Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

1676869707173»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭mindhorn

Bored this morning so said I'd take a look at some of the Flyefit Jervis Street Google reviews. Turns out I'm not the only one bothered by this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Should be told to wear socks or deadlift slippers or whatever, at a minimum... Save the bare feet for your home gym for sure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Would have been a regular gym goer about 10 years ago - college, party lifestyle, giving up playing rugby and more latterly work and a house have kept me away, but happy to say I’ve been back to it for 8 months now and really enjoying getting back into the swing of it all

I go to a gym with a lot of younger 18-22 people and one thing I’ve noticed that I would hardly ever have seen is people going up to the mirrors and tensing their muscles having a good look at themselves like they’re on the stage in Mr Olympia haha

Is this something new??

Seems to be very unirish behaviour - if I did that 10 years ago when I was that age my friends would’ve slagged me mercilessly

Probably yes, they're less inhibited than we were.

I think they feel freer to acknowledge aesthetics as a motivation to train, they're more open about it.

Some guys grumble that it seems vain, but I think it's odd to disavow that fact that almost all of us train to look good, as well as - or on top of - other goals. It's no harm.

Being jacked (muscle mass) is also a really good indicator of metabolic health anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

I was back in Ireland recently and found a gym local that allowed me a 2 week casual membership.

Was a big spot with some great gear but was sadly let down by nobody using a towel on their equipment. In my local gym you’d get pulled up on that almost certainly the first time you did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Yeah I getcha

I wouldn’t begrudge anyone a quick little check of themselves, as you say, most of us are here to look better

But this was pure vanity, up there in front of the mirrors for a few minutes like…is this meant be for our benefit or what? There was nothing incredibly impressive on display in any case. Why not just do it when they’re at home?

Just seemed pretty crass, I was embarrassed for them tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭niallm77

People leaving dumb bells around where you place your feet at a station

Drives me mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've never seen anyone with a towel in mine, and I'm the only one who seems to wipe down things with blue roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not annoying per say but was peculiar and utterly baffling, ok annoying because of the distraction factor…Earlier a fella on a treadmill on the row in front of me and about 4 over… he was doing intervals from jogging to sprints and then he gets off the treadmill, leaves it on and running at quite a lick and goes for a walk around the area before he jumps on again, one break he’s lying on the floor doing stretches on the ground in the pathway , about 3 minutes later, he’s jumping back on the treadmill , this happened about 3 times…. Treadmill left running at speed each time….

He has the look of a real I dunno, eccentric sort, Freddie Mercury lookalike…handlebar moustache , hair cut short and barely there shorts and this odd behaviour…a very intense stare and demeanour…

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Sounds like an awful experience. Why not go run in a park man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

If he hums along to the tune "I want to ride my bicycle" while cycling and also stares intensely at fat bottomed girls, I might have a few more questions for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Different gyms have different rules. Insisting on a towel is more typical of a health club, hotel type gym. Due the clientele.

In a more higher performance, weightlifting gym gym is less likely to be a concern, so less likely to be enforced.
    Wouldn't bother me personally. Different strokes.

It's a rule in my gym though rarely followed.

There are lots of disinfectant wipes around since covid though, and i really appreciate these when you are taking a bench after someone and it's dripping in sweat.

Especially going home to a little baba afterward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

Yeah the towel things seems like a remnant of the luxury fitness era of Ireland from the 90s, where most people only encountered gyms through hotels and spas that wanted to posh everything up. Plus most of these places were already providing towels for the swimming pools they had anyway.

Honestly for resistance training, you shouldn't really be sweating so profusely that you'd need a towel. Particularly in this climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Jayzus I dunno what gyms you guys are going to but there's 3 that visit, 1 regularly and 2 occasionally and they all insist on users carrying a towel at all times and for everyone to disinfect machines after use with spray and paper towels.

Are any a particular chain or health club type? It’s common in the poshed up types places. But it’d be surprised if it made any actual difference.

If some body has sweated all over a bike seat, obviously they should wipe it down. Just to clean up.
    But a rule about towels on the seat back, is mostly about optics. There little point giving a seat a quick wipe to then grab the same weights, plates, handles as everyone. The change room/bathroom door, handrails and a dozen things you grab everyday are likely much dirtier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

West Wood insist on a towel and rightly so, even then the amount of people who don’t wipe their sweat off the equipment is worryingly high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭bmc58

Fancies himself it seems.Give him a little towel whip as you're passing (accidently ,of course).That would turn him the right way up pretty fast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I sweat before I even lift a weight even in the depths of winter (my gym has no heating). If I didn’t bring a towel, I’d be leaving a saturated bench every time.

Doesn’t bother me if people do/don’t use a towel. I prefer a bench not to be covered in someone else’s sweat before I use it, if it is it’s just a quick wipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

This gym clearly stated “No towel, no workout” as does every gym in one way or another where I live.

It’s not a big inconvenience to throw a towel on a bench etc before you use it. I even have one with a pocket section sewn in one end so you can hang it on a bench to stop it sliding off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

A few weeks ago I'm go to my gym looking to start with bench press. There is only one and someone is on it, not unusual, so I go an do start some on some other machine work until it's free. I'm halfway through my sets on the first machine I'm using and the person on the bench press finishes and another guy immediately gets on it. Fine I think, another 5-10 minutes and I will get on it after them.

An hour.

They were on it a full hour.

But not an hour straight, oh no. They did a set on the machine and then took a break. Nearly 5 minute long break. Note, this person was not in anyway a power-lifting and was not benching heavy (the weight wasn't heavy and they weren't struggling to finish their sets of ~8 reps or more). They then went back and did an other set. Then, during that break they took this ball-on-a-string-on-a-headband thing, put it on their head and started doing boxing jabbing and head movement drills with it (not very competently either, mind). After nearly 5 minutes, they went back and did another set on the bench press, then during their next break they wandered off to the other side of the gym and used one of the cable machines for a while. They continued like this for an hour - a set on the bench press followed by either using band or equipment from their bag, or going to a machine, or even just sitting in the corner on their phone. Note, they left their equipment and towel on the bench press the whole time and there is only one bench press in the gym (there are some free benches and two squat racks, so they can be set up for bench press, and I ended up doing that, but it's way more tedious).

Someone must have complained, because there are now signs on every wall telling people to only use a machine for 20 minutes.

He was there last week and did something similar but on the free benches - I was just finishing a set of incline bench press and he got the (only pair of) 22.5kgs dumbbells before I could get them for my next set. He then put them at the back end of the bench from where he was working on and then continued doing other work with other equipment, taking 3-4 minute long breaks, for over 15 minutes, before he actually came back and used them (I ended taking them while he had wandered off and doing my full set and putting them back before he noticed they were even gone).

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭mindhorn

The headband thing sounds hilarious. I can imagine Dr. Mike ripping the piss out of something like that.

Doesn't sound like you asked him to share the bench, even though he shouldn't be hogging it for an hour. There's no way I'm not asking him to allow me to jump in.

The headband thing was one of these: https://www.decathlon.ie/p/333587-143117-boxing-reflex-ball-kit-with-2-balls.html. I'm sure it's probably good for competent boxers working drills, but, eh, lets just say he seemed very new to it.

I kept thinking "surely he will be finished now" every time he came back to finish to a set and so kept holding back from saying something.

In his defence, isn't it wonderful to be so unselfconscious! Bopping around to one of those yokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Tiny moan for me (hotel gym)

People who bring their gear bag into the gym rather than using a locker. I can only assume they had a bad experience before with the lockers perhaps but they’d often stuff their bag between a machine etc.

Maybe a complaint for the sake of it but it just annoys me why they can’t do the normal thing of using the locker rooms.

Others (often of a certain minority) doing phone calls inside the gym floor shouting and roaring on it.

I've no issues with gyms having that rule. There house, their rules. But it they need to enforce it or it's a bit pointless.
    But I was just pointing out that the actual reason presenting a gym that way is about optics (which a valid marketing strategy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I mean, you should have opened your mouth and persuaded him to share the bench, and he was a dick doing circuits in the gym commandeering various bits of equipment. So both of you were at fault, to some degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

If a bench is visibly wet, yeah, I'll definitely spray and wipe it down.

If someone is sweating heavily, I've never found that them having a towel makes a difference. A bench or seat is still going to end up damp enough to make me want to wipe it down.

Then they are carrying their sweaty towel and laying it on all the other machines they uses. Super hygienic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

yeah, I don’t get the magic ability of a towel to sterilise equipment.

It’s a sweat soaked piece of clothes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement