pic actually stresses me out like.
    Why would you need multiple dumbells for supersets?

Do you mean drop sets? I think they’re pretty annoying tbh. Cable would be a better option if you need them.

A superset is two exercises. So hoarding 4 or 5 sets is non-typical, so I asked why - as clearly that was a logical reason. It's pretty simple question.

You suggested he meant 4 DBs total, sounds like he means 8-10. So I think it's fair to say there was some ambiguity.

I said 2 sets each, so 4 sets total. Never said 4 DBs total. He made it pretty clear that there was 2 people working together, hence the number of DBs. Don't really see any ambiguity in the above but anyway I'll leave it there

• Advertisement

Lads my workouts are not worth this level of discussion tbh. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Lads my workouts are not worth this level of discussion tbh. :pac:

How many hats were you wearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

One each, then one for each of the dumbbells to let everyone else know they’re in use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

In that picture I'd say someone is "running the rack" with bicep curls. It's a stupid way of doing it, just use the bleeding cable curl.

That's not to say running the rack is a good idea in the first place.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

vfOg0k0.jpg

Picture paints a thousand words.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

vfOg0k0.jpg

Monsters

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

That picture actually triggers me

Brian? wrote: »
    In that picture I'd say someone is "running the rack" with bicep curls. It's a stupid way of doing it, just use the bleeding cable curl.

That's not to say running the rack is a good idea in the first place.

That was my point. I think infinite reps at infinitesimal small weights is pointless. But if that’s your jam, go for it! But use the equipment designed perfectly for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

vfOg0k0.jpg

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

vfOg0k0.jpg

Jesus Christ.

This is the equivalent of the scumbags you see throwing an empty can of coke in the ground.

Pretty sure I saw that course layout on Ninja Warrior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

That one weight balanced on two others with a fully empty rack on either side is particularly grating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was that annoying **** in a hotel gym last night kicking the **** out of the bag. A woman came in to the studio part where the bag is and her body language told me she hated my guts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I was that annoying **** in a hotel gym last night kicking the **** out of the bag. A woman came in to the studio part where the bag is and her body language told me she hated my guts.

I admire your honesty at least. Own this experience. Let it be a lesson for you. You can move forward after this. Just don't do it again.

I admire your honesty at least. Own this experience. Let it be a lesson for you. You can move forward after this. Just don't do it again.

Not a single feck was given here tbh, I wasn't grunting it was just the noise of the kicks and combos landing on the bag. :pac:

When you think you’re getting a refreshing post where the poster is admitting to being the dick and they’re really just humble bragging about bashing a bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is a bag not there to be hit?:confused:

When you think you’re getting a refreshing post where the poster is admitting to being the dick and they’re really just humble bragging about bashing a bag.

Oh I'm admitting it, I just didn't care, a hotel gym is not the place to go to town on a bag imo, just regular place is closed for a week and I've a fight in a few weeks with another shortly after and I was being a bit lighthearted

Not a single feck was given here tbh, I wasn't grunting it was just the noise of the kicks and combos landing on the bag. :pac:

you really showed her and the bag who the alpha was brah

you really showed her and the bag who the alpha was brah

Yeah, that bag couldn't lay a glove on me, I was so hyped up I felt like going to the steam room and throwing a bucket of ice on the thermostat :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Gym instructors who find it necessary to mess around while at work.
    Last thing someone who's struggling with planking needs to see is a gym instructor doing handstands because they're bored right beside them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Gym instructors who find it necessary to mess around while at work.
    Last thing someone who's struggling with planking needs to see is a gym instructor doing handstands because they're bored right beside them.

It's a gym, you will see people of all capabilities. Learn to ignore them and focus on yourself. You'll be on a frustrating track in life if you can't learn to get over other people being better at something than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Zillah wrote: »
    It's a gym, you will see people of all capabilities. Learn to ignore them and focus on yourself. You'll be on a frustrating track in life if you can't learn to get over other people being better at something than you.

I think his point is that the gym instructor was too close to him and was in danger of falling ?

shutup wrote: »
    I think his point is that the gym instructor was too close to him and was in danger of falling ?

It didn't read like that was his point at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

It didn't read like that was his point at all.

I just re read it and you’re dead right. I picked it up wrong the first time

Saw someone over the weekend using a bench beside the dumbbells (against the wall/mirror) , also had a short barbell between the bench and the dumbbell rack , it was not possible to get near those dumbbells as the barbell was blocking that section. The gym wasn’t overly busy but still thought it was a bit selfish if there happened be a particular dumbbell you wanted. If they had shifted their bench back a metre it would have been grand.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

This is less annoying and more amusing, there is a fairly famous guy (or at least well known) in my GYM who likes to work out wearing gold rimmed sun glasses in the GYM. And they match his gold trimmed tracksuit too. To be fair the sunglasses are mostly on the top of his head but he does wander around with them on inside occasionally.

Plus the leather sandles when he is on the threadmill is an odd one, he must get blisters from that with no socks.

Still, each to their own I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Is it Elton John?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

This is less annoying and more amusing, there is a fairly famous guy (or at least well known) in my GYM who likes to work out wearing gold rimmed sun glasses in the GYM. And they match his gold trimmed tracksuit too. To be fair the sunglasses are mostly on the top of his head but he does wander around with them on inside occasionally.

Plus the leather sandles when he is on the threadmill is an odd one, he must get blisters from that with no socks.

It's Tony McGregor, what do I win?

rpurfield wrote: »

It's Tony McGregor, what do I win?

Coinage.

I thought sandals and no socks was verboten in any (civilised) gym?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I put my bottle on a bench today while I went to get weights. In the mean time, someone took it off and started using the bench. It couldn't have been more than 30 seconds.

Also today I went to get a weight of a rack, and as I picked it up someone said they are using it??? Like who leaves weights on racks if they are using them

• Advertisement
Advertisement