Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Gym Behaviour - Mk2(?)

Comments

neacy69 wrote: »
    The youtube and instrgram generation would disagree with that especially the youtubers that are pulling in 10-100k views a month and up to $10k a month (guzman, rob lipsett, steve cook etc). All the younger lads these days are trying to emulate them - let them to it i say!

yes agreed, when it comes to training, actual technique and improvement tips etc. However I've seen lads filming each other doing basic things and taking pics of themselves actually because they're pumped up. I presume they look more impressive on their GRNDR profile.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

rusty cole wrote: »
    yes agreed, when it comes to training, actual technique and improvement tips etc. However I've seen lads filming each other doing basic things and taking pics of themselves actually because they're pumped up. I presume they look more impressive on their GRNDR profile.;)

Ahhh.. Annoying lads taking pics of eachother. They must be gay and on grindr. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

brownej wrote: »
    Ahhh.. Annoying lads taking pics of eachother. They must be gay and on grindr. :rolleyes:

Only the gays are allowed be proud of their body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Only the gays are allowed be proud of their body.

Well then paint me pink and call me Suzie :pac:

yeah cos that's what I was saying. It was a tongue in cheek Friday remark.
    I didn't realise the quentin crisps on here would get their Panti Bliss in a Knot!!

sorry to have touched a nerve there lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

can i add that eating just full stop shoudl be banned in the gym...

like take it outside, in the gym this morning and some lad is horsing into his tuna while sitting on a bench.

*gawk*

i get some people need to eat during or before/after a workout but in the actual gym? take it outside to reception or your car or something...

uck uck uck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

rusty cole wrote: »
    yeah cos that's what I was saying. It was a tongue in cheek Friday remark.
    I didn't realise the quentin crisps on here would get their Panti Bliss in a Knot!!

sorry to have touched a nerve there lads.

Yeah the gays are real sensitive.
    Probably didn't realise it was casual homophobia Friday and should chill out! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Yeah the gays are real sensitive.
    Probably didn't realise it was casual homophobia Friday and should chill out! :rolleyes:

*ANUS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

This thread generally irks me (not annoy, I didn't say annoy!) so I don't pop in too often.... but that story about the dude asking the other dude to get off a treadmill because they were only walking is f*cking nuts! No amount of 'go f*ck yourselves' would have sufficed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

can i add that eating just full stop shoudl be banned in the gym...

like take it outside, in the gym this morning and some lad is horsing into his tuna while sitting on a bench.

*gawk*

i get some people need to eat during or before/after a workout but in the actual gym? take it outside to reception or your car or something...

uck uck uck

are you serious? he could miss the anabolic window, that tuna is literally converting straight to gains

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    This thread generally irks me (not annoy, I didn't say annoy!) so I don't pop in too often.... but that story about the dude asking the other dude to get off a treadmill because they were only walking is f*cking nuts! No amount of 'go f*ck yourselves' would have sufficed...

im a girl i was asked by a guy to get off the threadmil, not sure if effects your opinion of the story though, just an FYI.

jive wrote: »
    are you serious? he could miss the anabolic window, that tuna is literally converting straight to gains

does he have to eat it in the workout area though??
    like next to the foamrollers?

sit in your car or reception of something,..

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

im a girl i was asked by a guy to get off the threadmil, not sure if effects your opinion of the story though, just an FYI.

Thanks... That possibly makes him a bigger pr*ck because now I'm wondering would he have done likewise if you were a bloke? Hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Was actually thinking this morning, it would be cool if there was also a "super nice and helpful gym behaviour" thread to highlight all the positive stuff as well.... but then, two incidents today, maybe it's the heat...maybe it's just me being over sensitive :o

First incident:
    A guy was using a bench and the squat rack (alternating). Went over and I asked if he had many more sets with the rack, and he said "yeah, kinda".

I replied "no problem, just wanted to know if you were nearly finished or if you will be a while longer so I can go off and do something else while I'm waiting - so you'll be about 10 mins or so then anyway?"
    He replied "Yeah, I have 3 more sets to do inbetween benching"
    "No problem, I'll do something else and come back in a bit so"

I walk over less than 10m away to the cable station (it's a small gym) thinking I'll do 3 quick sets of pushdowns (about 5 mins) keeping an eye on the rack during my rests and then head over and do some stretching/warm up closer to the rack.

I am literally just finished the first set of pushdowns when I look over at the rack and see yer man talking to another guy at the rack, guy 2 then starts overhead pressing and guy 1 walks off with towel etc. He passes me on his way out and I say "You're finished already there are you?" and he says "eh, yeah..... eh another guy jumped in to use it though" and walks off.

If he was only going to be 90 seconds why didn't he say that instead of telling me he was going to be 10 minutes? :mad: I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he just felt tired/had had enough so decided to call it a day early but seriously, I was close enough that he could have popped over and let me know given I had asked maybe 90 seconds or less previously.

Second incident:
    I am supersetting leg extensions and lateral raises - halfway through a set of LRs guy sits in on the LE and says "can I use it?". I say "sure, no problem I'm doing supersets so you can hop in" just in case he thought I was finished with the LE and just standing in the way of it (as some people tend to do). I did not realise "can I use it" meant 20 reps with a 20 second rest x 10 sets (no exaggeration) before he finally gets out of the seat. I mean he could have split it up into 3 sets at a time given I was waiting. After the earlier incident my tolerance was a little thin so it probably annoyed me a lot more than it would have on its own normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Not annoying behaviour but it did amuse me.

I have seen a number of younger guys taking preworkouts in the gym by dumping the scoop directly into their mouth and then taking a swing of water to wash it down. I'm assuming it's coming from YouTube where youtubers are trying to sell a brand so they want the supplement container to be seen on camera.

This bunch of lads usually crowd around and egg each other on to see who can take the most which almost always ends up with one or two of them dry heaving.

Have also seen a lad do it in changing room with a tub of whey..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

JJayoo wrote: »
    Not annoying behaviour but it did amuse me.

I have seen a number of younger guys taking preworkouts in the gym by dumping the scoop directly into their mouth and then taking a swing of water to wash it down. I'm assuming it's coming from YouTube where youtubers are trying to sell a brand so they want the supplement container to be seen on camera.

This bunch of lads usually crowd around and egg each other on to see who can take the most which almost always ends up with one or two of them dry heaving.

Have also seen a lad do it in changing room with a tub of whey..........
    Have seen this as well. Its hillarious to watch. Looking forward to seeing some lads deciding to snort their preworkout eventually.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

JJayoo wrote: »

Isn't there a serious amount of caffeine in just one serving of most of these pre workouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Isn't there a serious amount of caffeine in just one serving of most of these pre workouts?
    Probably about the same as a strong coffee/espresso per scoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Have seen this as well. Its hillarious to watch. Looking forward to seeing some lads deciding to snort their preworkout eventually.....

Not that I'd do it, I prefer the "traditional" way ;) but try dipping a wet finger in your prework out powder and licking it. It kicks in straight away !!

I can see why necking a spoon full with water to rinse down might be quicker but its not really that nice :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

When people drive a stolen car into your gym and set it on fire. Hate that. Not as bad as Dre Beats or Gold's Gym singlets though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Was doing an upper body super-set on a seated bench (on pretty quite afternoon in gym) so had dumb bells and a barbell in front of me which was used in 4th set for curlz. Was in middle of my set incline DB overhead press with headphones on full blast when guy starts getting into my line of view and speaking to me (which i cant hear) and gesturing to take away the barbell - so while pushing the DBs up red faced shook my head incredulously and told him no. This was a specific weight barbell of which there is probably only 2 in the gym but it was clear he hadn't even looked for this other one after seeing mine.
    Can't understand how people think its ok to do this mid-set?

Also one time sitting on bench press after finishing a set was leaning forward had music playing again between sets, and someone walked over behind me & took a 10kg plate off one side of my bar without me seeing it! pretty dangerous stuff unbalancing the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

srm23 wrote: »
    Was doing an upper body super-set on a seated bench (on pretty quite afternoon in gym) so had dumb bells and a barbell in front of me which was used in 4th set for curlz. Was in middle of my set incline DB overhead press with headphones on full blast when guy starts getting into my line of view and speaking to me (which i cant hear) and gesturing to take away the barbell - so while pushing the DBs up red faced shook my head incredulously and told him no. This was a specific weight barbell of which there is probably only 2 in the gym but it was clear he hadn't even looked for this other one after seeing mine.
    Can't understand how people think its ok to do this mid-set?

Also one time sitting on bench press after finishing a set was leaning forward had music playing again between sets, and someone walked over behind me & took a 10kg plate off one side of my bar without me seeing it! pretty dangerous stuff unbalancing the bar.

This wasn't in Ben Dunnes by any chance was it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

someone walked over behind me & took a 10kg plate off one side of my bar

Girlfriend nearly did the opposite recently in a gym which was new to her, decline bench has built in posts which stick out horizontally to stack plates when not in use. She picked up a 10kg plate, quickly turned 180° and thought she was putting it on one of the storage posts but very nearly put it onto the end of the barbell while a guy was mid set.

I had a laugh and so did the guy benching but girlfriend was mortified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

I think you told me this story last week in the gym! If not, it was someone else with an incredibly similar story:D!

One thing I cannot stand is when people don't let other members work in with them who are doing similar weights, particularly on the squat rack. I can understand if the weights being lifted are very different, in that case it's easier to wait.

I was doing leg day last night and saw that all the squat racks were being used. I saw a guy on one of the racks who had two 20kg plates on the bar (60kg total) and asked if he had many sets left. He said he had loads of sets left, so I asked if I could work in - he agreed but seemed a bit reluctant for some reason which I thought a little odd to begin with considering I was starting with an empty bar and working up - obviously I have no problem loading and unloading plates in between sets! I got one set in and he pointed out that the rack beside the one we were using had now become free (in other words f*ck off to the other rack). I was a bit surprised and slightly insulted but thought fine, it's easier to just move and let it go without fuss.

As I walked towards the other rack, another member got there at the exact same time from the other direction, which created an awkward moment. Luckily for me, the other guy was sound and we agreed to share the rack with no hassle whatsoever. The funniest part was that when the first guy was finished, he told the guy I was now sharing with (as I prepared to lift) that he was finished and the rack was now free for him if he wanted it. He obviously replied, no thanks, I'm grand here.

I just thought it was weird behavior and totally unnecessary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was doing leg day last night and saw that all the squat racks were being used. I saw a guy on one of the racks who had two 20kg plates on the bar (60kg total) and asked if he had many sets left. He said he had loads of sets left, so I asked if I could work in - he agreed but seemed a bit reluctant for some reason which I thought a little odd to begin with considering I was starting with an empty bar and working up - obviously I have no problem loading and unloading plates in between sets! I got one set in and he pointed out that the rack beside the one we were using had now become free (in other words f*ck off to the other rack). I was a bit surprised and slightly insulted but thought fine, it's easier to just move and let it go without fuss.

As I walked towards the other rack, another member got there at the exact same time from the other direction, which created an awkward moment. Luckily for me, the other guy was sound and we agreed to share the rack with no hassle whatsoever. The funniest part was that when the first guy was finished, he told the guy I was now sharing with (as I prepared to lift) that he was finished and the rack was now free for him if he wanted it. He obviously replied, no thanks, I'm grand here.

Exact same thing happened me last night.

Except I was the really sound one in the whole debacle

Exact same thing happened me last night.

Except I was the really sound one in the whole debacle

Ha, that's hilarious!:D Just goes to show, you don't know who is reading these threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Not an annoying behaviour per sae, but the gym I'm in has a few overweight personal trainers. Is this a common thing? Do people go to people like this for health slimming/toning advice or just simply to learn proper form?

Not an annoying behaviour per sae, but the gym I'm in has a few overweight personal trainers. Is this a common thing? Do people go to people like this for health slimming/toning advice or just simply to learn proper form?

i dunno, its one of those things, yes you can be a great PT if you are overweight or underweight it wont impact your ability to do your job unless you work out with the clients, however in this day and age when image is everything will it impact your business?

i guess it also depends a guy (a PT) in my gym is a bit overweight, but only because he has lost a ridic amount of weight and still working on it.

he had alot of clients because he can relate on a different level to the other PTs.

then again my PT is a total ride http://dansweeneypt.ie/ so i cant complain either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I find it hard to believe a PT could genuinely understand how to make someone fit if they haven't been through it themselves, and I doubt their ability to motivate anyone if they don't have the motivation themselves.

Learning something in an academic sense and having lived the experience are very different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Zillah wrote: »
    Learning something in an academic sense and having lived the experience are very different.

This is especially true in fitness, I reckon. Same time, who knows what's going on with those guys' lives that has them overweight right now...

I think it very much depends on what the focus of their training is tbh. Obviously in many cases an overweight PT is just overweight. But it's massively incorrect to assume that everyone in the gym wants the same body.

His business could be geared towards training people for strength rather than aesthetics. That weight could be intentional for a sport he competes in, etc
    Or maybe not

Mellor wrote: »
    I think it very much depends on what the focus of their training is tbh. Obviously in many cases an overweight PT is just overweight. But it's massively incorrect to assume that everyone in the gym wants the same body.

His business could be geared towards training people for strength rather than aesthetics. That weight could be intentional for a sport he competes in, etc
    Or maybe not

Big difference between fat and strong-fat though. Power lifters aren't potatoes.

Big difference between fat and strong-fat though. Power lifters aren't potatoes.
    Yeah absolutely, that's the point.
    And that a lot of people who are in the gym for the first time. Aren't aware of that difference. So they look a big-strong powerlifter in the gym and think "that guys a bit fat for a PT"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

One thing I cannot stand is when people don't let other members work in with them who are doing similar weights, particularly on the squat rack. I can understand if the weights being lifted are very different, in that case it's easier to wait.

Some people just like to get on with their gym session.

Personally when someone asks to jump in with me doing squats or whatever i would allow them but id rather be just left to my own devices. Mainly because i dont want to feel rushed, or feel like im rushing them. If i want to take a longer break after a set then i like to without the other person having to stand there awkwardly.

I'm not sure why this would surprise anyone. It's a perfectly reasonable suggestion, surely. People generally 'work in' due to lack of free equipment, not for the social gratification.

Some people just like to get on with their gym session.

Personally when someone asks to jump in with me doing squats or whatever i would allow them but id rather be just left to my own devices. Mainly because i dont want to feel rushed, or feel like im rushing them. If i want to take a longer break after a set then i like to without the other person having to stand there awkwardly.

I'm the same. I can generally time my workouts so as to never be in a gym crowded enough for that to be a problem, thankfully. I've never actually told someone outright I'm not willing to share, but I really don't like them asking. With a machine with easily changed weights, not too bad, but a bar where plates have to be moved around between sets? Fup off.

I get that it's not the popular position but I'm not in the gym to make friends and I find swapping around really distracting.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I'm not sure why this would surprise anyone. It's a perfectly reasonable suggestion, surely. People generally 'work in' due to lack of free equipment, not for the social gratification.

It has nothing to do with social gratification, I personally have very little interest in socialising in the gym - if someone talks to me, I will be polite and chat briefly if I'm in between sets but I don't go looking for "social gratification" in the gym!! It's a simple fact of sharing the equipment when the gym is very busy, which it was (this happened on a Monday night between 7 & 8 - probably the busiest time of the week!). In this instance, there were 3 people looking to use 2 squat racks, all lifting in and around the same weight (so not much plate changing) - 2 of the 3 were happy to share the equipment, one was not.

I would much rather have the rack to myself as well but when the gym is really busy, I have no issue letting someone work in so that they can get their training done rather than have to wait for me to lift, rest, lift, rest, etc. If someone asked me did I have many sets left and I had any more than 2, I would explain that and offer to let them work in so they don't have to ask. All I'm saying is that I would expect the same courtesy from others so we can all get our training done.

It's a simple fact of sharing the equipment when the gym is very busy, which it was (this happened on a Monday night between 7 & 8 - probably the busiest time of the week!). In this instance, there were 3 people looking to use 2 squat racks, all lifting in and around the same weight (so not much plate changing) - 2 of the 3 were happy to share the equipment, one was not.
    I think he was saying was that pointing out the other rack became free was not an unreasonable thing to do. At that point there were presumably 2 people using 1 squat rack.

It really depends on the specifics of the situation. If you were both squatting the same weight, and had one of you has 1 or 2 sets left. Then there little point moving. On the other hand, if you on you was squatting 50kg+ and had 5 sets left, on a timed intervals. Then it makes sense to move.

I generally have no problem letting other to work in as I hate waiting around myself. But its rarely need as I train at lunch and we have 12 or more racks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

my coach is a huge lad and to people who don't know him would laugh at the notion he works in a gym .!!

Mellor wrote: »
    I think he was saying was that pointing out the other rack became free was not an unreasonable thing to do. At that point there were presumably 2 people using 1 squat rack.

It really depends on the specifics of the situation. If you were both squatting the same weight, and had one of you has 1 or 2 sets left. Then there little point moving. On the other hand, if you on you was squatting 50kg+ and had 5 sets left, on a timed intervals. Then it makes sense to move.

I generally have no problem letting other to work in as I hate waiting around myself. But its rarely need as I train at lunch and we have 12 or more racks.

That's exactly what he was saying.

The salient point in slicus ricus' post was what an utterly sound mu'fugga I am :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

OK I got one for this thread finally - people who leave big pools of water in the Dry area of the changing room. Does my head in. Nothing worse than accidentally stepping in one when in your socks, halfway through getting changed.

Nate

whippet wrote: »
    my coach is a huge lad and to people who don't know him would laugh at the notion he works in a gym .!!

i think alot of people forget that extreme weight loss is as much a mental game as it is physical.

while my PT has never been over weight so couldnt relate to the tougher times i went though, however i was only able to explain after i had dropped the weight why i struggled sometimes.

there is a PT in my gym who lost a rake of weight and he seems to be pretty clued up.

People hogging more weights that they could possibly reasonably use. I saw a guy recently with five sets of dumbells all at once, four piled in front of the seat while he stood behind it using one pair. A guy went to take one of the pairs - because obviously he couldn't possibly be using all of them at once - and the hogger roared at him (literally shouted, he was wearing headphones and presumably trying to hear himself over his own music) that he was using them. He shouted three or four times, with the whole gym turning around to look at him.

Jackass.

• Advertisement

yeah I've had this myself, not to be a xenophobe but a lot of them are polish, must be a cultural thing. I find some of the eastern European lads and lasses, quite greedy when it comes to sharing equipment. I've seen 2 digging matches and both started by these type of lads hogging everything.

This lad was probably Brazilian by the look of him - not that I would expect it to matter. For what it's worth I've never gotten the impression that our more soviet friends were any worse than your average gym-goer.

nah it doesn't, we have our own brand of homegrown eejits here too but the multi weight hoggers I've seen are usually from the east!! Not Dublin...farther!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

This lad was probably Brazilian by the look of him - not that I would expect it to matter. For what it's worth I've never gotten the impression that our more soviet friends were any worse than your average gym-goer.

People are usually afraid to approach them, cause they are usually quite big. Most wouldn't hurt a fly though.

They took er jerbs weights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement